KSR Show Thread 6/1: The Drew and Jack Show

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Matt’s off for a few weeks, but we’ve got quite a show lined up for you today. KSR’s own Jack Pilgrim is joining Drew Franklin to catch us up on the latest in basketball recruiting and what it’s like to plan a wedding during quarantine. If you’ve got recruiting questions, leave them in the comments.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

54 Comments for KSR Show Thread 6/1: The Drew and Jack Show

1. runningunnin.454
    10:00 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

Well folks, I’ve lived a long time, and I’ve seen some sad $hit…in our country, and around the world; but, 2020 sux. Hate to wish away time; but, I’m ready for this year to end.

• Realme
      10:06 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

At least the long decade of May is over. Hopefully June will become 2020’s best self.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:13 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

Just because the calendar flips doesn’t mean current events do. I want the events to flip before the calendar flips to 2021.

• Realme
      10:14 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

I look forward to the day when RG is making jokes again.

• ClutchCargo
      10:15 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

I think it’s okay to wish time away in 2020. I realized the other day how short this year will seem if/when things get back to normal. I already can’t believe it’s June now.

• runningunnin.454
      10:19 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

I did get some respite over the weekend watching the Laurel Canyon documentary. I would have preferred more footage of live performances; but it was good. I read every article I could find on the phenomenon for decades; so, didn’t learn much, but still good. I had forgotten the Turtles were there; always liked them; but, considered their stuff commercial bubble gum music.
      Was fortunate Sat nite catching the PBS special, “Peter, Paul, and Mary at the iconic Newport Folk Festival ’63-’65”.
      Also with Joan Baez and Bob Dylan…excellent.

• RealCatsFan
      10:38 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

Daughter #1 hit the big 1-8 yesterday. At this point, the world seems so scary that I wish she was 8 again. The idea of sending her out into that $h!t keeps me up at night.

• Realme
      10:40 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

She can handle it, her mom and dad have done a great job raising her.

• ClutchCargo
      10:55 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

It’s weird, RCF. My oldest turned 18 last summer and the thought of her transitioning on to adulthood was something I had dreaded from day 1. But it hasn’t been a big deal to me once that time came. But I’m also not one of those parents who want their kids to stay kids forever because I can’t bear to see them grow up. The growing up part is actually exciting to me.

• RealCatsFan
      11:01 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

And 2020 seemed like such a nice round number. It had a nice ring to it, like perfect vision. There are a lot of folks who will be burning it in effigy on NYE.

2. Realme
    10:13 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

I prob will sit out the heavier topics today, I need a break, doesn’t mean that I don’t care.

That said, bird story, but sad so, disclaimer.

Went to the horse park saturday. It was the most beautiful day ever, I saw lots of great birds, even got some bad photos of my fave woodpecker. On the way out, I look up at a screeching blue jay. Oh! It’s screeching at a hawk. Cool. Oh look, binoculars are showing me hawk is eating something it caught. Oh no! That’s a nest. And still I kept watching. It was eating the blue jay’s babies. I have a terrible picture stuck in my head.

• ClutchCargo
      10:20 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

That’s hard to look at, but I guess that’s Mother Nature at work. But I’ll admit I was on the fence about grabbing my pellet gun a couple of weeks ago when I saw 4 grackles swooping at the mama hawk sitting in her nest in my backyard trying to protect her babies. I didn’t do it though, and they finally took off. It could have been that the mama hawk had just robbed their nest, so who knows.

• Realme
      10:24 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think blue jays are above doing the same to other birds, I just wish I hadn’t seen it so graphically.

• RealCatsFan
      10:41 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

Nature can seem cruel, but it’s the way it’s supposed to be.

A buddy of mine got me to join a FB group about native snakes of Kentucky. I know a lot of people are scared of them or don’t like them, but to me they are fascinating and beneficial creatures. Some of them have absolutely beautiful patterns and colors.

