KSR Show Thread 6/25: Floyd County gets the KSR Spotlight

Prestonsburg and the fine folks from Floyd County will receive the spotlight on today’s edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Matt Jones, Ryan Lemond, Drew Franklin and Shannon the Dude will also be talking about the Kentucky Derby that will feature fans this fall and the latest news and views from around the BBN. Enjoy!

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

72 Comments for KSR Show Thread 6/25: Floyd County gets the KSR Spotlight

1. RealCatsFan
    10:13 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

STD with a new scorecard. I like it.

The bug body count has been the best so far.

• RealCatsFan
      10:16 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

And I have to say that the bug body count in my garage would resemble the battle of Normandy.

• ClutchCargo
      10:19 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

How many moths and crane flies have to die before somebody does something about the window blinds in my garage?

• RealCatsFan
      10:20 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, but the soldier beetles on the ground are being ignored. BLM = Beetle Lives Matter!

• ClutchCargo
      10:23 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

And I’m sure the stink bugs are just laying low and plotting a fall invasion. Those guys are the worst!

• RealCatsFan
      10:30 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

I read on FB that the stink bugs gassed the lady bugs while they were doing a peaceful protest against the soldier beetles. And the praying mantis’ are upset that their rights to pray in public are being threatened because they are carnivores.

• ClutchCargo
      10:33 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

I pity the fool that tries to infringe on the praying mantis’ freedom of worship: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/14/science/praying-mantis-strike.html

• Realme
      10:35 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

Shannon’s score cards are one of my favorite things on the show. When we bought out first house, it had been vacant for a few years. It got infested with camel crickets, so Orkin had to take care of them before we closed. Their dead spider looking corpses were everywhere. Could have snow shoveled them.

• ClutchCargo
      10:40 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

There is no way on earth my wife would have agreed to move into that house, Realme. We know them as cave crickets and she has been terrified of them since childhood. Something about the way they just jump in random directions.

• RealCatsFan
      10:43 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

I have it on good authority that the crickets take offense to being called “camel crickets” due to the ani-middle-eastern and racial overtones. 😉

• RealCatsFan
      10:45 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, a couple years ago we had a praying mantis take up residence in our home for a little while. I was finally able to corral “Sheldon” (as the girls named it) and escort him outside. (I actually have no idea if it was a him or a her.)

• Realme
      10:52 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

Y’all are cracking me up. The crickets weren’t scary dead, but I don’t know how they painted and stuff BEFORE the treatment. One wild jump and I’m gone.

• ClutchCargo
      10:59 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

As my wife tells it, her mom has also been terrified of those cave crickets forever. They had them in my wife’s childhood home, and one actually jumped and ended up down the front of my MIL’s shirt when she walked into the bathroom. Her vertical leap must have been pretty good back then, because she ended up on the bathroom sink freaking out.

• Realme
      11:01 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

My cats were freaking out about something behind the terrarium at that same house once. Somehow we managed to let the hugest praying mantis ever into the living room without noticing. That sucker was bigger than my hand.

So many trees on that lot, and big creek down the hill. Loved the birding, but I don’t miss the spiders. Used to wade in that creek (with shoes on, it was definitely a starter home neighborhood), until a full size snake swam past me and I walked right next to what sure looked like a snapping turtle on the same day.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:06 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

My wife is such a bugaphobe. She REALLY hates roaches (as do I), but she can’t even say the word and doesn’t want us to say it or she’ll have nightmares because she’s so suggestable. In AL you can clean and treat all you want but you will still have an occasional one. On the rare occasion she see’s one it’s “CG, come here!!!” Me: “What is it?” Her: “It’s a ‘mmm, hmmm!'”

• Realme
      11:17 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

I feel the same about Roaches, Spiders, Centipedes. Evil.

• RealCatsFan
      11:17 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

cg, just do what they do in Flori-duh – call them “palmetto bugs”. They have those big wood roaches that can fly down there. We were at an outside deck bar in Destin one night, and when I grabbed the pepper shaker one of those huge suckers took flight and landed right in the middle of a group of six or seven girls at the next table. Pure bedlam! They scattered like, well, roaches. 😀

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:45 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

That is funny! Although my wife would have ran out screaming even if it was across the restaurant.

