KSR Show Thread, 5/28: Live from KSJail

After a weekend release for a trip to Myrtle Beach, like prisoners do, Ryan Lemond is back in his cell for today’s show. Matt Jones is there with him to talk RJ Hampton and the looming decisions that can make or break Kentucky’s roster for next season.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

54 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 5/28: Live from KSJail

1. runningunnin.454
    9:59 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

Interesting that EJ is working out with Tony Delk; is he going to play guard in the NBA?
    If Tony’s going to make him a knockdown three shooter, he’s got his work cut out for him.

• Realme
      10:02 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

I wonder if he wanted Tony to speak for him and say he’d probably stay in the draft. At least we’ll know about him and Nick and Blackshear by the end of tomorrow…

• runningunnin.454
      10:06 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

Didn’t think of that; you may be right. I said couple of weeks ago, I think he stays in the draft.

• RealCatsFan
      10:12 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

Anyone think Bolden’s decision to stay in the draft will affect EJ one way or another?

• runningunnin.454
      10:13 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

I doubt it; I don’t think he wants to come back to UK.

• How about Hampton’s decision to play down under? I never heard he was considering that, but I don’t follow recruiting to the level some folks do. I can’t keep up with all the names, reclassifications, etc.

• runningunnin.454
      10:16 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, it had been mentioned that he was considering playing pro overseas.
      Hope it works out for him; certainly more refreshing than Wiseman and McDaniels tied to momma’s apron strings.

• Realme
      10:18 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, crazy. If this works out for Hampton he might start something. I think the fact that he took UK out of his final list was a (unintended) courtesy, so all the news reports aren’t that he chose NZ over UK. I just typed chode instead of chose, and now I want that to be a word.

• J-Dub421
      10:21 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

I just want the *ssholes in our fanbase to go away. Is that too much to ask?

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:22 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

If only they were intelligent enough to realize how much their negativity hurts our program.

• Realme
      10:24 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

Their problem is usually rooted in Cal hate or OAD hate, so they probably are happy if their ugliness messes things up.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:26 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

Hating a coach as successful as Cal is totally beyond my understanding.

• runningunnin.454
      10:29 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

If the story about the Memphis teen doesn’t shut them up, nothing will.
      There are more important things in life than winning championships.
      Who thinks K would have ignored that request?

• Realme
      10:29 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

“These kids don’t owe you anything” is something these people will never accept. But. They. Don’t.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:31 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

I’ve never heard of K doing one thing nice.

• StillBP
      10:40 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

Lol Realme chode is a word if you use Urban Dictionary but I’m sure it’s not something you’d use in this thread!

• RealCatsFan
      10:41 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

rg, what story are you talking about? Must have missed it.

• Realme
      10:41 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

Ha ha, whoops!

• runningunnin.454
      10:44 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

The story about the Memphis teen that was killed in a drive by shooting. The story on KSR before the show thread.

• RealCatsFan
      10:50 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

I’ll have to go back and read it. Here in Louisville, there was a horrible story about a kid who got hit by a stray bullet and died. He was an honors student, and was determined to make something of his life. The violence in west Louisville is terrible even when it is between gang members, but when an innocent bystander who is working his way out of that situation gets killed, it is far worse.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:03 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

I like winning as much as anyone but I also realize winning a game is not the most important thing in life, it troubles me that so many fans don’t get that. Cal gets it and sets the players up to be successful in life as young men, not just basketball, I think all our coaches are on board with that and that makes me more proud to be part of BBN more than anything else.

• RealCatsFan
      11:20 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

I have a strong suspicion that the fans who think winning is the absolute most important thing are lacking something elsewhere in their lives, and have to find some type of satisfaction in UK winning. I get a little pissed and grumpy when we lose, but usually within a day afterward I am ready to move on with life. There is so much more in life than winning or losing a game. Case in point – the club volleyball team I coach didn’t have a lot of success from a wins/losses perspective. We were undersized and lacking in skills in a few positions. We got better, but still probably didn’t win as much as some parents would have liked. So we had some grumbling from some of the parents, but most of them were thankful for the growth their daughters had and the fun they had with their teammates. In the end, I’m going to miss the personalities of the players more than the wins and losses.

