KSR Show Thread 5/26: Clark County Spotlight

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Tuesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will recap their Memorial Day Weekends, catch you up on whatever news there is, and shine the KSR spotlight on Clark County.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

84 Comments for KSR Show Thread 5/26: Clark County Spotlight

1. JTHinton
    10:01 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

Bundesliga (German soccer) has now played two consecutive weeks without fans. Home and away games, too โ€” no neutral venues or โ€œone-location games for all teamsโ€. Providing the template for all sports (including US) to return!

• runningunnin.454
      10:08 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

Except California and Michigan, I guess. Oh well, do we really need them?

10:09 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

I wonder how it is being received in Germany. Whether people are so happy it’s back or all mopey about the lack of fans.

2. Realme
    10:07 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

Will someone please invent a morning beverage th a t has both caffeine and motivation? Let’s fast track that one. Thanks.

• runningunnin.454
      10:10 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

Caffeine, prednisone, and Ritalin?

10:14 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

I’ll give that a try and let you know how it goes.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:16 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

Watermelon Red Bull Slush from Sonic.

• ClutchCargo
      10:17 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

Coffee does that for me. Besides the much needed caffeine boost, I really enjoy my black coffee and look forward to it every day.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:19 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

I used to drink hot sweet tea through college. When I got a real job, I switched to coffee. It just seemed like the “adult” thing to do at the time. Now I have a headache by the time KSR starts if I haven’t had my first cup yet.

10:20 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

Well blankly staring at your to do list for a half hour doesn’t do anything.

10:22 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

I am busting my azz to mark things off my “list”, but things just keep getting added to it. ๐Ÿ™

10:23 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

Never drank coffee until I started working for Humana. It was so boring that it was the only way to stay awake in the endless meetings. But I can’t drink it “hair on your chest black” like Clutch – I have to wimpify mine with French Vanilla creamer.

• ClutchCargo
      10:36 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

Diet Coke used to be my morning caffeine of choice until about 10 years ago. I decided I would be better off without all the stuff that’s in soft drinks, and coffee is something that is always widely available. At the same time, I decided I needed to learn to like it black, since I wouldn’t be able to depend on having sugar and creamer handy. That kind of required drinking something better than Folgers and Maxwell House. Fortunately there is a really good specialty coffee shop here in town where I can buy the beans I like.

10:45 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

I drink caffeinated sparkling waters, Bai, or V8 energy. But they don’t have the motivation part.

3. Realme
    10:12 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

I’m sorry but Matt needing to point out that he tweeted it out first, and knew about Oats for two weeks is really ugly. That said, I hope whatever it is he can recover completely.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:15 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

He just wanted to be the “first.” Matt seeks that attention at times I’ve seen.

Prayers for Oats.

10:17 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

I love how you point stuff like that out. Haha.

But yes, prayers for Oats. The silence about his condition is disturbing.

• ClutchCargo
      10:19 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

That “look at me” mentality, in all of its forms, is just annoying.

10:22 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

I can’t stop thinking about how the pandemic is probably keeping him from having his family around and I hate that so much.

• runningunnin.454
      10:26 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

Football team seems to be snakebit. Prayers and best wishes for the young man.

10:37 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

But yeah it was gross watching ksr writers and even a tv station being sure to give Matt credit for reporting it first. To me it never matters which media member says a thing first, but especially in a tragic case like this, it really bugs me.

10:55 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

I couldn’t care less who gets it “first”, I care who gets it “right”.

11:22 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

MJ needs to be careful. He’s a little older now, so he’s going to develop rotator cuff problems patting himself on the back the way he does.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:21 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

I will always have mixed feelings about Eddie because of what went down. But to this day, I still think we were set up. How in the hell does an Emory package just “bust open” during sorting. Ever tried to open one of those express packages? We undoubtedly had stuff going on under the covers for years, but someone set us up to get the ball rolling. Pretty sure it was Arizona behind it all. Would be nice to see that karma come back around to them, but won’t hold my breath.

• ClutchCargo
      10:26 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

I suspect it was one of those things that was a set-up that got the NCAA’s attention enough to investigate and find more stuff. Anybody else realize Leonard Hamilton stayed on with the UK staff when Eddie Sutton started here?

• runningunnin.454
      10:40 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

It was a set-up deal; but, I suspect ucla.

• CrystalBall
      1:33 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

UCLA alumni and boosters were behind it. Emery had a team of lawyers to prove in court, almost on a weekly basis, that
      their envelopes DO NOT “pop open.”

5. ClutchCargo
    10:21 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

I don’t want to bash Eddie Sutton, but Ryan seems really tone deaf when he’s talking about Sutton’s ability to get really great recruits while also referring to the recruiting scandal.

• ClutchCargo
      10:23 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

BTW, even if he had only won one game each year, he would be a legend for giving us “Little Brother.”

