KSR Show Thread 7/10: Hello, Hancock County!

KSR is celebrating the end of the week by shining a spotlight on Hancock County. Before Matt, Shannon and Drew head to Western Kentucky, they’ll discuss the state’s new mask ordinance, the Big 10’s decision to exclusively play conference games in 2020 and much more.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

70 Comments for KSR Show Thread 7/10: Hello, Hancock County!

1. Realme
    9:57 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

So many great, uplifting things to discuss today. There’s_______________
    and________________
    oh and dont forget_______________.

• runningunnin.454
      10:03 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

Hah, see my comment below. Uplifting is definitely not the word.

10:16 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

I’m just glad that KSR left the comments open on the mask post last night. It was highly entertaining and I didn’t even get involved! Ha! I got out the popcorn. I told you they should always leave comments open on political posts!

10:24 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

Hopefully we can fill in those blanks before the day is over. 🙂

• Realme
      10:25 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

My favorite is when a commenter is so angry about how stupid the other side is, but they’re so incoherent you don’t know which side they’re trying to take.

10:29 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

i love the people who use no caps or punctuation you cant understand what theyre saying its really bad especially when its like a really long novella comment how do you guys feel about that do you have a hard time reading that kind of post if you have a secret to reading them please share thanks a lot guys

10:34 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

Haha It’s like a stream of consciousness flowing through their angry little fingertips.

• RealCatsFan
      11:38 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

I put my two cents worth in on that thread. And it was probably worth exactly that.

It’s just a shame that the whole thing has become so politically polarizing. I’m hoping that most people will wear a mask in public just so that hopefully Kentucky doesn’t end up going in the direction of Florida or Arizona.

• RealCatsFan
      11:39 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

cg, the guys who write in ALL CAPS because either they are really angry, or totally unaware always crack me up.

11:56 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

YESSS!!!

2. runningunnin.454
    10:02 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

Well, last night TCM showed the great Ingmar Bergman Swedish film, “The Seventh Seal”. Yeah, I watched it; it’s one of the greatest motion pictures of all time. For those not familiar with it, it’s about a disillusioned medieval knight returning from the Crusades, and he meets the personification of Death, who has come to claim him. Thinking he can survive as long as the game goes on, he challenges Death to a game of chess. If you get a chance to see it, it’s worth putting up with the subtitles.
    The reason I bring it up at this horrible time, is that the movie is set during the time of the Europe Black Death. Someone at Turner Classic Movies has a sick sense of humor. I am haunted by plagues.

• Realme
      10:08 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

Sounds delightful!

10:14 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

It sounds a little like the CDB song, except it was the Devil challenging Johnny instead of the reverse.

There was also a really bad episode of Fantasy Island where Roddy McDowell played the devil and he challenged Roark to a match of wits.

• runningunnin.454
      10:16 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

One side note; the star of the film, Max Von Sydow, and the director often discussed the possibility of an afterlife during production. Bergman told him that when he passes, he will send a message from beyond. Von Sydow never said what it was, but he said he was satisfied with the message, and began to believe in the afterlife.

3. Laker Cat 18
    10:10 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

I won’t be listening to the live show today, will have to catch the podcast. I’m listening to the KHSAA streamed meeting regarding fall sports. Apparently it’s an all day event.

• Realme
      10:12 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

Hope you hear about a safe, great plan that will get some sports going this fall.

10:20 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

Hopefully some good news can happen today with KHSAA.

4. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:12 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

RIP football 2020.

10:18 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

BTW, cancelling non-conference games REALLY hurts smaller schools. Troy is supposed to play UT in Knoxville and play at least one other big D1 school too I think.

10:23 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, sucks to be those small schools. The game guarantee contracts that spell out the terms of the agreement almost always have a buy-out provision where the little guy still gets paid something, but that doesn’t apply when cancellation is beyond the control of the schools.

5. Laker Cat 18
    10:14 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

SPOILER! Unsolved Mysteries…

Ep 4 – My opinion on Alonzo is the same as the guy’s discussion on yesterday’s show. He got into a scuffle with someone at the party before all his friends left. I think that escalated when he had no back-up. I’d say it was a fight gone wrong, unfortunately.

