KSR Show Thread 6/23: Put that spotlight on Fayette County!

KSR’s Blue Lights Across the Bluegrass (Virtual) Tour of counties continues this morning as Matt Jones, Ryan Lemond and Drew Franklin break down Fayette County.

Outside the virtual tour, the KSR crew is set to discuss the following topics:

• UK basketball returns
  • Odd comments on UK football’s return
  • Beshear opens door to fans at games
  • Baseball may be back. Will you be watching?

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

61 Comments for KSR Show Thread 6/23: Put that spotlight on Fayette County!

1. runningunnin.454
    10:09 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

There’s not going to be any politics on ksr today…is there?

• Realme
      10:11 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

Nah, they stick to sports.

10:57 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

As soon as I tuned in I heard the McGrath then Booker (with MJ’s endorsement) commercials back to back.

• Realme
      11:20 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

Is it just me, or is McGrath baby talking in that one commercial?

• RealCatsFan
      11:30 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

I think McGrath really hurt herself, not only for not appearing at any of the protests, but with her answer during the interview. Of course, I probably need to listen to the whole context of the interview to get the straight scoop, since that is part of Booker’s ad.

Sadly, I don’t think either one of them have much of a chance of beating the Turtle, especially out in the state.

2. RealCatsFan
    10:12 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

I’m still shaking my head at some of the comments on the thread about the other teams pushing Bubba’s car to the starting line. Some were saying he pulled a Jusse Smollete. If that is the case, I will eat my words, but I would expect the people insinuating that that is the case to do the same.

• Realme
      10:18 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

Do you ever start reading comments on a political or social issue article and then just wonder why in the world you did that to yourself? My fave is when someone makes a really stupid point, but you can tell they really think they just dropped the mike.

• ClutchCargo
      10:27 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

I can usually spot a bunch of stupid comments by the sheer number of comments on a post, and just avoid that. Glad I didn’t even go there.

10:51 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

I never assume that is the case, but it happens, more than most think.

10:51 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

10:51 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

• RealCatsFan
      11:15 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

cg, valid point – there are people with an agenda who will fake something like that to further a political agenda. It’s sad that so many people completely ignore the eighth commandment. But through history there have been way more racist incidents that were real versus ones that were faked. At this point, to insinuate that the noose in the garage was staged seems very jaded, but I guess it’s not terribly surprising considering the current political climate. We have the loudest voices at the extreme ends of the political spectrum right now, and it’s tearing our nation apart.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:13 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

The pictures of Nick and Leah taking pictures of the last time they wear their UK jerseys made me really sad. 🙁

• Realme
      10:16 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

Same.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:21 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

Reminds me of the Sam Elliott commercial where he does something similar with his moustache. 🙂

• ClutchCargo
      10:29 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

It took me a couple of times seeing it to realize it’s slowed way down when he does that ear thing. Pretty cool, though.

• runningunnin.454
      10:38 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

I’ve seen several wildcats; never one that looked like that. Don’t think it’s native to Kentucky…or the U.S.

11:01 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

It says it’s a caracal kitten. I google imaged that because I’ve never heard of that one. The ears look similar to a lynx but longer I think, including that tuft of hair on top.

11:03 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

From Wikipedia:

“The caracal /?kær?kæl/ (Caracal caracal) is a medium-sized wild cat native to Africa, the Middle East, Central Asia, and India. It is characterised by a robust build, long legs, a short face, long tufted ears, and long canine teeth. Its coat is uniformly reddish tan or sandy, while the ventral parts are lighter with small reddish markings.”

5. JTHinton
    10:33 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

Louisville City, here we go!

Half capacity in July!

• RealCatsFan
      10:40 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

Gives me major hope that we might be able to have fans at sports again.

Wish we could move high school volleyball outside. Not looking good for my daughter’s junior year.

• ClutchCargo
      10:46 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

I still don’t see how we’re going to pull this off with football. And if the focus is open air seating, then making sure the Woodford Reserve Club members get taken care of might not look like what us “poor” fans think it will.

• runningunnin.454
      10:47 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

Why couldn’t they do that? There’s beach volleyball. Played in Florida on spring break…really, really hard to jump in sand.

10:49 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

I’m getting less confident every day the longer this drags on. The grim reaper Dr. “Always a ray of sunshine” Fauci doesn’t help.

The mayor of Tuscaloosa said T-town will lose I think like 173 million if there is no football.

10:59 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

Yes, they just need to pour sand somewhere and play it outside. Of course I’m sure some schools may not have a space to do that without interfering with another sport.

• RealCatsFan
      11:03 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

Wish it was that easy. You have to set up a net, ref stand, etc. The sand game is traditionally doubles, but I guess there would be no reason that they couldn’t run it as sixes like they do indoor. It would be interesting, to say the least. If they don’t have a school season we have not ruled up trying to sign her up to play for one of the sand clubs.

