KSR Show Thread, 7/15: Live from Barbourville

KSR’s summer tour is in Eastern Kentucky for a three-day swing this week, beginning in Barbourville today at the Appalachian Children’s Home. The Appalachian Children’s Home means a lot to Ryan Lemond’s family, so we are excited to be there for the show.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

83 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 7/15: Live from Barbourville

1. Realme
    10:09 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

Who wants to fight? I’m grumpy.

• runningunnin.454
      10:10 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

Grayson Allen…kick his butt.

10:11 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

All right. Where is he?

10:17 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

I’ll hold him for you.

• runningunnin.454
      10:18 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

Hiding behind Dwight Howard.

10:18 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

Ok, brb.

10:33 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

He just curled up on the ground and cried like a baby. Kept calling out for Coach Krazyzooski.

• 4everUKblue
      10:41 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

He had quite the game last night, fouled out with just 22 mins of playing time with 4 pts and 3 turnovers. He’s a real asset.

• ClutchCargo
      10:42 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

You misspelled “ass”, 4ever.

10:42 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

I think (rightfully), his reputation is getting him no benefit of the doubt from officials from now on. He should have been held truly accountable in college. Maybe he wouldn’t be so lacking control now.

10:43 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

Is Jamaal Magloire still in the league? I bet he needs another dookie to abuse. 🙂

• ClutchCargo
      10:45 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

Magloire is an assistant coach for Raptors. It could still happen.

• 4everUKblue
      10:48 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

Oops, sorry CC.

2. Realme
    10:16 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

I adore Popeye’s food, and was so happy we got a location back a few years ago, after like 3 in the area closing. Their customer service is so bad I worry it won’t stay open.

10:19 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

I have never eaten at Popeye’s.

10:21 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

So good. Spicy fried chicken (not fingers, Matt is such a girl), biscuits, jambalaya…. Sigh.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:22 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

Their spicy chicken and their red beans and rice are the bomb.

10:22 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

Matt should have asked if Ricky’s last name was Pitino.

10:28 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

And I agree on the Popeye’s spicy chicken. Along those lines, I love Indi’s and Kings spicy chicken, although at both places you have to order through bulletproof glass on a microphone.

10:32 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

Joella’s or Royal’s for spicy chicken in Louisville.

• ClutchCargo
      10:37 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

The bulletproof glass means you’re getting the good stuff RCF! Totally agree on Popeye’s. The red beans and rice are my favorite side ever.

10:47 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

Many years ago my college buddies and I had been at Sunset East tavern on Bardstown Rd and decided that we were hungry and wanted spicy chicken. So we headed for Kings. In the West end of Louisville. At 3:00 in the morning. And while we were standing in line to place our order, the most inebriated member of our group decided it would be a good idea to break out his rap act on the microphone while placing our order. I seriously didn’t think we would get out of there alive. Fortunately the people in the place actually started laughing at him.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:51 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

Key words: laughing AT him, not with him. Haha.

10:52 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

Now I want to make red beans and rice. Maybe I’ll do that this weekend.

• ClutchCargo
      10:55 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

Me too, J-Dub. But shrimp and grits has been on my to-do list longer, so that will take priority.

10:58 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

You can’t go wrong with shrimp and grits.

10:58 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

I made shrimp and grits the other day. First time. Shrimps perfect, but I shouldn’t have went cheap on the grits and andouille.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:16 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

How do you go cheap on grits? I figured either Jim Dandy (not to the rescue…70s reference to you young’ns) or Martha White are fine. Did you buy store brand?

11:23 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

The restaurants use the fancy Weisenberger grits. I used a cheap, quick cook option from the Kroge and Kroger brand cheddar. Should have picked out a nice gouda.

• runningunnin.454
      11:36 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

CG, that song goes back further than you indicated; first recorded by Lavern Baker in ’56.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:26 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

So Mrs. RCF rolled in last night a bit past midnight from her Forecastle adventure with her sisters. 🙂 Good thing Matt didn’t run into them, or he might have been talking about their antics on the show this morning. 😉

I guess I can consider myself lucky that daughter #1 is in Danville for GSP, and daughter #2 sold her Forecastle ticket because she wanted to be ready for her volleyball tryouts this week. All of their friends were out there, from what I have seen posted on social media.

