KSR Show Thread 6/28: It’s FRIDAY

Ladies and Gentlemen, the weekend is almost here. Celebrate with another fantastic Friday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio with Matt Jones, Ryan Lemond and Drew Franklin.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

73 Comments for KSR Show Thread 6/28: It’s FRIDAY

1. runningunnin.454
    10:09 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

Ugh, don’t want to talk about politics; I’m depressed that it’s started already.

• Realme
      10:15 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

Did it ever end? Yuck.

10:16 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

“Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right…”

• runningunnin.454
      10:20 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

And, we’re stuck in the middle.

• Realme
      10:24 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

Can I make a prediction since the original P word has already been spoken? We’re going to be in for 4 more years of Orangey, because one side will want to keep him no matter what, and the other hasn’t been smart enough to come back to the center a little bit. Okay, I’m done.

• runningunnin.454
      10:26 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

Political science with Realme…love it! And, you’re 100% correct.

10:40 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

Yep, and it doesn’t help that there are about 57 donkeys jockeying for position in this horse race. Looks like the first turn of the Derby.

Is there even going to be a debate for the elephants? Does anyone have the cajones to challenge the big orange one?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:44 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

RCF, there are plenty elephants in congress who don’t like Trump, but if someone tried to primary him, they won’t beat him. They could possibly bloody his nose and cause him to lose the general, but they won’t become the nominee. We saw that in 1980 when Kennedy couldn’t primary one of the worst presidents ever, and Kennedy never became president after that either.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:47 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

And that’s all I have to say about that. 🙂
      (I tried to post the Gump video of him saying that but Frenchy won’t let me)

10:51 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

I seriously think if someone straddles the middle ground a bit more, or just leans slightly left of center, they may be better off to run as an Independent rather to land in the middle of the donkey pack. The big problem is the way the two party has things rigged to totally squeeze out anyone from the outside. IMO it’s a big reason why our current electoral system is broken. That and campaign financing…

• Realme
      10:55 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

We all get it. What’s wrong with the rest of the country!?

• DelrayCat
      11:04 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

One problem is that the Tweeter-in-chief has so fundamentally normalized lying with every breath that Americans in the middle have baked that part of his persona into the cake. Now, anything he says is taken with a grain of salt and can be easily written off as Trump being Trump. Whereas, any Dem will be held to a completely different standard. Then factor in that the dem nominee is likely to be a woman, black, gay, etc. and then you have more right-wing hypocrisy emerge as the grab-em-by-the-you-know-what guy is given another pass. If integrity and honor were the most important factor, then ANY of the democratic candidates is a far better choice than the russian mole we have now.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:07 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

The only Russian mole was Hillary. Okay, now I’m REALLY done. 😛

11:35 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, I was hopeful that we would have some better choices than we had in the last election, but I am beginning to lose faith that this will happen…

• J-Dub421
      11:40 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

I’ll vote for ANYONE over the trash heap we currently have as POTUS. He’s one of the dumbest, meanest humans alive and has ZERO redeeming qualities.

11:51 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

I’m not ashamed to say I voted for Johnson last time. Yeah, maybe I threw away my vote, but I couldn’t look myself in the eye in the mirror if I voted for one of the other two. It was kind of like voting for Chance in the movie “Being There” – he was pretty clueless, but I couldn’t see him totally screwing up the country and the world like those other two.

• Realme
      11:52 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

Was that the libertarian? That’s what I did too. Considered it a protest of the system that produced those egregious choices.

• Bleedblueky
      1:20 pm June 28, 2019 Permalink

Just wondering did KSR put on the guest hosts ranking yet? If not, hope they do it ASAP ?

2. RealCatsFan
    10:18 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

In a way, I kind of miss the Indiana series. They are like having a goofy younger brother that you can just beat on whenever you want to. Yeah, we already have that with Louisville, but Indiana is like the one who lives in a trailer park. (Come to think of it, so does Louisville… Twins?)

