KSR Show Thread 7/16: Harrison County stand up!

With John Calipari’s interview on KSR taking up the bulk of Wednesday’s show, Harrison County Day on the Blue Lights Across the Bluegrass (Virtual) Tour had to be postponed a day.

But that doesn’t mean the beloved city in Northern Kentucky won’t get the respect it deserves.

This morning, Matt Jones, Ryan Lemond, and Drew Franklin will break down all things Harrison County, along with all of the latest news in the world of UK Athletics.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

83 Comments for KSR Show Thread 7/16: Harrison County stand up!

1. Laker Cat 18
    10:01 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

The coaches who talked smack about the players in yesterday’s article are pathetic. Talk about coaches all you want, but leave the players out of it. They’re not professionals and they’re paying your bills.

10:08 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

I hadn’t read it until just now. Pretty low class to say some of the stuff they said. But The Athletic deserves some of the blame for encouraging it. That type of article is not new, and they always contain at least some of that stuff.

• runningunnin.454
      10:11 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Yep, I doubt they would say things like that without the cloak of anonymity. I doubt his employer would approve of calling a young man “trash”.

• Realme
      10:12 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Be a shame if next time this crap happened, the reporter got hacked and the anonymous creeps got exposed.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:13 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

It’s got Will Wade written all over it.

10:29 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Yep, I would love to see those coaches exposed for what they said. Totally uncalled for.

10:44 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Unfortunately, I don’t think there’s any way they will be exposed. The Athletic isn’t going to give up that info if they want further access to those coaches, and there is really no good way for another coach to out them.

10:49 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Where’s wikileaks when we need them? 😉

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:12 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

I’m pretty sure that’s the first time in my life I’ve heard someone say a defensive specialist was a selfish player for going for steals and deflections. I suppose it’s possible, but it doesn’t seem very likely. If he is a selfish player, I would think it would manifest itself in other ways, like complaining about PT and whatever that was that made him miss the Florida game. I forget.

Anyway, yeah, for a coach to publicly, but anonymously, call a player trash is beyond the pale. It’s chicken crap.

2. Realme
    10:09 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Never heard anyone describe Cynthiana as Northern Ky before.

10:10 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I had to do a double take after I wondered to myself what town in N. KY they were referring to.

3. Realme
    10:11 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Don’t tell him I said so, but Terry looks weird.

10:17 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

^ Anonymous coach. lol

• Realme
      10:18 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Oops hope I don’t get hacked.

10:19 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

I actually do like the shorter hair, but that’s not a very good haircut, imho.

• runningunnin.454
      10:24 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Nah, high and tight; he’s ready for war.

10:24 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

I think it’s kind of like when a guy shaves his beard – it just looks weird for a while until you get used to it. I liked the dreds – I thought they looked cool on him, but I suppose he just wanted a change, or maybe he is looking to project the image that he is serious now and more mature and ready to get down to business. He’s still a good looking guy, and a great young man. Pulling for him, if we ever get to play football again. 🙁 Mask up everyone so we can get there faster!

10:27 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Speaking of guys shaving their beards, I’m not quite halfway through season 6 of Justified, and Sam Elliott (with no facial hair at all) plays the main villain. It’s distracting how weird he looks.

10:30 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Wow, that would be like Burt Reynolds shaving his mustache, or the guys from ZZ Top shaving their beards (at least the ones not named “Beard”). 🙂

10:36 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Here’s what I’m talking about, hopefully this works. Plus he still has that strange thing going on with his head leaning hard one way or the other. https://images.app.goo.gl/Jgt1uoiiYcjnNxxH6

• runningunnin.454
      10:40 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Wow, he cut off the wiggling mustache? No more Doritos commercials? That would actually be good in a movie.

10:49 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Back on topic, though, I was almost afraid to play that video. Felt like I was jinxing the chances of having football season by getting fired up about it.

4. Laker Cat 18
    10:26 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

A show I completely forgot: “Truth Be Told”

It’s on Apple TV+…highly recommend. Free trial, only $5/month. I only subscribe when there’s a show I want to watch on there.

5. JTHinton
    10:26 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Matt is naive and idiotic to think 8 weeks of vilifying all police didn’t contribute to this.

If you want to read something scary, look up how much violent crime is up this year from last in large cities, even with an 8+ week shutdown!

