KSR Show Thread 5/17: Live from the Ronald McDonald House

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Friday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang is at the Ronald McDonald House in Lexington to support the wonderful work the organization is doing in the community. If you’re in the area, please come by to enjoy the show and bring some of the donation items they’ve asked for:

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

85 Comments for KSR Show Thread 5/17: Live from the Ronald McDonald House

1. runningunnin.454
    10:06 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

Watched a good little movie last night called “50 to 1” about Mine That Bird’s Derby victory. Have to say they successfully captured the pageantry of the Derby in relating one of the greatest upsets in Derby history. Mine That Bird exploded from last place to blow by the other horses like they were standing still, to win by 6 lengths. And there was no stewards’ decisions and drama at the end, lol.

10:59 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

That was one of the most amazing Derby finishes in history.

2. Some of you may remember when I posted a link about a rare yellow cardinal being spotted in Alabama. Well, he apparently is a daddy now (this article is actually about a year old but I just saw it the other day):

Rare yellow cardinal appears to be a father

10:22 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

Gonna need you to keep following and let me know if the babies end up being yellow.

10:31 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

Neat!

• I haven’t seen a follow up to know if they are, but another yellow cardinal was spotted in Theolore, AL (down near Mobile):

• BTW, Theodore is home to an amazing place called Bellingrath Gardens:

I still haven’t been after all these years. Maybe one day.

• ClutchCargo
      10:50 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

I didn’t use to know much at all about birds until my wife started getting into setting up some nice bird feeders in the back yard and learning all she could about the various birds in the area. I kind of got sucked in, and at least I can identify by sight, flight pattern and sound the different types of woodpeckers we have. A yellow cardinal would be a big hit at our house. Ha!

10:51 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

Let’s get that yellow card gene introduced in Louisville.

• StillBP
      10:55 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

Real I’d be happy if they just stopped it with the teeth

10:59 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

Clutch you’d have birders from all over the region at your house.

11:01 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

I would like to have a bird feeder, but I feel like I would just be baiting the trap for our cat.

• ClutchCargo
      11:03 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

It would be like the Western KY solar eclipse crowd all over again. Ok, maybe not quite that extreme.

11:04 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

When you make your future cats indoor only, they will love a bird feeder near a nice comfy window.

• ClutchCargo
      11:18 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

A hidden benefit of having a bird feeder is the entire food chain that eventually shows up in your back yard. I have a great squirrel baffle on the pole, but they like to sit under the feeder and eat whatever falls to the ground. And there are foxes in my neighborhood. You haven’t lived until you have seen a mama fox chasing a squirrel straight toward the house. Foxes are stealthy and very fast, but squirrels are just a little bit quicker and have as close to 360 degree field of vision as an animal can have.

11:27 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

Realme, I really hope I can pull that off, but it will be tough with the dog constantly going in and out. It’s like a revolving door at our house.

11:28 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

A bird feeder for indoor cats is like Cat TV. A bird feeder with outdoor cats is just unfair. Cats are adorable furry little assassins.

11:33 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

If you keep them inside from a young age, and provide plenty of indoor enrichment, it is very doable. I could open my doors, but mine would just look without crossing the threshold. Previous cats that we used to take outside on harnesses always tried to escape, but my current ones, who I never took outside, are happy to stay where they are.

• grammarpoliceUK
      3:06 pm May 17, 2019 Permalink

Can’t be too rare. There’s all kinds of yellow cardinals over in Louisville! lol

3. It’ll be a long time before we know if we get Boston. However, my sources say they have more than a feeling he’ll pick UK. His mama told him, once he makes his decision, don’t look back. Once he makes it, he’ll have peace of mind and will be feelin’ satisfied. He was overheard telling Cal “There’s something about you”. However, he also told Cal and the Cats fans they should cool the engines.

4. So I saw on the top 10 tweets something about a funny Alex Legion story yesterday on the show. I’ve been covered up this week. Can someone recap it in a nutshell?

10:27 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

I was only half listening, but I think it was just the usual love triangle with Billy Clyde thing.