Ep 5 – The UFO episode I thought was the worst one so far. The crazy thing is the amount of people that don’t know each other who have came forward from that general location of Kansas on September 1st, 1969 with reports of seeing very similar things. Seems to be a lot of crazy people in that area. They all seemed very odd to me. I don’t really know what to think about it honestly.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:25 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

I’m going to try to find Shannon’s English translation for episode 3 this evening and watch 3 & 6.

10:30 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

I’m so clueless it was only yesterday that I realized the whole world wasn’t binging the old UM from years ago out of desperation for something to watch. Netflix is mostly just my lifeline to watch Ozark and not much else, so I hadn’t seen it.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:49 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

I’m behind the KSR guys on watching UM. I’m playing catch-up by watching 2 episodes per night this week. I’ll finish it off this weekend I’m sure.

• Realme
      10:51 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

I watched the French one. It’s a typical crime story, but there is one detail I just don’t get how it went down.

6. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:18 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

There goes Matt again about the masks. Like clockwork.

10:26 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

Typical Matt. Lawdog thinks unless the British are coming over the hill it’s not an infringement on Constitutional rights. I’m not arguing one way or the other on this particular issue, but just because it falls short of someone shooting at you does NOT make it NOT unconstitutional.

• runningunnin.454
      10:28 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

Like a broken clock, Matt is right twice a day. I don’t like it, but we elect a government; aren’t we taught to render unto Caesar?

10:30 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

Yes, absolutely, but Caesar has no right to violate the supreme law of the land.

10:36 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

And here is a prime example of Caesar applying a rule to some groups but not all (keep in mind he pointedly threatened to break up a Jewish funeral before the riots started):
      “NYC Mayor de Blasio says he’s banning all large gatherings to stop coronavirus — except for BLM protests.
      Wolf Blitzer didn’t even flinch at the double standard”

10:40 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

I don’t love wearing a mask, but I’ll just do it. Not that big a deal to me, even though there’s a chance it could be pointless. Part of me wonders how our society would fare if we had to deal with all the stuff people had to do (or do without) back in the WW II era.

10:44 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

If I don’t wear a mask my wife will kill me. Haha.

BTW, people, YOU DON’T NEED TO WEAR A MASK WHILE DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD IN.A.CAR.BY.YOUR.SELF!!! *facepalm emoji*

Short rant over.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:19 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

I’ll be honest with you, I haven’t worn a mask in public like to Kroger for example. Not really because I’m against it, probably more based on convenience. But I’m not going to argue with the new mandate to wear one. I’ll wear a mask from now on.

• Realme
      11:28 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

I try to wear one, but the amount of time it stays on my face is questionable.

• RealCatsFan
      11:35 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

LC, I confess that a few times when I forgot to take a mask with me in the car I ducked into a place real quickly without one on. I went out of my way to make it quick and to avoid other people. That’s where the mandate is going to be an inconvenience – if you happen to forget one. It would probably be a real good idea if businesses could keep a supply of disposable masks on hand as a convenience for customers. Marketing angle – put your store logo and phone number on a bunch of cloth masks to hand out – just like beer huggies.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:38 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

Our football team is running a mask fundraiser right now. My place of work also supplies masks for employees. We only really wear them when maneuvering around the office/plant as most of us are stationed over 6′ apart for the most part.

7. KyKev
    10:19 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

Has this been discussed? How many Bama players aren’t going to play one snap this season if it’s just for fun? My son wouldn’t be playing one snap if he has a 1st-4th or 5th round draft grade. Why risk serious injury if there is no national title to play for this year. Obviously, Kentucky could face this as well, especially the Big Blue Wall. Trevor Lawrence going to play? Number one pick locked up, right?

10:23 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

Good point. I suppose though there are guys who think they can improve their stock as well. However, guys like Lawrence? I agree with you.

• runningunnin.454
      10:26 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

That’s an interesting question; but, Benny and Lynn played in the bowl games, and a lot of guys didn’t.

10:31 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

True, and Josh Allen too! And if they hadn’t we’d be O fer in bowl games under Stoops.

10:38 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

I’ll qualify that: Sawyer played well before getting hurt, so *maybe* we could have pulled out last year’s bowl game if he had played.

• runningunnin.454
      10:40 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

Oh, I forgot Josh, and, he was a beast in that game.

8. Realme
    10:32 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

Zoom story, Clutch.

