KSR Show Thread 6/26: Put that spotlight on Franklin County!

KSR’s Blue Lights Across the Bluegrass (Virtual) Tour of counties continues this morning as Matt Jones, Ryan Lemond and Drew Franklin break down everything you need to know about Franklin County.

For instance, did you know Franklin County was the fifth-smallest state capital in the United States? Or that the county was named in honor of Benjamin Franklin in 1795?

This morning, the KSR crew will discuss all of the county’s history, celebrities, and athletes, along with all of the latest in the world of UK Athletics.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

53 Comments for KSR Show Thread 6/26: Put that spotlight on Franklin County!

1. Realme
    10:07 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

Happy Friday, to those of you with jobs and crap.

• RealCatsFan
      10:08 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

That would be me – sometimes it feels like one and the same. Hope your job situation improves soon.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:28 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I’m at work. The struggle is real.

2. RealCatsFan
    10:10 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

And of course, the weather forecast for next week at the lake is for about an 80% chance of rain every day. Every time I think 2020 can’t suck any worse, it says “hold my beer”.

Hopefully the weather geeks are way off in their predictions.

• Realme
      10:12 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

Hopefully it won’t rain all day long even if it does rain.

• RealCatsFan
      10:24 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

Realme, if it does, I’ll just drink more. Already adding an extra 30-pack to the grocery list. ๐Ÿ˜‰

3. runningunnin.454
    10:14 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

Did you know Ben Franklin owned slaves, and his newspaper, the Pennsylvania Gazette, routinely ran ads for slaves, and also ads offering rewards for runaways?
    Time to change the name; also Jefferson County.

• ClutchCargo
      10:18 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

Enjoy hearing Marlana VanHoose singing the state song while you can. It’s not too far-fetched to think that it could go away for the same reason.

• RealCatsFan
      10:19 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

I fully support eliminating racism, especially in the highest levels of police, the military, and government. But the overreaction to every little slight throughout history has become ridiculous and overwhelming, and threatens to inspire a backlash against the cause. Let’s focus on the issues that are really important. If all the little stuff still bothers people in five years, then maybe address it then.

• Bluehender
      10:20 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

Lots of things are going to have to change rg. Washington DC will have to be changed. The dollar bill will need a new face. And the list goes on and on…sigh..

• Bluehender
      10:20 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

I agree RCF..

• RealCatsFan
      10:22 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, they already changed the lyrics in the first verse because of that. I guess as long as they don’t sing all the verses in their original lyrics. But I see your angle.

• runningunnin.454
      10:27 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

Over at Lil Brother’s fan site, they are claiming that Rupp was a racist, and we should have to change the name of our Arena.
      I could offer an infinite number of arguments to the contrary; but, I’ve posted them many times on KSR.
      Also, B. Franklin came to the conclusion that slavery was an abominable institution, and freed his slaves. He also was President of the Society for Promoting the Abolition of Slavery.

• Bluehender
      10:32 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

Franklin DC, rg?

• Bluehender
      10:34 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

Well I guess the fact that Franklin HAD slaves is a big ol’ strike against him..

• runningunnin.454
      10:38 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

Franklin Arena? Maybe UL should play in the Chicken Ranch, well known brothel in Texas. That would be apropos.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:28 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

Winn-Dixie is thinking about changing their name. The Dixie Chicks need to drop the Chicks. It’s gender specific. It should be the Non-Binary Individuals, or something.

• ClutchCargo
      11:31 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

Who are you to assume their gender, cg? It’s whatever they choose to identify as. ๐Ÿ™‚

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:46 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

RG, is that safe for work? I clicked a video you linked once that was not.

• runningunnin.454
      11:50 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

All at your own risk, Chris ha ha ha.

4. ClutchCargo
    10:19 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

No tailgating? Good luck with that, outside of the stadium lots.

