KSR Show Thread, 6/8: Matthew Mitchell guest hosts

It’s one of KSR’s favorite days of the year: the day Matt Jones hands his KSR radio show over to UK women’s basketball coach Matthew Mitchell. Coach Mitchell will guide the show for two hours with Ryan Lemond sitting nearby for him to pick on. You’ll want to tune in, as is tradition.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

45 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 6/8: Matthew Mitchell guest hosts

1. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:05 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

Something besides Kelly Clarkson talk, PLEASE.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:13 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

Well never mind. I would have liked a little KC talk instead of more riot coverage. He can’t say anything we haven’t already heard ad nauseum. Blah blah blah.

I’ll see you guys later (but not Wednesday when the PMT nitwits take over).

• CatManDo
      10:17 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I don’t understand what KSR thinks they can tell us that we aren’t already seeing all over the news and everywhere else. This isn’t a stick to sports thing – just find something else to talk about.

• Realme
      10:24 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

Agree about KC. As far as him having comments about the current situation, I’d think him irresponsible if he ignored it, because of his position.

• ClutchCargo
      10:26 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

I always watch the local news at night, on a little bit of a DVR delay, and just fast forward through the stuff I don’t care about seeing. I don’t want to see riots, but I can only handle so much of watching a crowd walk down the street. I hit the wall last night and only watched weather coverage.

• ClutchCargo
      10:28 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

I think, at this point, any time you bring in somebody new (especially a coach), it’s something that’s going to come up.

• ClutchCargo
      10:50 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

I’m fine with some of KC’s songs, but I don’t need to hear a lot of KC talk. And she annoys me when she talks.

• Realme
      10:55 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

I like when media made a big deal of her gaining wait and she told them where to stick it.

2. Realme
    10:27 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

Pssssst! I’m whispering. I am not going to listen to those donkeys on Wed, but also am not going to say so then, because it might disappoint those weirdos that show up here once a year to call me stupid for not liking them. There. Got that out of my system early.

• ClutchCargo
      10:31 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

On Wednesday I might work on setting something up where I can show my hawk pictures. Unless I do it before then.
      I broke down and ordered a set of clip-on lenses for my phone. Not the easiest thing to do from the distance of my deck to the tree with the nest, but I got a couple of okay shots.

• Realme
      10:37 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

You know I’m not judging picture quality.

3. Realme
    10:29 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

This is long, but fun. The guy that built glitter bombs for porch pirates took on squirrels at the bird feeder.

• ClutchCargo
      10:34 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

So America Ninja Warrior: Squirrel Edition. That would be fun to watch, but there’s simpler and better ways to squirrel proof those. Just have to be smarter than a squirrel. 😉

• ClutchCargo
      10:37 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

We got invaded by raccoons a couple of years ago. Went out one night and there were SIX trash pandas on the bird feeder pole. The squirrel baffle was no problem whatsoever for them to climb over, so we got a raccoon baffle and that solved the problem immediately.

• Realme
      10:39 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

I used to feed stray cats. Raccoons found that food and offered to fight me when I tried to chase them off with a broom.

• Realme
      10:40 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

No squirrels at my house ever. Trees too young I assume.

• runningunnin.454
      10:45 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

Always had a fun hunting rivalry with my Dad; held my own hunting deer, elk, razorbacks, and quail; but, never bagged a turkey. I always told him he was lucky; and, he always said, “you have to be smarter than the turkey”. Thanks, Dad.
      Adding insult to this was the fact that my wife bagged two turkeys with her car; one was the day before Thanksgiving, but we had already bought a turkey, ha ha.

• Realme
      10:48 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

I’ve “bagged” some birds and squirrels with my car, had no idea it counted as hunting.

• ClutchCargo
      10:48 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

That’s funny, rg. “Gotta be smarter than ____” is one of my favorite smartass comments, and I have lots of those. 🙂

• RealCatsFan
      10:50 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

I live in a semi-rural area, so I get the whole assortment of critters and varmints. Several years ago, we had a trash panda coming into the garage through the pet door to help himself to the bowl of cat food. We would often come home at night, hit the door opener, and see him making his escape in the headlights. One night the door opened to see Mr Trash Panda and our Siamese cat nose to nose, sizing each other up. Fortunately, when we started leaving the porch light turned on it was enough to deter him, surprisingly.

I just got done battling a couple of whistle pigs that had decided to excavate about 3 square yards of gravel from under my pole barn. I wouldn’t necessarily mind having them around, because they are kind of cute, but this couple dug out enough gravel that I was afraid that the 7000 lbs of boat sitting on the pad above them was going to settle into the hole like the Corvettes in Bowling Green several years ago. They now have a nice view of the lake next to the LaGrange Reformatory. 🙂

• RealCatsFan
      10:51 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

rg, I used to tease a friend of mine who was an avid turkey hunter about having to outsmart them. 🙂

• RealCatsFan
      10:55 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, a buddy of mine was dealing with raccoons getting into his barn and eating all the dog food, so he put out a trap. He kept catching them, and he actually started to paint their tails with orange paint before releasing them to make sure it wasn’t the same one coming back. I think he got to about 13 of them before he just gave up.

