KSR Show Thread 5/20: It’s Carter County Time

Before someone rolls the dice on Kentucky Sports Radio, Matt Jones, Ryan Lemond and Drew Franklin are providing you with plenty of facts about our friends from Carter County. They’ll also talk about the change in the Triple Crown, the postponement of UK’s London game and more.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

73 Comments for KSR Show Thread 5/20: It’s Carter County Time

1. RealCatsFan
    10:11 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

I am already missing my nice, easy, deserted COVID-commute into work. The morons are back out in force on I-71.

• runningunnin.454
      10:18 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

Let’s open everything up….I’m tired of this game. Give me football.

10:19 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know how you do it every day.

• Realme
      10:24 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

I’m tired of all the pre-planning for a winter surge. We’ll probably have entirely different problems by then.

2. peaches76
    10:21 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

This discussion coming from Matt…the guy who bet everything that there wouldn’t be fans in stands this year.

• Realme
      10:25 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

He only owns his takes when he’s right, so he will pretend that never happened if he was (hopefully) wrong.

10:27 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

I tuned in late (on the phone). What was being discussed?

Also, did we already have a Yahtzee? Everyone last night was saying Lovett or Jager (I forgot who the latter even is…I don’t keep up with recruiting the way some do).

10:29 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

New facts have come to light that will make him re-evaluate his original take. <- not the same as being wrong, in Matt's world.

• RealCatsFan
      10:32 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

Hmmm, kind of like out POTUS, right? Maybe Matt really does have a future in politics! πŸ™‚

10:33 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

It’s looking like football will likely start on time, but with limited fans in the stands. Now how do you decide who gets to go?

10:38 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

Is he having amnesia about his prediction? Come one! I need details! KSR and the Show Thread comments are my real life soap operas to keep up with here! Haha.

Also, considering what RCF said about politics: I think I figured out the main reason Matt snoozed me on Twitter. Someone tweeted him about being tired of the one and done thing, bring back multi-year players, that kind of thing, and Matt responded with “Okay boomer”. I pointed out that a lawyer had just used a phrase that could engender an ADEA lawsuit and linked an article from SHRM that bears that out. I guess he didn’t like that. πŸ˜‰

10:43 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

And I realize Matt was not saying that to an employee BTW, in case any of you guys are employment lawyers.

3. ClutchCargo
    10:22 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

Honestly, as a season ticket holder, I would almost rather just watch on TV if what they are talking about is the solution.

10:22 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

I do like Shannon’s idea: let the loudest fans in. I can yell really loud!

10:24 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

^ Just ask anybody in my section during the Missouri rain game. lol

10:26 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, were you also part of the cup snake group in Nashville?

10:27 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

No, I sat that one out. Didn’t go to any road games at all.

• Realme
      10:28 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

Good! As long as you’re not that guy who constantly yells about how everything the players and coaches do is wrong. Just kidding, I know that’s not you.

10:29 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

That would have been the best. lol
      I so would have gone back and tried to figure out which one you were.

10:31 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

Nope. I’m the same at games as I am on here, just louder.

10:37 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

Guys, here’s the deal. UK already has our money for the season tickets. They’re not going to refund anything. It will be a credit toward next year’s tickets, I’m guessing.

• Realme
      11:14 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

So the question of “how do they decide who gets to go?” is answered by “the season ticket holders whose money we already took.”

4. RealCatsFan
    10:28 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

Major props to whoever managed to get the governor of Mississippi to read off the name “Harry Azcrac” in the commencement ceremony. Reminds me of the SNL skit back in the early 2000’s when Robert DeNiro was portraying the Homeland Security spokesman reading off the names of Al Quada terrorists:

10:35 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

That kid is a senior prank LEGEND! lol

10:40 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

Well, Drew (or whomever) pointed out that it turned out there really was a Tupac Shakur in Kentucky.

10:42 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, but I’m praying there is not a Harry Azcrac. πŸ™‚

5. runningunnin.454
    10:38 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

Of the 9 NFL teams prohibited from opening their facilities this week, 8 are in states with Democrat governors. I wish MJ would analyze that for us.

10:45 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

Fat/slim chance (and I still don’t know how both of those mean the same thing).

• RealCatsFan
      10:51 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

Democratic governors hate football?

• runningunnin.454
      10:55 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

And, if you yell “jump” at a frog with no legs, it won’t because it can’t hear.

6. runningunnin.454
    10:52 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

If the Belmont is shorter, they surely can’t count it if a horse beats Secretariat’s record. Or… even then, can a horse actually beat that time?

11:11 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

I once read an article in the Reader’s Digest about Secretariat. You guys may have already known this but I didn’t. When they did an autopsy on him (I didn’t even know they would do that on a horse), they found that his heart was massive, like twice the normal size I think, but not diseased at all. They believed (or maybe even know?) that this was the reason, or at least one reason, he was so dominant because that heart could pump so much more blood than normal.

• runningunnin.454
      11:15 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

Secretariat won the “test of a champion” by 31 lengths over another decent horse, Sham. Actually when they raced in the Derby, both horses broke the race record.

11:19 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

Amazing.

• RealCatsFan
      11:24 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

Yep, Sham’s timing was unfortunate. Any other year he would have probably been a Triple Crown winner and would have his name in the history books. But he was totally overshadowed by the greatest racehorse in history. What a Sham-e. πŸ™‚

• runningunnin.454
      11:31 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

Actually, Secretariat had medical problems the first two legs of the Triple Crown. One was a toothache, and the other was a stomach problem. The Belmont was the only race he was 100%.

