KSR Show Thread, 5/6: Derby recap, Allen predictions

Kentucky Sports Radio radio returns following a controversial Kentucky Derby weekend in Louisville. The four of us are in studio for today’s show to look back on the Derby action and ahead to the week, including Beau Allen’s Monday afternoon announcement.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

54 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 5/6: Derby recap, Allen predictions

1. runningunnin.454
    10:02 am May 6, 2019 Permalink

Sloppy track, 19 horses, 6 horses all bunched up…there’s going to be bumping and rubbing. Terrible decision. The winner lost, and the Derby lost.

• Realme
      10:09 am May 6, 2019 Permalink

Made no sense to me. There’s this pack of what looks to me like too many horses jostling around, but if one moves wrong then it’s a cheater? Are they supposed to use their mirrors and turn signal?

• runningunnin.454
      10:11 am May 6, 2019 Permalink

I disagree with Matt; now, what are the odds?
      Jockey forgot to whisper in the horse’s ear, “Stay in your lane, bro”?

• All I know is his father was a mudder.

• On a serious note, I didn’t even think about this until someone on the radio this morning said it. How many folks had bet on the eventual winner but had torn up their tickets when they thought he lost? However, #nogamblerhere

• Realme
      10:13 am May 6, 2019 Permalink

Also, WHAT LANES? I actually don’t really care. Didn’t watch live. Not a fan of a sport where a competitor frequently dies senselessly.

• randyt
      5:52 pm May 6, 2019 Permalink

There wouldn’t be many horses around if not for the racing industry. Horses are expensive to raise and not many farmers have an incentive to raise them.

• Haha RG & Realme.

I have to say Matt is making a good point about how bad it would have been if several horses had gone down and any (especially if it was multiples) had to be euthanized.

• I’m with you Realme. I don’t watch, I don’t gamble, and your last few words are extremely salient. Horses are such beautiful and majestic creatures and I hate when I hear one has been put down.

• Kernel Sanders
      10:28 am May 6, 2019 Permalink

If you tear up your ticket before the results are declared official, then you really have no business placing a bet. Horse racing 101…save the ticket til the stewards rule.

• ClutchCargo
      10:38 am May 6, 2019 Permalink

Agree with the Kernel. Being dumb can get really expensive.

• RealCatsFan
      12:02 pm May 6, 2019 Permalink

I agree – it’s going to turn horse racing into a soccer match. But my judgement may have been clouded by the fact that I lost $200 with the decision. My brother-in-law would have had the exacta. Talk about pissed!

• RealCatsFan
      12:03 pm May 6, 2019 Permalink

We seem to have forgotten that we went down that road before with Eight Belles.

• mashburnfan1
      2:37 pm May 6, 2019 Permalink

The jockey knew he did wrong, even made an excuse when being interviewed before we even heard about an objection. And someone said he had been suspended at other tracks for the same thing. Is very dangerous, not the animals fault, but yes the jockey does control where the horse is going. This is not car racing, these are live animals, and several could have been badly hurt or killed by that move. Was not needed, he clearly had the best horse but jockey should be owning up to what he did.

2. What was it Dickie V said? Something like “The 5 worst words to hear in a bball game are ‘Let’s go to the monitor'”.

• ClutchCargo
      10:40 am May 6, 2019 Permalink

I’m calling BS on Dickie V. It’s worse to hear “Let’s talk about dook basketball.”

• ClutchCargo
      10:41 am May 6, 2019 Permalink

On second thought, those words are never actually heard, except in the heads of ESPN announcers.

• Haha. True on both.

• RealCatsFan
      12:00 pm May 6, 2019 Permalink

I had a bad feeling about it, especially when the minutes ticked on, but I was still shocked when the decision was announced.

3. highway119
    10:14 am May 6, 2019 Permalink

Right call. Ran wide and forced multiple horses to pull up. Affected the race, so how can you let it go?

• runningunnin.454
      10:20 am May 6, 2019 Permalink

Just might be difficult to control a 1800 lb animal. So do we blame a dumb animal for “cheating”? Yeah, there are rules; but, they have to use some common sense…the lead horse was obviously spooked.

• Realme
      10:29 am May 6, 2019 Permalink

As an admittedly ignorant non fan, that’s the key to me. Did the jockey do something wrong? Because I don’t think an animal can cheat.

• StillBP
      10:35 am May 6, 2019 Permalink

Well the jockey is ultimately responsible for the animals movement, although they can’t 100% control every second. Spooked or not, you can’t block off a horse. Had he not done that he might not have even won (to eventually be stripped). War of Will was coming for him, he caused him to slow down. Took a lot of momentum out of WoW to catch up. WoW is really the horse that got screwed.

• Realme
      10:39 am May 6, 2019 Permalink

You know, maybe I’m wrong and a horse can cheat. My cats definitely lie about whether or not they’ve been fed, lol.

• StillBP
      10:43 am May 6, 2019 Permalink

lol Real. Too bad Maximum’s owner is taking is ball and going home and not running in the Preakness. I get that they don’t want to race the horse so soon after Derby since they can’t chase the Triple Crown, it would be nice see them get out there and prove that they had the best horse without cheating to win.