10:32 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

I must have missed it. I missed parts of the show yesterday because I was running around like a chicken with it’s head cut off at work.

11:02 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

J-Dub, today it’s my turn to fill that role.

5. runningunnin.454
    10:35 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

Maybe McDaniels would rather play in an intimate venue of 6,000 fans. I hear they have red checkered seats, candlelight, and Chianti to promote that special mood.

10:36 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

Or he wants one last year near home. I don’t know why Matt thinks that’s weird.

10:40 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

It may hold 6,000, but I doubt that’s how many actually go to games. He can enjoy playing in front of tens of fans!

• runningunnin.454
      10:47 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

It actually holds 10,000, but is seldom full. I’m a huge basketball fan; but, if I were in Seattle, would I go to a Huskies game? Or, enjoy their exhilarating diverse nightlife?

10:52 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

Washington loses a lot. Even when they had Markelle Fultz, they only won 9 games.

10:53 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

You’d think Fultz’s season would be a cautionary tale for McDaniels.

• ClutchCargo
      10:54 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

Fortunately, Terrence Jones came to his senses just in time to say yes to Cal. If Daniels ends up coming to UK, will that just piss off Emmert even more?

10:59 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

Last season they were 21-13, 10-8 in the weak PAC 12, and didn’t get into the tournament. They consistently get decent talent, but don’t do anything with it.

11:03 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

Realme, I can honestly see that. I can also see why parents might sometimes want their kids to stay closer to home. It’s going to be rough on me when my oldest leaves for college about this time next year. Sniff, sniff…

• ClutchCargo
      11:09 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

That’s about to happen for me THIS year, RCF. I have never been the type of parent to want my kids frozen in time and not grow up, but this reality is going to be tough on me.

12:17 pm May 17, 2019 Permalink

I guess we eventually have grandkids to look forward to…

6. Realme
    10:38 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

I would argue that Jojo Kemp was the first to solidify Stoops’ future here by beating SC by himself.

7. Realme
    10:38 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

What did Lee Cruise say?

10:41 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

I don’t know. I’ll have to go look it up.

• runningunnin.454
      10:41 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

Love when they talk about something without really talking about it.

10:46 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

I just watched the video. He thought it was funny that someone in the UK tweeted a photo pretending the new royal baby was a chimpanzee. I haven’t seen the photo but there was a big backlash due to it being racist. Seemed like Lee just thought replacing the royal baby with an animal was hilarious, and didn’t have any sense of it being racially gross. I don’t think he said anything bad, he just didn’t get it.

• runningunnin.454
      10:49 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

Oh, boy, here’s another story they’re really not going to talk about. But it doesn’t exist, whatever it is.

10:54 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

People trying to defend the racist photo are ignoring the fact that the guy didn’t put out a photo like that for and of William and Kate’s three kids, just Harry and Megan’s, when Megan is mixed.

10:54 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

*any of, not and of

10:57 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

That makes sense Jdub. As someone who doesn’t care about the royal family at all, that didn’t cross my mind. May not have for Lee either.

11:05 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

In today’s climate people have to by hypersensitive to not go near the third rail of publicity that is race.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:54 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

So who is this yap that they are taking up half the show with?

10:55 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

I don’t know. Nor do I know what he was trying to say. He kept using Kentucky and Washington interchangeably.

• ClutchCargo
      10:56 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

I guess they have to fill up the two hours somehow, but they waste too much time on some of these yahoos and cut off decent callers too quickly sometimes.

9. Realme
    11:03 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

Have you guys heard that Lexington no longer accepts paper for recycling? Throwing office paper in the trash feels horrible, but my employer hasn’t been able to locate an alternative recycler so that’s what we’re doing. Filling up landfills with office paper, newspaper, non corrugated cardboard, etc.

• ClutchCargo
      11:06 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

Maybe something like Shred-it? You guys may not deal with sensitive information, so it may not be cost effective to do that.

11:06 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

We routinely toss cardboard boxes in the dumpster. I wish I could find someone to pick it up and recycle it.

