KSR Show Thread 7/1: Free Agent Frenzy

@TheKnicksWall

@TheKnicksWall

Have you caught your breath yet from the madness that is NBA Free Agency yet? No?

Let Matt Jones and the KSR crew help you rest up a bit this morning on the radio show.

On KSR today, expect to hear a bit about all the big signings, where former Wildcats landed, and the NBA Summer League beginning this evening.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

50 Comments for KSR Show Thread 7/1: Free Agent Frenzy

1. runningunnin.454
    10:04 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

Here’s your Monday Morning Laugh of the Day,
    Jeff Goodman’s basketball top 25 for next season,
    1. Kansas 2. Michigan State 3. Louisville…
    All together now, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

• Realme
      10:05 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

He so silly.

• RealCatsFan
      10:22 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

After hearing about J-Lorenzen, I needed something to make me laugh.

• ClutchCargo
      10:22 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

Clearly we need a pay for play or sexual abuse scandal if we want to climb in Goodman’s rankings.

• RealCatsFan
      10:24 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

Yeah Clutch, I guess we just need to adapt to the new trend.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:47 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

I’m just glad the NBA fee agency thing is over. Looking forward to football! But not wanting to wish my life away, so I’ll try to be patient. πŸ™‚

• J-Dub421
      11:03 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

I’ve been having fun watching our Women’s US National Team whup people on the world stage. And, Wimbledon starts today which is always exciting.

• TPACAT
      7:31 pm July 1, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, especially that one purple-haired angry lesbian that kneels for the National Anthem! Now that’s someone I can really get behind!!!

2. RealCatsFan
    10:21 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

Kind of surprised that they didn’t lead the ST with a picture of Jared. Praying hard for him. I had been busy all weekend and not listening to the radio or reading KSR, so just found out this morning. πŸ™

And to hear that Freddie Maggard is apparently also having health problems is also concerning. Things had been going so well around the football program, and this is kind of a double gut punch.

• Realme
      10:24 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

2 great guys who already had enough physical challenges. I pray they will both have happy endings here.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:53 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

What were the challenges that Freddie already had?

• Realme
      10:58 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

He talked a lot in the podcasts about how much pain he has. Football and military service was hard on his body, but it sounds like he also has something like Rheumatoid arthritis. They used to tease him for taking several baths a day to get through. Jared and Freddie went on so many non football tangents, it was hilarious. It’s not nearly as fun to listen to without them.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:03 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

I wondered if it was connected to football and military service. Here’s praying they both get better!

• J-Dub421
      11:04 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

Hope everything works out for Jared and Freddie. They are both good dudes and Wildcats through and through.

3. Realme
    10:29 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

That’s one of the least appetizing restaurant names ever. But those restaurants that have really limited hours are often only open because someone loves to cook and they end up being amazing food.

• ClutchCargo
      10:32 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

I’m a little late tuning in. What was it?

• Realme
      10:34 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

I don’t have any idea how one would spell it. Out of Matt’s mouth it sounds like Purple Poo-lay. In Northern KY.

• runningunnin.454
      10:36 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

I’m fond of all the little diners around the south that have signs that just say….”EAT”.
      Not.

• ClutchCargo
      10:38 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

There’s a bbq joint in Hardinsburg called Hog’s Ass. It’s not even all that good, so it doesn’t even have that going for it. lol

• Realme
      10:41 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

I think it closed, but there was one here called Butt Rubbin BBQ. No thanks.

• RealCatsFan
      10:44 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

rg, if they actually have to command you to EAT, sounds a bit sketchy to me.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:51 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

There used to be one called The Boar’s Butt in Winfield, AL, and there used to be one called Smokin’ Butts (or something like that) near here, just up the road toward Wetumpka, AL (home of our RB Mr. Smoke…I won’t even try to spell his first name).

• ClutchCargo
      10:56 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

Pulled pork is most commonly made from Boston butt (actually the upper part of the shoulder surrounding the shoulder blade, go figure), but I swear a lot of these bbq joints resort to letting middle schoolers come up with a name for the business. Not that I’m above some MS humor, mind you. πŸ™‚

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:02 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

Insert Beavis & Butthead laughing gif here. Haha.

Hey, that’s who probably named those joints!

• J-Dub421
      11:06 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

It’s probably Purple Poulet. Poulet is french for chicken.

• Realme
      11:08 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

It better have a giant purple chicken on the roof!

