KSR Show Thread 6/2: Matt Jones returns

As protests continue in Kentucky, along with the rest of the nation, Matt Jones is returning to the KSR airwaves to discuss the latest with some very special guests.

UK assistant coach Vince Marrow will join to start the show, followed by Kentucky State Rep. Charles Booker at 10:30, Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron at 11:00, and columnist Ricky Jones at 11:30.

Join in by calling (502) 571-1080 or send a text to the KSR Texting Machine at (772) 774-5254.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

70 Comments for KSR Show Thread 6/2: Matt Jones returns

1. Realme
    10:09 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

Morning. Good for Matt for wanting to do a serious show for serious times, and for wanting to hopefully let his guests talk more than he does.

10:11 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

Agree, but there are probably going to be a lot of people yelling “Stick to Sports”.

• runningunnin.454
      10:16 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

What are sports?

10:37 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

Sports: something to be canceled. Formerly, a type of entertainment that was a significant part of our lives.

2. ClutchCargo
    10:10 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

Big Dawg in the house! This day instantly got a little better.

10:11 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

Listened to him on the way in. Just hearing his voice makes me smile.

• Realme
      10:12 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

My guy!

10:23 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

Listening to him talk just makes my heart smile. Every young man needs a male role model like that. I know he gets all the glory for his recruiting, but his ability to mentor those guys once they’re here is way underrated.

10:35 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

I think Kenny Payne fills a similar role on the basketball team.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:11 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

Again, I didn’t listen, but LOVE Vince Marrow!

3. runningunnin.454
    10:11 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

Uh, is there a difference between a vacation and a furlough?

10:12 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

Usually a vacation is something that you choose to do.

• runningunnin.454
      10:13 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

Got that; so, what am I missing?

• Realme
      10:15 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

IDK what you call what I’m on (off but paid since mid March), but a vacation is limited in time and my husband is also off. One is the best thing ever, and the other makes me feel purposeless and depressed.

10:26 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

Realme, I know what you mean. I got laid off once, and I was unemployed for a couple of months. We were fine financially, but the feeling of purposelessness (I think I just made up a new word!) was the absolute worst.

10:27 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

Upon further review… purposelessness is already a word. There is no foul on the reply.

10:29 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, you are obviously not dealing with SEC ref’s.

Remember when the most pressing issue of the day was talking about the lousy calls from the previous night’s game? Wow, do I miss those days!

• Realme
      10:32 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

Man could I get fired up about a referee. Hopefully I will again soon.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:22 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

I will be the first to admit that I will never know what it is like to have to worry about being accosted by the police simply because I am black and that I “fit the description”. But in my 20’s I got a little taste when I was pulled over by an overzealous neighborhood cop after leaving a party (I didn’t drink that night) for suspicion of DUI. He read me the riot act, gave me every field sobriety test he could come up with, had his deputy show up as a show of force, even had a tow truck pull up to threaten to have my car impounded. It was a total effort to intimidate a “dumb kid” and a power trip by the officer. After about 45 minutes, he finally let me go on my way. It doesn’t come close to what black folks have to deal with, but it did open my eyes going forward that citizens can be at the mercy of the integrity of law enforcement. Now I truly think that 99% of police are good people and doing their job for the right reason, but we have to realize that most black folks are living a completely different reality than we are, and that is not right. We have come a long way since the days of outright segregation, but there is a still a long way to go.

• Realme
      10:25 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

Good cops need to step up and join the fight against the bad ones.

10:30 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

We need that, but we also just need to have white people and black people (and other cultures) actually talking to each other and treating each other with respect.

10:30 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

Call me naive, but I feel like this sh*tstorm we’re going through right now will make the “good cops” feel more empowered to speak up. Or maybe not, but we can hope.

10:34 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

I have some very good friends who are black, and I can tell that they are in a state of worry and anguish about all of this. I also have friends who are in law enforcement or have family in law enforcement, and they are hurting too, worrying about their loved ones becoming a target. I love both groups, and all of this just makes me sad.

