KSR Show Thread, 6/22: Who up Estill County

Kentucky Sports Radio radio is taking you to Estill County this morning as KSR’s County Spotlight continues.

Matt Jones, Ryan Lemond and Shannon The Dude will also bring you all the news from the weekend and more, so tune in or give ’em a call by calling (502) 571-1080 or send a text to the KSR Texting Machine at (772) 774-5254.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

57 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 6/22: Who up Estill County

1. runningunnin.454
    9:59 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

Looks like the NBA will lure another one of our players, before he ever suits up for us…bummer.
    So long, Olivier, we hardly knew ye.

10:04 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

I hope that’s not the case, but it sure isn’t looking good. I hate feeling disappointed that the NBA did the right thing.

10:11 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

Well that sucks! So my Monday sucks already. 🙁

• runningunnin.454
      10:14 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

Yeah; but I guess I’m getting tired of money ruling all. Maybe I’m a dreamer, but “the dreams I’ve seen lately keep on turnin out, and burnin out, and turnin out the same”.
      Maybe forget the 5 star, super star, AAU street ball, and get some kids that want to play college ball, and “take it to the limit”.
      Hah, some Eagles for you early this morning.

10:19 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

My favorite Eagles song:

“Cruising down the center of a two way street
      Wondering who is really in the driver’s seat
      Minding my business along comes big brother
      Says, son, you better get on one side or the other”

The lyrics are oh so pertinent to the current times…

• Realme
      10:20 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

Sigh.

10:21 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

And I agree that I am sick of money ruling college athletics. Actually, I am sick of money ruling the world (for many), but that’s not going to change, is it? Wow, now I’m really in a good mood!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:21 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

Money, it’s a gas
      Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
      New car, caviar, four star daydream
      Think I’ll buy me a football team

10:22 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

BTW, is this just speculation or did the guys say something about it at the beginning? I turned the show on a few minutes late.

• runningunnin.454
      10:25 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

Oho, Eagles and Pink Floyd; I’m starting to smile.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:32 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

I’m actually not huge on Floyd (“O-ver-RA-ted!” *clap clap, clap clap clap*). I do like a couple songs a lot, but maybe I would like more if I had ever heard all of “Dark Side of the Moon”. It’s funny, and cool, to see teens and college students wearing t-shirts with old school album covers like that on them. It shows SOME of them like something besides Harry Styles and Lady GagGag.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:38 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

Does the whole “once a cat, always a cat” apply here?

10:40 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

Dark Side of the Moon was an epic album, but some of my favorite Floyd songs are from the album “Animals”.

10:41 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think so, LC. Pretty sure he would at least need to be on the roster after BBM.

10:43 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

“Dark Side of the Moon” was my go-to background music when I really needed to focus on studying in college. I have no idea why it worked for me, but it did.

2. runningunnin.454
    10:21 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

So far, they’re not cheering me up…so what good are they? Only funny thing is Matt’s book playing second fiddle to Shannon’s walk.

10:24 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

Sounds like Matt’s book is about to be upstaged by Bolton’s book.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:23 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

On another note, I am really disappointed at the low turnout at the Trump rally in Tulsa. I was hoping that it would serve as the perfect petri dish experiment to see how a crowded arena would really impact the spread of COVID19. And yeah, I realize we had crowds of people in the streets protesting, but that was outside.

10:27 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

If it wasn’t so contagious, I would be right there with you. The rally attendees would go home and spread it to people who didn’t choose to go to the rally.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:28 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

So were the “Open up the economy” 100% peaceful protests in Michigan, etc.

4. ClutchCargo
    10:30 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

I think having the football season shut down after it had started might be worse (to me as a fan) than not having it start at all.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:35 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

I agree. I don’t want another one like when March Madness got yanked. Play or don’t play.

10:45 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

But then just canceling it from the beginning and then it turns out maybe it wasn’t necessary might be worst of all. Just wake me up when it’s 2021.

5. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:34 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

Matt is always a ray of sunshine.

10:38 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

Here’s the part that starts bugging me about the overabundance of caution. There’s always a “yeah, BUT” that goes along with any promising news about the virus. Now we’re wringing our hands about long-term effects that people are imagining might happen.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:40 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

And Dr. Fauci is REEEEEEEALLY a ray of sunshine every day.

• Realme
      10:40 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

This whole thread is a ray of sunshine. Booo to covid and all its’ effects.

