KSR Show Thread 6/3: Nick Roush joins the crew

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Wednesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, Nick Roush is joining Ryan and Drew to talk a little Kentucky football. Tune in to hear the latest on the gridiron Cats, and other happenings in the wide world of UK sports and beyond.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

59 Comments for KSR Show Thread 6/3: Nick Roush joins the crew

1. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:01 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

This is what the Bard would refer to as “Hoist with his own petard”:

I wonder if he’ll get fired like the Sacramento Kings guy?

10:12 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

Wow.

10:21 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

One would think that people who write words for a living would realize that words have meanings attached to them. If it wasn’t for the fact that all of this is happening, the irony of those tweets would be hilarious.

2. Realme
    10:13 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

This sound is working SO great.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:17 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

If we all open up our Bibles instead of simply holding them up, our eyes might land on these words:

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God.

That’s all I have to say about our nation right now.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:20 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

Agreed.

10:34 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

True. Weird how so many Christians believe Trump is one of them for holding one. Not sure I see any love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness or self control coming out of him.

10:37 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

I have to wonder how sincere those Christians really are, but whatever. It seems to be based on what they are against, not what they are for.

10:43 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, Clutch. Way too much of that unfortunately.

4. Realme
    10:18 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

Still calling Matt’s vaca a furlough. Soon as the sun shifts I’m headed out on the porch, but I’m gonna call that a visit to the trenches.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:20 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

Is it because iHeart has actually furloughed him to save some money? That to me is the definition of furlough, but who knows with MJ?

10:23 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

I mean, he acted like it was his regular summer absence. If this was iheart telling him he had to do something you’d think he’d say so.

10:23 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

I’m thinking he is actually furloughed, but idk for sure.

10:25 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

I would go to the trenches of my back deck and work under the patio umbrella, but there is a tree crew next door making a lot of noise.

• RealCatsFan
      10:28 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

The “trench” I was in last night was the bilge of my boat. I forgot how much fun “bilge diving” could be. This morning I am all bruised and scratched up. I look like I got into a losing battle with a wombat or something.

10:29 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

He must make good moolah if him taking 2 weeks without pay is helpful to iheart.

• RealCatsFan
      10:30 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

I hope they are careful, Clutch. Couple weeks ago a guy on a tree crew was killed not far from me when a tree he was cutting suddenly split and fall on him. “Barberchairing” is what the tree removal folks call it.

10:32 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

RCF, I’ll bet the guy even knew better than to stand behind the tree he was cutting. Fatigue is a huge risk factor when doing that kind of work.

• RealCatsFan
      11:17 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

From what I read, he had made the notch and was moving behind it to make the back cut when it suddenly fell. Usually when you have a hazard tree (leaning or old, dead and brittle) you notch it and then do a plunge cut to establish the hinge, leaving a “trigger strap” at the very back side. Then you establish a clear escape path and get in there and cut that strap and then get the hell out of there. I’m not a pro, but that’s the way I do it on a big one. But I prefer to pay the pro’s on the scary ones. The outfit I use has a big crane – they lift a little Mexican guy up into the tree to put a strap on it, he rappels to the ground, and then a guy cuts it off at the base. They then feed the whole tree into the most bad azz chipper I have ever seen. (Plug in your Fargo reference here. 🙂 )

5. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:19 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

One thing I know is I sure could use…

6. RealCatsFan
    10:25 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

I agree with Ryan – the early Styx was good Rock n Roll, but they went south when the Mr. Robato crap came out.

Kind of like when REO Speedwagon started out as a hard rock band and then went complete flaccid and turned into just another pop band. 🙂

10:30 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

Agree on Styx and REO Speedwagon. But I guess they had built their cred to the point they felt they could afford to branch out. Jefferson Airplane –> Starship transition has to take the cake for that kind of stuff, though. Chicago did a pretty drastic turnaround in style over a couple of decades, also. The old Chicago stuff is up there with my all-time favorites.