10:41 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

^^^This^^^

11:10 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

Right up there with Tubby saying “Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane.” ๐Ÿ™‚

6. runningunnin.454
    10:29 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

The thing I recall about Coach Sutton is that his teams at Arkansas did the run and gun thing; at UK, he seemed to lapse into the play not to lose mind set. Maybe just due to personnel.

10:47 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

That’s weird because I remember he and Rex Chapman supposedly didn’t get along well at times because Rex wanted to play a free wheeling style and Eddie was always preaching “Make the extra pass”, and was more of a walk the ball up the court type.

• ClutchCargo
      10:51 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

Your killin’ me modbot. ๐Ÿ™

10:53 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

Maybe it was partly personnel though. I know Arkansas had some talent when they had Moncrief and those guys. I remember when Arkansas beat UL with a half court shot in March.

• runningunnin.454
      10:55 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, hard to run and gun with Roger Hardin and Sean Sutton.

11:25 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

Hardin had a great year in 85-86 though! I’m especially a big fan since he followed me on Twitter. I replied to a tweet of his and got a follow right away. Haha. And I don’t even ask for that like some since I don’t do much on there anyway. And yes, I did get my first insult recently about “You and your 12 (or however many it is) followers” and I replied that “Not all of us have our self esteem tied to numbers of Twitter followers” and the same guy liked it. He was a good sport after all. lol

7. Realme
    10:30 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

My SIL was just looking forward to their stay at home order being lifted (Mich), I would be so frustrated. My other brother and his family are allowed to leave the house without having their papers checked by the police though (Romania) now, so that’s nice.

10:45 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

Did you see this? Another shining example of liberal “Rules for thee, but not for me” like the Chicago mayor, the Illinois governor, etc:

Embattled Michigan governor in hot water over hubbyโ€™s boat request

10:54 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

What?! Entitled hypocrisy from a politician (or spouse)?!?!

11:13 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

I guess they should hang their governor in effigy like the mouth-breathing morons in Kentucky did over the weekend. Way to make us look good! And some people were actually apologizing for these idiots!

11:15 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

It’s so disappointing that there are people who think doing something like that is fine.

11:17 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

No kidding. Apparently he was nice about it when the guy told him no, so there’s at least that, but still.

I forgot to add Chris Cuomo to that list, which may be the most egregious because he went to the Hamptons after he tested positive for Covid and was supposed to be isolating, and NYC is out biggest hotspot.

Anyway, all this pales in comparison to the excuse the Chicago mayor made. Among other things she said she was the face of the city and is on national news, and “I take my hygiene very seriously, so I got a haircut.” As for the rest of you, JUST STAY DIRTY YOU PEASANTS!!!

And BTW, I should point out that I know entitlement is on both sides of the aisle, but so far I’ve only heard of liberal politicians doing this sort of thing. There very may be some of all stripes who have done it but I only know about the ones I mentioned.

11:20 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

RCF, I’m on the side of people who want things opened up, but yeah, that’s obviously over the line.

11:36 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

cg, I agree, it is on both sides. Our POTUS has said he will not wear a mask because he is a public figure and basically it doesn’t look good. Great way to show leadership. To be fair, most politicians don’t wear one when they are addressing the press on TV (Beshear included), but when Trump was literally THE ONLY PERSON not wearing a mask at the Ford plant, it makes it look like he thinks his poo isn’t pungent.

If Chris Couomo knowingly put others at risk, then yes, that is egregious. Basically, we now have an aristocracy in place who think they are above all the rules.

11:41 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

Basically, when you march to the Governor’s Mansion wearing army fatigues, carrying weapons, and you make a very thinly veiled threat to someone in the presence of their family, then you are a domestic terrorist and should be treated as such.

11:59 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

Let me temper that only a bit. Yes, hanging him in effigy and all that was way over the line. However, some of the founders said we have a right to replace a government that has become tyrannical, and the 2nd Amendment was put there to protect us from the same. I have no problem with open carry, but I don’t choose to do it because I don’t want to be the first target of a bad guy, or have it taken.

12:00 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

And in this case I don’t necessarily disagree with arresting them, but I haven’t read the details so that’s not a firm opinion.

12:13 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

I think Andy might be grandstanding a bit with his daily press conferences, and yes, maybe he could open things up sooner. But to equate him with a tyrant when essentially the president advised the lockdown for public safety is a stretch at best.

8. Laker Cat 18
    10:30 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

Who is Frank and why does Matt want him with me?

10:39 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

Wait I thought Frank was Ryan’s alter ego.

9. ClutchCargo
    10:38 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

It’s distracting how Matt says “A Ell Eight.” That stuff is nasty, regardless of how you pronounce it, though.

10:42 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

It does not taste good at all. Much like Cincinnati chili, hee haw.

