KSR Show Thread 6/16: Cumberland County Spotlight

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Tuesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will continue to catch up on the news that happened while Matt was out and shine the spotlight on Cumberland County. If you’re from that neck of the woods, call in and give us a fun fact about the place you call home.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

42 Comments for KSR Show Thread 6/16: Cumberland County Spotlight

1. Realme
    10:06 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

Keeping things exciting during These Unprecedented Times: chili for breakfast.

• runningunnin.454
      10:08 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

Cold pizza here!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:09 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

Hey, lots of people like pizza for breakfast, and cold at that for a lot of folks. I think some of that comes from college days when there was a delivery pizza box left on the floor with some slices still in it.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:09 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

RG was too fast for me this morning.

• RealCatsFan
      10:15 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

I’m a certified pizzasaurus, but I don’t care for it cold – I always heat mine up. And after a late night, ahem, overindulging, there’s nothing like an ice cold Coca Cola and a sausage pizza.

Dang, now I’m hungry!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:18 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

I’m with RCF. Pizza Hut Supreme with thick pan crust is great reheated in the oven, no microwave please, unless you have to head out the door in 30 seconds and take it with you or something.

• Realme
      10:19 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

Same. Pizza always yes. Eaten cold no.

2. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:07 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

So we got us another Aussie kicker! Me likey! One thing I like about this pipeline, in addition to the way Duffy just booms those punts, is these guys aren’t afraid of contact and they know how to make a tackle if needed. The first Aussie football player I remember seeing punt for an American team was some guy with the Chargers years ago. He said he actually missed the contact because he, as all punters do, had to stay back as the safety valve after kicking instead of being aggressive and coming up to get in the fray. He was a big guy too as I recall, with a very strong leg.

Anyway, in addition to his bumblebee dance, did you see where Duffy tweeted him and said “Get ready for a lot of kangaroo questions”? Hilarious.

• runningunnin.454
      10:14 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

I like the TV commercial with the kangaroo jumping up and kicking the guy in the jewels, ha ha. Don’t even know what they’re selling…guess a commercial can be too good.

• RealCatsFan
      10:16 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

I get the feeling that those guys won’t be lacking for, um, dates.

• runningunnin.454
      10:23 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

Darren Bennett?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:27 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

RG, it’s a men’s underwear commercial where they promote that the apparel being advertised has sort of a pocket for, well, you know…

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:27 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

Pouch I meant to say…

• RealCatsFan
      11:09 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

It’s the underwear to get if you don’t want your little Joey’s bouncing around down under. But for the ultimate protection, you need the America’s Cup!

3. Realme
    10:13 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

The one time I watched Aussie rules football, I realized any punter we get from that sport will be half crazy, in a good way.

• Realme
      10:14 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

Well, pretend that was a reply.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:22 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

They showed it a lot in the early days of ESPN before they had the NFL and MLB and big time sports like that. It was fun. If you get a chance, look up some highlights and see how the refs signal a goal, and their attire. I don’t know if they still wear this, but in the 80s they wore like fedoras and trench coats.

4. Laker Cat 18
    10:14 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

So…Oklahoma State’s Mike Gundy. A lot of people like him. A lot of people hate him. I personally think he’s a good coach. This may be an ignorant comment to make, but I didn’t even know what OAN was until I looked it up when I saw the big fuss about it. I’m 35 years old. How do kids know what this stuff is? Is it common or am I just sheltered?

• runningunnin.454
      10:15 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know; I had not heard of it, either.

• RealCatsFan
      10:17 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

Had never heard of it until the POTUS started spouting off about it.

• Realme
      10:20 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

I had to look it up too.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:24 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

Those players need to grow up. If another player is a rock ribbed conservative, and Gundy had worn an MSNBC shirt, would this be a story? You know the answer.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:25 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

I had never heard of it until the last year or so. It’s popped up on my FB feed so that’s how I learned about it. Apparently it’s on our cable and I didn’t know that until my wife was scrolling one day. I thought it was a web only thing until then.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:28 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

I always go back to his time going off on the reporter for a negative story he did on one of his players and how Gundy had his kid’s back. I thought it was funny at the time, but after a few years in his profession…I’d do the same thing now.

