KSR Show Thread 7/14: The Spotlight Shifts To Harlan County

It’s your time to shine, Harlan County.

This morning, Matt Jones, Ryan Lemond, Shannon The Dude, and Drew Franklin are set to discuss poke sallet, coal mining, and all things Freddie Maggard, among other highlights.

Beyond KSR’s continued Blue Lights Across The Bluegrass Tour, they will also be talking about Kentucky basketball, UFOs, NCAA waivers, and the latest regarding fall sports.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

81 Comments for KSR Show Thread 7/14: The Spotlight Shifts To Harlan County

1. Laker Cat 18
    10:09 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

I wonder if we’ll leave Harlan alive today? Shout-out to Raylan Givens.

• ClutchCargo
      10:13 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Look out for Boyd Crowder, the Dixie Mafia, Miami cartel, etc.

I’m halfway through season 6, so no spoilers if some of the above are no longer a threat. 🙂

• Laker Cat 18
      10:14 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

No spoilers from me! Top 5 show all-time.

• Realme
      10:15 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

We watched like one episode of that and quit. Sounds like we maybe should have kept going.

• ClutchCargo
      10:18 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Yes, Realme. I did the same thing many months ago. That first episode kind of sucked and didn’t make me want to keep watching, so I quit. Glad I powered through that one this time. Seasons 5 and 6 are worth the wait.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:19 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

That was the same for me and Breaking Bad. It started so slow that I quit watching after the first couple episodes. Kept hearing how good it was, so I started it again. It’s now top 5 for me as well. Give Justified another shot.

• ClutchCargo
      10:37 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Just try to put the many geographical inconsistencies out of your mind. That, and the fact that the supposed Harlan Co and Lexington scenery in no way resembles KY. I guess they couldn’t have gotten a Hollywood cast and crew to live in Eastern KY long enough to do a series.

2. Realme
    10:14 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Is it just me or are Stankey and others trying to manipulate America into wearing masks, like a parent telling a child they have to be good if they want Santa to bring presents?

10:19 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, and the Surgeon General says we can drive the virus into the ground in a few weeks if we all wear masks. In other news, he has a swamp on Mars to sell you.

10:26 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Well, I guess the alternative is that we just throw up our hands, give up, and say “oh well”…

Wearing a mask is perhaps the easiest thing we can do that will very possibly help the situation. Aside from washing hands frequently, it is easier than social distancing, and definitely better than shutting everything down again. Making a political statement out of it is where everything went off the rails.

• Realme
      10:37 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

I’m not staying is okay to go maskless, I just think people doing that are being condescending and silly. I agree that even Cal and Satan would not make people change their stubborn opinion they made based on what news media they want to believe.

10:50 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

I wear a mask RCF, but that is a bald faced lie fro Dr. Adams. Misinformation isn’t going to help.

12:00 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

Dr. Adams was probably being a bit optimistic, but I would take his word over the One Who Thinks He’s An Expert On Everything.

3. runningunnin.454
    10:15 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Back to the Indians, Lone Ranger and Tonto were in a canyon, and the Ranger goes behind a bush to do his business.
    A rattlesnake bit him on the Johnson.
    “Tonto, go into town and ask the doctor what to do”
    The doctor tells Tonto the venom has to be sucked out.
    “Tonto, what did the doctor say?”
    “He say you going to die, Kemo Sabe.”
    I’ll show myself out

10:22 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

I’m bored, so I thought I would push the envelope on the modbot; pardon the 4th grade jocularity, hee haw.

10:22 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

I have always wondered where it got the nickname “Johnson”. Was that before or after Johnsonville brat’s? 🙂

10:23 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

rg, I welcome all the 4th grade jocularity you can muster right now. Lord knows we need it! 🙂

• Realme
      10:39 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Any time I’m reading one of your jokes, I am not listening to Mr Negativity act like sports will die forever. Take it to kindergarten if you want.

4. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:17 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Oh, so if someone is convinced they shouldn’t wear a mask, they’ll change their minds because Cal and Satan said so. Okay. Lol

10:18 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Saban. Haha. Honest mistake their.

10:20 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

I believe you~

• ClutchCargo
      10:21 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

I would have just left it Satan. Then people could see what you did there.

10:21 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

A good percentage of them wouldn’t change their minds if Christ Himself reincarnated and appeared before them wearing a mask and asking them to do the same.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:20 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

I have to wonder how WWII would have gone for us if we had the internet back then and people had access to all these conspiracy theories. Someone would have probably tried to push the agenda that victory gardens, metal and rubber collection drives, and volunteering for the war effort were part of a socialist agenda to control everybody. Sigh. Sometimes I think that the WWW ain’t such a good thing.

• ClutchCargo
      10:22 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

That’s what I was getting at with a comment last week, I think. Doing things for the common good is so 1940’s.

• lexslamman
      10:26 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

There were people doing all of those things during WWII – but both the far fascist right and the extreme socialist left shared in the opposition to the war.

10:30 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

lex, I thought the far fascist right was a major cause of the war, at least in Germany. Far socialist left became an issue in Russia and other countries later on. Can we agree that far extremes in either direction are the problem?

10:31 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

The Greatest Generation is gone, sadly. Now, it’s me me me…or,

10:36 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

rg,a certain segment of our population would call members of The Greatest Generation “sheep” because they dutifully did what was asked of them. 😉

• lexslamman
      10:40 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

I was speaking domestically, where the anti-WW2 movement was quite ideologically diverse.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:28 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

College volleyball is another sport that will likely be on the chopping block for a lot of schools, and that makes me really sad. 🙁

10:37 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

I would think ladies’ volleyball would survive; I think the tv ratings had to be pretty good…I watched every UK match the last several years.