10:39 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

^^^YES!!!^^^

10:47 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

Okay…

So my wife was participating in a group training session via Zoom for work yesterday. Dozens of people on this meeting. Dozens. So, this one older gentleman who she works with (and I know the guy personally) decided right in the middle of this meeting was a great time to go #2. And take his laptop to the bathroom. And not turn the camera off. DOH! Since it was such a large meeting, his part of the screen was pretty small, but my wife’s phone immediately started blowing up with texts like “WTF IS _____ DOING?!” 🙂

• Realme
      10:49 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

Oh wow. Talk about having a brain fart.

10:53 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

Among the other types of farts. lol At least everyone was muted except the presenter at the time, so he had that going for him at least. The flushing sound would have made it even worse/better.

10:56 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

Was he red-faced, and not from embarrassment?

• runningunnin.454
      10:57 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

Hee Haw, snicker snicker snort snort. Good one.

10:59 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

This dude is around 60, retired Army officer, and as crusty as you might imagine. Knowing him, he would be only mildly embarrassed, so I feel okay laughing about it.

11:00 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

And was the presenter (or anyone else) recording? It’s just one little button right there.

11:00 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

That is too funny BTW.

11:01 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

I meant red-faced from straining. *heh*

11:05 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

I imagine it was recorded by somebody. The fact that it happened and how a lot of people were freaking out was funnier than what anybody could really see on video. I don’t think the lighting was good enough to tell about red-faced. Ha!

• RealCatsFan
      11:15 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

When the Zoom meeting really goes in the toilet…

Great story, Clutch!

• RealCatsFan
      11:20 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, it reminds me of the “sexy selfie” that the lady tried to take of herself in a bathroom with a huge dookie sitting in the commode in the background behind her. 🙂

9. ClutchCargo
    11:16 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

Sorghum is like molasses, but made from the sorghum plant instead of sugar cane.

10. RealCatsFan
    11:18 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

I missed listening to most of the first hour because I had to drop daughter #2 off at club volleyball practice. I walked inside to talk to some of my fellow coaches. I think everyone is trying to keep alive that little glimmer of hope that we might have some form of fall sports, but it is fleeting away. It’s kind of sad. At least the kids seemed to be enjoying just being on the court.

Along those lines, that is why I think some of the highly ranked football players may go ahead and play if they have any type of season. Those guys were born to play the game. Of course, they have to balance that with the chance that it could affect playing it in the future, but that’s life.

11:23 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

I agree. High level athletes are competitive by nature, even the well paid pros. That’s what gets them to that level. I think the average person overestimates how much of their motivation is strictly money.

11. classof68
    11:19 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

For once, STD is wrong – on the pronunciation of sorghum. He’s usually right tho.

• runningunnin.454
      11:29 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

Love sorghum, and you’re right; but, my family pronounced it like STD. MJ should wander the streets of NYC and ask people if they know what it is.

11:30 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

Depending on any Bullitt Countian for pronunciation guidance is risky at best.

• RealCatsFan
      11:32 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

My daughter constantly gets on my case about how I say “wash” – I tend to let the backwoods Kentucky “worsh” creep in from time to time. At least I don’t say “oral” for “oil”. 🙂

11:33 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

I think a lot of it is just how it comes out of someone’s mouth. Most people who say it like STD would hear the MJ pronunciation and say “yes” then repeat the STD pronunciation back to them, not even noticing the difference if they hadn’t just been called out on it.

11:35 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

RCF, everybody knows oil is pronounced “ole.” 😉 Actually, my uncle in Russell Co pronounces it kind of like “earl.”

11:54 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

Some here say “awl”.

12. RealCatsFan
    11:41 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

So if I have to wear a mask in public, I at least want to have a little bit of fun with it. I either want to get one with the teeth and fangs on it like some of the football mouth guards, or I want to get one of those little spinner things like Benny had on his mouthpiece.

11:42 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

I guess the spinner thing would at least warn people that you are exhaling around them. Ha!

13. runningunnin.454
    11:44 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

I’m not sure what that guy is saying; but, summer camps in Missouri and Arkansas have closed because >50 kids have tested positive. I don’t expect fall sports, sadly.

14. RealCatsFan
    11:57 am July 10, 2020 Permalink

This dude saying that his truck gets to 180* needs to call OSHA. I’m calling bullshit on that one.