• RealCatsFan
      10:31 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

Journey is another example. There was a lot of pressure on rock bands in the late 70’s to change their sound to make it more “commercial”, mainly from record executives. Heck, even the Stones and the Eagles went Disco. 🙂

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:35 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

Hey, JEFFERSON Starship has some great hard rockin’ tunes when Mickey Thomas first joined them. Jane and Find Your Way Back are AWESOME.

BTW, I only recently read (in YouTube comments I think) that Thomas is from Cairo, GA (pronounced “Kayro”), and a coworker of mine used to live there and knew some of his family. It’s a small town in south GA. My coworker is a musician on the side but never played with Mickey. I don’t remember if he’s met him.

BTW, when did the Eagles go disco? I know which Stones tune was.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:43 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

And I actually liked the “Kilroy Was Here” Styx album, but I can Tommy Shaw’s point on “Behind the Music” when he said “I just wasn’t inspired to write songs about robots.” Yeah, the rest of the band hated having to do yet another concept album. Ryan probably doesn’t realize that was their 2nd.

BTW, Shaw is from Montgomery, and unfortunately when you watch that episode of BTM on YouTube, they’ve cut this part that was in the original airing on VH1. When Styx’s manager (or whomever) told the band he knew who he would try to get to replace a guitarist who left, he was talking about Shaw. Anyway, you can hear the narrator say “But Shaw was still under contract in his hometown of Montgomery, Alabama”, and they show a picture of Bama Lanes (yes, a bowling alley with a lounge called “Kegler’s Cove”) and I thought “Oh, yeah, I’m SURE it was difficult to get out of THAT contract!” Haha. A few years ago Styx played the fair here, and he joked about those days with the crowd saying something like he would show up and they would say “Oh, you can’t play tonight. It’s league night.”

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:48 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

Oh, and I’m glad I got to see Styx back in the mid or late 90s before they threw Dennis Deyoung out of the band. I think it was only about 2 years later they were on BTM after they gave him the boot. lol

Their opening act was Pat Benatar (hoo-hah!) who is STILL my favorite female rocker! I was actually there to see her more than Styx but they were both awesome. It was an evening/night concert at an outdoor amphitheater in the ATL (it was called Chastain Park I think) and the weather was perfect.

• RealCatsFan
      10:50 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

cg, many people say they went to a disco sound at the end of “One of These Nights”. That’s about the extent of it, though. The rest of the song is pretty much rock.

• RealCatsFan
      10:54 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

PB was good, but my favorite female rockers back in the day were Anne and Nancy Wilson of Heart. Easy on the eyes and quite talented. (Nancy makes a cameo appearance in “Fast Times at Ridgemont High”)

• Bluehender
      10:59 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

Best Styx song…Crystal Ball

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:03 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

Oh Heart is absolutely awesome too. I have their live/greatest hits double album on CD. Unfortunately they cut out some banter from Ann in the live stuff (I know because I had the cassette back in the day). They did a live cover of “Rock and Roll” which more than does justice to Zep.

• runningunnin.454
      11:33 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

Late to the party, and you’re talking music; rats. Chris, RCF is correct, Eagles went commercial on “One of These Nights”.
      Also on “The Best of My Love”. “New Kid in Town”, too.

• RealCatsFan
      11:41 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

Very underappreciated song by the Eagles is “On the Border”. That song absolutely rocks, and the lyrics are very pertinent today with all the BigBrotherism around us.

I also like “The Last Resort”, but I’m a tree hugger. 🙂

7. ClutchCargo
    10:39 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think it’s a typo when they said Robert Kirkman is from Richmond. Lots of famous people’s bio’s reference a town folks have actually heard of instead of the smaller town they are actually from.

8. Realme
    10:42 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

This football talk is the most uplifting thing I’ve heard in a week.

10:44 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

Absolutely! They really need to have Nick on more to talk football. For all the abuse he takes from commenters (some of it deserved) he’s pretty good at covering football.

10:48 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think writing is his strength compared to what he can do on the football podcasts. He definitely knows his stuff when talking football.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:49 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

What was it they said about Gatewood and Auburn? I heard him say he doesn’t want to talk about it, but then got distracted.