I don’t know what the answers are, but here in Louisville I think a great start would be an African-American police chief, and maybe even an AA mayor. I really like David James, and I think he would be excellent in either role. Wish he would run for one of them.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:46 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

RCF, I’m not listening today because I’m riot coveraged out. But I have to ask, and there may be one, but can you show me one major city where race relations got better because a black mayor was elected?

I will give major kudos to the Atlanta mayor for what she said the other day. I heard it on the radio and you could tell she was very passionate.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:55 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

Once again I say there is only one answer, and it is this:

Galatians 3:25-29.
      25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian, 26 for in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith. 27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s offspring, heirs according to promise.

10:57 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

cg, honestly I can’t off the top of my head, but I don’t have an hour to do exhaustive research. However, I also can’t name a white mayor who has improved race relations off the top of my head either.

I think having a black person in a position of leadership for the police force may have a more direct effect on race relations. Probably need more black officers on the beat in minority areas of town as well, perhaps partnering up with white officers.

11:02 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

I think at this point, a competent police chief would be a major improvement. By all accounts, Conrad is a great person, but he was clearly a terrible police chief. And Head Cheerleader Fischer deserves a lot of the blame for refusing to do anything about it until he absolutely had no choice (and conveniently about a month before Conrad’s retirement).

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:09 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

That is a fair point RCF, but I point you to the mayor of Baltimore who a few years ago had no intention of controlling the rioters and told police to stand down because “It’s only property”. I’d like to know how she would feel if she owned a business that was destroyed and the insurance wouldn’t pay. Even if insurance does pay, you’re still messing with people’s livelihoods and hurting local & national economies (which is Antifa’s goal).

Along that line, I realize a lot of (and maybe the vast majority of) this is Antifa and other fascist groups that use any opportunity they can to destroy our society. You can look their goals up on the web. I have no problem with folks marching with picket signs or whatever. Anything I say has nothing to do with peaceful protestors. I’ve seen multiple videos where peaceful protestors have tried to stop Antifa types from throwing rocks, and in DC they even turned one over to the police. Good for them.

11:19 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

cg, I agree that more should have been done to stop the looting and destruction of property. A lot of the people affected are minority business owners themselves, and insurance usually doesn’t cover damage from riots. But the inflammatory rhetoric tossed out by our president doesn’t help anything. Saying “if you start looting, we start shooting” is only going to split people apart. Yes, people who do that should be arrested, but you can’t just shoot them unless they are endangering the life of someone else. We don’t need words like that right now, we need words to heal, while still being firm that destruction and violence won’t be tolerated. We need a real leader – we don’t have it right now.

We are also in agreement that the outside groups that are driving most of the violence need to be dealt with. These fringe groups are becoming a danger to our society. Antifa is one of them, and the Boogalou Bois apparently are also behind some of it.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:22 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

RIP Wes Unseld. Another great one gone… 🙁

6. runningunnin.454
    10:24 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

What’s this about Lynn Bowden? Boy, the sun is shining; but, I’m really in the dark this morning.

• Realme
      10:28 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

Some idiot called him racist for tweeting a picture of a protestor sign that wasn’t racist, and Drake, Vince etc., straightened that out.

• Realme
      10:30 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

I have seen a couple players spell America with K K K in it, and that wasn’t my favorite. And Wenyen was going back and forth with some fans in a weird way, mostly miscommunication. Otherwise I have been quite proud of what our guys have had to say.

10:37 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

People are mad and emotional – you are going to see a lot of opinions expressed, and some will regret what they say after they have some time to think about it.

7. runningunnin.454
    10:36 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

• Bluehender
      10:40 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

It’s a great song and still relevant these days. Especially these days..

• Bluehender
      10:41 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

I believe that’s Graham Nash out front

10:42 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

Great tune, and very relevant, although they were protesting a different cause.

I was listening to my 70’s rock playlist, and an old REO Speedwagon song came on from when they were actually a rock band. Great tune – Gary Richrath absolutely slays it on his guitar solo, but what stood out to me is how pertinent the lyrics are today.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:47 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

A 60s rock band dressing like Porter Wagoner or the Sons of the Pioneers. lol

• runningunnin.454
      10:49 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

People think the song was about Vietnam; but, Stephen Stills wrote it about the Sunset Strip curfew riots in the mid ’60’s. Kids were detained outside Whiskey A Go Go and Pandora’s Box. Jack Nicholson was there, and Peter Fonda was led away in ‘cuffs.

