KSR Show Thread 5/30: After the KSJail sleepover

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Thursday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio, which is coming to you live from KSJail on the final day of Ryan’s Putt For Prison sentence. Tune in to hear the guys recap last night’s sleepover, EJ Montgomery’s decision to come back for his sophomore season, and much, much more.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

73 Comments for KSR Show Thread 5/30: After the KSJail sleepover

1. BANG BANG FARRR POW’RRR!!!

Now let’s go get the Hokie.

• runningunnin.454
      10:01 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

You’re greedy…and I like that! But, with Bolden staying in the draft, don’t you think K will be burning up the phone lines?
      Actually, I think Blackshear will go home to Florida.

• Realme
      10:01 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

Man, if we did…

• ClutchCargo
      10:06 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

rg, you’re on quite a roll with your ability to make things happen by predicting the opposite. I see what you’re doing with Blackshear! πŸ˜‰

• runningunnin.454
      10:07 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

LOL, I can’t get away with nuthin’.

• Realme
      10:10 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

Oooo, good idea RG.

• My youngest sister was one of those who liked to try the “Today’s opposite day. Yes means no and no means yes. Can I have a…?” RG = same.

• runningunnin.454
      10:19 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

Through the looking glass; black is white, and white is black.

2. Realme
    10:00 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

You know, I’ve seen some people really, really complain as if EJ waiting until the final day to pull out of the draft is somehow offensive. But I noticed yesterday there were dozens of guys from all over the country doing it that way. I bet their fan bases were just glad to learn they’d return.

• J-Dub421
      10:08 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

I’m happy EJ is coming back. He’s only started to scratch the surface on his potential.

• Realme
      10:11 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

Same, Jdub. I wasn’t expecting it, and when I saw the news my eyes misted over for a second (weird I know).

• Awww, someone needs a hug. *hands Realme a tissue* Haha.

• Realme
      10:13 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

πŸ˜›

• J-Dub421
      10:21 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

If EJ becomes what I think he will, he’ll be a stud. He needs to add some weight over the summer (I hope), but EJ could end up being really good, if he puts the work in.

• ClutchCargo
      10:23 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

I have to say, of the guys who have tested the NBA waters and came back, I’m genuinely happier for EJ than I am for what it means for the team. I really want to see him reach his potential.

• runningunnin.454
      10:28 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

Realme was really excited yesterday; I think I saw a four letter word.

• Nick too. They’ve both shown flashes as they say. I forget which game, but there was one where EJ had his back to the basket and dribbled left, then right, and then left again I think, and made a layup or a little baby hook. It was beautiful.

• Realme
      10:31 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

Yes, that was about Blackshear. I just typed out what I blurted in my living room when I read the news that he’d pulled out of the draft.

• Realme
      10:32 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

Chris, if Nick could just get those alien fingers to catch and hold the ball…

10:48 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

HaHa, he needs some of those built-in suction cups on his fingers like the tree frogs have.

• J-Dub421
      11:02 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

Nick also has lots of potential. He just needs more experience. He doesn’t have the basketball instincts that some other guys have who have played since they were children. Nick is just very raw.

• runningunnin.454
      11:08 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

Nick has all the physical abilities, and athleticism; he just needs the fire in the belly. And, maybe, it’s not his hands; maybe he needs contacts. I don’t know, he may already wears them.

11:08 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

I think what Nick really needs is confidence. Hopefully Cal will leave him in for some stretches to play through his mistakes. When kids are afraid to make a mistake, no learning will take place. That is one of the biggest things I have learned with coaching.

• ClutchCargo
      11:09 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

Agree about Nick’s potential. But I never really got the feeling that he was going anywhere.

3. Realme
    10:13 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

UK knew far enough in advance to make the video.

10:15 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

Maybe they made the video in advance just in case. Kind of like the championship shirts and hats printed up in advance for both teams.

• Realme
      10:19 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

I’d hate to think those videos are that insincere.

• I’m guessing they make 2 videos…an “I’m staying” and an “I’m leaving but I LOVE you BBN!” ahead of time, but I don’t know that.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:18 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

So yesterday, since KSR was basically in my back yard in Oldham County, I decided to ride out (at the urging of Mrs. RCF) to watch the last hour of the show live. Little did I know, it was at a private golf course for a scramble, and was not actually “open to the public”. I strolled right in anyway, and there in the clubhouse was Matt, Drew and STD sitting at a table with one dude sitting at a nearby table watching them, and a bunch of older golfers milling about trading stock tips and ignoring them. It was actually kind of awkward. I felt kind of bad for the guys. πŸ™‚

• J-Dub421
      10:23 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

I went to a remote at a Home Run Burgers once, and it was really fun. The place was packed with KSR fans watching the show. It was pretty lit. (Home Run also sold a lot of burgers that day.)

• Realme
      10:25 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

I’ve been to a couple of Lexington ones. Both good crowds, fortunately.

• When I’ve gone to remotes around here, they didn’t always have a lot of time to talk to folks, so maybe those rich guys only wanted to participate if they could talk.

I would LOVE to be at a KSR remote one day. If I had been there for the epic 2012 Louisville pregame when MJ was swimming with the sharks, that would have been the epoch.
      “I have BEEN to the mountaintop…!”

I never did download that when someone sent a link to KSR and they posted it here about a year or 2 ago. Does anyone have the link?