10:48 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

See my avitar…

6. RealCatsFan
    10:37 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

I’m not necessarily scared of dying or even ending up in the hospital from catching COVID. But I just plain don’t want to feel like crap for a week if it is like the flu. I just don’t have time to be sick right now. So yeah, if it can cut down on my chances of catching it, then wear your damned mask and keep your germs to yourself.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:38 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

Is Marquis Estill from Estill County? One of my favorite former Cats. Yet another team that should have won a ‘ship.

10:39 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

I think he is from Richmond.

8. runningunnin.454
    10:47 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

Stanton was in Godfather II, Cool Hand Luke, The Green Mile, and many other good movies, and also this,

9. ClutchCargo
    10:49 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

Bird Talk. My wife and I thought we had spotted a new bird at the feeder the other day. There’s a blue jay that hangs around that seems like he is wearing some kind of alternate uniform colors. The blue is very muted, more gray than anything. It wasn’t a gray jay, totally different markings and not the right colors.

• Realme
      11:00 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

Maybe leucistic (missing pigment). Did you know blue jays aren’t really blue? It’s all a trick of the light. Their feathers are grey.

• Realme
      11:01 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

I got a new life bird this weekend. Friendly orchard oriole.

11:08 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

That must have been it, Realme. Also, I didn’t know that about the blue feathers. *Mind blown*

11:29 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

With my wife semi-laid up following her surgery last week, I have been the only one driving. When it came time to go buy some bird seed, I screwed up and bought the “classic blend”, which contains millet, cracked corn, and all the other stuff that attracts birds you don’t want. It still works in the tube style feeder, and woodpeckers seem to like it. The grackles and blackbirds can’t eat from that one.

11:33 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

Hmmm, I have seen blue jay feathers up close, and they sure looked blue to me.

11:34 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

Realme, is that the same thing that produces the yellow cardinals? (Or was that Anthony Davis?) 🙂

• Realme
      11:48 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

Something about light scattering and prisms science gibberish about the blue birds. Yellow cardinal leucistic? I’d guess so?

10. runningunnin.454
    11:01 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

Well, well, is there anything else we can pile on,

11:13 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

Haha! We are all Joe Pesci right now.

11. runningunnin.454
    11:12 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

One of Sarr’s arguments is still valid, “I want to pick my coach, not have one picked for me”.
    But, I think he will declare for the draft.

11:15 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

Even that argument was based on him being more or less stuck staying in school at that time.

11:29 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

So they let JUzang transfer because he was homesick. Couldn’t Sarr say that he was homesick too and felt more “at home” at UK? 🙂

• runningunnin.454
      11:29 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

Hey, I’m trying to grasp some straws, here.

12. RealCatsFan
    11:28 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

HaHa, I’m laughing about the dognapping of “Smokey” from UT. And yeah, they are right that the PETA loons would be out in force if that happened today.

13. RealCatsFan
    11:31 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

Welp, boat is officially ready for action, but now I have to get the damned trailer ready for the road trip. I absolutely HATE packing wheel bearings. Nasty, greasy job. Guess I have been a true grease monkey the past couple days.

11:38 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

Do you have Bearing Buddies on that trailer?

11:52 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

I do, but you still have to tear it all apart and inspect and regrease every couple years. Seals go bad, and you still get water in there. Nothing worse than having a bearing weld itself to the spindle when you are 300 miles from home in the middle of nowhere and it is 90* outside.

A buddy of mine has switched to a sealed oil bath arrangement that is pressurized with air. Might have to look at that.

11:56 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

Welp, guess it’s probably time to do my utility trailer, then. Or I could just bring it by your place while you’re already up to your elbows in grease. 🙂

• PAPA
      12:57 pm June 22, 2020 Permalink

RCF, did you make it down to DHL this past weekend? We rode over and had dinner at Sulpher Creek ( Mikes Landing) Friday evening. It was very good as usual.

2:27 pm June 22, 2020 Permalink

PAPA, we will be down there next week.

14. RealCatsFan
    11:34 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

The alternative band Cake does a version of “Sad Songs and Waltzes”.

15. CatManDo
    11:44 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

Putting that noose in his locker is horrible and the person responsible should obviously be fired immediately.
    But to say that person should be arrested is a stretch to me. Being a dumb-a** isn’t a crime unless you actually harm someone.

11:50 am June 22, 2020 Permalink

I disagree – it is at a minimum harrassment and may actually go into terroristic threatening. This is way more than just an “expression of speech”. And the people insinuating that he hung it himself are ridiculous.