KSR Show Thread, 5/27: It’s Clay County Day

Kentucky Sports Radio radio is taking you to Clay County today for its county spotlight on the show. The guys will talk Richie, fighting, fighting and all of the other great things Clay County has to offer. This will be a fun one.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

48 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 5/27: It’s Clay County Day

1. Realme
    10:09 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

If Ryan’s Twitter is unbearable, he should probably stop following terrible people.

• ClutchCargo
      10:12 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

Stop making so much sense, it confuses Ryan.

2. RealCatsFan
    10:12 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

Has social media made life better or worse? I am beginning to think the latter. If we could eliminate politics from SM, it might be tolerable, but it has basically become a spectator sport, and the politicians on both sides have stoked the fires to push forth their agendas. We are being completely manipulated by them, and many of us have no clue that it’s even happening. (And yes, I admit that I am being manipulated by the just like everyone else.)

• ClutchCargo
      10:16 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

Definitely worse. Even if you take away the politics, it brings out the worst in human nature, and changes how we interact with those physically around us. I use Twitter only to follow some people and organizations for informational purposes, and quit Facebook for good a couple of years ago.

• Realme
      10:18 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

I have a lot of key words muted on Twitter, and if someone is still getting through political tweets, they’re easy to mute. It’s great for me. I also get my fix of cute animals and nature stuff on Tumblr. Reddit on the other hand can be a rabbit hole where I suddenly realize it’s affecting my mood, so I guess it just depends.

• RealCatsFan
      10:20 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, you are right about FB – even if you eliminate politics, you still have to deal with all the douchebags doing their “humble brags” about their nuclear physicist kids, their trip to Hawaii, the new Bimmer they just bought, or the $150K pool they just had installed.

Can we just stick with pet videos? 🙂

• ClutchCargo
      10:22 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

That’s the mature approach, Realme. Unfortunately, I feel like the majority of anti-social media users don’t think that way.

• Realme
      10:24 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

I used to be on Facebook. So full of baloney. My final straw was my childhood friend who would post about her amazing picture perfect life, all the while her sister was messaging me about her real life with her abusive polygamist husband and how their children were being taken away.

• ClutchCargo
      10:26 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

I’ll probably stick with Twitter. I haven’t let it become so much a part of my life that Facebook was. And one day I might even tweet something. 🙂

• RealCatsFan
      10:32 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

Still haven’t tried Twitter. Afraid to add any more SM platforms. Only reason I signed up for FB was to get the birth and wedding announcements that my siblings’ kids were always posting. But it is definitely a quagmire.

Mrs RCF does Twitter, InstaGram, SnapChat, etc., just to monitor the kids’ SM activities. Of course, they just go to a new platform to hide from us. 🙂

10:40 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

I need to spend less time on FB admittedly. Also, and I REEEALLY hate to say this, but a friend of mine, who is one of the best guys in the world, is insufferable when he constantly posts about his “permanent summer vacation”, including photos. He lives in the Florida tropics and has made enough money to retire in his 50s. I guess some people might say the same thing when we’ve posted pics from Gulf Shores or Fort Walton, but it’s not like we have the opportunity to do that sort of thing very much.

3. runningunnin.454
    10:15 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

Social distancing during the ’69 Hong Kong flu pandemic,

10:36 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

That article you posted yesterday had a screen shot from a newspaper back then that called it the Hong Kong flu.

• RealCatsFan
      10:38 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

That your home movie, rg? 😉 I’m sorry, but that looks absolutely miserable to me. I must be getting old! (NO WAY they could pull that off today without a major incident and lots of bellyaching on (you guessed it) social media.)

• runningunnin.454
      10:43 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

No, my ’69 home movies would be a lot worse, I’m afraid. The worst incident at Woodstock was the guy sleeping under a tractor, and they started the tractor and ran over him. Unfortunately, the guy died. The other death was drug related.

10:46 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

RCF, I saw your question late yesterday, but yes, Montgomery is supposedly seeing a spike of Corona. I say “supposedly” because a week or 2 ago the mayor announced that our ICUs were about to run out of space or something like that. Then the next day Baptist Health made an announcement that seemed to contradict that, at least somewhat.

Anyway, my wife is a nurse (not at Baptist) and she has confirmed that there is a spike. I forgot to let you all know, but my daughter had to have an emergency appendectomy Sunday before last. She’s fine now and is recovering nicely, but it was very concerning that she had to have surgery with all the Covid in that hospital. The good thing is my wife knows the surgeon and others involved (she’s been in the OR with them) and knows they are great, and they did a great job. If it was someone she wasn’t confident in she would have told me, but she can’t tell that to anyone else.

10:50 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

RG, I have read some accounts of Woodstock that talk about how bad the conditions were as far as people not having enough water, limited (or no?) access to bathrooms and such. They punctured the extreme romanticism that we normally hear. Everyone knows the music was great, but the conditions? Not so much.

• runningunnin.454
      11:05 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

There were some obvious problems; but, 400,000 people…no violence, no cell phones. And, if you watch the various documentaries, you’ll notice that the vast majority of the young folks there were slim, and in shape…certainly not today.

