KSR Show Thread 5/29: Ryan Lemond spins the sign at KSBar

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Friday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang is at KSBar to talk about the latest happenings and watch Ryan Lemond serve his punishment for sleeping through the KSR Poker Tournament. For two hours, he’ll be spinning a sign on South Broadway, so if you’re in the Lexington area, drive by and give him some encouragement.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

65 Comments for KSR Show Thread 5/29: Ryan Lemond spins the sign at KSBar

1. runningunnin.454
    10:13 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

The Laurel Canyon special is this Sunday night at 9:00 on EPIX network. Byrds, Doors, Eagles, Canned Heat, Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Beach Boys, etc. Have been looking forward to it for weeks. Woooo.

10:19 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

I’ve never heard of EPIX. I don’t think we have it. Do they stream?

• runningunnin.454
      10:25 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

Don’t know, Chris; it’s one of those many networks on Dish. They show movies sometime, and have some classic rock specials. I do watch it more than a lot of those many satellite stations.

• runningunnin.454
      10:37 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

Okay, I looked. There is an Epix app, and it’s also on Amazon Prime, Apple TV, Roku, Sling, and Youtube. But I think it’s a pay channel. It must just be on the Dish package I have.

• ClutchCargo
      10:56 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

Last night I finished up the series I had been watching, so I’m ready for something new. Might have to check this out.

11:40 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

I’ll look for that RG!

2. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:13 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

You don’t “THINK” rioting & looting helps? Seriously?

10:15 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

Yes, the cop in Minneapolis should be arrested, but an investigation has to ensue because they have to decide the exact charge.

I have no idea what happened in Louisville so I have no comment on that.

10:18 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

And please don’t take anything I say to mean I’m justifying what those cops did. Not at all.

• Realme
      10:22 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

Obviously rioting and looting doesn’t help fix these situations, but I sympathise to some extent. Imagine you’re so angry about an extreme injustice, that keeps happening year after year. The perpetrators almost never face fair consequences. The rest of the world that doesn’t personally identify with the victims will forget in a matter of weeks, and the only response that gets media attention is the ugly stuff. They want things to change. They want to feel safe.

• ClutchCargo
      10:28 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

I totally understand the outrage over the police misconduct. But I doubt anyone felt safe when some idiot decided to take it to another level and start shooting people. I was watching live on TV last night when that went down. Nine shots and seven people injured, so that wasn’t just some jackass shooting into the air.

• Realme
      10:30 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

I’m sure it goes without saying, but I of course don’t sympathise with the shooter.

• ClutchCargo
      10:35 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

I would never think that, Realme. Just an observation that more often than not, these “protests” end up being an excuse to just raise nine kinds of hell and have nothing to do with the issue they are supposedly protesting. The family of Breonna Taylor was pleading with the “protesters” to keep it peaceful.

10:48 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

And I’m sorry but Colin Kaepernik has no credibility. Protest by wearing a shirt with the photo of the mass murderer from Cuba? That doesn’t fly. And BTW, I liked most of Carlos’ call, but it WAS about the flag. Colin proved that when he got the Betsy Ross flag taken off the Nike shoe.

10:54 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

Sorry and I don’t plan to go all morning with this, but the biggest problem I have with the left on this is their claims that this is a systematic effort on the part of every police department across the country. It just isn’t true because the numbers don’t bear it out. Heather McDonald has written about it and has done deep research:

• RealCatsFan
      10:55 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

Like I said, I don’t come close to being in their shoes, so I can’t speak about their motivations, and the violence and vandalism is wrong. It certainly doesn’t help their cause. But on the flip side, they have been doing peaceful protests for decades, and this crap keeps happening.

Let’s turn it around and imagine if the police departments across the USA were predominantly black, and we had case after case of black police officers killing innocent white country folks. Are you going to tell me that we would not have swarms of dudes in pickup trucks waving Confederate flags, toting guns, and raising ten kinds of hell? Are you going to tell he that there would not be violence and vandalism? Certainly wouldn’t make it the right thing to do, but I could see it happening. That’s why I denounce the things that they are doing, but I’m careful to make a blanket statement about them.

10:56 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

Anyway, enough on that, and of course I believe those cops should face charges in MN. That was an obviously awful, awful situation.