3. runningunnin.454
    10:19 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

Cal didn’t say no to IU; he said no home and home. IU needs to have a mandatory freshman class teaching manners and sportsmanship. They were ugly last game in Bloomington, and Cal won’t do it again.
    I would rather give Purdue a chance; besides, their program is just better now.

• J-Dub421
      10:27 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

Our players almost got trampled because they didn’t have enough security and their fans were terribly rude and racist to our players’ families. Indiana is mostly irrelevant now, and needs us way more than we need them. I’m glad we don’t play them anymore. We don’t need to let them try to rebuild their reputation on our backs.

4. runningunnin.454
    10:28 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

The ‘P’ word? Please?

• Realme
      10:31 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

The original unwelcome show thread P word is of course “politics”. Then recently we added “Paul”.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:33 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

Paul who? Finebaum?

• runningunnin.454
      10:34 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

Rand? Now I’m getting confused.

• Realme
      10:35 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

Ha ha, no. Paul Isdead. lol

10:35 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

I thought you were talking about felines like the POTUS apparently likes to, ahem, pet.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:40 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

Oh, brain cramp. How could I forget McCartney. Haha.

• runningunnin.454
      10:42 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

Oh, RCF, now I see. Did someone actually say that during the debate?

10:48 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

Not unless the debate was being held on a big tour bus! 🙂

5. Realme
    10:29 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

I’m with Matt, I could care less, but they are stupid to not have accepted Cal’s offer to play in “their” neutral site only.

• Realme
      10:31 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

Reply fail.

6. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:42 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

What is there not to understand about blood borne pathogens? What was Matt’s point in saying that?

• Realme
      10:43 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

Science, like music, not his strong point.

• runningunnin.454
      10:44 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

Oh no, don’t bring up the “M” word; we’ll be listening to Tom T Hall.

10:47 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

Speaking of blood, older daughter has forensics as her study focus while she is at Centre College. It’s pretty cool – she got a tour of the state crime lab on Monday, and I think they are going to do blood spatter analysis next week. I asked her if they are going down to the body farm that is supposed to be under the UT football field, but I don’t think it is on the schedule. 😉

• Realme
      10:54 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

That is way cool. I sometimes wish I had majored in criminology. Is she thinking of that career wise, or just for fun this summer?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:58 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

Ah, Centre College, the team with the huge upset of the mighty Harvard Crimson in 1921.

• runningunnin.454
      11:03 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

And, Centre owns the series with UK…20-13-2.

11:40 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

I think it is more for fun. It was one of the choices that she selected. I’m not sure if she would have the stomach to be a front line investigator of crime scenes. She loves to watch “Forensic Files” with me, and that is a really interesting show, but it has to be hard being in law enforcement and being constantly exposed to humanity at its worst. I think it is really sad that our first responders, particularly police and firefighters, are woefully underpaid for what they have to deal with.

She was also talking about biomedical engineering (big thumbs up from RCF), but she is really kind of undecided right now. I remember being in her shoes – it’s hard to think about what you want to do for the rest of your life when you are a high school junior. Most of them have a hard time deciding what to wear for school. 🙂

11:42 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

rg, Mrs RCF would really like to see our first born go to Centre, and she would probably have a shot at playing volleyball for them, but it’s $52K / year. Yes, she would get a scholly, but it would probably only cover half of that. She could probably go to UK and get full tuition, or WKU and get a full ride, including R&B and books, etc. I would selfishly like to come out of the whole college thingy fiscally unscathed with both Camaros and the boat still in the garage. 😉

• runningunnin.454
      11:48 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

I have a good friend that went to Centre; he was not very smart going in; but very smart coming out…chemical engineer. Good school.

• Realme
      11:49 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

Whatever it is, I’m sure she’ll change her mind. 🙂 I don’t envy anyone trying to figure out how to pay for college now.