10:30 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

Mrs RCF and I might try to hit one of the ones here in Louisville coming up in August. It will probably be a lot more fun with a big rowdy crowd. Maybe we should wait for football season when Ryan gives one of his shirtless pep talks. On second thought, maybe not…

• Realme
      10:32 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

Just don’t go up front for the pep talk. He might kiss you or crowd surf on you.

10:34 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

I’m more worried that he would give me a big, sweaty, stinky bear hug.

11:14 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

Now hearing Drew talking about being called a “walking meatball”, I really wish I had walked up to him and called him that at the remote yesterday! πŸ˜€

5. Realme
    10:26 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

I will miss yelling at Brad to shoot from my couch, and anticipating his “fashion”.

10:32 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

I really wonder if Brad ever has had any regrets about getting that “Earned not given” tattoo. Like, 20 minutes after getting it when he saw himself in the mirror the first time… πŸ˜‰

• ClutchCargo
      10:43 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

RCF, the mental image I have of Brad looking at that tattoo with regret reminds me of one of those DirecTV commercials. “Don’t get an Earned Not Given tattoo.” lol

10:46 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

What I would really love to see was Cal and Ellen’s reaction to it. πŸ˜€

• “Stay in your lane, bro!!!”

• ClutchCargo
      11:00 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

Cg, I’m thinking a bit further back. Like the guy who sold his hair to a wig shop because he lost all of his money in Vegas, because he couldn’tfind anything to watch on cable, got depressed, went to a self-help seminar and started feeling like a winner.

• J-Dub421
      11:03 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

I need the “like” button back, stat.

6. runningunnin.454
    10:27 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

Actually, Chris Mack has done a good job. They were decent last year, and would have beaten Dook if the refs had not turned a blind eye to Dook’s fouls in the press. It didn’t really resemble a basketball press, more like the London blitz during WWII.
    Even with the pay/play thing, he has a good class coming in…there’s a freshman that can kiss the rim.

10:33 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, they have a big boy coming in who is a specimen – built like Azibouike. Hopefully he plays like Jane… πŸ˜‰

• J-Dub421
      10:55 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

Mack has done a good job, but he definitely hasn’t passed Cal. That’s just absurd.

7. Realme
    10:41 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

Am I the only one that cringes when Matt tells spectators to look happier or put their phone down and pay attention?

• runningunnin.454
      10:51 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

I can just imagine somebody cruising the radio dial, and they hit KSR…what in hell is that?

• J-Dub421
      10:57 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

I want to say it to other people when my husband and I go out to dinner. (I am one of those crazy people who posts photos of my food though. I just don’t sit there on my phone the whole time because that’;s rude.)

8. ClutchCargo
    10:53 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

“People in London don’t know anything about college basketball.” Isn’t that kind of the point of doing this?

• Exactly. I was on a mission trip to Scotland in 1988, and the NBA had only been on TV for a short time there. I remember 2 teens in the church we were working with talking sports (or “sport” as they say it on the “telly”), and one of them mentioned Michael Jordan. The other one said “Oh, the basketball player? Whew!” They hadn’t seen him play but for a year or 2.

9. Haha. If Brad went to UL, that would mean Cal was sending him as a mole. It would be a work, like when 2 rasslers are brothers and one turns on the other.

11:07 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

We already sent Pitino as a mole to bring down the program. Mission accomplished! πŸ˜€

• runningunnin.454
      11:10 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

Now that’s funny. UL fans would be very unhappy.

• Realme
      11:10 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

How would the birdgang react? I’m for it just to find out.

• J-Dub421
      11:15 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

That would be hilarious.

11:16 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

Welp, the tat would fit right in with them! Picture Brad wearing a flat bill with a bottle of Crown Royal. πŸ˜€

10. Realme
    11:12 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

See this is what’s wrong with baseball. It’s so boring your mind wanders, but you might get hit by a ball or stray bat at any time.

• J-Dub421
      11:15 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

That’s why I don’t like to sit behind the baselines when I go watch tennis. If your mind wanders even for a few seconds, you can take a 130+ MPH serve to the face. Sides for me, thanks.

11:17 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

My younger kid drilled some dude in the noggin with a jump serve earlier this year. Was actually pretty funny.

• ClutchCargo
      11:17 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

This will make you want to pay attention: https://youtu.be/Ysa6x6T1vgI

• runningunnin.454
      11:21 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

Disagree with baseball being boring; but if a 95 mph fastball is fouled straight back into the wire screen, it’ll wake you up, boy.

• Woo! If you’re sitting that close, you not only need to pay attention, but you need a well padded catcher’s mit, and a mask wouldn’t hurt either. Look at the softball pitchers that wear the mask.

11. RealCatsFan
    11:13 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

A buddy of mine that I used to play volleyball with had his nose broken by a ball that Dion Sanders fouled off at a Bats game many years ago. He said that Dion came up to him and gave him a blessing. If my nose was laying across my cheek I would want a lot more than a blessing out of Dion!

I agree that better netting should be put in place. If you sit along the third base line, you better pay attention, especially if you have kids with you! I hope that little girl who got his is OK.

12. Realme
    11:16 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

Time for some PLATOONING!

13. Realme
    11:43 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

Kansas about to implode?

14. I know almost all (99.9%) politicians lie, but it’s even more embarrassing when you lie in a way that is totally sucking up and insulting to the voters. Big surprise that Hillary Hot Sauce wasn’t really a Yankee fan.

15. runningunnin.454
    11:53 am May 30, 2019 Permalink

I think raccoon dogs are foxes.