Matt would find the crowd at Bourbon and Beyond to be more his speed. Hopefully we won’t have another forty-year flood this year.

10:48 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

At least her mom would have been there if your daughter had gone.

10:57 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

Realme, that’s kind of what scares me! 🙂

10:58 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

Ha!

4. Realme
    10:29 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

Who detained this guy? Where?

5. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:30 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

One thing they need to remember about the schedule for SC is that Clemson is non-conference. Of course that still comes in to play for rankings and overall record, but not SEC.

10:48 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

When’s the last time USC actually beat Clemson? Was it when Lou Holtz was there?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:52 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

I’m not sure. Steve Superior may have beaten them. I know they had a huge brawl Holtz’s last year.

10:53 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

Everyone just admit you read that as Lou Holtsch.

10:56 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

It’s kind of amazing to me the way USC swung for the fence on their coaching hires and still ended up where they are. I guess it’s because the hire them after they are old ans washed up.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:05 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

I wouldn’t call hiring Muschamp swinging for the fences after his awful coaching job at Florida (except they did have a great defense, and he has a pretty good one now), but the other 2, yes.

11:14 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

There was a time that I would have loved to see UK hire Spurrier, as much as I hated him when he was at UF. I was actually kind of mad that UK didn’t go after him when USC hired him. Guess I would have been wrong.

6. ClutchCargo
    10:49 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

People are getting too hung up on having new starters in the secondary. Do we have the front 7 to stop the run? Do we have the OL and RBs to establish the run game? Check, and check.

10:52 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

The coaches must be plenty confident, or they wouldn’t be sending those 3 mouths to media days.

10:52 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

Our line on both sides will be a strength.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:02 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

I won’t lie, the secondary concerns me greatly. Hopefully Paschal and company can be a brick wall and get heat on the QB.

• ClutchCargo
      11:06 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

I guess my thinking is that you can’t win without those things I mentioned. But if you can force the other team to throw more than they want to, that’s not a bad thing.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:53 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

Wow, so Matt was getting heckled by the Governor? In public? What a child!

10:54 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

Was he drunk?

10:56 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

Much like his idol (the orange guy with the hair), he’s not smart enough to avoid giving more ammo to his biggest critic.

10:56 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

Shocker, Matt Bevin was rude and childish.

10:58 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

The sad thing is that since Beshear is running against him, he will probably get re-elected. The dem’s would have been better off with a banana slug running for office. 😉

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:00 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

I don’t disagree with any of this, but Matt hammers folks and expects them to not return the favor. However, yes, if Bevin had simply smiled and done the selfie, he would have disarmed MJ. I’m very conservative as you all know, but the PR savvy is lacking (and yes, often it is with Trump too).

11:04 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

Someone needs to make a big baby balloon for Bevin as well.

11:06 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

He does, Chris. I don’t watch Hey Ky much, but if I land on it, seems like Matt is bashing Bevin every time. Caught a few minutes last week where he was talking about McGrath too. Sounded like a one sided campaign debate. I think he’s delaying declaring his intentions to run so he can keep saying whatever he wants on his own show for as long as possible.

11:12 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

In days past, an elected official was expected to take the high road, at least in public. And it usually paid off. Now it seems like acting like an adult has become passe’. It just seems like society in general is becoming more and more coarse.

11:19 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

cg, I am pretty much middle of the road on politics, but I completely respect you as a conservative because you are classy, polite, and well-spoken when you state your position on things. That’s what is getting lost these days, and it’s a shame.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:21 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

Thanks. I don’t always succeed, but I try.

8. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:57 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

I don’t really get into tennis, but since the caller brought it up, how about the young girl who crushed the competition to take the Wimbledon title? I heard she beat Serena like 6-1 and 6-2 or something.

• StillBP
      11:22 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

She crushed her 6-2 6-2 but I wouldn’t call her a young girl, she’ll be 28 in a couple of months

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:24 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

Oh never mind. I thought I heard it was that 15 year old phenom that won. I guess I should stick to a sport I actually watch. lol

• StillBP
      11:30 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

Oh that’s Coco. She actually lost to the woman who went on to win Wimbledon (Halep). Coco did beat Venus to make it to the 4th round.

