KSR Show Thread 6/12: Happy Birthday Drew Franklin!

This morning’s edition of Kentucky Sports Radio will be dedicated to none other than Drew Franklin on his special day.

To close out Matt Jones’ two-week furlough, Ryan Lemond is throwing a party today to celebrate Drew’s birthday from 10 a.m. to noon, and KSR’s beloved listeners are all invited. (Virtually, of course.)

While Ryan puts together a makeshift celebration for his valued cohost and friend, make sure to direct all your birthday wishes to Drew on his big day.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

76 Comments for KSR Show Thread 6/12: Happy Birthday Drew Franklin!

1. ClutchCargo
    10:03 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

Is it safe to listen today? Doesn’t look like there are any terrible guest hosts or bogus music/food brackets to avoid.

• Realme
      10:06 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

Phew!

• Realme
      10:09 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

I looked at the comments from yesterday after the fact. Was impressed they came up with a bracket that RG could get into.

Did Andy call in?

• runningunnin.454
      10:10 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

I enjoyed the one-hit wonder bracket; can’t believe they finished it so quickly…wouldn’t have if Matt had been there, ha.
      Here’s the ultimate one-hit wonder, and there’s Steve Zahn,

10:11 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t listen, so I don’t know. I didn’t hear an Andy call, so it was a good day either way.

10:13 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

Don’t take my comment about music brackets as a slam, rg. Any form of good clean fun that brings people joy these days is all good.

• runningunnin.454
      10:21 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

No, I didn’t take it that way. Those things are good…maybe once. Then they get a little old.
      That Happy Birthday song the show opened with was pretty good; I predict that group won’t be a one-hit wonder, ha ha.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:00 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

RG, that group was more manufactured than the Monkees. πŸ˜‰

• runningunnin.454
      11:08 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

Yep, but did you know the Monkees hung out with the heavy hitters in Laurel Canyon. They were featured in the documentary; but most of it was about their partying…wish I could have been there.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:15 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

I love The Monkees actually. I have their greatest hits on CD and scanned into my iTunes. There are multiple collections out there, but this one is the best. It’s from Rhino Records, and it has great liner notes on their history, including their fight to play their own instruments. It says Mike Nesmith put his fist through a wall at a press conference when someone asked them about not playing. Haha.

In the mid 90s I worked with a girl who was only about 22 years old and she LOVED The Monkees. I gave her my CD but then luckily found another copy.

Oh, and this one actually has a couple songs from their 90s reunion album. “Heart and Soul” is a terrific tune.

• UKgrad80
      11:25 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

The Monkees did not actually preform their music they were fake. They were the Milli Vanilli of the 60’s.

• runningunnin.454
      11:36 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

Their musical abilities were limited; but, they did sing on the studio versions of the songs. The songs on the TV show were recorded; but, they did begin to contribute musically later.
      Some of their songs were pertinent to the ’60’s culture; Last Train to Clarksville was about leaving for Vietnam, and Pleasant Valley Sunday was about status symbols and keeping up with the Jones’s.

• 4everUKBlue
      3:31 pm June 12, 2020 Permalink

Actually the only member of the Byrds with any musical talent was Roger McGuinn, Crosby had very little talent at all, couldn’t play a guitar at all in the beginning. That makes the Byrds the first Monkee like band.

2. Realme
    10:06 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

10:10 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t take the time to go all the way through it, but yeah, that’s pretty challenging if you don’t follow recruiting really closely.

3. Realme
    10:15 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

Yay, political commercials! I love the one where Matt pretends he just decided he’s endorsing Booker, even though he has supported Booker and hated McGrath since before he Made His Decision.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:23 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

His endorsement video should have just been honest. I’m voting for Booker because McGrath got me fired. I’m sure Booker’s a good guy and would do a great job, but I don’t think he’s the guy to defeat McConnell unfortunately. I’ve wondered who Matt would vote for when it comes down to Mitch and Amy in the fall.

10:24 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

Is it just me, or does it almost seem that he doesn’t want to support McGrath because she actually has the better chance to beat Mitch, which Matt couldn’t do? That would make his opposition to The Turtle, along with “Mitch Please”, irrelevant. .

• Laker Cat 18
      10:26 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

I agree. If Amy beats Booker and Matt doesn’t endorse her in the fall, his book was a waste and he will officially be labeled a political hypocrite.

• Realme
      10:35 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

Good points. If Amy loses to Mitch, Matt can always tell himself HE would have won.

