KSR Show Thread 6/29: Fulton County Spotlight

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will shine the spotlight on Fulton County. Tune in to hear some fun facts about the far west tip of the state and the news from the weekend, including the basketball team arriving on campus.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

18 Comments for KSR Show Thread 6/29: Fulton County Spotlight

1. runningunnin.454
    10:02 am June 29, 2020 Permalink

Found it interesting that the good people in Oregon thought it would be cool to stop calling the Oregon v Oregon State game “The Civil War”.
    Ha ha, I didn’t even know they called it that; I mean, do they really expect us, here in the SEC, to keep up with that game?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:07 am June 29, 2020 Permalink

If they’re still out there, there is also the younger folk duet called “The Civil Wars”. MJ is a fan of theirs.

2. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:10 am June 29, 2020 Permalink

That map above taught me something I never knew in all these years. There is an island of sorts that Kentucky owns there at the west tip? Is this kind of like the UP of Michigan, which is actually attached to Wisconsin and not Michigan?

• Realme
      10:12 am June 29, 2020 Permalink

Maybe they’ll tell us about it. We have a lot of counties.

• runningunnin.454
      10:13 am June 29, 2020 Permalink

Funny thing; coming out of Henderson there’s a highway sign that says, Madisonville, and Fulton. Hope people don’t think they can actually get to Fulton on that highway.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:21 am June 29, 2020 Permalink

I just looked at some slightly more detailed maps of KY and Mizzou, and yeah, that appears to be an island unlike the UP. I remember reading once that Kittery, Maine and Portsmouth, New Hampshire, the town across the water from them, had disputes years ago over where the border in the water actually was and who owned what. It was mainly over fishing waters I think (maybe other things too). I wonder if KY and Mizzou ever had disputes over that island?

I’ve been there once on vacation and it was very cool.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:22 am June 29, 2020 Permalink

To New Hampshire & Maine I mean.

• ClutchCargo
      11:47 am June 29, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, it’s one of those geographical oddities created by how the state borders are defined. You have to go to Tennessee to drive to that part of Kentucky.

• ClutchCargo
      11:48 am June 29, 2020 Permalink

It’s actually a peninsula mostly surrounded by river, connected to Tennessee.

• Megan
      3:52 pm June 29, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, that was new to me, too. I’m guessing the Mississippi changed course, as it sometimes does. It’s for that reason a tiny part of Illinois is now on the west side of the river in Missouri, I think.

3. Realme
    10:17 am June 29, 2020 Permalink

Yes. Please sports. Shut up I don’t care guy.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:22 am June 29, 2020 Permalink

I missed it. What happened?

• Realme
      10:43 am June 29, 2020 Permalink

Matt read a message from a dummy that said he didn’t miss sports.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:49 am June 29, 2020 Permalink

So he messages a sports show. lol

4. classof68
    10:50 am June 29, 2020 Permalink

Terry Beadles was not only the stating QB, but one of the best scrambling QB’s UK ever had. Unfortunately, he was about the only offense we had after 1965.

5. Realme
    11:03 am June 29, 2020 Permalink

Is it really not possible for them to report Covid results according to the amount of cases per capita and per amount of tests administered? Is math not Essential, or do they want us to never really know anything?

• ClutchCargo
      11:49 am June 29, 2020 Permalink

I just wish they would do away with the “new positive tests” hype and focus on hospitalizations/deaths. Of course new cases are going to keep showing up as there is more testing.

6. runningunnin.454
    11:07 am June 29, 2020 Permalink

So, reading about the Western Kentucky area called bubbleland or New Madrid Bend, I see there was a battle there from Feb to April 1862 (have to be careful, here, what I call the war; how about “War Between the States”?). Evidently an area of high strategic significance, the Union won. It was called the Battle of Island Number Ten.
    Also, a famous two family feud referenced in one of Mark Twain’s books. One family killed the two remaining members of the other family, ending the family line…unlike the more famous feud between the Hatfields and McCoys.