11:30 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

The 15 year old phenom (Coco Gauff) lost in the quarterfinals to eventual champion Simona Halep. This was her second Grand Slam title.

12:14 pm July 15, 2019 Permalink

I think we are going to be seeing a lot more of Coco in the coming years.

9. RealCatsFan
    11:09 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

Kind of sad to hear that Ryan’s wife’s mother was murdered. That is really sad. Tough to bounce back from something like that.

11:13 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

It gets worse. It was committed by her dad.

11:16 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

Oh wow.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:18 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

Wow, I can’t even imagine.

11:19 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

Holy cow. I did not know that.

11:25 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

I think she was like 7 or 8 years old. I saw a video of them sharing their story, as adoptive parents today, at their church.

10. RealCatsFan
    11:15 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

I was at a car show over the weekend and ran into a guy who I would call an acquaintance – he is into classic Shelby Mustangs. While listening to him talk, the thought occurred to me that if I closed my eyes, I would swear that I was talking to Johnny Short. 🙂

11:24 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

A couple of weeks ago, my husband and I were watching some big auto auction on TV. I thought of you and some of the others on this show thread. You guys would have loved it. They had a lot of older cars that had been beautifully restored, Shelby GT’s, Corvette Stingrays, Cameros, etc. They also had a few new Corvettes and Lamborghinis, etc.

• runningunnin.454
      11:42 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

Missed my chance couple of years ago when McCartney’s ’64 Aston Martin DB5 went to auction; went for only 1.7 million…no, it was never wrecked.

12:03 pm July 15, 2019 Permalink

I was reading an article the other day where someone discovered the original 1968 Mustang GT that was used in the movie “Bullitt”. Apparently the same guy has owned it since the early 70’s. Steve McQueen even tried to buy it back from him and the guy turned him down! That’s kind of the holy grail for Mustang fans – along with the 68 Shelby GT500 that Jim Morrison owned (and wrecked).

12:08 pm July 15, 2019 Permalink

Kind of along the gearhead nostalgia stuff, I was watching a neat story on Youtube last night that was talking about the making of American Graffiti”. It’s kind of interesting how pretty much that whole cast was unknown actors back then, and how some of them went on to major stardom. Harrison Ford was working as a carpenter for one of the producers when he was brought in to audition. MacKenzie Phillips was 12 years old! If you have an hour to kill, it’s really interesting. I love stuff like this.

12:12 pm July 15, 2019 Permalink

J-Dub, the cars that get me excited these days are the unrestored original cars. There are getting to be so many restored cars out there that they start to blend together. They are still beautiful to look at, but for me, an all original time capsule from the 60’s or 70’s that has a lot of history behind it is really cool. And there are a lot of cars that are being faked now – fake data plates, fake VIN stampings on components, and fake paperwork, to make a car appear more valuable than it really is. If you are planning to spend a lot of money to buy one of these, you really have to do your homework, especially on something that is freshly restored.

12:13 pm July 15, 2019 Permalink

Oh yeah, going back to the “Bullitt” Mustang – the guy that had it actually was living in Kentucky for a long time, not far from the Walton-Verona area off I-75.

11. RealCatsFan
    11:17 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

How much did guys like Shaq and Barkley weigh? I guess part of the equation is that guys like that are not nearly as athletic as Zion.

11:17 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

I mean, the fact that he blew out a sneaker like that shows the amount of force he is putting down.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:20 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

I wonder why you would want guys like him playing summer league. I guess the experience is valuable, but it’s more wear and tear on the body. I get having marginal guys and undrafted guys play so you see if they’re ready for the league, but you sign a guy to a fat contract and then he goes out there and blows a knee?

11:27 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

If Zion really weighs 295, he’s getting close to what Shaq weighed (playing weight), except Shaq is 7’2″.

• 4everUKblue
      11:35 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

Zion and “fat contract” in the same sentence….how fitting.

• runningunnin.454
      11:59 am July 15, 2019 Permalink

Did he get a “fat lip” when Knox blocked his shot?