• ClutchCargo
      10:40 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

The ratings are probably fine, but it takes more money than what that would provide to support the “non-revenue” sports. Non-existent or smaller crowds for football and men’s basketball is really going to cut into the budget.

7. hamillerjr
    10:41 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Harlan is the beginning of “Thunder Road” where moonshiners, chased by “Revenuers”, ran illegal booze into Tennessee. Check out the lyrics to the “Ballad of Thunder Road” sung by actor Robert Mitchum. Was a great 1950’s movie, too.

10:49 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Thunder Road was a terrific movie, and Mitchum was one of my favorites. His brother John, and sister Julie were also actors.

10:56 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

When I hear of “Thunder Road”, I always think of this song. A very young Boss in 1975…

11:01 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Another great storyteller.

11:05 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

rg, I’ve always loved Bruce. Love his music, and of course I love the way he weaves motorhead references into his lyrics.

“Sprung from cages out on Highway 9
      Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin’ out over the line”

“Beyond the palace, hemi-powered drones
      Scream down the boulevard”

Pure poetry, man! 🙂

11:10 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Racing in the Street is another one.

11:25 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

I can pretty much recite that one from heart…

“I got a 69 Chevy with a 396, fuelie heads, and a Hurst on the floor.
      She’s waitin’ tonight out in the parking lot, outside the Seven-eleven store…”

• ClutchCargo
      11:44 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Misheard lyrics were so frustrating before the internet, which made them funny. I was happy to finally learn that the Boss was saying “revved up like a deuce” in Blinded by the Light. 🙂

11:48 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, Clutch…what did you think he was saying, snicker snicker?

• ClutchCargo
      11:56 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

I could have sworn he was saying “wrapped up like a mashburnfan1” , rg.

11:58 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

The Boss sings it the right way – it was Manfred Mann who made it sound like a feminine hygiene product.

12:40 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

Hee Haw, Clutch.

8. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:45 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

“Shady Grove, my little love,
    Shady Grove my darlin’,
    Shady Grove, my little love,
    I’m goin’ back to Harlan…”

10:45 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

10:47 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

RG, that’s Connie Dover’s version linked above.

Here is Kentucky’s own Zoe Speaks’ version:

10:48 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

And last but not least, The Darwin’s version:

10:51 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

The Darlins. Lol

10:56 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Beautiful, haunting song.

11:10 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

It is. Interestingly,Connie sings hers in a much lighter cheery tone.

9. runningunnin.454
    11:14 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

I don’t even know what he was talking about; but MJ opened the show with, “Now that we have Sarr”…thought I had missed something, but alas, no?

• Realme
      11:16 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

I missed that but it’s ridiculous that they haven’t ruled yet.

11:20 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Joey Gatewood also.

10. peaches76
    11:18 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

If you’re going to cut a state loose, make it California!! Totally inept and bankrupt govern

11:20 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Have no problem with Florida or Cali…get rid of China.

11:27 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Can’t get rid of Mississippi or West Virginia – they’re the only ones keeping us from the bottom. 😉

11. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:19 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

How dare that caller! Soup beans cooked with ham and Tabasco, corn bread, and my mom’s iron skillet fried taters are the beat meal ever!

11:21 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

That is funny how he just opened up a call with that. “What’s the deal with soup beans?” Right out of Seinfeld’s standup.

11:21 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Now you’ve done it, and I’m hungry. I use Louisiana Hot Sauce…not really hot, but great taste.

11:22 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

• ClutchCargo
      11:38 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Big fan of Louisiana hot sauce, and all the Louisiana brand stuff. But try some Old Bay hot sauce if you can find any. That stuff sold out in a heartbeat back in the spring, and just became available again online. But I think the second batch of it is already gone too. I got my two pack of 10 oz. bottles just in time.

11:42 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Another good brand is Ubon’s Pitmaster’s. They also make a red hot Bloody Mary mix, ummmm.

11:50 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Tabasco rules for me, but I wouldn’t mind to try Old Bay. I didn’t know they made one.

11:52 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

• Laker Cat 18
      11:55 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Hot Sauce = Louisiana or Cholula
      Buffalo Sauce = Kroger Brand Mild (by far)…I used to be a Frank’s guy.

• ClutchCargo
      11:58 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Old Bay sauce is a new thing for this year, cg. And the current or former East Coast-ers keep buying it up too fast and not letting the rest of us have nice things.

12. RealCatsFan
    11:37 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Skyy Clark’s favorite UK player is Ryan Harrow? I guess he likes players without a “husky voice”. 😉

13. Realme
    11:37 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Poor Ryan Harrow. Coming here ate him alive like it did to Billy G. I hope his life is good now.

• ClutchCargo
      11:46 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Cal isn’t lying when he says UK isn’t for everyone. That goes for coaches, too.

11:51 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, you could argue it ain’t for some fans, either. 🙂

14. runningunnin.454
    11:40 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Appalachian music is particularly haunting. Like the Blues, you have to live it, to be able to write it.

11:49 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

15. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:48 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Of COURSE it’s a UFO! It stands for UNIDENTIFIED Flying Object! Lol

11:51 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

It was swamp gas from a weather balloon trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

11:56 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Or was it swamp gas coming from Uranus?

11:59 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Hee haw award, RCF.

16. RealCatsFan
    11:49 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Let’s just say if Possum claims that he got sucked up into a flying saucer and received an anal probe, I sure as hell ain’t going to ask him to prove it. 😉

17. classof68
    11:54 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Apparently Matt never read Communion by Whitley Strieber. I believe he was in New York.

18. bbn606
    1:21 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

At one time they would stop you at the Harlan Co line and check for guns. If you didn’t have one, they would give you one.