• ClutchCargo
      10:44 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

Hey, maybe I just need to wash down my Skyline with Ay Ell Eight! ๐Ÿ™‚

11:08 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

I’m ready for him to stop saying it now.

11:19 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

I’m not a big fan of Ginger Ell (heh) in the first place, but I bought one at Cracker Barrell once because I had to share “The Kentucky Soft Drink” with my daughter. I love the “Bluegrass in the green glass” slogan. Great marketing.

• ClutchCargo
      11:23 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

I would go with Ski as a Kentucky soft drink, but that’s just me.

11:30 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

Ski for sure! Also if you want ginger ale, man up and go for the Vernor’s. When I was a kid it wasn’t available down here and my parents always had to get it on vacations home to Mich.

11:30 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

“We’ll get a slawburger fries, and a bottle a Ski,
      Brang it oan out, to muh baby and me!”

11:32 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, that’s another memory I have of visiting my grandparents in the country. It seemed like I didn’t see Ski in Lexington but would always see it on billboards on the way to Liberty, and in the small country stores on the way and near Liberty.

• ClutchCargo
      11:38 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

cg, the music video for Dumas Walker is hilarious. The guy sitting there with a baby on his lap when he says that line cracks me up.

12:01 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

It is great.

10. runningunnin.454
    10:38 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

Does anyone remember the H3N2 pandemic in ’69? Didn’t stop Woodstock,

10:43 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

I am seriously worried that from now on every new strain of a disease will shut us down all over a again.

10:45 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

I did see that article, or one similar to it, a couple weeks ago RG. Interesting, and I think Realme is right.

11:38 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

I don’t really know how to feel about it. On the one hand, I am encouraged to see things opening back up, but seeing the free for all at places like Lake of the Ozarks makes me worry that this thing is going to rear its ugly head again with a vengeance. I hope not.

12:10 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

cg, national news had a doctor in Montgomery saying they are having a surge in COVID hospitalizations and the ICU is basically full. Fake news or real? Stay safe, brother!

11. Realme
    10:40 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

If you ride one of those bike things that has you pedaling while lying on your back, you I look like an idiot.

• ClutchCargo
      10:43 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

If your bike has to have a tall flag to keep you from getting run over by cars, it was probably a bad idea.

10:48 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

Yeah the flags don’t do anything to make them less goofy liking either.

12. ClutchCargo
    10:48 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

Yeremiah Bell is indeed a nice story. He didn’t even go straight to college out of high school due to injuries, then ended up making the Pro Bowl. Very down to earth and humble, and I’m good friends with his BIL

13. runningunnin.454
    11:17 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

Brady to Manning: “UT hasn’t been good since you left”. Of course facts are optional; UT won the national title after Manning left; the next year, I think.

14. ClutchCargo
    11:25 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

Fake crowd noise is definitely the same as a laugh track. Used to hate those.

11:28 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

Before he was POTUS, I saw Ronald Reagan on a talk show (Dinah Shore I think…you probably don’t know what that is), and he said when he did baseball on radio you could get away with spicing the game up. A routine ground ball to the shortstop could become “He dives for the ball and makes a spectacular throw!” to keep people listening.

11:39 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

Reminds me of the M A S H episode where they were broadcasting the fake baseball game on the radio. ๐Ÿ™‚

11:56 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

WHO that was not what.

I liked the cockroach races on MASH. “Hey Hawk, you goin’ to the cockroach races?” “Nah, people only go to those to see the cockroaches crash.”

15. Laker Cat 18
    11:30 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

Cherry Ale-8, Jim Beam Red Stag Black Cherry. You’ll thank me later.

16. RealCatsFan
    11:47 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

I was waiting for Matt to say “we can’t be doing that” for a minute there, talking about bars that flout social distancing.

17. ClutchCargo
    11:51 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

Fried bologna is great, but smoked bologna is on another level of awesomeness. Even smoked hot dogs (kind of the same thing, I guess) are way better than other ways of cooking them.

18. Realme
    11:55 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

How are the guys missing the main problem? Calling the cops on a black man and falsely saying he is threatening her could have gotten him shot.

• ClutchCargo
      11:57 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

I do enjoy when Karen decides to cause a scene over something stupid and it backfires on her, though.

12:02 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

Yes, that’s always nice.

19. Laker Cat 18
    11:58 am May 26, 2020 Permalink

The dog on the leash thing I understand, she was in the wrong by what she said and how she was treating her dog. With that said, why do regular folks think they can be the park police? Call park authorities and report it the right way.

12:09 pm May 26, 2020 Permalink

I can see both sides of it. Years ago, people would speak out and get involved when they see something wrong. But today, there are just so many nutjobs walking around, and social media is so ready to crucify you, that it’s just not worth it. So sadly, a lot of people just let things happen and don’t get involved. That’s why there are so many unsolved murders in West Louisville. Everyone is afraid to speak up.