2. It’s a somber day in central Bama today with the tragic passing of Auburn play by play announcer Rod Bramblett and his wife after a car accident Saturday night. Terrible. It was a 16 year old who hit their vehicle. The last I heard the police are still investigating, but they say there was no alcohol involved.

• Realme
      10:13 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

Ugh. Awful for family on all sides.

• runningunnin.454
      10:19 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

I enjoyed his call of the Aub vs Bama game. I watched the game on TV.
      Saban had to know his kicker didn’t have enough leg; maybe he didn’t know they could run a FG attempt back…ha haha.

• RealCatsFan
      10:19 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

That is a horrible and tragic situation. Very sad to hear that. 🙁

3. RealCatsFan
    10:22 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

So let’s assume EJ doesn’t come back. IMO, we will resemble the 2016 team, where we were thin down low. That team would have been so much better if Dakari had returned for another season.

• Realme
      10:23 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

Blech. I hate not having a scary big. Either a bruiser or a shot blocker, well one of each.

• RealCatsFan
      11:59 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

Yep. We damn well better have some knock down outside shooters, because you know they will pack it in down low and hang all over Nick. And to make matters worse, they are moving the 3-point line back.

4. Iamheasyouarehe
    10:24 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

Tom Petty’s great, I miss him so much.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:26 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

I’m kicking myself in the butt for not going to see Tom Petty and Joe Walsh in Cinci a couple years ago. The concert was right before he passed, so last chance to see him. Mrs RCF went with her sisters, and I had a busy week at work coming up, so I wasn’t planning to go. I was actually looking at tickets the day before the show, but couldn’t find anything close to them that was affordable. Oh well.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:30 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

Saw Petty four times, great show every time. Saw Joe Walsh with the James Gang in the 70’s with the Edgar Winter Group, strange pairing.

6. Realme
    10:39 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

Aw, a huge hit for Kansas! What a shame.

• J-Dub421
      10:47 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

Guess Self will have to cry into his toupee.

• runningunnin.454
      10:59 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

Self should be whistling zippity do dah out his butt with De Sousa being eligible.
      I think the ncaa is for sale.

• RealCatsFan
      11:15 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

rg, I think it is past being for sale – it has been bought and sold by members of the ACheatC.

• J-Dub421
      11:47 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

ACC = All Cheaters Conference.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:43 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

Seems like Matt has some kind of personal issue with Michael Bennett. He is always pretty disparaging of him when he mentions his name. Not a good look, Matt.

• Realme
      10:44 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, he’s pretty mean to that guy. I followed him on twitter, after he followed me, and he doesn’t seem like a big loser.

• J-Dub421
      10:48 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

Is it real, or is it schtick for the show?

• Realme
      10:50 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

Both?

8. Realme
    10:54 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

My dad got suspended by Twitter, but they let him back on after a few days.

• RealCatsFan
      11:21 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

We would love the hear what he did to get suspended! 😀

• Realme
      11:26 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

He’s a retired minister and likes to taunt athiests, so I think someone was offended enough to report him.

• RealCatsFan
      11:58 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

That would probably be an entertaining exchange.

9. Realme
    11:28 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

Did Lee say “consonants” instead of condiments, or did Matt just get away with another one?

10. J-Dub421
    11:46 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

John Calipari is a great man. That is all.

11. RealCatsFan
    11:57 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

Mr and Mrs Cal on KSR? Yes, please!

• J-Dub421
      11:59 am May 28, 2019 Permalink

Cannot wait! I want to be like Ellen when (if) I grow up!

• Realme
      12:14 pm May 28, 2019 Permalink

That will be an all-timer.

12. ClutchCargo
    12:36 pm May 28, 2019 Permalink

Hello?

• ClutchCargo
      12:37 pm May 28, 2019 Permalink

Oh, so NOW the site will let me comment. Ugh…

• J-Dub421
      1:14 pm May 28, 2019 Permalink

The site’s been weird lately.

• ClutchCargo
      6:04 pm May 28, 2019 Permalink

It only works for me on my phone and connected to my home wifi. Weird.