KSR Show Thread 6/5: Let’s talk some basketball

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Friday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, Jack Pilgrim rejoins the gang to talk some basketball, so if you’ve got questions about the current team or recruiting, now’s your shot!

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

91 Comments for KSR Show Thread 6/5: Let’s talk some basketball

1. UKBigBlueForever
    10:12 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

When should we hear about Sarrs eligibility status? I feel pretty confident it’ll be good news for the CATS but was just curious

10:21 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, it would be nice to know. The memory of the Enes Kanter fiasco leaves just enough doubt to worry a little.

10:30 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Gonna be national bad pr for the ncaa if they don’t give the waiver.

10:31 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Whatever the decision is, I am sure the NCAA will drag the decision out to the very last minute.

10:33 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

That’s the thing I fully expect, and hate, RCF. They will drag it out and then act like they’re doing us a favor if he does get it, maybe even after the season starts.

2. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:18 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Can I get those goal glasses in prescription? πŸ™‚

3. ClutchCargo
    10:23 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Happy National Moonshine Day, everyone! Please celebrate responsibly.

4. runningunnin.454
    10:26 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Welp, there goes the football season.

10:31 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

I really don’t think so. If you’re going to test 100+ people, you have to expect some positive tests. That’s kind of the point of even testing. I think we’ve just been conditioned to freak out when positive tests are announced.

10:34 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Players showing up and being held out for being positive for Covid fine. Players traceably (not a word, idk) transmitting to others under the new protocol would be the death knell.

10:35 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

On the flip side, Dwight Witten on 840 AM was reporting this morning that there has so far been no significant increase in COVID cases after the crazy pool parties at Lake of the Ozarks on Memorial Day Weekend. I think a major component of the spread has to do with the crowds being outside in the sunlight and open air. I think the real danger is when you have a big crowd in a closed environment with poor airflow. So basketball games and concerts might be difficult at best. More encouraging for football games.

10:39 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

go cats and go fans at football games!

10:42 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Play the bball games outside. We’ve played on an aircraft carrier.

10:44 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Install a bunch of Big Ass Fans in Rupp. Problem solved!

10:47 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

BTW, the guys on my local show this morning said zero of those five players are symptomatic, so I wonder how many people who never got sick have had it but will never know?

5. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:28 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Could someone get Ryan to stop constantly calling low competition “Poop State”? It’s getting a little old. We used to always say “Little Sisters of the Poor”. A long moniker to be sure, but maybe something like “Stink U” could be thrown in now and then.

Anyway, I liked his old video of covering HS bball where he invoked the Bob Ueker “Yo! Must be in the front row!” That was a classic commercial.

10:36 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Sad thing is that we used to be “Poop State” in football.

And yes, those old commercials were classic.

10:36 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

He loves a good poop phrase. Even if he has to make it up.

10:43 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Tell him to at least be scientific now and then with “Feces State”.

I have to admit I almost giggle like a 5 year old every time I hear someone who knows sailing refer to the “poop deck”.

10:47 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Wasn’t Popeye’s father named Poopdeck Pappy? I used to crack up when I would watch those really old Popeye cartoons as a kid.

10:58 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

I think you are correct CC. I don’t remember for sure.

11:24 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

cg, a buddy used to have a big houseboat and he had a “poop deck” sign hanging on the door to the head. πŸ™‚

6. Realme
    10:32 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

I’m proud Stoops will protest with his guys. And praying for it to be a safe and positive for all of them.

10:36 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

I’m in favor of the peaceful protests. The more people who do that, the more obvious it becomes that the ones doing the looting and burning are just lowlife criminals not interested in making the world a better place.

10:57 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, there is looting that springs from sheer rage and anger in a crowd, and that is wrong and self-harming. It’s kind of like punching the wall when you are enraged. And then there is opportunistic looting by common criminals looking for an excuse, and the worst of all, politically motivated looting. We saw all three on display, and all are wrong, but the last one is beyond wrong.

11:12 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

I get what you’re saying, but I don’t go punching my neighbors’ walls when I’m enraged about something. And I just don’t believe that looting is ever anything other than opportunistic crime. It’s not something that just happens in a split second, like punching the wall, so it requires a certain amount of premeditation.

11:14 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

And good point about the politically motivated looting.

7. Realme
    10:35 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

I love that the truth insists on calling him Bryan.

10:37 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

The Truth is bringing the truth today. I’m a fan now.

10:38 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

He reminds me of Muhammed Ali – he likes to say provocative stuff and be mouthy, but for the most part it is in fun. I didn’t like him at first, but he has grown on me, and I like him now. And I hope his health is doing well these days.

10:38 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

And leave it to him to call in with actual words of wisdom.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:39 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

The Truth has been around for years. I haven’t heard from him in awhile. Glad he seems to be doing okay after some health scares over the years.

• classof68
      10:59 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

The Truth earned a lot of respect today.

