KSR Show Thread 7/13: Hardin County, Unsolved Mysteries, and more

Welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. My goodness, do we have a lot to talk about. Tune in to hear Matt, Ryan, and Shannon break down the news of the weekend, discuss the UFO episode of “Unsolved Mysteries,” shine the spotlight on Hardin County, and much, much more.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

65 Comments for KSR Show Thread 7/13: Hardin County, Unsolved Mysteries, and more

1. runningunnin.454
    10:05 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

LOL, Cal and Huggy need a haircut and shave; they’re going to look like Rip Van Winkle.

10:15 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

Is the Cal bearded look here to stay? If Ellen and his daughters haven’t made him shave it off by now, maybe…

• Realme
      10:16 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

I was thinking about my lack of makeup and anything besides comfortable clothes for 4 months. Will I bother when the time comes? I don’t know. Maybe Cal will be roaming the sidelines with that curly hair. Maybe the officials will be covered in scraggly beards. Maybe Dickie V’s eyebrows will be covering his eyes.

10:17 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

Is it the return of the hippie look from the 60’s?

• runningunnin.454
      10:24 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

Hah, the word that comes to mind is not OLDE; they just look OLD.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:49 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

Modbot. *sigh*

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:09 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

All I said was Coach C looks like some actor right now and I can’t think of the guy’s name. I think it’s someone particularly famous but who is seen in a good bit of stuff.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:42 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

NOT someone particularly famous.

2. RealCatsFan
    10:16 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

When I was in Florida back in May, I bet less than 25% of people were not wearing masks. Things must have changed since then.

3. Laker Cat 18
    10:16 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

SPOILER! Unsolved Mysteries…

EP 3 – The French one is crazy. It’s obvious the dad did it. But what’s not obvious is if he committed suicide or got out of the country. He’s probably in Latin America somewhere now in hiding.

EP 6 – If there is one episode that still troubles me, it’s this one. It’s about a parent manipulating their own children to save their own tails. It’s crazy to think some kids really do live in these lifestyles. The mother killed multiple people and got away with it. Absolutely insane.

• Realme
      10:20 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

HOW did he bury them in that space below the porch? A shovel wouldn’t fit? It’s in front if the house where anyone could see?

Seems like that mother would be easy to build a case against now. Maybe the show will prompt something.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:28 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

He had to have help from the cartel or something. Such a clean crime.

I know they have reopened a the Alonzo Brooks case from the reboot of the show.

4. Realme
    10:17 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

I’m not clear why playing in conference is safer than not, but please can we have some sort of football. I NEED it.

10:22 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

I actually found myself watching “The Basketball Tournament” for a little while on Saturday.

• runningunnin.454
      10:29 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

How is it they are playing TBT; but, everything else is doubtful?

10:31 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

… and soccer. With fans in the stands. So apparently if you spontaneously fall down on the field and fake injury, it tricks the virus into not infecting you. 😉

• Realme
      10:36 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

I need UK football, specifically. Thanks in advance.

• Megan
      11:52 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

Maybe the smaller the bubble, the better, even if it’s as large as a conference. With such a surge in the south, I could see schools elsewhere not wanting to visit or invite. That’s the only thing popping into my head anyway. Stay as regional as you can. Keep the backyard gatherings limited.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:21 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

We had a family meeting Friday night and elected to cancel daughter’s graduation party. Mrs RCF just felt like she didn’t want to potential of someone transmitting COVID on her conscience, and most of the family was not going to make it anyway. Daughter #1 really wasn’t that upset about it – with so many of her friends having theirs already she is kind of done with graduation parties. She went to 3 of them on Saturday, and masks were not prevalent at any of them. She is probably going to get herself tested this week just in case. I’m so ready for this stuff to just go away. What happened to that summer heat making it disappear thingy?

• classof68
      10:37 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

The winter cold will probably kill the dreaded disease.

10:45 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

😉 😉 😉

6. Realme
    10:25 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

Probably for the best. Ryan talked about visiting his parents. I have all this free time but I’m afraid to do it. If I was an asymptomatic carrier and put one of them in the hospital I’d never forgive myself.

• Realme
      10:25 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

That was supposed to be an RCF reply.

10:29 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

We are going to give her the money that would have been spent on the drinks and catering to put it towards her college expenses.

• Megan
      11:57 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

RCF, congrats. It’s an exciting time for your daughter. Get those grades, of course, but encourage her to have fun in college, try new things, but stay safe always. Always.