• ClutchCargo
      10:50 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

I’m sure the image of me smoking a few racks of ribs on a Saturday afternoon is horrifying to some creatures. lol

• Realme
      10:52 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

I’m fine with snakes. My dad is phobic and has nightmares about them. My mil stopped going into her basement several years ago due to a snake sighting. Had a new washer dryer setup built into her kitchen.

• RealCatsFan
      10:57 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, if most of us had to do the dirty work of hunting and prepping, we would be vegetarians. 🙂

• ClutchCargo
      11:01 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

My wife wants no part of snakes or mice, but she likes operating the riding mower. We have had mice in our shed where the riding mower is stored, and I found a snake’s skin that it had left in there a couple of years ago. Needless to say, it’s my job to get the mower out for her. I did get rid of the mice once I sat myself down and said repeatedly “I am smarter than these mice.” 🙂

• RealCatsFan
      11:05 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

Saw an interesting turn on humane mouse traps. A guy put a metal dish with sloping sides filled with peanut oil in his garage. The next morning ha had seven or eight mice in the bowl. They are attracted to the peanut oil, but can’t get out. He actually cleaned them off in soapy water and released them. I might have to feed them to my rat snake. 🙂 JK!

• ClutchCargo
      11:10 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

Humane mouse trap (to me): one that kills them instantly. I think the last thing I would want to do with mice is to attract them into my garage, assuming it’s part of the house. I had to finally shore up the obvious entry point they were using to get into the shed. Close the borders, so to speak.

• Realme
      11:21 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

How can people be afraid of furry mice and smooth snakes, when bugs with all their legs exist?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:25 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

Just checking back in. My parents used to LOVE “Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom”, but I never liked watching animals eating other animals, especially when the predator caught a baby. It is nature of course, but I don’t like watching it. People post videos like that online now and many are in crystal clear HD. Even worse. Ugh. I try to tell Facebook I don’t want to see those if they pop up. I just want to see puppies/dogs and kittens/cats playing.

• ClutchCargo
      11:29 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

I don’t get it either, Realme. There are worse things out there. Like whatever those things were that I saw in my wood pile in the vicinity the fire pit one night a couple of years ago. They appeared to be 3″ long bugs with several legs, but were flexible and moved like reptiles. Didn’t get a great look at them because it was dark and they scurried away quickly after I picked up a log and saw them. I was severely creeped out by that, so I’m careful to make plenty of noise when I go over there. Maybe the wolf spiders (which I find fascinating) took care of them.

• ClutchCargo
      11:33 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

I’m kind of with you there, cg. But that didn’t stop me from laughing when I first saw the honey badger video the first time. lol

• RealCatsFan
      11:35 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

I think we posted the picture before of the wolf spiders’ eyes glowing in the dark when you shin a light in the grass. 😀

• ClutchCargo
      11:37 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

I mean, who wouldn’t be a fan of a spider that is so bad-ass it doesn’t need a web to catch its prey?

• RealCatsFan
      11:40 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

Someone posted a picture of a rat snake that had just swallowed a squirrel. Those guys are amazing climbers. That must have been a really quick snake to catch a squirrel!

• Realme
      11:42 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

Chris, the worst nature shows are the ones that try to make you attached to a specific animal and then make you watch it suffer from drought or get eaten. I cried over a baby kangaroo for hours once. It was so sad I could not stop. Now I mostly just watch ocean shows and leave the room if my husband is watching one that is clearly trying to manipulate me.

• Realme
      11:44 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, you may have seen some alien babies. Also, Me! I wouldn’t be a fan of a spider.

3. runningunnin.454
    10:37 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

I’ve been reading about Breonna Taylor, the young EMT that was shot in a drug raid in Louisville…evidently she was a UK grad.
    What happened there? Did the police go to the wrong address? If so, these “no knock” warrants in which the police don’t have to identify themselves have to stop.