• runningunnin.454
      10:31 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Yep, no one died; the police have more important things to do, I would imagine they stay pretty busy.
      When I was about ten, Dad took me to Detroit to see some baseball; we were about a block from Tiger Stadium, and we saw two guys fighting. One guy pulled a knife and stabbed the other guy. We were with my great uncle who lived in that neighborhood, and he said, “C’mon, let’s go”.
      We heard later, the guy died.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:33 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Also, did he actually have the nerve to tell that caller a minute ago to “STICK TA SPORTS!!!”.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:27 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Just listened to an interview of Ron Kordes, the Assumption Volleyball head coach and the guy behind KIVA Volleyball Club. Pretty impressive resume, and a big reason that Louisville (and now the entire state) is known as a volleyball hotbed nationwide. He has a reputation of being very tough, hard nosed, competitive, but he also projects humility and concern for the well-being of his athletes. Big time respect here.

7. Realme
    10:37 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Cal doesn’t usually talk like his team is going to be good??? What hole did Matt just crawl out of. He does that every year.

• runningunnin.454
      10:42 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

He usually says, “I like my team”. This is a little different…hope they get to play.

• Realme
      10:45 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Oh he says a lot more than that. As does Matt. Every year he pretends to be hearing inside info that this team is gonna be special. Then if they’re not one of the top teams, he pretends he knew all along something wasn’t right.

10:46 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

I think he doesn’t always sound giddy about how everybody buys into the culture of the program, and I have heard more of that this off-season. I guess we will see. I’m too worried about having sports at all to get all caught up in having expectations.

10:47 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Well, I thought that last year’s team WAS pretty special. I just wish they had a chance to prove it. 🙁

8. cats646
    10:44 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

I bet the coach that called Hagans Trash was Bud Foster. He’s still mad we ruined his last game. Lol. F*** him always.

• Realme
      10:47 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha yes!

10:51 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

I had almost forgotten about that Freddy Krueger looking dude. Welcome back, btw.

• cats646
      10:55 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Lol. Thanks Clutch. I made my triumphant return just to cuss that lunch pail totin’ Son of a b***h. Haha

• runningunnin.454
      10:55 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

The football coach?

• cats646
      10:56 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Also, I’ve never thought about him looking like Freddy Krueger. Haha. He really does look like him!!

• cats646
      10:57 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Lol. Yea runnin’. I just still hate that man

11:00 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Not just any football coach, rg. Bud Foster literally invented the concept of defense in football. He is so great, even the fact that his defense is getting shredded and allowing a team with no QB to march down the field for the winning TD isn’t enough for the cameras to look away from his countenance.

• cats646
      11:05 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Damn right Clutch. I mean if Lynn Bowden and Mark Stoops used a football to do open heart surgery on Marquan Macall at the 50 yard line the cameras wouldn’t have even thought about panning that way, because the great Bud Foster was doing more important things like planning his retirement. Lol

11:11 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Bud Foster will save the world from the coronavirus. Write it down.

• cats646
      11:13 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Haha. That’s why he retired RCF. He saw what was gonna happen in the future and decided to study Covid to save the world.

• runningunnin.454
      11:14 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

We certainly bid him a “fond farewell” ha ha.

11:21 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Thinking about the unstoppable force of the coronavirus going up against the immovable object of a Bud Foster defense makes my head hurt.

9. RealCatsFan
    11:10 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Canned tuna? Seriously? That is the food that has seen the biggest increase from the COVID thing? Yuk! I remember I used to have a coworker who would eat that stuff at lunch and stink up the whole end of the building. The guy in the cube next to me would start meowing at him every time he did it. Bleaughhhh!

11:26 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

I wonder how much of that is due to people hoarding non-perishable stuff early on when this crap hit the fan. I have no idea how much canned tuna was sold before, but maybe that’s what was left and people just bought it up and that’s the increase.

11:27 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Meanwhile, the canned oysters are probably still sitting there on the shelf. lol j/k, I actually kind of like those with crackers.

• Realme
      11:31 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

I thought they would say ramen. I have a renewed appreciation for the cheap stuff. Put some extra protein and veg in it if you wanna really live.

• runningunnin.454
      11:33 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

I liked tuna when I was a kid. I think when we were dating, the only thing my wife to be could make was tuna salad…I was meowing there back then. Can’t stand it to this day, ha ha.

11:34 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

My son has taken a liking to ramen noodles. I think he picked that up from his sister, who discovered it a couple of years ago.