10:59 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

RCF, those folks are ruining people’s businesses and their own neighborhoods. What if you owned a small business there? Also, I had never heard of this until the other day:

• RealCatsFan
      11:11 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

cg, we are actually in total agreement. The people committing the violence and vandalism are hurting their own community. And most of the good people who were peacefully demonstrating are against it. But they often live in fear of the bad apples in their midst. I think the law enforcement community has kind of the same thing going on – there are a few bad apples causing the trouble, and the good guys may be afraid to do anything about it. But it is getting to the point where something has to change.

11:22 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

If I lived there I feel like I would want to peacefully protest, but I would be afraid to be there because it so often turns into more.

• DelrayCat
      11:33 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

The simple solution would be to make the millions in settlements made to these black families come from the police retirement and pension funds rather than from taxpayers…the problem would clear itself up in no time.

11:42 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

Delray, without having much time to think about it, I would have no problem with that if you’re talking about only the pensions of officers involved once they are convicted, but not police pensions across the board.

• Realme
      11:47 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

I think the point is that if you affect the bottom line of all police, you might see less of them standing around watching their colleagues kill people

• ClutchCargo
      11:58 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

That would result in less of them, period. Good luck recruiting quality police officers and not just the ones that get to feel like a tough guy because they get to wear a badge and carry a gun.

11:59 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

True, but again, I wouldn’t punish the many for the sins of a few. That’s just me. And it would make it harder to recruit folks to be officers.

• Realme
      12:27 pm May 29, 2020 Permalink

I don’t necessarily agree with Delray, except in the sense that the police themselves should be pressured to take action against racist and dangerous fellow officers.

3. fairplay
    10:14 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

The “reason” to riot is to get a new big screen TV.

• runningunnin.454
      10:33 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

That’s a bit un”fair”. Can’t judge all by the actions of a few.

• RealCatsFan
      10:44 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

There are undoubtedly some people who use it as an excuse to do unlawful things. But it’s hard for me to put myself in their shoes because I have it pretty easy by comparison to what those people in those areas deal with every day. Doesn’t make it right, but hopeless and rage can lead to negative motivations.

I used to be pretty optimistic that my kids might actually get to live in a country that is for the most part free of the racism that I grew up with. I have gone out of my way to raise my kids to be unbiased about color, as much as I can. But it feels like we are going backwards as a society the last few years. ๐Ÿ™

• ClutchCargo
      10:50 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

The best we can do is to try to live our lives the right way, treat all people with respect and set an example for our kids, RCF. I will keep doing that no matter what, and hope for the best. I still reserve the right to blast trolls, though. ๐Ÿ™‚

11:19 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

Yes, I do wish we didn’t have all the strife we have between races, classes, etc.

Galatians 3:26-29
      26 So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, 27 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 If you belong to Christ, then you are Abrahamโ€™s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

• DelrayCat
      11:29 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

Funny how MAGAs loses their collective hive-mind if a black person steals a TV, but cries “Hosanna” as their plump orange Messiah’s crime family steals a billion TVs.

• TPACAT
      2:09 pm May 29, 2020 Permalink

DouchebagCat strikes again!

11:33 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

Delray, think what you want, but I have one Messiah, as you will see indicated in the scripture above.

4. ClutchCargo
    10:43 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

I love football, but I’m taking $100,000 in that deal.

• ClutchCargo
      10:46 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

Strictly from the perspective of my personal enjoyment of being able to watch football or take the money. Not having football would be a huge financial blow to schools, cities, etc.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:48 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

So when are we going to make Matt serve an embarrassing “sentence”? For instance, he should have to do something in retribution for promising UK fans a party if the football team beat Louisville (they did), and not delivering on that promise.

• ClutchCargo
      10:53 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

Good luck with that. Matt is one of those people who have trouble laughing at themselves. I’m always willing to help them out with that.

• Realme
      10:58 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

The only reason they do this stuff is that Ryan is good natured about it, so it’s funny. Acting like Matt did something “wrong” would just result in him lawdogging the very idea.

11:38 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

I’m glad Ryan is a good sport, but sometimes it seems a bit over the top with the things he puts up with.