• RealCatsFan
      10:55 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

I believe the police went to the wrong address with a “no knock warrant”, which means they basically just kicked the door in with no warning. Ms. Taylor’s husband (I think) obviously didn’t know they were police and fired at them in self defense with his own firearm. She was killed when the police returned fire.

• RealCatsFan
      10:58 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

And I think the police said they are no longer doing the no-knock warrants.

• runningunnin.454
      11:08 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

That’s good; that’s just a recipe for disaster. I think I read that the target of the raid was already in custody at another location.

4. ClutchCargo
    10:37 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

It’s great that the basketball players are coming back soon. But dammit, I need to hear that football is on track!

• Realme
      10:39 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

They’re coming too aren’t they?

• ClutchCargo
      10:48 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

Well, I think so. I just need to hear news about it so I can be sure it’s really happening. All the talk right now is basketball, which is months later on the calendar.

• runningunnin.454
      10:54 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

I think I read 30-40 football players would return this month; and, 10-20 would return in stages through the summer.

5. Realme
    10:38 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

Cannot wait for our players to be on campus!

6. Realme
    10:47 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

I tuned in to a few seconds of SMST in the car yesterday. Curtis was arguing that Juzang, “wanting to be closer to home during a pandemic”, had a better case than Sarr. Who gave him a show? Johnny declared before the country shut down, and all the players went home for the pandemic. Sarr was screwed over by his program. smh, er (I may have made that second one up, but it should be a thing. “eye roll”)

• runningunnin.454
      10:52 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

Let’s face it; I like JJ; but, he left because he didn’t think he would see much playing time.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:28 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

Whaaaa??? Curtis Burch actually said that? I would have thought that would be a UL host and not a UK host.

7. Realme
    11:10 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

Sometimes I’m too busy talking to you guys too listen. How many people do I get to shoot into space? I’ll start with a big orange buffoon, and then a certain vampire.

• RealCatsFan
      11:36 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

Can we sent Congress and the Senate up with him? We need a BIG rocket!

8. Realme
    11:13 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

I hope they just keep doing the shows themselves. No need for social guests, imo.

• Realme
      11:14 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

special, dagnabbit

• ClutchCargo
      11:20 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

Yep. The changing landscape with the COVID stuff and everything else going on will provide all the variety anyone needs this summer.

9. ClutchCargo
    11:22 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

Why does today’s show feel more like typical talk radio than normal? Or maybe it’s just me.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:26 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

I tuned out about 15 or 20 minutes in. I’ve had enough of riot coverage.

• RealCatsFan
      11:37 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

And last week we were wondering when we would stop talking about COVID. Flavor of the week…

10. RealCatsFan
    11:39 am June 1, 2020 Permalink

Personally, I think the media coverage is adding fuel to the riots. A lot of these idiots just want to get on TV.

11. RJH
    12:58 pm June 1, 2020 Permalink

Thank you to Drew Franklin for the mention of my dad and Frances KY basketball.

12. dan1965
    2:53 pm June 1, 2020 Permalink

Hey realcatsfan i have a question if you dont mind. Years ago as a child i swear i saw a snake, in Kentucky where I was born and grew up, but it looked like a corral snake,it had rings of different colors that went around its body.
    I know corral snakes aren’t in Kentucky, so im not sure what it was, have any clue ? Everyone back then said I was nuts because i was just a young boy, but i know what i saw. It had circles around it, one of them i remember was red , maybe a black, not sure on that or the other colors though, but there were a few. Anyway thanks in advance if you have any thoughts.

• runningunnin.454
      6:25 pm June 1, 2020 Permalink

Dan, you saw a milk snake, common in Kentucky. Looks like the coral; but, a coral snake has yellow bands next to red bands.
      Rule of thumb, if a red ring is next to a yellow ring…run.

13. dan1965
    1:12 am June 2, 2020 Permalink

Thanks running i appreciate the info, knew i wasnt crazy… lol