12:38 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

Thanks Megan. It’s bittersweet. Not sure if having the firstborn leaving the nest is tougher, or if daughter #2 leaving will be worse. But very proud and excited too.

7. Laker Cat 18
    10:32 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

If we want to actually COMPETE in the SEC…you need to play the big dogs, even if it’s only for the 1 season. We need to give ourselves a shot to be competitive and use it as a recruiting tool. I’d much rather play Alabama, LSU, Auburn than Ole Miss, Miss St, or Arkansas. Not even close.

• runningunnin.454
      10:37 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

But, playing Alabama and LSU would ding us up pretty bad; those teams’ 2nd and 3rd strings just keep coming at you.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:54 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

I’m okay with that. Especially in a season where it’s completely different than the rest. “To be the man, you have to beat the man.” I say that in regards to playing SEC West schools. The West is 11-1 in the past 12 SEC championship games. We need to play those guys.

I remember in 2010 when the Cats almost beat Auburn in the regular season, I think they got us by a field goal…and they go on to win the SEC & National Title. I remember that game significantly. I think about it every time I hear anything about Auburn. The same goes for the 2007 LSU game. I never remember games with the weaker teams. It just means more. Give me the big dogs.

• Realme
      10:57 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

if you’re gonna play a schedule where you get extra beat up, might as well do it when you’ll have less total games.

8. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:48 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

How dare AD not put a political message on his jersey!

9. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:50 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

Busy today, so not in much. I’m off work (heh), but doing honeydo stuff. Ugh.

10. Laker Cat 18
    10:56 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

Yellowstone! I’m into this one. My wife caught me watching an episode last week and I think she got disappointed she didn’t want to start it with me. I think she liked what she saw…

• Realme
      11:00 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

Husband and I are finally watching Tiger King (even more insane than expected). Will probably try Yellowstone after that.

• runningunnin.454
      11:09 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

The biker gang learned their lesson the hard way last night; reminds me of this one. BTW, the Ten Commandments of Love was by the Moonglows, a group from Louisville.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:10 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

Tiger King is a crazy, weird show. Everyone they introduce to you, it gets weirder as the show goes. Those people are crazy.

11. RealCatsFan
    11:00 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

The wife and I were watching “Celebrity Family Feud” last night and they had NFL Hall of Famers against NFL up-and-comers. It was hands down one of the funniest FF episodes I have seen. I think Matt referenced one of the more hilarious events in a tweet last night.

12. RealCatsFan
    11:02 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

I think Washington should change the name of their football team from the Redskins to the Foreskins. 😀

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:10 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

The Fighting W h i t i e s. A homage to Sweden or something.

The next nickname to go: Michighan State Spartans. I hear the Greek community is up in arms over that one.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:11 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

BTW, surveys show the majority of Native Americans have no problem with that nickname.

Anyway, I digress. RCF, I need you to help with my honeydo list. I’m just not that experienced at this stuff. I’m learning by screwing it up though. Haha.

Over and out. Have fun you guys!

11:17 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

I heard that the anti-birth control people are trying to make USC drop the name “Trojans”. 😀

• runningunnin.454
      11:18 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

It’s really about time they changed it; however, let’s not pretend the Native Americans were squeaky clean. Yes, they suffered great atrocities; but they had little respect for their fallen enemy. After the Little Bighorn, they sent the squaws to the field to castrate every soldier of the 7th Cavalry, many before death.
      BTW, Custer is the worst military leader in history. He ignored the scouts’ warnings, and charged into a superior force, he divided his forces, and he wasn’t aware that, in preparation, the Sioux and Cheyenne had traded for repeating Winchester and Henry rifles; the 7th was armed with single shot Springfield rifles.
      Okay, history lesson over, class dismissed.

11:18 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

Measure twice, cut once, cg. 😀

• Laker Cat 18
      11:18 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

The Indians will be next. They argue that the other mascots like Braves, Chiefs, Warriors are held at a higher regard than the plain labels, so they’re okay. What will Cleveland turn to with replacing the Indians?

11:25 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

Gen Custer was apparently a sociopathic narcissist who refused to listen to the good advice presented to him for important decisions.

Hmmmm….

11:26 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

rg, so the portrayal of him in “Little Big Man” was spot on, huh?