10:50 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

Just that Gatewood is playing nice so they won’t make it harder for him to get a waiver.

10:51 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

He’s just tired of answering questions about Auburn and has turned the page, as he should.

10:52 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

That was my own take, Realme’s explanation is what they were getting at on the show.

10:54 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know how to feel if Terry and he are both good and healthy.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:59 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

I understand Realme, but after Terry and Sawyer both got hurt last year, I want him available. I still say we beat Florida if Sawyer doesn’t get hurt. Of course, if he had fallen on the fumble we probably win too, but I digress.

10:59 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

I’ll feel great if that is the case. Gatewood is either eligible or not this season, then has the next two years to play regardless.

11:01 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

It’s just that I feel like Terry deserves to not be in a competition. But I also feel that if Joey is awesome, I want to see him play.

11:08 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think Joey is ready to take over, especially with Terry having so much experience in the program. He would be a nice insurance policy, though, and maybe he can get some reps to get more ready for next year.

9. 4everUKBlue
    10:54 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

Bird update….The bird that built the nest in my parents’ garage is a Carolina Wren best I can tell. She files in and out regularly feeding her babies and she will feed them whether anyone is watching or not. I got worried about closing the garage doors at night and possibly locking her out so I started leaving a 3 inch crack. My dog hides under the car waiting for her and tries to catch her but she has no shot at it. Ahhh mother nature is a wonderful thing.

10:57 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

Cool. I had a cw wren nest once. When they fledged they were so loud and goofy.

I have been putting raisins on the porch and have a robin and a mockingbird that will come get them while I’m sitting there, which is fun. They also try to kill each other when they show up at the same time.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:01 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

It was so cool when my friend posted the video of the mockingbird feeding her babies. Another friend just posted several pics of a male & female bluebird who have eggs in their birdhouse (pics of the eggs too). Also very cool. It’ll be neat when he has pics of the babies as long as some predator doesn’t get them or the eggs.

11:03 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

The two baby red shouldered hawks in the back yard are looking annoyed by the tree crew interrupting their naps.

Yesterday I spotted a bumblebee buzzing around the planters on the deck while I was out there. As I was keeping a wary eye on it, a humming bird buzzed right behind me and about gave me a heart attack.

11:03 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

Bluebirds are the best. I was disappointed the other day that all the bb boxes at the horse park were full of other birds.

11:07 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

Go baby hawks and go bluebird babies that hopefully won’t be eaten by hawks!

11:13 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, this coming of age of the hawks this summer might not be great for some of the feeder birds. Last year, my son ran in the house saying “Dad, there’s a bird in a tree pulling its feathers out!” I went out to the driveway and sure enough, little feathers were raining down from one of the trees behind the house. Turns out it was a young hawk eating a small bird it had caught. The young ones are just eager to catch whatever they can, while the adults are more selective.

10. Realme
    11:09 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

I asked Chris Oats’ brother how he was doing but he didn’t say, just gave it a like.

11. ClutchCargo
    11:15 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

Cynthiana is the setting for the beginning of The Walking Dead books. Not entirely sure of Kirkman’s birthplace.

12. ClutchCargo
    11:19 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

Why was I thinking Johnny Majors already died just not that long ago? Maybe I had heard that he was in really bad health.

13. RealCatsFan
    11:42 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

I went to a Catholic HS, so tying a tie is second nature to me. Bow ties, however, are a whole ‘nother thing.

• runningunnin.454
      11:54 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

“Nice tie, is that a clip-on by any chance”.
      Animal House

• RealCatsFan
      11:56 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

In my HS, if you wore a clip-on to school, you wouldn’t have it on for very long. Some of the freshmen (or “greenies” as we called them) would wear them the first week of school, and they would usually end up hanging on the light fixtures.

14. RealCatsFan
    11:55 am June 3, 2020 Permalink

Wow, tough to hear Kentucky Joe having such serious health issues. Prayers to him that he will the treatment he needs and have a fast and full recovery. He sounds pretty shook up about it, so it must be serious.