11:07 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

What about playing on grass? Tennis does it, but of course those courts are SO babied, especially at Wimbledon.

• RealCatsFan
      11:17 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

It would be akin to moving the basketball games to the parking lot. It’s feasible, but unlikely that many schools could pull it off. And then weather becomes a factor. Perhaps it will take some thinking outside the box to pull it off, but I highly doubt it would happen.

6. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:47 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

Just tuning in. Have they named all the famous people from Fayette County? Did they mention me yet?

• ClutchCargo
      10:50 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

They said chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door is not walking through that door.

10:52 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

^^^Haha^^^ That is clever.

10:53 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

So who is #1? Henry Clay or The Judds? I think the country singer, John Conley?, is from Versailles, but isn’t that Jessamine County? Forgive my lack of memory of my Kentucky geography.

7. Daypoblue
    10:53 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

What happened to the Spotlight on Daviess County. I didn’t see it & cant find it anywhere…..

8. ClutchCargo
    10:59 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

The Reds haven’t had a decent chance to win for quite a while now. The reason they won’t this year is they are built for the long grind of a full season, not necessarily for a sprint. They have a potentially excellent starting rotation, but the bullpen is going to be the key, and that is something less than excellent.

11:05 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

Big Red Machine! Those glory days of the 70s were awesome, and so was watching my Oakland As fan friend’s head drop the day after the 90 Reds kicked their tails six ways from Sunday (or whatever that expression is).

• ClutchCargo
      11:08 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

1990 was my favorite, since I was old enough to pay attention and know what I was watching. I was sitting in the stands with about 300 of my closest friends at LSU with one of those little portable TVs watching game 4 during a LSU/UK football game.

11:21 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

There was a UK football game that night? I thought game 4 was like a Tuesday night. I’m pretty sure I remember going to work the next day, but maybe I’m wrong.

• RealCatsFan
      11:22 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

Some of the kids in the neighborhood and I were huge Reds fans back in the 70’s when they won back to back world series. I remember that we were also Miami Dolphins fans back in the day. Larry Csonka, Mercury Morris, et.al. – heroes.

11:26 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

Jim Kiick just passed away the other day.

9. Realme
    11:01 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

Well today would have been Matt’s big day. Would the show still be alive if he ran? Would he have been returning tomorrow after losing?

11:06 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

A lot of people in the comments on various articles here have said you all won’t know until Friday or something because of all the mail in ballots. I dunno though.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:09 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

Yes and no.

10. Realme
    11:10 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

No way 50 miles on a treadmill would be mental torture.

• ClutchCargo
      11:15 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

I hate it when I’m typing a comment and forget to refresh first. I totally agree. I have to have the change of scenery and the sense of getting somewhere.

• RealCatsFan
      11:24 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

I feel like a hamster in a habitrail when I run on a treadmill. I always crank the speed up to try to get it over with, and then I wear myself out. But I guess that’s the idea… 🙂

11. ClutchCargo
    11:12 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

Walking that 50 miles on a treadmill might be physically easier, but I think I would lose my mind from boredom from doing that.

• ClutchCargo
      11:17 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

Get somebody with a drone and there’s your video stream.

12. runningunnin.454
    11:21 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

Here goes Shannon on Route 66 at the Twin Arrows landmark in Arizona…have a nice day.

• RealCatsFan
      11:26 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

Was that Sam Walton holding the shirt? 😉

11:28 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

RG, did you watch that video on Pop’s Diner that I linked? Are you going to stop there on your trip? I need to live vicariously through someone who actually has the $$$ to travel.

• runningunnin.454
      11:31 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

Yep. I’m not expecting to spend that much…some people fly to Paris and Rome; that’s EXpensive

13. Realme
    11:40 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

Ramseys
    Rancho Tapatio
    Asian Wind
    Sahara
    Brick Oven Pizzeria

Fixed that for Drew.

14. ClutchCargo
    11:56 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

Drafting doesn’t “pull” your car along, it just reduces the drag.

I remember being out around Morehead one late winter day when we had had unusually warm weather several years ago. This massive cold front came swooshing through with 60 mph wind. I know that because on I-64 I slowed down to about 60 with the wind behind me, stuck my hand out the sun roof and there was no wind at all. Weird, wild stuff.

• RealCatsFan
      11:58 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

Yep, and you can use it to build some momentum and “slingshot” around the car in front of you.

15. RealCatsFan
    11:57 am June 23, 2020 Permalink

Shannon needs to remember the band aids on the nipples for his marathon walk. I remember running half marathons, and the last couple miles would be miserable if you got chafed raw.

16. StoneColdSaidSo
    12:53 pm June 23, 2020 Permalink

Ryan, you’re bald. Accept it. Quit drawing hair on your cartoon and just own it like the man you’re not.