KSR Show Thread 6/18: Put that spotlight on Edmonson County!

What do you need to know about Edmonson County, Kentucky? Maybe a little about its status as Cave County as the gateway to Mammoth Cave and the launching point for Nolin Lake? What about Captain John “Jack” Edmonson’s death at the Battle of Frenchtown during the War of 1812?

This morning, all your questions will be answered on Kentucky Sports Radio as the show continues to highlight counties across the state.

Not enough for you? Matt Jones in the crew will also address the latest on:

• College football’s return date

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

57 Comments for KSR Show Thread 6/18: Put that spotlight on Edmonson County!

1. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:09 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

Woo-hoo! We have a Show Thread! Did those terrorist hackers from a few years ago squash the ST yesterday?

• runningunnin.454
      10:14 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

There was a ST; but, it wasn’t on the main page. You can google ksr show thread 6/17.

10:22 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

Weird. How was I supposed to find it? Where did you click?

• Realme
      10:30 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

It was in the row at the very top.

• runningunnin.454
      10:32 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

It was up at the top where they list the most recent articles. Or…you can find any st if you google, “ksr show thread…and the month and day. That was odd.

• ClutchCargo
      10:35 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

It was at the top for awhile for me, but later I had to search “KSR show thread” to get to it.

10:42 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

I never saw it at the top either. I tuned in late again.

10:42 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

And yeah, I’ve Googled a few times to find an old ST I missed, or wanted to see particular comments and replies.

2. Realme
    10:12 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

I’m gonna need a couple weeks to do those 50 miles.

• Realme
      10:14 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

But I bet Shannon can do it. He was right with his big talk about free throws. And he’s stubborn.

• runningunnin.454
      10:33 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

They all should have to do it; but, I guess not.

• Realme
      10:39 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

The rest already know they can’t.

• ClutchCargo
      10:42 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

I believe I could do that. If it took 20 hours, that’s an average of 2.5 mph. Going 3.5 mph, which is about my normal walking speed, that gets it down to about 16 hours. Of course there would have to be some breaks built in, but still gets it within the 20 hours. Then I would need to take the next week off work because I couldn’t walk anymore. lol

3. JTHinton
    10:17 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

The Belk Bowl announced their name change today, to the Duke’s Mayo Bowl (no lie).

I’m so glad the SEC has that policy in place that prevents you from playing in the same game often, because that is an epic downgrade!

• Realme
      10:19 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

Yikes. Think of the swag bags the players will get. Gallons of mayo?

• JTHinton
      10:28 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

Realme, I remember last year after the Sun Bowl (sponsored by Tony the Tiger, the fictional character for Frosted Flakes cereal) the winning coach was doused with cereal after the game.

So I’m holding out hope we get to see Mack Brown or Will Muschamp with a Mayo-bath!

• runningunnin.454
      10:21 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

Never heard of Duke Mayo; wait, is that the little school in Durham?

10:21 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

Well, one bowl used to be the Weed Whacker Bowl (actually the Poulan Weedeater Bowl I think). It’s the one in Shreveport I believe.

Anyway, the corny jokes will write themselves when the announcers yell “He slapped some Duke’s Mayo on him with that hit!” or some such.

• RealCatsFan
      10:34 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

Yuk, I hate mayo.

• ClutchCargo
      10:47 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

Don’t underestimate how freaking great Duke’s mayo is. It’s way higher on the condiments ranking than Belk is on the department store ranking. 🙂 Even if you don’t necessarily like mayonnaise, try this: anything you would put butter on before cooking, like grilled cheese, use mayo instead. It’s also good to spread on a thin layer of it on chicken before you put it on the grill to prevent sticking, and it helps with browning and grill marks, if you’re into that.

• Realme
      10:52 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

I tried the substitute mayo for butter on grilled cheese once, not sure why people swear by that, butter tastes better.

• ClutchCargo
      10:59 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

Probably just needs some salt, since it will be more like unsalted butter. But then that’s another step you have to do, and not worth it to most people I guess.

11:00 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

I like mayo on lunch meat sammiches, but not on burgers. Mustard & ketchup only as far as liquid condiments.

I might have to try the grill trick. My wife is doing keto so she bought some Duke’s. She has always sworn by Hellman’s, but it has a smidgeon of sugar whereas Duke’s doesn’t apparently.

• RealCatsFan
      11:01 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, I have started brushing a little olive oil over the chicken when I grille it. Keeps it from sticking, tenderizes it a bit, and helps the seasonings stick to it.

• ClutchCargo
      11:05 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, the oil on the chicken works (mayo is just oil, eggs and an acid). It’s funny, but oil on the meat works better than oil on the grill grate for preventing sticking.

4. Realme
    10:18 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

Sometimes I think about how Jdub and BP still don’t miss us enough to come back. They are missing so much bird, car, and music talk. 🙂

10:24 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

Speaking of music, I was listening to Enya before tuning in. Very soothing.

• runningunnin.454
      10:40 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

That’s true, Realme; especially with everything shutdown for two months, and nothing to do…maybe they were “essential”.
      CG, thumbs up for Enya…especially the Loxian tunes,

10:51 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

Trivia, her real name is very Gaelic:

“Enya, the Anglicized stage name of Eithne Ní Bhraonáin, was an anomaly from the start. Born into a large, Gaelic-speaking family in rural Ireland…”. That was from this article:

It’s very fascinating that many still grow up speaking Gaelic as their first language in what is typically an English first country. The lead singer/fiddler of Altan (an Irish band), Mairéad Ní Mhaonaigh, grew up speaking Gaelic as her first language also. I’ve seen them in concert twice and they are fantastic. I got a pic with Mairéad. Those bands always hang around for autographs and pics with the fans.