• RexRox
      3:57 pm July 1, 2019 Permalink

Deez Butts in Elizabethtown.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:42 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

So yesterday was visitors day for daughter #1 who is at Centre College. Her boyfriend headed down earlier in the day to visit with her, and they decided to drive up to Lexington to rollerskate and do some shopping. So we decided to meet them up there, and we met up outside of a UK apparel store. Boyfriend’s mom is from the Cajun state, and her family are LSU fans, so he was wearing an LSU t-shirt. The guy working the register saw his shirt and said, “We should be able to find you a much better looking shirt than that!” I laughed and told him, “It gets worse – he is actually a Louisville fan.” I was actually surprised that he bought a couple of Kentucky shirts to wear to games if he goes with my daughter. There might be hope for him yet, and I may get to refrain from knocking him off. πŸ™‚

• ClutchCargo
      10:47 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

Ahhh, that takes me back to a fall break trip with the fam to Disney World in 2007. I was wearing a UK t-shirt and an LSU fan working in a gift shop was telling me all about what #1 LSU was going to do to us in a week or two. I think that one turned out a little differently than either of us expected. πŸ™‚

• RealCatsFan
      10:51 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

My daughter has had the opportunity to give him a lot of grief over the past couple of years. πŸ™‚ He’s a good kid, though, and a good sport about it.

• runningunnin.454
      11:05 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

LSU and Louisville? Smokey Robinson’s mom might have some advice for her,
      “You better shop around”.

• RealCatsFan
      11:25 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

rg, if you have ever raised daughters, you would know that if you make a guy the “forbidden fruit”, it only enhances the allure. πŸ˜‰ She has to figure out that part of life on her own. In all seriousness, as long as the guy is a good dude, has a generous heart, and treats her and others with respect, I am somewhat OK with it. (But it would be much easier if he were a Cats fan.) Now if she brought home a dookie, those rules would be revamped immediately! (But she knows better – both my kids hate dook just as much as I do, if not more.)

5. RealCatsFan
    10:49 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

The lead singer for Blackberry Smoke used to have one of the oddest looking beards I have ever seen. But they have some good, old fashioned southern rock.

6. ClutchCargo
    11:10 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

Love me a 4 day holiday weekend! Now if people will calm down with the fireworks days after the 4th, that’d be great.

• RealCatsFan
      11:49 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

I like fireworks, and it doesn’t bother me very much, but I can see where certain pets and perhaps people dealing with PTSD would disagree.

7. ClutchCargo
    11:16 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

Wouldn’t it make more sense to fly into Paducah to go to Kevil? May RG can set them straight.

8. ClutchCargo
    11:18 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

What if Eddie Sutton had won a title? Rafters? No.

• J-Dub421
      11:24 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

Neither Sutton nor BCG will ever sniff a title, so it’s not really an issue.

• RealCatsFan
      11:27 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

Totally agree about BCG, but Sutton actually had the talent to make a run at a title before the crap hit the fan.

• ClutchCargo
      11:28 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

He did get to the elite 8 his first year at UK, so it was at least possible at the time.

• runningunnin.454
      11:29 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

Sutton might have a title; but, he ran into UK in the ’78 final four.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:38 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

And I remember reading in the LHL (since were visiting Lexington at the time) that UK fans pulled for the Hogs in the consolation game (yes, they had one in those days, young’ns!) since they were playing Notre Dame, and Hog fans returned the favor and cheered for the Cats in the championship game.

Man, I also remember reading that UK fans showed up at the airport to welcome the Cats back late at night. I wish I had known that was a thing. If so I would have tried to talk my dad into going for that.

BTW, I know I’ve mentioned this (I say that a lot here I know), but we drove to Athens to see UK play Georgia that year, so that’s a nice memory that I got to see that team play. It was the Monday night after Notre Dame beat Marquette and we reclaimed the #1 spot.

9. J-Dub421
    11:39 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

UK is still in the SEC, and we are clearly a program on the rise. We have an awesome coaching staff and fabulous brand new state-of-the-art training facilities. We also have a rabid fanbase. Why wouldn’t recruits want to come here?

10. RealCatsFan
    11:46 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

Who is the person that Drew is talking about, who attended UK and murdered her boyfriend?

• Realme
      11:51 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

I don’t know if she went to UK. Was from Lexington and would have been here in high school and then lived in NK when she shot her boyfriend in “self defense”. Shayna Hubers, victim was Ryan Posten.

• Realme
      11:53 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

I’ve seen it on a couple murder shows. Interesting story.

11. RealCatsFan
    11:47 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

Great news that Jared seems to be holding his own, and even improving slightly in his fight. Prayers continuing for the big guy.

12. RealCatsFan
    11:50 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

I saw where the Makir Maker kid was declared ineligible. He was on Cal’s radar for a while, but I doubt he is now.

• Realme
      11:52 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

High School eligibility issues didn’t stop Cal from taking Skal.

• ClutchCargo
      11:58 am July 1, 2019 Permalink

Maker has simply used up all of his HS eligibility. It means nothing for college eligibility.