11:01 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

I have often wondered how many of the grumpy old dudes we see today started out as hippies back in the 60’s… 🙂

• Bluehender
      11:04 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

Gary Richrath was a bad man..I saw them at the Owensboro Sportcenter in the 70s. I still remember him stepping into the spotlight to play the solo on Take It On The Run. Awesome…hadn’t heard Golden Country in a long time.

• runningunnin.454
      11:04 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

RCF, that’s what a Gibson Les Paul guitar is for…also the reason I don’t have one, ha ha. I’ll stick to the Martin acoustic.

8. Laker Cat 18
    10:43 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

This dude won’t answer any question directly. Typical.

10:51 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

I would still take him over Mitch any day of the week, and thrice on Sundays.

• Realme
      10:53 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

If Amy was serious about getting rid of Mitch, she would step aside for this guy.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:56 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

I like the guy, but he won’t answer a simple yes or no question.

10:58 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

HaHa, when’s the last time you saw a politician do that, LC? 🙂

11:06 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

Evading the question and then answering a different question of your own choosing is a skill required of a politician.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:10 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

And John Calipari. Haha.

11:13 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

Yep, cg! I just couldn’t figure out how to work in a Cal mention in my comment. 🙂

11:22 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

Cameron just masterfully dodged a loaded question trying to get him to comment on Trump, and then gave a great answer to a non-existent question.

11:23 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

😀 😀 😀 – cg!

• Laker Cat 18
      11:41 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

It’s a revolving circle. New candidates will answer those questions, seasoned candidates won’t. They won’t take any risks that will potentially lose them votes.

11:52 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

That’s why it’s sometimes refreshing to see an outspoken “lame duck” politician – someone whose term limit is up or is retiring. Sometimes they actually come out with honesty.

9. Realme
    10:51 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

He is SO condescending about letting Ryan, who was interviewing people on tv when Matt was not even an adult yet, a question.

10. Realme
    10:59 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

Lexington’s protests have been organized by folks who are constantly reminding people to keep it peaceful and giving direction for different ways to protest and the police are not deliberately escalating.

11:11 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

We have had a couple of those in E’town that went just fine. The organizers went out of their way to emphasize that the crowd should be respectful, not damage property, etc. One of my neighbors is a cop, and he said they had thwarted a whole bunch of out of town people trying to come in and stir up trouble.

11. RealCatsFan
    11:21 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

Sounds like Atty general Cameron is going to dance right around that land mine of appearing to be critical of what der Donald is saying.

11:22 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

And I actually like Daniel Cameron, but like Booker, he is dancing around the question.

11:27 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

It was a pretty obvious loaded question, imho. Anybody can see that Trump’s comments were idiotic, so what purpose does it serve for a state AG to comment on that? He handled it skillfully, and I think even Matt was fine with that.

11:38 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

IMO, Trump is not even acting like a president right now. He has yet to hold a press conference to address the unrest in our country right now. Just a photo op holding a Bible and a bunch of tweets. The only reason he did the photo op was to save face because he was being criticized for hunkering down in the bunker.

12. Realme
    11:30 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

Way to be a dbab and make this about yourself Matt. What kind of narcissist notices losing 150 of 205,000 social media followers.

11:33 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

Didn’t catch that comment. Must have been when I was actually doing work. 😉

11:33 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

Haha! And then it was like some kind of all-wise moment when he decided it is what it is.

11:34 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

I’m multitasking. Or at least doing something that is as close to multitasking as a man can do. 🙂

11:39 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

Dudes cannot hold a candle to the ladies when it comes to multitasking.

13. runningunnin.454
    11:42 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

If you think politicians dance around questions, wait for Zion’s response (if he doesn’t pay them off).
    “At this time, I don’t recall”. Talk about a Texas Two-Step.

11:54 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

He will pay whatever it takes to not have to risk the Vampire’s wrath.

14. Laker Cat 18
    11:55 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

Frank is back! He still wants Frank with me.