• runningunnin.454
      11:33 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

Alas, I didn’t see that; but, who were you talking about in your previous comment? Custer didn’t have orange hair, hee haw.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:40 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

The Native Americans that have been protesting in Washington for the name change also had the Chiefs, Indians, Braves logos on their protest signs. To me, they’re also offended by some of the others.

11:41 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

“Indians” wasn’t really ever an accurate moniker anyway, unless you are talking about a bunch of computer programmers who also run the local Seven-Eleven. “Have a goot day!” 🙂

• Laker Cat 18
      11:42 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

If they go totally away from Native American ideology for the new nickname, you’ll have a few offended that they didn’t incorporate Natives in there somewhere whatsoever. You can’t please everyone.

11:43 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

cg, I would go for the “PaleFaces”. 😀

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:50 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

There is so much inconsistency here. I know I’ve said this before, but the NCAA let FSU keep Seminoles (and it’s “SemiNOLES” Matt, not “Seminals”) because they have the approval of that tribe, but they force North Dakota to drop “Fighting Sioux” because they didn’t have a piece of paper. I saw Native Americans in a restaurant in Grand Forks wearing Fighting Sioux jerseys. Go figure. Now they’re the Fighting Hawks.

11:53 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

Believe it or not, cg, but we are actually in agreement on this issue. Unless something is blatantly offensive and racist, we just can’t keep changing the names of everything around just because someone, somewhere is offended by it. We are all going to go insane otherwise.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:53 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

Haha RCF.

One more point about inconsistency: Matt is okay with Indians, Blackhawks, etc., but many in the PC crowd want those gone to because they believe all these nicknames portray Native American Indians as warlike and savage (especially Braves, Fighting Illini, etc.). Those names will ALL eventually go IMO. It may take a while, but it will happen. The state of Illinois, towns like Chickasaw, AL will have to find new names too.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:54 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

Too…

11:59 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

rg, do you mean to tell me that you have never seen “Little Big Man” with a very young Dustin Hoffman and Faye Dunaway? If not, do yourself a favor and find a copy of it. It’s an excellent, entertaining movie!

• runningunnin.454
      12:09 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

Will do.

• Megan
      1:04 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

Immediately discount anything you hear from Suzan Harjo, the advocate for native affairs. She makes things up, like how the name redskins comes from the practice of whites presenting bloody scalps as proof of Indian kills for bounty payments. No supporting evidence has ever been cited or found for this, but it doesn’t stop her from repeating the story to Oprah’s audience.

To the contrary, a linguist at the Smithsonian traced the name to the Native Americans themselves, who used skin color to distinguish race, and who self-identified as red skins. It was respectful. And whites used the word respectfully in the early 19th century before turning it into a pejorative late that century and early next. Whether we continue to use it as a pejorative, or restore its native meaning, is up to us. Apparently those pushing for change want to keep the guilt so they can find something new that pleases — let’s be clear about this — white people.

Yes, a 2004 Annenberg study found that 90 percent of Native Americans didn’t find the name offensive. It’s a certain segment of the white population who are largely behind the push. You know, the same people who talk about microaggression. I’m all about social justice, mind you. But sometimes it goes too far. I’m not yet ready to tear down the Washington Monument because our first president was “a perpetrator of racial terror.” (We can’t even say “slave owner” anymore because, well, you can’t really own other people, can you?. This is what I’m talking about.) So fine, change the name, but please keep the native theme. Don’t rub them out like the Land O’ Lakes maiden.

13. RealCatsFan
    11:15 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

REDRUM! REDRUM!

11:55 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

For an old movie with 1970’s special effects, “The Shining” was quite effective in scaring the crap out of my kids. Daughter #1’s boyfriend wouldn’t sit through it. 🙂

14. runningunnin.454
    11:42 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

Lordy, Matt…the RedTails were the Tuskegee Airmen in WWII. They were an all black unit that provided air support for Allied bombers. THERE WAS A MOVIE.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:47 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

You and MJ both beat me to it, but he had to look it up (or Shannon looked it up for him or he got a tweet/text).

15. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:46 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

Matt finally looked it up. I logged back in just to say the Redtails were the Tuskegee Airmen. Also redtail hawks, which I’m sure is where they got it for the Airmen (just like the F-15 Eagle, the F-16 Falcon, etc.).

16. RealCatsFan
    11:50 am July 13, 2020 Permalink

Is Matt saying that ShineDown is semi-flaccid?