KSR Show Thread, 6/10: Tony Vanetti is in the KSR Big Chair

Tony Vanetti is spending his Monday morning on Kentucky Sports Radio. Standing in for Matt Jones, Vanetti will be joined by the World Heavyweight Radio Champion. Maybe Shannon the Dude will throw him through a table? Tune in to hear all the action.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

59 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 6/10: Tony Vanetti is in the KSR Big Chair

1. ClutchCargo
    10:09 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

So today I’m at home with my laptop connected to my home wifi, and I can comment. Weird.

10:16 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

Well, enjoy another rousing Monday summer show thread. So far it is wild.

• ClutchCargo
      10:31 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

It’s a bittersweet moment. πŸ™‚

• StillBP
      11:27 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

I’m in the field today, but still using same laptop and can’t comment from it. Still phone only.

2. bluegrassboy25
    10:19 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

Worst moment was when UK lost to Georgetown when Patrick Ewing played in NCC Tournament

• runningunnin.454
      10:23 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

Can’t listen today; but, the UConn and Wisconsin tournament games sucked, too.

• ClutchCargo
      10:33 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

The topic is most embarrassing moment, and proudest moment in UK sports.

3. Realme
    10:27 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

testing…

10:27 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

Phew. Typed a long comment and it just disappeared. Thought I caught what Clutch and BP had.

• runningunnin.454
      10:34 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

OBoy, now we get to guess what it was about?

10:36 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, I’m not typing it again. To summarize: Joker Football.

4. ClutchCargo
    10:30 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

Just pick any one of the UK/UF football games with Bill Curry for the embarrassing moment.

• runningunnin.454
      10:36 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

Worse than the 40-0 Vandy game?

• ClutchCargo
      10:40 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

The Joker era was more depressing than embarrassing for me. We had such high hopes for UK football when Curry left Alabama to come here. And then it just sucked so hard until it was obvious he was in over his head.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:33 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

So what’s it going to be today, KSR peeps? More conspiracy theories, or maybe talk about aliens. KSR is becoming KS-Coast-to-Coast. πŸ™‚

• ClutchCargo
      10:36 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

Pretty sure I spotted Bigfoot outside our rental cabin in the hills of Gatlinburg awhile back. I might need to make a return trip soon to investigate further.

10:40 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

Everyone name your favorite Cryptid. I’ll go Chupacabra.

• ClutchCargo
      10:43 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

Mothman, hands down. I know a guy whose parents died in that bridge collapse in WV.

• RealCatsFan
      10:45 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

Goatman. Just recently a teenage girl was killed up on that trestle looking for the Pope Lick Monster. Tragic.

• RealCatsFan
      10:49 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

Where is Iam/4ever today? Our conspiracy talk has kind of stalled without him! πŸ™‚

• runningunnin.454
      10:55 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

Don’t know; I want to ask Iam about McCartney’s childhood home. Evidently it was designated an historical landmark. There was this custodian named John Halliday. If you want a shock, google “Paul McCartney’s childhood home…there’s a video, and it’s bizarre.

• ClutchCargo
      11:01 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

@Realme: The chupacabra or chupacabras (Spanish pronunciation: [t?upa?ka??as], literally “goat-sucker”; from chupar, “to suck”, and cabra, “goat”) LOL!

Sorry, I needed to google to see if your new avatar is a chupacabra. πŸ™‚

11:05 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

Not having seen one, sucking goat blood or otherwise, I had to trust the google machine. πŸ™‚

• 4everUKblue
      11:56 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

Iam in the process of moving so I’ve been busy and will be for a few weeks. I don’t buy the John Halliday story. According to Memoirs Billy and Brian Epstein visited Jim McCartney first thing, they had to see if they would go along before they went any further, Jim, Brian, Paul’s brother Mike are all Freemasons. If Paul’s family wouldn’t go along with it, that would be the end of it.

• 4everUKblue
      11:56 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

RCF, just an FYI, I don’t believe in aliens.

• No love for the Yeti?

• 4everUKblue
      12:03 pm June 10, 2019 Permalink

Interesting tidbit, Paul lived with the Asher family for a while, Jane’s father was a high ranking Freemason, her mother was Sir George Martin’s music teacher. Her father died of what was reported as suicide just weeks after Paul’s death, he laid dead for several days in his basement before being found. His death as you can imagine was suspicious.

• 4everUKblue
      12:16 pm June 10, 2019 Permalink

Sorry, I was mistaken, Dr. Asher died about 2 1/2 yrs after Paul, some saw it as a warning to Jane and anyone else who had any ideas about exposing the replacement. Jane’s father told her she would have to mourn in private, not in public. Linda Eastman met Billy and told him she knew he was not Paul but she could help him but she wanted in the band.

• runningunnin.454
      1:38 pm June 10, 2019 Permalink

There you are 4ever; I really don’t know what the Halliday story is; but, there must be some familial relationship there.

• 4everUKblue
      2:45 pm June 10, 2019 Permalink

RG, just to clear the air, I asked you to debunk the PID theory out of respect for you and your Beatles knowledge and your intellect and was in no way meant any other way. I do agree there must be some familial relationship with Halliday. I’m in the process of moving to my hometown to take care of my parents and have a lot of work to do to the new house, so I’ll be in and out for a bit.