11:42 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

Processed foods man, especially sugar. It may not be that simple, but I think that’s mostly what it is. More and more of us living sedentary lifestyles and having sedentary desk jobs as well probably.

• RealCatsFan
      11:59 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

I’m glad your daughter is OK, cg. My younger one had the same thing happen when she was about 13 at a volleyball tournament. When we finally got her to the ER, they had to put the hospital on lockdown because they brought a child in who had been in a gang shooting and they were afraid that there was going to be retaliation. Scary stuff.

4. JTHinton
    10:27 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

The Camping World Bowl in Orlando was re-named the Cheez-It Bowl, earlier today.

On its own, that change is irrelevant for Kentucky football — the SEC isn’t contracted to that game. However, I don’t think a company would spend that kind of money on a sponsorship deal if bowl games weren’t going to be played this season. To play bowl games, you have to play non-conference games as well, which means we are probably looking at a full schedule. We know the 8 SEC games and the UofL game will go on; we don’t know much about the MAC’s plans (Eastern Michigan and Kent State) or the OVC (Eastern Illinois).

• runningunnin.454
      10:30 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

Fingers crossed.

• Realme
      10:33 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

It’s so scary how easily it could change, but right now there seems to be reason to get excited.

10:35 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

The jokes write themselves with that new name. The only one that’s better was probably the old Weedwhacker Bowl.

• JTHinton
      10:38 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

CG, I always thought the “Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl” might be the best bowl name in history. That, or the “Little Caesar’s Pizza Bowl”.

10:41 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

I never knew about Tony the Tiger. Wow. Let’s get the Honey Smacks frog and Sugar Bear!

5. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:53 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

Society didn’t make the decision to shut down. Politicians did.

• runningunnin.454
      10:58 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

Is it too early for historical negationism.

• JTHinton
      11:22 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

Nothing annoys me more than people saying that “the virus determines when we re-open.”

No, our state’s leaders determine when we re-open!

11:40 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

And the pandemic did not kill the economy. The reaction to it did.

• RealCatsFan
      11:57 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

Possibly, but on the flip side, if we had done nothing and this thing had spread like wildfire and we had 3x as many deaths all hitting within 5 or 6 weeks, the economy would have been in the crapper anyway AND we would still have 3x the deaths. Hindsight is always 20/20, and you are not going to convince me that the shutdown was motivated by politics. Sure, some people might be trying to twist it that way, but it was not a political event. Maybe the lethality was overstated in the beginning, but scientists and medical personnel are always going to err on the side of caution.

12:00 pm May 27, 2020 Permalink

The shutdown may not have been political, but they took advantage of it and they continue to move the goal posts. It is very political at this point. Georgia & Florida are doing just fine.

12:00 pm May 27, 2020 Permalink

Anyway, take care all!

6. Laker Cat 18
    11:19 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

Frank is back, according to Matt. He always wants Frank with us.

7. Realme
    11:33 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

Hey thanks for being such a fan that you listen to my commercials and view my ads, buy my book, eat at my restaurant and buy my merchandise. Now please also buy the audio book version too.

• ClutchCargo
      11:37 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

If I was going to buy the book, I think I would go with the audio book. Otherwise I would hearing Matt’s voice in my head while reading it.

• Realme
      11:55 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

Bad news, you would be hearing the audiobook in his voice too, since he recorded it.

• ClutchCargo
      11:59 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

Okay, so no audio book for me!

8. ClutchCargo
    11:39 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

It’s funny that Matt is kind of annoyed by Ryan playing the “I know something, but can’t tell you” game.

9. ClutchCargo
    11:42 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

I don’t like the hanging in effigy thing, and it was a b*tch move to do that, but I don’t think there should be criminal charges for something like that.

11:51 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

Hanging or hunging? (for those not listening, Matt & Shannon were just arguing over the proper grammar of hang v. hung)

• Realme
      11:52 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know about the legality, but to me it’s an implied death threat and that is not free speech. And I just want to see consequences be heavy, to deter the next moron from acting on their impulses.

• ClutchCargo
      11:53 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

The argument was hanged vs hung being the correct past tense of hang.

11:57 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

I know. Just funnin’.

11:58 am May 27, 2020 Permalink

I remember learning in jr. high English class “Swim, Swam, Swum”. I’m 100% sure I have NEVER heard anyone say “swum” except while we were going over that lesson.

• RealCatsFan
      12:04 pm May 27, 2020 Permalink

I’m with you, Realme. If they had done this on a street corner somewhere it would still be bad, but they took it a step further and actually went to the residence where his kids would normally be staying, while carrying weapons, while the crowd was chanting for him to come outside. If that is not threatening behavior, I don’t know what it. He should be charged with terroristic threatening, IMO.

And for the record, I thought that the people who hung the effigy of Trump were in the wrong as well, although I don’t think they did that at his residence when his kid was around. All of this political posturing accomplishes nothing – it just inflames and divides.

• CrystalBall