10:35 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know, I find it hard to believe that Matt would dislike Amy more than he dislikes The Turtle. Yeah, Amy torpedoed his TV show, but The Turtle actually got him banned from KSR for a while, and is creepy enough to send a “tracker” to follow Matt around. I’m actually surprised that it’s legal to do something like that. But it’s right up Mitch’s alley.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:53 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

It’s clear he dislikes both. My issue will be if he stays silent in the fall if it’s between those two. We’ll see how bad he really wants to take down Mitch. He will HAVE to endorse McGrath if it comes down to it. I’m not sure he will.

• Realme
      10:54 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

Do people really ever make a voting decision based on an endorsement?

11:01 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

If Amy wins the nom and she is smart she would make amends with Matt. Say what you want about him, it would help her campaign to have his endorsement.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:21 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

The funny thing is, if Booker had been the establishment’s choice, the same thing would have happened to Matt. That’s politics, on both sides. I’m not saying it was right, but Matt went in with some naivete.

4. Laker Cat 18
    10:21 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

Finished Season 1 of Outer Banks. It was really good. I started Space Force. It no Office, but I’ll probably not be able to stop watching it while waiting on the real Michael Scott to show up.

10:37 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

I probably need to watch Outer Banks. I know other people who say it’s good, but their taste in shows is a little different than mine. And it seems like a 90210 on the surface. I realize those comments sound like reasons to not watch it, but I’m keeping an open mind.

10:44 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

And I have 4.5 seasons of Justified still to go, so I’m good for awhile. Then there is Yellowstone, which looks like it could be pretty good.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:51 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

Justified is SO good. One of my favorite shows of all time. It joins the short list in no particular order…

SOA
      Breaking Bad
      The Walking Dead
      Prison Break
      Wentworth

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:55 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

What is Outer Banks about?

10:58 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

I kind of feel left out with all these shows that everyone watches. I feel like some kind of a nerd because I never watch any of them. My lifestyle is so crazy right now and I’m so scattered around that I just can’t make myself sit down to watch a series where each episode depends on seeing the earlier ones for it to make sense. I tried to watch BB when they had the marathon going, even DVR’d it, but just couldn’t muster up the attention span to sit through that many episodes. Guess I’m missing out.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:01 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

Without giving a lot of it away, it’s about some high school kid’s going on a violent treasure hunt. It sounds stupid and something that I normally wouldn’t jump into, but I thought it was well done!

• 4everUKBlue
      11:04 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

Again if you haven’t been watching Yellowstone you really need to get caught up, season 3 starts the 17th. Kevin Costner is really good in his role.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:24 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

I’m not a binge watch guy, but I wouldn’t mind to see Stranger Things (I think…who knows if I would really like it) just because of all the 80s pop culture references it apparently has. We don’t have Netflix though. I just don’t think we would watch it much.

11:32 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

I watched most of the first season of Stranger Things with my girls, and thought it was pretty good. And yeah, I also love movies that are set in a particular time in the past that get all the little details right. My wife and kids make fun of me because I am always noticing the old cars in the background and calling out make and model. πŸ™‚

• Laker Cat 18
      11:34 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

I watched season 1 of Stranger Things. It was okay, but I couldn’t get into it enough to watch anymore after that. I would like to watch Yellowstone.

• Realme
      11:39 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

Loved ST, but we fizzled out part way through the most recent season. Prob will pick back up eventually.

11:45 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

RCF, you might want to check out “It Follows” if you like movies that are set in a particular time. Not the most family friendly movie, as the premise is basically a sexually-transmitted haunting. It is kinda scary and unnerving in ways I haven’t seen in a movie in a long time. It’s set sometime in the 80’s (I think), but there are things that happen, and items that are seen, that are just incongruous enough to give it a weird feel without you really understanding why.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:48 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

It Follows was one of the most awkward movies I’ve ever watched. Simply weird.

• runningunnin.454
      11:50 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

“It Follows” was a great movie; I think there’s a sequel; but, I haven’t seen that one.

11:52 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

It’s intentionally weird though, which makes it awesome, imho.

11:54 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

I hope there is no sequel, rg. That one just needs to stand on its own awesomeness.

5. Realme
    10:22 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

Please make this stop.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:24 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

Joe makes my ears bleed. I don’t understand why they give him air time.

10:37 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

You know, my feeling about Joe are starting to soften a little. Yeah, he still makes me want to rip my ears off, but I actually found myself cracking up listening to him singing happy birthday to Drew. Maybe it’s because of his health issues. Hope he is doing better health wise.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:55 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

I was in late today. It sounds like that may have been kind of funny actually. I’m kind of with RCF. It’s harder to pound the guy with his health issues.

• Realme
      11:20 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

I wish him good health, but that doesn’t make him less terrible at singing.

11:33 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

I have never hated KY Joe, I just hate his singing.

6. runningunnin.454
    10:22 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

Oh Lordy…my ears!