7. Realme
    11:17 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

Glad Bozich apologized to the athletes he insulted. I stand by my assertion that his hot takes were so stupid that he doesn’t deserve to be paid for them any more though.

8. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:18 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

Matt never awarded anyone the prize for “Book a Guest”? I am SHOCKED! SHOCKED I tell you! lol

• Realme
      11:20 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

Stunned. Gonna need a minute here.

11:36 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

Better comment than mine! If you’re asthmatic you’re reaching for your puffer right about now. lol

9. Realme
    11:26 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

I appreciate you all and the daily distractions you bring me. My employer is going to extreme lengths about starting back up. I would seriously consider looking into a new career instead of waiting longer, but… everything is closed. And places that need volunteers that would matter to me are working from home too of course. Driving me crazy.

11:28 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

You are most welcome, and I’m sorry that I couldn’t bring much to the table during the bird talk. Now if you wanna talk old school territory days rasslin’?

11:35 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

This is one of those things that make my days seem a little more like normal.

10. RealCatsFan
    11:26 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

Hmmm, iHeart seems to be on the blink again. πŸ™

• Realme
      11:27 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

630 on actual radio went out for me.

11. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:27 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

Was Leonard Hamilton the coach at Miami when Wall was being recruited?

• Laker Cat 18
      11:31 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

Frank Haith.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:36 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

Haith left Miami for Missouri in 2011, in 2013 the NCAA caught up to him following a 2.5 year investigation into the Miami program. Suspended the first 5 games that season. Later that same season, Missouri did an internal investigation where they ended up self-imposing sanctions…then he bolted for Tulsa. Looks like Wall and UK both dodged a bullet with Haith and Henry.

11:39 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

I totally forgot that Henry’s first name is pronounced “ZAH-vee-YAY”. How pray-TAYN-chee-yahs!

11:41 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

If Hamilton had been there, it would have been crazy if he had beaten us out for Wall. I’m generally not impressed by mix tapes because it’s so often nothing but dunks by a man among boys, but when I saw Wall’s, I was “PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE come to UK!!!” Blocking shots the way he was in addition to the circus moves. If only we could have hit the broad side of a barn against WVU and seen him hopefully for 2 more games. *sigh*

• Realme
      11:47 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

Some dummy on my Twitter said Wall shouldn’t have “blackballed” Henry because they could have won a championship with his shooting.

• RealCatsFan
      11:55 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

John Wall’s HS mixtape was legendary. Might be the best mixtape I have ever seen. My favorite part was not the dunks, but the blocked shots where he came out of nowhere and absolutely spiked the ball out of bounds.

• RealCatsFan
      11:55 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

12. Laker Cat 18
    11:28 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

This may have already been discussed on a previous show, but what are your thoughts on the NFL owners recommending teams that hire minority assistant coaches get a bump in draft pick locations?

• Realme
      11:29 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

They mean well. Seems like a can of worms though.

11:34 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

HUGE can of worms. Why not just penalize the Bengals because they fired Marvin Lewis while they’re at it? Why not just tell the Bengals this year “Sorry, we know you REALLY had your heart set on Burrow, but the Redskins (oops! The Washington football team) just hired a minority, so…”.

I have no idea who the Redskins coach is…that was just a “what if”.

11:46 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

Anthony Lynn, coach of the Chargers, said it best: β€œI think sometimes you can do the wrong thing while trying to do the right thing,”

11:56 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

Good point Clutch.

13. runningunnin.454
    11:33 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

They made a movie about “Ode to Billy Joe” by Bobbi Gentry.

11:35 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

Robbie Benson starred. He also starred in “One on One”, a pretty good college bball movie.

11:45 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

He was given all kinds of benefits against the rules. In one scene he showed up to work on a grounds crew watering the grass, and the boss yelled at him for being late or something on the first day. Then when the guy was walking away, a bunch of sprinklers turned on. Benson was puzzled and the guy smiled and cracked some joke, and Benson knew he was being paid for doing nothing.

• runningunnin.454
      11:52 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

And, you just know One on One was about UCLA, right? I mean…Western University ha ha.

11:56 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

I guess I didn’t think about it at the time, but it makes sense! I didn’t know about Sam Gilbert then.

14. Realme
    11:44 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

We don’t own a computer either. Our last one was going weeks without being used, because other devices are more convenient, so why replace it when it died.

11:46 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

I just find an iPad very limiting, and I have lots of videos and stuff on the PC. Plus, if my employer ends the iPad program I no longer have one if I don’t buy one.

• Realme
      11:48 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

Don’t get me wrong, I’d be using it now that I don’t have access to my work computer.

11:48 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

Tablets and the like are a necessary evil for me. I am on a laptop right now, and anytime I have that option.

15. Realme
    11:50 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

I hope Matt keeps hosting these announcements until someone trolls us by picking a different school, lol.

11:55 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

I was thinking the same thing. Wow. I thought, what if he picked UL?

16. ClutchCargo
    11:51 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

I know we’re not going to build an SEC football juggernaut just with in-state talent, but I’m glad to see that North Hardin pipeline continue. Coach Thompson has built a nice HS program there.

17. ClutchCargo
    11:53 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

Matt really wants to give Ryan grief because he didn’t hint to us that he knew something but couldn’t tell us until today.

18. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:54 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

They need to have a sound effect of a Yahtzee roll when guys commit on the show! Or have a bell/horn sound and a crowd screaming or something.

19. ClutchCargo
    11:55 am May 20, 2020 Permalink

Where can I go and take those points vs Louisville right this minute???