• ClutchCargo
      10:57 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

Oh, I almost forgot about my encounter with a 6 ft long rat snake in my neighbor’s garage this weekend. So, he comes over carrying a rake to where we were all sitting outside, and mentions that he has a snake on his trash can inside the garage. I know it’s not venomous or anything, but damn, that sucker was large and trying its best to imitate a rattle snake. Long story short, I grab a snow shovel and help the neighbor guide it out of the garage. But the other neighbor across the street turns out to be a low-key badass. While we’re all trying to figure out how to get this beast back out to the woods, he just walks up and snatches it by the throat and carries it out there. He doesn’t look scary at all, but I’m legitimately a little intimidated by this dude now.

• Realme
      10:57 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

Just googled whistle pig. Learn something new every day.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:58 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

Just checking back in…you knew I had to. Haha.

I am a softie when it comes to animals, but we don’t feed stray cats since I learned years ago all you do is make them proliferate and make the problem worse. I’m a fan of the programs that catch feral cats and fix and release them. It’s not a perfect solution, but if I knew the stray cats I see in the area had been fixed, I’d be more likely to feed them. I know they’re not though because some of them were little kitties not long ago when we first saw them.

• Realme
      11:01 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

One time my neighbor knocked on the door because she wanted my husband, who wasn’t there, to help with a “snake”. So I used a snow shovel to move a garter snake for her. That’s just as brave, right?

• Realme
      11:02 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

Yeah Chris, that stray feeding got out of control and I never did that again.

• ClutchCargo
      11:03 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

Realme, I thought so when I grabbed the snow shovel, but I learned otherwise.

• RealCatsFan
      11:04 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, I’m far from a badass, but I used to catch them all the time. I was a bit of a “snake geek” back in elementary school. Had a couple of rat snakes that I caught. I have caught dozens of them and been bitten a number of times. It really doesn’t hurt that bad, their teeth are extremely small – dog and cat bites are usually much worse. Of course, you have to educate yourself to know that you are dealing with a non-venomous variety. I’m a member of a FB group that is devoted to identifying Kentucky native snakes, and it’s a great resource.

• runningunnin.454
      11:06 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

Who would have suspected Realme was an accomplished hunter. I hope you ate what you bagged.

• ClutchCargo
      11:09 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

I did google rat snakes, and found a Youtube video of this teenager who goes around and picks them up like pets and tells all about them. He did have a couple of bloody bite marks on his arm, but it didn’t seem to be a big deal. I would have just never thought to put my hands on one.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:09 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

A ground hog is also known as a whistle pig? I did not know that either.

About raccoons: we used to watch those “Animal Cops” shows, and the one set in Miami had a guy on there who specialized in getting gators and other critters (like raccoons) off people’s properties and out of there houses. One lady called him and said she had started feeding 1 raccoon and it wasn’t long before he apparently told all his friends and her back porch was overrun. He looked out her sliding glass door and yeah, the porch was covered, so he would up trapping a bunch and moving them away.

• RealCatsFan
      11:13 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

rg, that reminds me of one of my crazy redneck buddies from long ago. We nicknamed Ronnie “Buck” because he spent most of his life out in the woods hunting for that elusive “big buck”. One night I was at a mutual friend’s house (another good ol’ boy), and the phone rang and it was Buck on the line saying “guess what I have in my trunk”? Of course we knew him well enough to say “A deer, what else?” Sure enough, a deer had ran out in front of him, and he showed up a few minutes later with the deceased deer in the trunk of his Monte Carlo. He had already bagged two that year the conventional way, so this was the third for him. And that spring, one of the Derby horses was names “Triple Buck”. Guess what horse Ronnie put all his money on? (and no, it didn’t even place.)

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:14 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

Oh, and one time a raccoon got in a house, so when he showed up to get it, he opened the bedroom door and the thing had totally trashed the room. He said he actually would rather deal with a gator than an angry raccoon holed up in in a house. He then put on some kevlar gloves that looked like industrial dish gloves and said their teeth sometimes still puncture those things. He caught the rascal and needless to say it was VERY angry, but he got it into a cage, shut the door, held up his hands and said “They held up!”

• RealCatsFan
      11:25 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:30 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

lol. The top rated comment for the raccoon video:
      I WILL FIGHT TO THE DEATH FOR MY- wait, that’s tasty. Nom nom nom.”

• Realme
      11:42 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

My brother had a cat that would scream at you until you offered ice cream on a fingertip. She’d keep growling while she licked it though.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:52 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

I had to laugh at MM calling out Ryan for his corny joke. Well deserved!

5. runningunnin.454
    10:54 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

I’m sorry, I can only take so much Buck Owens. Roy Clark was a much more accomplished musician,

• Bluehender
      12:12 pm June 8, 2020 Permalink

What a talented man. And great song..I liked it when I was young and now that I’m older it sounds even better

6. ClutchCargo
    11:11 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

From the looks of Pitino these days, “Patina” does seem to fit.

7. runningunnin.454
    11:49 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

Expecting big things from the UK women this year; maybe we can hit the boards a little better.

• Realme
      11:53 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

Is that most recent transfer expected to play this year?

• runningunnin.454
      11:57 am June 8, 2020 Permalink

Don’t know; but, I hope the ncaa just pushes all the waivers through.