10:59 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Speaking of Ryan, my younger kid was on a country music kick and was jamming to a Darius Rucker song. When I told her that he used to front a rock band called Hootie and the Blowfish and that he is black, she was blown away. πŸ™‚

8. runningunnin.454
    10:35 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Typical UT fans would get excited about a video game…been a long time since ’98. Reminds me of IU.
    I looked in; funniest thing was the scores running across the bottom of the screen like espn. Georgia was 6-5 and losing to Georgia Tech; yeah right.

9. Realme
    10:39 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Please make Andy stop with the creepy conversations.

10:42 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

I missed who that was at the beginning. I vaguely remember a super creepy call from him last year, I think it was.

10:45 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Any time he talks about Hayley it’s creepy, but I don’t want any details about him getting a massage either.

10:48 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

That’s what it was! He was creeping on her in a very disturbing way in that one call I heard.

10:49 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

And I was a little worried about what turn that story about the massage might take. πŸ™‚

10. RealCatsFan
    10:46 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

I feel kind of bad for Drew Brees. First of all, he was asked his view on kneeling during the National Anthem and he expressed his view that he found it to be disrespectful to the anthem and the people who fought for it. He has a right to his opinion, and that opinion does not make him a racist. Perhaps he expressed a lack of understanding for why they are doing it, but attacking him as racist was out of line. And now he has apologized (twice!), and has stated that he now has a better understanding of why the players are protesting in this way, and some people still will not forgive him. IMO, it is rare these days to see someone sincerely admit they were wrong and apologize like that. He should get more respect for that. I personally wish the players could find a less controversial way to protest police brutality while still showing deference to those who fought for our country, but I do respect them for their beliefs, and I would never berate someone for peacefully expressing their right to protest.

10:51 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

“YOU WILL COMPLY! YOU *WILL* USE THE CORRECT ADJECTIVES! AND BTW, *WE* ARE THE ARBITERS OF WHAT ARE THE CORRECT ADJECTIVES, NOT YOU!!! AND BTW *ALL* IS NOT THE CORRECT ADJECTIVE!!! YOU WILL BE *FIRED* IF YOU HAVE THE GALL TO SAY *ALL*!!!”

That is where we are.

10:54 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t like the kneeling at first, but them I read that Kaep had a good conversation with a member of the military to come up with that action. To me it meant that he didn’t want to disrespect anyone’s sacrifice. And I agree with the sentiment that those fighting for freedom are fighting to give others the right to protest, even if it’s not considered tasteful to everyone.

10:57 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Chris, people say all lives matter as a way to dismiss black people who want to be part of that all. I agree with them that all lives cannot matter until theirs matter more in our society.

11:06 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

But Realme, when someone says it’s dismissive they are judging the other person’s motives, and that is Biblically wrong Just because some may use it to be dismissive doesn’t mean *all* are using it that way (and I’m certainly not). If BLM, they would all be pro-life, and many of the people shouting BLM are pro-abortion.

As for Kaep, I don’t buy it. He torpedoed Nike’s Betsy Ross flag shoes, and he wore a t-shirt with the mass murderer from Cuba on it, and the pig socks as well. If he had only kneeled, that would be one thing, but there was much more. He painted all cops with a VERY broad brush and now people are actually convincing politicians to abolish police. What kind of a world are we living in? Meanwhile a lot of the same people don’t want us to have firearms for self defense.

11:12 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

I’m not saying that’s your motive Chris, but people that don’t know you will assume it is. Kaep may have gotten a chip on his shoulder from all the racist reactions he received for kneeling, leading to his own escalation, that’s just me speculating.
      I agree about the abortion thing. Planned Parenthood makes so much money off African Americans, they are not looking out for the community, they’re exploiting them.

11:13 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

The situation is never going to be solved with over-the-top rhetoric, and I hear that from both sides. As I have said before, politics has devolved into a either a shouting match or an echo chamber, and SM makes that unfortunate part of it that much easier.

11:17 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

You may be right about the escalation thing.

The weird thing to me is that so many people in this country want Cuban type socialism, and from what I’ve read, a lot of Americans over the years believe in it because they buy in to this notion of everyone being equal. Yeah, in Cuba it is equal. He oppresses *everyone*…except for the politburo of course, so it’s really not equal.

11:17 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

cg, you are pulling in a couple of other controversial issues that are best dealt with by themselves rather than mixing them in with the controversial topic of racism. I have my own views of each of them, but don’t have the time to go into it here. Wish we could all sit down over a beer and chat about it. In a civil manner, of course. πŸ™‚

11:19 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, there are multifaceted issues. I’ll have a Coke or Mountain Dew!