• StillBP
      10:43 am May 6, 2019 Permalink

*his

• ClutchCargo
      10:45 am May 6, 2019 Permalink

All I know is when my dog is chewing up something she shouldn’t, she will lay down on it to try to hide it when one of us walks in the room. Is that cheating?

• J-Dub421
      10:50 am May 6, 2019 Permalink

Having ridden horses for many years, if your horse spooks and shies, there’s really nothing you can do but hang on and try to get them back under control as quickly as possible. When they spook, it happens fast and literally anything can set then off.

• Dog & cat owners, check out this golden retriever when he gets caught:

• ClutchCargo
      10:57 am May 6, 2019 Permalink

Thoroughbreds are some really high strung horses. Also, I just think they are asking for trouble by having such a large field like they did this year.

• ClutchCargo
      11:00 am May 6, 2019 Permalink

cg, that’s the move I have seen many times from various dogs of mine. lol

• StillBP
      11:07 am May 6, 2019 Permalink

I have a Great Dane (insert horse joke here). He cuts me off all the time and I’m convinced he does it on purpose. He typically walks beside me, but sometimes darts in front of me and quickly stops short to smell something that was on the side where he was just walking. It’s like he’s just messing with me for the fun of it. It annoys me to no end! lol

• J-Dub421
      11:10 am May 6, 2019 Permalink

Our cats love to dart between your legs while going up or down the stairs and stop a step in front of you, especially if you’re carrying a big basket of laundry or something.

• Goldens are the absolute best dogs, hands down. But I really like Danes too. They are YUGE!

• StillBP
      11:19 am May 6, 2019 Permalink

Goldens are a lot of fun. But I’m a Dane girl. My current one is my 4th. I don’t think I’ll ever get another breed but you never know.

• J-Dub & BP, that behavior is dangerous, especially for folks who aren’t steady on their feet like older folks.

• I don’t know if we could afford to feed a Dane. lol
      I would love to have one though.

• ClutchCargo
      11:23 am May 6, 2019 Permalink

I’m partial to German Shepherds, but we currently have a couple of small dogs that kind of fell into our laps.

• StillBP
      11:30 am May 6, 2019 Permalink

chris they don’t eat as much as people think. Puppies eat a lot but once they are 3 years old they only eat 4 cups a day (2 cups twice a day). And you don’t want to buy crappy food but you can get good food at Costco. I spend about $35 a month on food. It’s really the vet bills that get ya. Esp as they get older.

• runningunnin.454
      11:50 am May 6, 2019 Permalink

Agree with Clutch; the field should be limited to no more than 12 horses. We’re lucky it wasn’t much worse.

• RealCatsFan
      12:00 pm May 6, 2019 Permalink

I know someone who has 2 GD’s. They should be able to claim them on taxes. Those people are crazy.

We have a horse/pointer mix – and in the back yard I really do think she thinks she is a racehorse – gallops around the yard with dirt clods flying up behind her. Literally sounds like thundering hooves. If we ever host a Derby party, I am going to get a saddle and a tiny jockey and one of those face masks for her.

• Get a monkey to ride her like they do at rodeos.

4. Realme
    10:28 am May 6, 2019 Permalink

“Puddle that gave a reflection in his eye.” Wut?

• RealCatsFan
      12:06 pm May 6, 2019 Permalink

I did see a large puddle on the track that he seemed to shy away from.

5. TPACAT
    10:53 am May 6, 2019 Permalink

Matt can’t see past his own political bias to realize they were booing the damn decision…

6. Drew is even more pessimistic than I am. I realize neither Barker nor Towles worked out, but come on man, Barker got hurt, and he was lighting it up against Southern Miss before that. And, we don’t know how good Terry will be this year. He played well *at times* last year, but he’s got to step it up this year.

• ClutchCargo
      11:31 am May 6, 2019 Permalink

The QB situation worries me more than a little. An injury to Terry could derail an otherwise promising season.

• And put me in the camp that doesn’t like the “He’s 10-3 as a starter”. No, the team was 10-3. Yes, the QB is the most important position on the field, but I still don’t put them on the same level as a pitcher in baseball.

• And I would say the same about any QB. I guess you can make an exception for a Tom Brady, but that’s just it, an exception.

7. NostraDanis
    11:32 am May 6, 2019 Permalink

Egomaniac Baffert forcing his way into the media

8. Realme
    11:55 am May 6, 2019 Permalink

Phew, Ryan is really struggling against the pageant ladies today.

• Realme
      11:59 am May 6, 2019 Permalink

I don’t know what answers Matt wants the contestants to give. Most of them were pretty decent.

• UKrailbird
      12:03 pm May 6, 2019 Permalink

Did I just hear all 3 KSR on-air staff comment that they agreed that those currently incarcerated should be allowed to vote? Matt, if/when you ever choose to run for public office, will that be your response to that question, if asked?

• TPACAT
      1:05 pm May 6, 2019 Permalink

Matt’s a leftist. What do you expect?… And, the others are probably afraid to say what they really feel because they’re afraid he’ll kick them off the gravy train…