On another note, I saw Jason Brown (Independence CC – Last Chance U) commented on Twitter last night that he had banned Oklahoma State from recruiting his players, but I never saw his reasoning for that.

5. Bluehender
    10:19 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

Kyrie thinks the earth is flat. So there’s that

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:29 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

Maybe the flat earthers think that explains all the unexplained disappearances in the Bermuda Triangle. Boats DO fall off the edge of the earth after all. Haha.

• runningunnin.454
      10:33 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

If you drive Route 66 through the Texas panhandle to Amarillo, you’ll swear the earth is flat.

• Bluehender
      10:35 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

No doubt about that rg..

6. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:36 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

Those NBA players will have “It’s a Small World” stuck in their heads the rest of their lives. Haha.

• RealCatsFan
      10:43 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

HaHa, going on that ride is like taking a trip back in time.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:45 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

We always pass through Burkesville and MarrowBone on the way down to Dale Hollow Lake. We will be heading that way at the end of the month. And of course the boat has something wrong with it. RCF under major pressure to get it fixed or will be facing possible divorce from Mrs RCF and disassociation from the daughters. 🙁

• PAPA
      11:24 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

Boats always have something wrong with them. We pass through Burkesville also every weekend going to DHL, can’t drive straight through without hitting a manhole cover. Love this little town though!! Always stock up on ice down by the Dollar Store.

• RealCatsFan
      11:42 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

Where do you guys stay down there, PAPA? We will be staying at Sulphur Creek. If I have to strap a damned outboard on the back of the boat I will have it down there.

• PAPA
      11:46 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

We have a houseboat at Holly Creek Marina, been on DHL boating for thirty plus years now. Have been to Mike’s Landing several times this year for some great eats and drinks. Love Sulphur Creek Marina!

• RealCatsFan
      11:50 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

Got any recommendations for a small runabout or pontoon rental in case I can’t get mine running? No compression on cylinder #8. Not looking good for the home team right now.

• PAPA
      12:12 pm June 16, 2020 Permalink

Had a friend that came down and rented a cabin a couple of weeks ago and could only find a rental pontoon at Mitchell Creek Marina. You can try at Holly Creek (931) 243-2116, or Willow Grove Marina (931) 823-6616

8. runningunnin.454
    11:01 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

Maxwell House was named after the hotel in Nashville. Teddy Roosevelt stayed there and coined the slogan, “Good to the Last Drop”.
    I liked their 1892 brand; but, I believe they are going out of business. Another old coffee brand is Hills Brothers.

9. Laker Cat 18
    11:38 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

The Wolf Creek Dam isn’t in Cumberland County. It’s in Russell County, Jamestown specifically.

10. RealCatsFan
    11:40 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

Good Lord, Matt, you wrote a book about Kentucky and you don’t know that the Wolf Creek Dam formed Lake Cumberland?

They lowered the lake level ten years ago and did major repairs on the dam. I thought that the issue was stabilized. The problem was the network of caves and passages in the limestone under the dam. They injected thousands of yards of concrete into them.

I remember going to the Lake Cumberland Poker Run the year they dropped the level 20 feet. One morning we saw a 28 Donzi and a 38 Baja powerboat high and dry up on a peninsula. The guys had both been running at night using the GPS breadcrumb trail to navigate. The peninsula had been under water the year before when they made that track. Surprise! And it was two separate incidents – they weren’t running together.

11. runningunnin.454
    11:49 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

Didn’t know about the hippie colony; that was interesting. Don’t know if Manson was ever there; but, his mother was from Kentucky; she and her brother served time for robbing a gas station with a broken ketchup bottle.

12. Laker Cat 18
    11:49 am June 16, 2020 Permalink

For you Lake Cumberland folks, head over to FishTales restaurant at the Wolf Creek Marina in Nancy, KY. Worth the travel.

13. 4everUKBlue
    1:55 pm June 16, 2020 Permalink

Sorry I missed this ST, I was raised on Sulphur Creek Marina, Dale Hollow. Prettiest lake around IMO, except the Buckeyes and Hoosiers have taken over these days.