11:22 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

cg, I think the number of people who truly want Cuban style socialism is very small. I think the majority of us would like to see the poor and middle class getting more opportunities, but again, I think a lot of the “socialism” battle cry is rhetoric, just like some people think that everything is oppression or racism. Likewise, I think most people in favor of some kind of firearms restrictions are not in favor of disarming our citizens and not allowing people the right to self-defense. I’m a middle of the road guy, and sometimes it gets to feeling pretty lonely. πŸ˜‰

11:25 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Right there with you RCF. “Both wings belong to the same bird”

11. Realme
    10:47 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

I got a bluebird and kingbird added to my bad bird photos collection this morning. And was dive bombed by a tree swallow. Kept getting right in my ear from behind and chirping. Cute compared to the wing slap of a barn swallow.

10:52 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

I really wish I had a camera with a good zoom lense. The young hawks are just hanging out in the nest, flapping their wings and looking like they can’t wait to try flying.

10:54 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

You need to start sharing those from Google Drive or Dropbox or something. My friend who posted all those photos of the bluebirds captioned each one (when the mama was about to go in the house and was looking back he said “Looking for predators! Okay it’s safe”) and folks were telling him he should write a book. he’s a preacher so I’m sure he could. It looked like he could use those photos and captions as a launching pad for a children’s book.

10:56 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

I’m glad you all reminded me. I almost forgot to post this:

“25 Things You Might Not Know About the Birds in Your Backyard”

10:56 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

I would LOVE to see the photos of the young hawks.

11:00 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

I bet it’s any day now for your hawks to fledge, Clutch. Chris I have a tumblr where I started keeping my “collection”. I’ll share it after I go fill my feeders.

11:09 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Now it sounds like the KSR crew is getting into the bird watching too. πŸ™‚

11:20 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha they don’t have a choice apparently.

If I link it you’d get a sign in screen, but if you go to the tumblr website and put badbirdphotos in the search bar you could see bird photos taken with my binoculars or phone and also my cats.

11:31 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Cool, Realme! I may have to do something like that.

11:38 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Yes, so we can see the hawks!

11:46 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

But now I’m back to the need for a way to get a good photo from about 60 yds away. I currently only have my phone.

12:02 pm June 5, 2020 Permalink

I’ll figure it out somehow.

12:03 pm June 5, 2020 Permalink

Yeah you might need to climb the tree, ha ha.

1:45 pm June 5, 2020 Permalink

Amazon better hurry up with that telephoto lens for phones that I ordered, and should be here tomorrow. About an hour ago they both climbed up maybe a foot out of the nest and are sitting on the branches it is attached to.

12. RealCatsFan
    10:53 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

I wasn’t listening to the show yesterday because they held my daughter’s graduation ceremony. They did a really nice job with it – she got to walk across the stage to get her diploma, and they filmed it and will put all the videos together for all the kids. It was about the best that could be done considering the circumstances, and I am grateful for the hard work put in by the staff to make it special for the kids.

The only thing I would do differently if I could do it again would be to bring a big boom box with applause and crowd noise to crank up when she walked across the stage.

Still, I’m one proud papa. Summa cum laude, valedictorian, Governor’s Scholar, and she was on so many organizations that I lose track. Good thing she takes after he momma! πŸ™‚ Excuse me for my humblebrag.

13. Dustin Rumbaugh
    11:00 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Is that Matt’s yearbook photo?

11:15 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha no, it’s much dorkier than that.

11:17 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

If so Dr. Huang has a crystal ball. I don’t know why else he took that photo. Haha.

14. Laker Cat 18
    11:16 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

This is random, but when I first turned the show on today, not knowing Jack Pilgrim was going to be on….I thought he initially sounded like the Hefty Lefty. RIP 22.

11:19 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Not only do I miss him on KSR, but I REALLY liked the rare occasion when it was him and Couch both hosting. Great stories in addition to breaking down the game of football.

11:19 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Give him a Cincinnati accent, and he would sound just like 22.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:22 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

He was one of my favorite guest hosts. Seemed like a very genuine person outside of the football player we all know him as.

11:23 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

He was such a good dude.

11:26 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Miss him so much, such a good dude. Why do we have to lose so many of the good ones?

15. Realme
    11:41 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Did Ky Joe say what was going on the other day? I came back in the room and he sounded like he was saying goodbye just in case.

11:58 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Sounds like something with his liver, hopefully not the “Big C”.

16. Laker Cat 18
    11:48 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

I don’t follow @MattJonesRadio on Twitter for a few reasons, but I do follow @KySportsRadio. With that said, I’ve really enjoyed the Matt Jones Podcast lately. Some good stuff here lately.

17. ClutchCargo
    11:49 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

I hate it, but the football team is going to have to show me they can win the games they should win before I ever predict a win over UT.

• runningunnin.454
      11:54 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Beat them in 2017, not that long ago.

11:55 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

Not that long ago, but this shouldn’t even be a conversation today. There have been so many missed opportunities when they don’t even have a good team, but we have found a way to lose.

18. ClutchCargo
    11:53 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

If a husband says something and the wife is not around to hear it, is he still wrong?

19. ClutchCargo
    11:58 am June 5, 2020 Permalink

I like the full capacity football games scoop! I guess we’ll have see how it all plays out, though.