6. ClutchCargo
    10:54 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

Every time I hear a car horn in the background, I worry about Ryan getting hit by a car for some reason.

• RealCatsFan
      10:56 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

I’m worried that having the Tilted Kilt girls on the scene might put Ryan in even more danger. ๐Ÿ™‚

• ClutchCargo
      10:59 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

He needs another sign that says “Watch my rear end, not hers.” ๐Ÿ™‚

11:35 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

They’re talking about people texting and driving. I’m not saying it’s any less dangerous, but a lot of them are probably dialing. I miss my old Motorola Razr when I could easily dial without even looking. I try to use Siri so I don’t have to look at the screen. Dialing, launching an app like iHeart, etc., is all just as dangerous as texting.

• Realme
      11:43 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

It’s amazing, I often look out the lr window at my bird feeders which also overlooks the main road through the neighborhood. 2 out of every 3 cars, the driver is looking at a phone on their hand. Like they think it’s safe as long as you’re close to your house?

• runningunnin.454
      11:46 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

Apologies to Ryan, but I’d rather watch “hers”,

• ClutchCargo
      11:53 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

Somebody mentioned bird feeders? The hawk nest in my back yard has a couple of young ones that like to stand up on the edge of the nest and flap their wings like they want to fly, all while making hawk sounds in their little baby voices.

• Realme
      12:28 pm May 29, 2020 Permalink

That is so great.

7. runningunnin.454
    10:55 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

Watched Cat Ballou last night; had not seen it since it was in the theaters in the mid ’60’s. If you haven’t seen it, it’s great fun. Jane Fonda was a bit polarizing; but, she was gorgeous, and Lee Marvin was great. Also Nat King Cole and Stubby Kaye singing throughout the movie.
    One thing I noticed; John Marley, who played Cat Ballou’s father was the same actor that was in the Godfather and woke up with the horse’s head in his bed.

• RealCatsFan
      10:58 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

That horse’s head scene certainly took on a life of its own.

• RealCatsFan
      10:59 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

Since we are talking about the Godfather movie, having Cal and Mike Brey on the sidelines together is going to look like a scene out of Goodfellas. ๐Ÿ™‚

• UKFanSC
      12:03 pm May 29, 2020 Permalink

Stubby Kaye !! Dear God, a name I havenโ€™t heard in 30 years.

8. classof68
    10:59 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

Ditto on Jane. Why do we have to get old?

• RealCatsFan
      11:01 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

Wish we could just go backwards. Start out old and broken down, and work your way back to being young. Eventually you just end up as a happy ending. ๐Ÿ™‚

• runningunnin.454
      11:08 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

RCF, that was in a Brad Pitt movie, “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button”. He was old, and kept getting younger. I think he ended up an infant, but I don’t know about the happy ending, ha ha ha.

9. classof68
    11:02 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

Things aren’t as bad as 1968 yet. My senior year they even burned down the ROTC building at UK. All the major cities were rioting.

• RealCatsFan
      11:06 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

Hope it doesn’t get there.

11:20 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

Hey class of 68, you may have tutored me at a community center. Haha.

10. RealCatsFan
    11:03 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

And Louisville riots make the national news. Just peachy.

11. runningunnin.454
    11:25 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

What are the odds Ryan causes an accident?

12. runningunnin.454
    11:30 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

The county seat of Crittenden Co, Marion, was named after the Revolutionary War hero, Francis Marion, the “swamp fox”.
    The old Indian trail, the Chickasaw Road, crosses Crittenden.

13. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:37 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

There is also Marion Military Institute in Marion, AL, that is named after him. There is also a Chickasaw, AL right outside Mobile and one of my best friends is from there (he was a college roommate).

11:38 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

Arg! Reply fail.

14. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:57 am May 29, 2020 Permalink

I hate that Lexington might lose the Legends. That’s the first I’ve heard of minor leagues being hit that hard. Lexington ought to have a Reds affiliate. Didn’t Louisville have a Reds affiliate at one time, or am I wrong? I believe Indianapolis did too at one time.

• ClutchCargo
      12:01 pm May 29, 2020 Permalink

The Louisville Bats (and the Sluggers before that) are still the Reds’ AAA affiliate.