11:38 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

I used to love Vienna sausage when I was a kid, but I always thought they were intended to be brought along for snacks on fishing trips. 🙂 Then when I became a dad, and my daughter got old enough to eat those toddler “meat sticks”, imagine my surprise to see what looked and tasted exactly like Vienna sausages in there! She turns 19 in a few days and still sometimes eats a jar of the baby food version of them. lol

• Realme
      11:44 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

LOL I just got moderated and I actually know why!!! I used the word for spiced ham from a can.

11:48 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, the word s-p-a-m is one of those magic words you can’t say on here in any context..

11:50 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

I even just tried it without the dashes. Modbot wasn’t having it.

• Realme
      11:53 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Is official. Modbot doesn’t like canned meat.

10. Laker Cat 18
    11:28 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Here we go. Beshear wants to get on to talk about the AG’s decision to battle his mandates. Starting to get very political…

11:31 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I agree – I’m pretty much sick of politics too. Can we have Cal back?

11:32 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

I could go for a UK football coaches guest host about now.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:32 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

It’s just a pissing contest. Over and over…

11:35 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Can we get Terry Wilson on here instead to talk about his haircut? 🙂

• Realme
      11:39 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Ugh. All that Andy at 5 tv show excitement went to his head, now he thinks he’s Obama going on a late night talk show. It’s like when the guys acted like Ky Joe was good and created a monster.

11:43 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

All this whining about that mean old AG being a thorn in the side of the governor. Sounds kind of familiar for some reason.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:49 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

I think we should reach out to the AG to get his take. It’s very one-sided with the pissing match we’re forced to listen to.

• Realme
      11:51 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Oh he should totally call in too!

11:52 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Or just leave that whole pissing match off the show. It’s not like KSR is anyone’s source of news on this subject.

11:56 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Wonder what Bevin would have sounded like if a democratic AG were suing him? Yeah, it’s a pissing match, but I thought A.B. was pretty controlled about it. And to be fair, I like Daniel Cameron and have high hopes for him, but it’s a shame that he is bowing to political pressure from his party to be partisan about this.

12:00 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

Oh, Bevin would be whining, maybe even more loudly. That’s what I was getting at. It just hasn’t been that long ago that Beshear had no problem being the PITA that he is complaining about. I’m just not very tolerant of complaining. Even though I’m complaining about complaining. 🙂

11. RealCatsFan
    11:34 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

cg, is it getting ugly down there in ‘Bama now that their gub’ner has mandated masks? I would expect an even bigger backlash than we have seen around these parts. And I heard they are saying people could get a $500 fine for violating it!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:46 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

My only problem is the same thing you said. A time or two I’ve left the house and forgotten my mask.

11:53 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

I keep a couple spares in my console now.

11:55 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

I keep a cloth one in my vehicle. I would be guaranteed to forget to bring it otherwise.

12:00 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

A $500 fine is pretty extreme. Hopefully no one tries to enforce that one. Just ask them to mask up, and if they won’t do it, send them packing.

12:02 pm July 16, 2020 Permalink

And that’s kind of the path that Beshear has chosen. He knows the state can’t enforce a mask wearing mandate on individuals. But he can use the health dept to force businesses to enforce it.

12. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:36 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Andy should have come on with “I got somethin’ ta say! It’s better to burn out, than fade awayyyyyyyy!”

13. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:41 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

“Yes, you. must bow to me, your king Andy! It doesn’t matter if my order is legal or not! You WILL…OBEY!!! I know better than YOU!!! I’m from the GOVERNMENT!!!”

Notice he did NOT address the legality. That speaks volumes. It may be legal, and if so, address that.

• runningunnin.454
      11:43 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

You would be surprised with the power that the Health Department has. They can mandate.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:48 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

I’m not arguing that. If it’s legal, he should have started with that.

11:52 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

I thought he sounded pretty humble and level headed. Not once did he make it sound like he knows better than the true experts in healthcare. Not once did he try to politicize and inflame by calling out the other side of the aisle as “extremists”, or “socialists”, or whatever other tagline you want to pick. Totally the opposite of the toddler in chief.

14. runningunnin.454
    11:42 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Terrence Clarke says we can win a title, if the fans wear masks…sign me up. Wonder if MJ is going to “appreciate the call”.

15. Bluehender
    11:53 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

Daniel Cameron’s political career will be short-lived over this..imo

11:58 am July 16, 2020 Permalink

As I said elsewhere, I like Cameron and was very hopeful that he would be open to work with the other side to get things done that benefit the whole state, but these lawsuits, and the heavy handed felony charges against the protesters at his house have me concerned that he is bowing to partisan pressure.

• Bluehender