Yeah, we have those here. One place I lived, I opened the bedroom door (I was shirtless) and one had been up above and it floated down my back. *SHUDDERS!*

2. RealCatsFan
    10:15 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

So the Mrs got Matt’s book. I have been reading it, and he has some interesting things about some of the many counties in our commonwealth. One complaint: each chapter is devoted to one county – he should have a map of the state at the opening of each chapter showing where that county is located. It’s hard to keep them all straight.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:24 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

Just print the maps from the ST every day!

3. Laker Cat 18
    10:17 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

So McConnell and Beshear worked together in bipartisan politics to settle an agreement that would give a few hospitals in Kentucky million dollar grants for improvement. I think that’s a win and it is something you will never see Matt acknowledge as a good thing…or he would find a way to give credit to Beshear and not Mitch.

• ClutchCargo
      10:22 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

I agree that working together like that is a good thing. But it’s sad that simply doing their damned jobs stands out as being a big deal.

• RealCatsFan
      10:22 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

He has actually given Mitch credit for a few things in his book, but most of the time he does some contortions to lay blame on Mitch. That being said, he doesn’t need to convince me that Mitch needs to go. He is the poster boy for term limits and campaign finance reform, but that’s all I’m going to say about it. Switching back to bugs. 😉

• runningunnin.454
      10:59 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

OKAY, since the subject is bugs; Matt BUGS me some days. And, one day, I heard Ryan say, “If anyone is offended by anything you do, you should apologize”. PLEEEZE.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:09 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

^^^This^^^

• Laker Cat 18
      11:22 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

Lake Cumberland Regional Hospital in Somerset has been garbage for years. I know people who would rather make the drive to another further hospital in an event of an emergency than going to the local hospital because of the fear of never making it out alive. This financial help for LCRH in our area is huge news.

4. Realme
    10:25 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

LC, what show was I supposed to watch when I got my next Amazon Prime free trial?

• Laker Cat 18
      11:12 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

Hellier. Paranormal activity based in Kentucky.

• Realme
      11:15 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

That’s it! Thanks.

• ClutchCargo
      11:16 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

I recommended Hellier to someone before I even watched it myself. Still on my to-watch list after I get through Justified.

• ClutchCargo
      11:25 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

Pretty cool, RCF. I just added that to my watchlist.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:54 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

RCF, that looks interesting. Is it free with Prime?

5. ClutchCargo
    10:27 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

Dwight Yoakam was born in Pike or Floyd Co, but moved up highway 23 to Columbus OH as a baby.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:28 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

I love “Fast as You” by Dwight Yoakam. We used to listen to “Just Lookin’ For a Hit” on the boat while running all over Lake Cumberland. Great memories!

7. ClutchCargo
    10:43 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

Good on that lawyer for outlawing strip mining under people’s property. lol

• RealCatsFan
      10:47 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

If it’s under their property, wouldn’t it be conventional mining?

But I do agree that strip mining and mountain top removal are an abomination against the environment.

• ClutchCargo
      10:51 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, that was the part that I found funny. Strip mining UNDER people’s property.

• friendsofcoal
      10:42 pm June 25, 2020 Permalink

Strip mining goes on everyday in KY and there isn’t a damn thing wrong with it. Have you ever been on a reclaimed strip job? It’s some of the nicest property that you will ever set foot on!

• friendsofcoal
      10:43 pm June 25, 2020 Permalink

It’s very aggravating when people show an active strip job and talk about how bad it is then they never show the job after it’s completed. SMH

• friendsofcoal
      10:45 pm June 25, 2020 Permalink

And since we’re talking about Floyd Co, take a second and look at the Stone Crest Golf Course on Google Earth. That’s an old strip job but it’s a disgrace I guess??? LMAO

8. runningunnin.454
    10:46 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

I think it’s halfway to Christmas…are we going to cancel that, too?

• RealCatsFan
      10:48 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

Hoping that we have a vaccine by then, but then of course about half the population will refuse to take it.

• runningunnin.454
      10:54 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

I see there’s a $250 fine for not wearing a mask in public in Phoenix and several other cities. Not feeling good about football and basketball seasons.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:02 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

Santa will have to wear a mask…except when outside, even if he’s rampaging and pillaging the neighborhood.

I have no problem wearing a mask (my wife being nurse will kill me if I don’t anyway…haha), but I certainly hope we don’t see stricter enforcement of this than we had with the rioting.

• Realme
      11:02 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

I’m not either.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:08 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

Same RG & RM. Every time we heard good news, people are shouting the bad news from the mountaintops. “23 cases at Clemson! The horror!” “30 cases at LSU! Oh the humanity!”