10:58 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

Ha, RG. You taught me some trivia I didn’t know. Her lyricist created a fictional language for those songs! Why didn’t they just use Klingon? Haha. Very cool though. I also didn’t know she did songs in the fake Elvish language for Lord of the Rings. I knew she was on the soundtrack (I have it actually).

5. Realme
    10:40 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

How can you be born and raised in Ky and never go to Mammoth Cave? Is that normal and I just don’t think so because I grew up close by?

• ClutchCargo
      10:51 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

It seems strange to me. But I never went to Churchill Downs until I was in my 30’s. And I’ve never been to a race at Keeneland. Clearly horse racing isn’t really my thing.

• RealCatsFan
      11:03 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

Last time we went was when my kids were about 12 and 10. My older one started getting nervous because she started thinking about what would happen if an earthquake occurred while we were down there.

11:36 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

We left Lexington for GA when I was 13, and I’ve never been. I’m sure I would have gone, and I would still like to. Me and my family have been to DeSoto Caverns here in Bama. It’s not as big but still looks massive when you’re in there.

11:40 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

People often take for granted what they live close to. On one of the mission trips to Scotland, and one point we were touring some sites in Glasgow where we were for a week. One of the Scottish members was with us because he had taken a liking to one of the girls with us (all college age). The director of our campaign was driving the church bus and he asked the Scottish dude “Chunky, how do you get to the Glasgow Cathedral from here?” Chunky, in hit thick accent: “Beats me! I never been!”

He went by Chunky because he worked at Chunky Chicken and he pushed weights.

6. ClutchCargo
    10:54 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

Interesting that Will thinks USC Jr. is UK’s daddy given the results over the past several years.

11:17 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

What did he say? I was away from the PC for a bit.

• ClutchCargo
      11:37 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

He wanted to know what UK was getting USC Jr. for Fathers Day. I think a gift card for another butt-whooping sounds about right.

11:41 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

Wow. Way to punch up to make yourself feel better I guess.

7. ClutchCargo
    10:57 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

I-65 approximates the route of 31-W through Kentucky. So Edmonson County missed out way before the interstate.

8. runningunnin.454
    11:05 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

Last night we watched the first Tarzan film with Johnny Weismuller and Maureen O’Sullivan. He was a five time gold medalist, and she was beautiful…she was also Mia Farrow’s mother.
    My wife said “wow, that’s kind of racy for 1932”. Yep, the motion picture people instituted the censorship code specifically due to the Tarzan movies.
    Weismuller came up with the Tarzan “yell” that was used in every Tarzan movie afterwards. Per his wishes, the recording of the Tarzan yell was played three times as he was enterred.

• RealCatsFan
      11:48 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

Some of the comments for this were pretty funny. I agree with it being similar to the sound that I make when you get that first blast of ice cold water out of the shower and forget to step aside. 🙂

• RealCatsFan
      11:49 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

Oh, and I forgot to turn down the speakers on my PC, so I got some interesting looks from my co-workers.

• runningunnin.454
      1:26 pm June 18, 2020 Permalink

RCF, that’s hilarious; did you tell them you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

9. Laker Cat 18
    11:37 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

Okay, just got here. Where are we walking?

• ClutchCargo
      11:39 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

I think they’re still just talking about it, with no real plan for where.

• Realme
      11:42 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

50 miles anywhere. Shannon is maybe going from Shelbyville to Lexington, but there is a 90% chance it wont happen because KSR.

10. ClutchCargo
    11:47 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

I feel a little wimpy for even discussing walking 50 miles. If I didn’t remember seeing on the news about this guy who ran 131 marathons in 131 days, I never would believe it could be true. https://www.wave3.com/story/7349671/mans-feat-of-human-endurance-131-marathons-in-131-days/

• Realme
      11:50 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

My back / hip start killing me after about 2 or 3 miles. Guess I’m old now.

• RealCatsFan
      11:59 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

My knee just spontaneously started hurting just reading the article.

• ClutchCargo
      12:02 pm June 18, 2020 Permalink

And he made a point of doing it in the heat of the afternoon, in honor of the soldiers out in the heat of the desert. Yikes!

11. ClutchCargo
    11:49 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

Ugh… I thought I was done hearing that Edelen campaign jingle.

• Realme
      11:51 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, none will ever be as good as Vote For Wanda Baker.

• RealCatsFan
      11:58 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

What if Matt had run for office and had Kentucky Joe do his campaign jingle?

12. RealCatsFan
    11:57 am June 18, 2020 Permalink

I’m cracking up at the dog walking up to Matt and giving him a token bark. They say dogs are a very good judge of character. 😉

13. BobbyBlue
    12:22 pm June 18, 2020 Permalink

RG,
    We also watched the 1932 Tarzan movie last night,and I was shocked was at how racy it was for that era.

• runningunnin.454
      1:30 pm June 18, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha Bobby; the 2nd Weismuller/O’Sullivan flick is more well known, for a variety of reasons. Check out Tarzan and his Mate from 1934. One scene was censored, and there was another the censors missed…you can find those scenes online.