11:54 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

The whole college debt thing is scary – particularly the interest rates they charge. That’s like loan shark stuff! If they are going to do anything, maybe suspend the interest on the debt so people can get some traction in paying it back. I have seen stories about people making payments for years and having a bigger debt than they started with due to the damned interest.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:43 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

Speaking of Tom Petty, the whole “Wildflowers” album is excellent. Yes, “Mary Jane’s Last Dance” is probably the most popular song on the album, but “You Wreck Me” is a great song too, and I really like “The Cabin Down Below”. And “Honeybee” has the best guitar riff of any song Petty put out, but it also has some of the creepiest song lyrics I have ever heard.

• J-Dub421
      11:01 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

Tom Petty was an icon and his loss is a tragedy.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:08 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

Absolutely J-Dub. He was awesome. And to think he once got thrown out of a band because he couldn’t sing (at least that’s what I’ve heard…I’ve never researched that).

• 4everUKblue
      11:09 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

“Mary Jane’s Last Dance” is not on the “Wildflowers” album I have, it’s on “Greatest Hits”

• runningunnin.454
      11:15 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

CG, funny you bring up his being thrown out of a band. When the Stones went for their first recording contract, the record producer said, “get rid of the lead singer, and we’ll talk”. Something like that.

• 4everUKblue
      11:16 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers: Runnin’ Down a Dream (2007) directed by Peter Bobdanavich is a great documentary if you can find it and find the time to watch it.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:22 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

That’s hilarious! Maybe he just didn’t like all those rubber-faced contortions. He was Jim Carrey before Jim Carrey.

11:43 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

4ever, right you are! Nice catch!

11:47 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

I have watched multiple interviews of Tom Petty, and he just seemed like the kind of dude who you could walk up next to at a bar and strike up an hour-long conversation.

• 4everUKblue
      11:55 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

RCF, I agree with you, Tom always seemed like a down to earth good guy. I read his biography several years ago and at that time “Wild Flowers” was one he was most proud of.

8. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:13 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

“Fans bring weapons” used to happen in the old ECW out of Philadelphia. They would hand frying pans to wrestlers, maybe other stuff too.

9. runningunnin.454
    11:18 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

Carlos Santana gave up guitar, and is playing baseball?

• J-Dub421
      11:22 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

That would be a horrible decision. Dude is a guitar legend. Carlos can shred.

• runningunnin.454
      11:35 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

No doubt.

11:44 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

Santana is on my bucket list of performers to see while I have the chance. He is going to be touring in Indy and Cinci – need to get some tickets.

• 4everUKblue
      11:56 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

RCF, one thing you will notice is Carlos really has a good time performing and it seems the rest of the band does too. He is a must see.

10. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:28 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

Incidentally, who is that in the GIF above? It looks like either Jeff Bridges or Hacksaw Jim Duggan.

• J-Dub421
      11:38 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

Jeff Bridges in The Big Lebowski.

11:46 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

One of my all-time favorite flicks. Loved John Goodman in that role! I have my “Lebowski 2020” election shirt ready for next year. 🙂

• J-Dub421
      11:56 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

RCF, I like your style dude.

11:59 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

This aggression will not stand, man! 😀

11. ClutchCargo
    11:31 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

I tried to watch the Bullitt County movie on Netflix. I lasted maybe 20 minutes and just couldn’t do it. It was that terrible.

11:45 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

What is it called?

• ClutchCargo
      11:50 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

“Bullitt County”, oddly enough. 😉

12. runningunnin.454
    11:33 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

Oh, lordy, now Buck Owens.

13. RealCatsFan
    11:57 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

The clip Matt played of the dude screaming “YOU TRADED YOUR SOUL FOR A BOWL OF PORRIDGE” sounds like something from Pink Floyd The Wall. 🙂

14. J-Dub421
    11:57 am June 28, 2019 Permalink

Matt has clearly never been to the Opera. They use supertiles above the stage to project the translation of the words now, and have done so for years.

12:02 pm June 28, 2019 Permalink

I have never been, and I would like to go sometime. I would love to see the Louisville Orchestra again – saw them last year at Iroquois Amphitheatre, and it was great.

• J-Dub421
      12:09 pm June 28, 2019 Permalink

I got to sing Beethoven’s 9th with the LO a few months ago. It’s always fun!