• ClutchCargo
      11:11 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

With all the increased testing, I think I would be more concerned if there WASN’T more positive tests at this point. As someone with the PGA Tour said the other day, we have to learn to live with this virus, because it isn’t going anywhere for awhile.

• Realme
      11:19 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

The only reason things have opened back up as much as they have is because they realized we have to learn to live with this. It’s not like they waited for good numbers. I’m just hoping to go back to work before to much more bad news happens.

• RealCatsFan
      11:30 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

I’m just hoping that the recent spikes in cases will make people take a few precautions to slow it down again. People going into enclosed public places with no masks or distancing whatsoever are PART OF THE PROBLEM. Hellloooo…. I’m all for opening things up, but if we just use some common sense maybe we can find a way to keep things open. Right now it’s not looking good for sports of any kind, and that bums me out – selfish reason is that I won’t get to watch my younger kid play her sport anymore. 🙁

9. RealCatsFan
    10:52 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

Oh man, it’s the “Who steals soap?” guy! He and Helmet Guy are two of my favorites. 🙂

10. RealCatsFan
    11:12 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

Since we are on the subject of masks – I sell masks used for the treatment of sleep apnea. So Google, in their infinite wisdom, decided to block ALL ads with the word “mask” in it. This has effectively harpooned our business. Have tried a number of things to no avail. It just blows me away that a company with the resources of Google is so ham fisted and stupid about something like this. There are medical masks that have nothing to do with COVID.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:15 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

There are scammers out there supposedly selling PPE, so they’re probably trying to block them, and unfortunately honest businesses like yours are caught in the same net, and that’s hurting the customers too, not just you guys.

11. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:14 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

What Matt’s talking about now applies maybe even more to football. Example: when Bama is about to play UK (heh) for the SEC championship, and our All-American QB Terry Wilson tests positive, but maybe he’s not even symptomatic. Or it’s the entire starting O line. Then what? Will some coaches out there try to cover up such?

12. ClutchCargo
    11:19 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

This dude is like the Cookie Monster of KSR callers.

13. Laker Cat 18
    11:23 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

We’ve talked shows on here a lot. New topic. Are any of you podcast listeners? I’m a true crime guy.

• Realme
      11:29 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

Normally I am, but not being at work I listen way less. Still trying to keep up with, but behind on My Favorite Murder, Murder Squad and The First Degree.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:52 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

I’m the same way. I used to travel a lot more for my job, but it’s calmed down now. My favorite is Sword & Scale. I’m listening to Missing in Alaska now.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:53 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

Laker Cat, a while back I saw a blurb/add for a true crime parody podcast. I’m not into podcasts much (usually only if I missed a certain talk show and I want to catch it later) but I linked it here once upon a time since some are.

Realme, did you listen to it? If so, can you link it for LC (if it actually was funny)?

14. ClutchCargo
    11:26 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

So, Matt hates knowing he is going to find something out, but he’s not being told yet. Sound familiar? lol

• Realme
      11:30 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

Did he say that? Seriously?

• ClutchCargo
      11:31 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

Yes he did.

15. Realme
    11:26 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

His platform is probably way too progressive for me, but Booker has been so genuine and inspirational on Twitter. I hope he destroys you know who and then the other you know who.

• RealCatsFan
      11:34 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

I find him to be very likable, but I don’t think he would stand much of a chance against The Turtle out in the rural areas of the state. I think McGrath really hurt herself with her explanation of why she wasn’t at any of the protests. She made it sound like she couldn’t find a babysitter or something – sounded pretty lame. I am sure the black community took notice.

• Realme
      11:39 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

She wouldn’t either though. Like Mitch, her own party dislikes her. Booker would be fine if he could keep his current momentum, but I don’t think that’s possible.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:50 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t know any of that about her and the protests. However, with all the violence that broke out everywhere, I wouldn’t be out there either. Plus, few want to point out that BLM (again, the GROUP, not everyone who uses the phrase) is a Marxist group. I wish people would wake up to that. They are not an equal rights group. Far from it.

16. Realme
    11:43 am June 25, 2020 Permalink

Just saw the picture of Matt’s desk. He needs a scented candle intervention.

17. DenverCatFan
    4:02 pm June 25, 2020 Permalink

Floyd Countian in the house! Well, ex-Floyd Countian (Banner) living in Denver now.