7. ClutchCargo
    10:32 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

Absolutely, someone could sign in their sleep. I used to be really bad about sleepwalking, and I could do about anything asleep that I could do awake. I was just a little clumsier about it. lol

10:43 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

My older daughter totally freaked us out when she was about three. We heard voices coming from her room at 4 AM, and found her standing in front of the mirror in her room carrying on a conversation with herself while she was sleepwalking. Needless to say, we kept her away from the TV set for a while after that.

10:44 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

To this day, she is just about impossible to wake up when she is in a deep sleep. We have thought she was awake and carrying on a conversation with us, only to have her fall back asleep and have no recollection of the conversation. I advised her to get a nuclear alert grade alarm clock when she starts college.

10:48 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

RCF, that’s creepy AF! And I say that as an infamous former sleepwalker. Even in my 20’s my wife woke up in the middle of the night once to me standing on the bed taking apart the light fixture above the bed and carefully laying the parts on the dresser. She learned early on to not freak out and just firmly suggest that I go back to bed.

10:50 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

RCF, does your daughter do the sleep paralysis thing? That’s the worst, and something I struggled with until I was well into my 30’s.

• CrystalBall
      11:38 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

Know how you feel Clutch. I have struggled with it many, many years myself. Usually at least once per month and often two episodes
      per month.

10:53 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

No, she doesn’t have the sleep paralysis thing. But she will talk to you, sometimes what she says makes sense, and sometimes it is total nonsense. I think she gets that from her mom – she is also infamously hard to rouse, especially after a few merlot’s. πŸ™‚

My BIL was so bad sleepwalking as a kit that they put a locking storm door on his room to keep him contained.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:54 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

Does she confess things she otherwise wouldn’t? I have heard of someone who would quiz her teen daughter and get stuff out of her she normally couldn’t. Haha.

10:55 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

Not sure I would want to cross that bridge, cg. πŸ™‚ Maybe I should tell her boyfriend that I’m thinking about doing this. πŸ˜€

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:57 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

The person I’m referring to is actually my MIL. Funny, I’ve never been able to get my wife to confess things in her sleep. lol

11:04 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

My son is a super heavy sleeper who is hard to wake up, and also sometimes sleepwalks. We went through a pretty rough stretch for a little while where he would get up to pee during the night and would just go wherever he perceived the toilet to be. Which was sometimes even the laundry basket in his closet. I should have just bought a carpet cleaner, looking back on it now.

11:06 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, hopefully he won’t have a repeat performance at the frat house in college. πŸ˜€

11:10 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

Mrs RCF has very vivd dreams sometimes, and sometimes she will act them out. Usually it involves me being the villain – quite revealing, actually. πŸ™‚ One time, she dreamed that a mutual friend was a super-villain like in a movie, and had kidnapped her. She was trying to get information out of me in her dream, and in a semi-awake state started punching me in the arm and asking “did you ask him why?” over and over. When I finally got her awake and she told me the whole dream, we both started laughing and it has become a running joke between us ever since. It reminded me of this:

8. RealCatsFan
    10:50 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

9. runningunnin.454
    10:52 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

So, is Drew old enough to drive today? Hah, just kidding. Time to grow up…oh, I did it again Ha ha ha.

10:54 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

Isn’t Drew engaged now? If so, he will have to grow up pretty soon. Matt, on the other hand, is way behind him. πŸ˜‰

I have resisted growing up all my life – growing up leads to growing old which leads to dying. πŸ™‚

• Realme
      10:56 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

Engaged and a homeowner!

10:58 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

Never confuse growing old with growing up! πŸ™‚

11:05 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, I am confident that I am living proof of that. πŸ™‚

10. 4everUKBlue
    11:09 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

Birds in the garage update: I went out into the garage the other day and all the baby wrens (fledglings) were on the floor in the corner hopping around and trying to fly, kept flying into my mother’s car. Mama bird eventually came and kept nudging them out into the grass and they flew away. As far as I could tell they all survived and I saw them on the deck a few days later, pretty cool.

• Realme
      11:21 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

Awesome.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:25 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

Photos man!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:30 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

Realme & Clutch, can you all again post where to go to see your bird pics?

I’ve been derelict in trying to look at them because I was busy whenever I saw your posts. Thanks in advance!

• Realme
      11:37 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

tumblr “badbirdphotos”. And they are bad photos, but I am enjoying collecting my sightings. Scroll down for bonus pics of my pets.

11:49 am June 12, 2020 Permalink

Here ya go, cg. Glad I took these when I did, because they are officially out of the nest full-time now. *sniff*

11. UKFanSC
    3:11 pm June 12, 2020 Permalink

Happy Birthday Drew. Other than your liberal-ass politics your my KSR favorite, which surely makes your day.

• UKFanSC