• ClutchCargo
      10:38 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

I’m personally not a big tailgater, but I understand why people do. The good-natured back and forth with visiting fans is an underrated part of it.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:29 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

Matt sounds about as OCD about his cereal as Jerry Seinfeld.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:30 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

The caller touched on something I have always said about fireworks – they are fun to watch as long as SOMEONE ELSE is shooting them off. Otherwise I feel like my money is literally going up in flames. And those big mortar shells can be crazy expensive.

• ClutchCargo
      10:33 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

Every time I walk into one of those fireworks tents (which has dropped way off the past several years) I get sticker shock from that stuff. There are enough people near me who go all out, there is no point in me buying them. I get to keep my money and my fingers.

• Realme
      10:36 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

Same, plenty of neighbors buy the good ones, so…

Friends tell the story of buying mortars but not knowing they were supposed to be launched from a tube or whatever. Just exploded them on the ground in their neighborhood, ba ha ha ha.

• ClutchCargo
      10:40 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

So, they just lit them and rolled them down the street like bowling balls? lol

• RealCatsFan
      10:43 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

As kids, we were probably not the smartest little buggers. We used to stand at opposite ends of the street and shoot bottle rockets at each other. We also used to make tennis ball cannons out of empty pop cans. We were little heathens.

• runningunnin.454
      10:46 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

When I was a kid, I used to pile gravel up on m-80s…shrapnel ha ha; yeah I was a delinquent. They were originally developed by the military to simulate artillery fire.

• Realme
      10:47 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

I guess. They didn’t know what they’d done until telling us the story. Just thought it was wild that their good fireworks they went out of state to buy filled the whole street and front yards of the neighbors houses when they went off instead of shooting into the air. Luckily they didn’t do a lot of damage.

• ClutchCargo
      10:47 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

As a kid, my friends and I may or may not have put on winter coats and had BB gun fights, before paintball was a thing.

• Realme
      10:49 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

lol about your shrapnel, RG. glad you kept your eyes and fingers etc.

• runningunnin.454
      10:55 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

Wait, while I count…yep 3 eyes and 11 fingers, I’m good. And yes, the etc is very important, hee haw.

• Realme
      11:01 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha. Think about that. Somewhere in the world is a guy who shot off his etc with a firework accident.

• runningunnin.454
      11:11 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

Have you heard the story about a woman becoming pregnant after being struck by a bullet that passed through the scrotum of a Civil War soldier.? I can’t confirm that.

• ClutchCargo
      11:16 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

rg, I think the old saying “the simplest answer is usually correct” applies to that story. lol

• RealCatsFan
      11:57 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

Adds a whole new meaning to the term “shooting your load”. ๐Ÿ™‚

• runningunnin.454
      12:27 pm June 26, 2020 Permalink

Oh oh, RCF, you gonna get a whoopin’ for that one.

7. DaaaaCats
    11:00 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

Franklin Co fact since I canโ€™t get through the phone lines:
    Captain Dโ€™s phone number here is BAD-FISH
    Owner wanted to make FISH the last four digits, but didnโ€™t realize the standard -223 prefix at the time spelled BAD

8. runningunnin.454
    11:23 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

Issel, Goose, Macy, and Darius have to be up there.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:29 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

Are they doing the UK Mount Rushmore? I’ve been listening casually but I’ve been busy.

• runningunnin.454
      11:34 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

Most beloved UK players, if put to a fan vote. Still no Darius…sigh.

• RealCatsFan
      11:53 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

Just give it to him at half court and back him down, rg. ๐Ÿ˜€

• runningunnin.454
      11:55 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

Hooo Aaaah!

9. ClutchCargo
    11:26 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

I’m a fan of Patrick Patterson, but a big part of the reason he was such a big deal is the relative lack of recruiting by Tubby.

10. RealCatsFan
    11:31 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

So Willie is having a baby, or his GF is? If the former, he will be making headlines for more than his on the court performance. ๐Ÿ˜‰

11. ClutchCargo
    11:54 am June 26, 2020 Permalink

It’s called virtue signaling, guys, and it’s what people do now.