• 4everUKblue
      2:50 pm June 10, 2019 Permalink

Almost forgot RG, the story is that Paul was not killed that he was replaced and Halliday is biological Paul, or at least that is one story.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:43 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

IMO, hard to top losing to Bobby Morris in first round of NIT. But I saw it coming when the fates conspired to make us play them at home rather than at Rupp or Memorial. That team was done.

• ClutchCargo
      10:47 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

That UK team was just playing out the season once Nerlens went down. I can’t even say I was embarrassed by that loss. More like relief that it was over.

10:47 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

I didn’t find that embarrassing. They weren’t interested in playing in the NIT, and I wasn’t interested in watching them do so.

• RealCatsFan
      10:48 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

I agree that the team pretty much folded up shop at that point. Which is why it would have been better to just turn down the invitation. But that’s not Cal.

• ClutchCargo
      10:55 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

I think it is almost always best to go ahead and play that tournament game, whatever it is, and it would send a terrible message to not do that. I would hate to be a fan of a school that just took its ball and went home like a spoiled brat. There would have to be some compelling reason other than just not wanting to play anymore for that to be the right thing to do.

• That’s why it’s the Nobody’s Interested Tournament.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:47 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

Probably not a popular opinion around here, but I like Vanetti. Yeah, he’s a UL fan, but he gives UK props when we deserve it, and he is pretty funny most of the time. I like listening to him and Witten in the afternoons. Much better than the political schmock that they had on there in that time slot for several years. Gives me something to listen to when I mow the grass in the afternoon with the headphones on. (I finally bought a riding mower with a beer holder – game over!)

10:56 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

I like him too.

• ClutchCargo
      10:57 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

There are actually quite a few reasonable UofL fans out there, and Vanetti is one of them. I know several in real life.

• runningunnin.454
      11:15 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

Are the reasonable UofL fans as rare as the chupacabra?

11:18 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

Rarer, RG. Google image search for that just brings up ceiling fans.

• ClutchCargo
      11:22 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

It could be that the “reasonable UofL fans” are actually just run of the mill UofL fans who have been appropriately humbled by the embarrassing events of the past several years. It does seem like they tried to talk more smack a few years ago.

11:28 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

The fun to mock fans will be back. Especially if their bball team is as good as they think it will be.

• RealCatsFan
      11:28 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

Realme for the win with the “ceiling fans” reference! πŸ˜€

• runningunnin.454
      11:31 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

Ha ha ha ha ha, hee haw.

8. RealCatsFan
    11:14 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

Someone should ask Vanetti what the most embarrassing UL moment would be. But of course, we would need way more than 2 hours.

• runningunnin.454
      11:18 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

Ha ha, that might take all day!

11:18 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

How could they ever pick one?

• StillBP
      11:28 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

Clearly I’ve missed something, Real what is up with your new creepy picture? Lol

• runningunnin.454
      11:30 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

That’s a reasonable UofL fan.

11:31 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

Chupacabra. It’s in honor of our cryptid convo, even though Iam sadly isn’t hear to make it really interesting.

11:31 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

lol rg

9. RealCatsFan
    11:27 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

I hate to burst Vanetti’s bubble on the Sugar Bowl win, but Florida absolutely did not want to be there in that game. They were hoping for a national championship that year. To get place in the SB was deflating for the teams and fans. Yeah, you have to give UL some credit for absolutely punching them in the mouth, but I don’t think UF had the kind of motivation they would have had normally. (Yeah, I realize that there should be no problem with “motivation” in a major bowl game, but it happens.)

• RexRox
      12:51 pm June 10, 2019 Permalink

I’ve always told UofL fans that it’s much tougher to beat an SEC team in October than it is in January. You just never know if a team will show up for a bowl game or just mail it in. Especially when said team was hoping to play for the championship just weeks earlier. On the other hand, everybody else is always fired up to play an SEC powerhouse. We see this play out pretty much every year during bowl season.

10. ClutchCargo
    11:49 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

This caller sounds like she is stoned as hell.

11:53 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

We must have missed her original appearance during a certain other hosts’ day. Not mentioning their name, don’t want to trigger the algorithm that brings their followers here to defend them.

11. RealCatsFan
    11:56 am June 10, 2019 Permalink

Sad to hear about the decline of NASCAR. Yeah, part of it is the plain vanillaness of the new drivers, but another factor is that Americans have basically become lazy and addicted to their phones. A lot of people are content to lay around on the couch with the TV on, and not even really watching it as they scroll through their phone with their thumbs. Before social media, we were forced to get off our arses and go out in public for socializing. Hell, we have tried 3 times to get enough people together to have a trivia night for the athletic teams where my kids go to HS, with no luck mustering up enough. Sad.

• ClutchCargo
      12:00 pm June 10, 2019 Permalink

Sad but true. I remember as recently as the mid-2000’s when I used to travel extensively for work. I was usually alone, so I would sit at the bar when I went out for dinner. It never failed that I would end up in conversation with at least one other person sitting near me. Nowadays, it seems that everybody would rather be somewhere else and can’t get their faces out of their phones for 5 minutes.