11:11 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

We are a large organization and despite being very eco minded, go through a huge amount of paper. But it feels just as bad at home…

• StillBP
      11:13 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

I feel bad throwing my junk mail in the regular trash at home. But that’s what I gotta do for now. I didn’t sit my recycle trash out earlier this week and I just heard the news a couple of days ago, so my recycling bin has paper in it already. I’m not going thru it to get it out.

11:18 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

Yeah I put mine out this week with paper that was already there and they took it. I’m not digging in one of those giant cans unless my cats push a set of keys into the recycling bin again. 🙂

10. J-Dub421
    11:20 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

The “Big Dog” has a voice for radio.

• ClutchCargo
      11:23 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

Agree. I can see why recruits and their families are so receptive to him. Man, I’m so ready for football!

11:27 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

Stoops and we are lucky to have him.

11:28 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

Love me some Big Dawg. I laughed out loud when he said he had to go down to da ville and “clean things up.” 🙂

• ClutchCargo
      11:31 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

I would love to have Big Dog and Jared Lorenzen just talk football on the show sometime.

• runningunnin.454
      11:32 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

Or a drill sergeant, “You’re soft, you’re weak, drop and give me fifty”.

11. RealCatsFan
    11:39 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

The fact that not only Marrow, but multiple other coaches have spoken negatively about Bobby Neckbrace speaks volumes about how big a peckerhead he is. These guys normally have a lot of respect for each other and are careful to not say anything negative about their peers. It just shows just how low the moral standards were at University Six under Tommy Turtleneck.

11:40 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

And that being said, I think Tyra is doing an excellent job cleaning things up and making some good hires. Yeah, I am a UK fan first, but we need a healthy rivalry with Louisville to add spice to sports in our state.

11:41 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

I’ve known Petrino was garbage for a while now. Coach Brooks hates him, and Papa Brooks likes everyone and is super nice.

• ClutchCargo
      11:47 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

It almost makes me a little sad that I don’t really have anyone at UofL to strongly dislike anymore. I guess the women’s bball coach annoys me, but I don’t really care about him and he doesn’t seem shady.

12. J-Dub421
    11:40 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

I hope Terry saw that article yesterday. I hope it makes him mad because that was some serious disrespect. And I hope he crams it in people’s faces next season, and I think he will.

13. runningunnin.454
    11:40 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

Video of what? Good grief.

11:45 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

I don’t know, but sounds like in addition to leaving work to get your charger, one can also get drunk at his workplace.

11:49 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

It was about the secret Jaden McDaniels recording again.

11:52 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

What does the recording supposedly say, Jdub? I was watching the Lee Cruise video.

11:56 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

I don’t know, it was the unintelligible guy from earlier.

14. RealCatsFan
    11:41 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

Are we ever going to get our “like buttons” back again? 🙁

11:42 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

I know, I miss them.

11:44 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

Like.

• ClutchCargo
      11:44 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

I would like this comment if I could.

• runningunnin.454
      11:45 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

Need a “hate it” button, too. I would hitting that thing like a snare drum.

11:48 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

YES RG!

11:53 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

A thumbs up and a thumbs down button. I would love to downvote some trolls.

• StillBP
      11:54 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

I guess Mitch McConnell’s hackers took them.

11:57 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

It was Tom Jurich.

• StillBP
      12:02 pm May 17, 2019 Permalink

Tom and Mitch are probably buds

12:19 pm May 17, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, and after about 20 thumbs down, the comment goes away and the troll gets banned.

15. ClutchCargo
    11:43 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

I have a good friend whose brother was a standout football player for UK back in the 90’s, and my friend’s son goes to Douglass HS and looks the part of a solid WR prospect. Great blood lines on both sides of the family, so who knows.

16. runningunnin.454
    11:53 am May 17, 2019 Permalink

Voting is a privilege and a duty; women had to fight for it, African Americans fought (and died) for it, and now no one votes; sad.

12:21 pm May 17, 2019 Permalink

Apathy allows tyrants to get a foothold.