KSR Show Thread 5/13: Calloway County Spotlight

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Wednesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will discuss the latest on when sports will come back and shine the KSR County Spotlight on Calloway County in Western Kentucky. If you’re from the area, call in with a fun or unique fact to share.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

101 Comments for KSR Show Thread 5/13: Calloway County Spotlight

1. Realme
    10:16 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Somebody better start talking or I’m going to start listing the birds I’ve seen this week

10:23 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Hey, we spotted two new ones at the bird feeder this week: blue grosbeak and gray catbird.

• Bluehender
      10:24 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

I’m seeing a lot of robins around my house. An occasional hummingbird

10:25 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

We’ve got a quail…he said bob white all day yesterday.

10:29 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Hey, any positive subject, even if slightly mundane to some, is a good thing. I like birds BTW, so not so mundane to moi.

10:32 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Love a bird that meows! I’ve seen a ton of indigo buntings, but it’s possible some of those were blue grosbeaks and I just don’t get a good enough look. Robins with their babies are everywhere. I’ve never lured hummingbirds to my current house, but love them, and haven’t seen any quails or such before.

I was at the Legacy Trail the other day and walking back to the car a little disappointed, when a black throated blue warbler (the more syllables in a bird name the nerdier it sounds) just popped out like hello, look at me. New life bird.

10:36 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

I never really knew or cared anything about birds until we moved to our current house a few years ago and put up a bird feeder. My wife got a bird field guide (for lack of a better term) and we learned how little we knew before then. It’s hilarious how territorial those hummingbirds are around that hummingbird feeder. And one will always buzz around me if I step out on the deck wearing a bright red Cincinnati Reds shirt (I wear red this time of year, sue me).

• 4everUKBlue
      10:37 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Anyone seen a Pileated Woodpecker? The everywhere down here in the country.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:39 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

*they’re

10:40 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Finally saw them at Raven Run before the coronapocalypse 4ever. Had been wanting to see them and red headed forever and finally found both this year.

10:40 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

This is more exotic than the birds you all are talking about, but check out the Kea. It’s the only mountain parrot according to a post from a friend on Facebook.

10:41 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

I was telling my mom about those woodpeckers, and she said “I love those peckers!” Repeatedly.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:41 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

They are magnificent. One flew into the tree I was sitting under, I had no idea how big they are. They’re very skittish and hard go get close too.

• Bluehender
      10:42 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, you’re right about those hummingbirds. They chase each other from the feeder all the day long..

10:43 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

We have red headed and pileated wp’s here in our back yard. The pileated wp is very shy, so we usually only see them from a distance.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:45 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

A bird built a nest in my parents’ garage but I can’t get a good enough look at it to see what it is. I decided to let her sit on her nest, just now sure what’s going to happen once they hatch. I studied birds in my youth so I can recognize most birds around this region as well as their calls and how they fly.

10:47 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

RM, tell her not to ever say that out in public when you’re with her, ha ha.

10:47 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Chris, that’s weird, but cool. There are flocks of parrots in o t her places, but they are not naturally occurring, they started from escaped pets. San Franciso I think.

10:49 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

My sainted grandpa could whistle all kinds of bird calls. It was amazing, and I can’t whistle at all.

A friend of mine caught some video of a mama bird (not sure what kind…it looks like a mockingbird except it’s brownish instead of gray) feeding her babies in his yard the other day and posted it on FB. Amazing.

Speaking of mockingbirds, how aggressive are they? That’s an ornery bird.

10:50 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

RG, I just let it go. Hopefully she won’t have any wp conversation in public.

10:50 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Real, I knew a man who is now passed who was stationed in New Zealand when he was in the military. He said it was amazing to look up and see a flock of parakeets flying overhead.

10:51 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Prob brown thrasher Chris. they are the same family and do the mimicry.

10:57 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

We have a red shouldered hawk nest in the back yard. I can see the mama feeding the babies several times per day. Yesterday afternoon four grackles decided to gang up and start swooping at the nest. They flew away eventually and everybody was fine, but it’s weird how mad I got about that.

10:59 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Real, I think you’re right. I just did an image search. I thought maybe that’s what they were but I’m no bird expert.

11:02 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Wow, baby hawks! Do they look like this guy?

11:17 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Haha! They’re lighter in color than that one, but yeah. There is a mini farm with some chickens about 200 yards from our house, so…

11:28 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Foghorn and the chicken hawk is my dad’s favorite cartoon ever.

2. Laker Cat 18
    10:26 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

I’ve liked Nickel Creek for over a decade. My kind of relaxing music.

10:28 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

They are awesome. Too bad they don’t really fit any genre that gets radio play. The CD that has that song they just played on the show was like a magic sleeping pill for my daughter as a baby, especially in the car.

10:30 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Ahhhhhh, I just tuned in! Did I miss a Nickel Creek bumper song? I love them. I’ve seen them twice and got their autographs on a CD.

10:31 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, bumper song, plus some discussion of Chris Thile, who I didn’t know is from Murray.

10:34 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

They were extremely nice and accommodating to the fans, and Chris Tile has a tremendous voice. He took Garrison Keilor’s (sp?) place as host of “Prairie Home Companion”, but I don’t know if that show’s still going after the accusations against Keilor (it’s not on here in Montgomery any more for sure). I think he has stayed on as a writer because it was still his vehicle, so I think the show may have bitten the dust.

Anyway, I know Matt hated that show, but I liked it. BTW, my wife was with Matt. She hated it too. lol

10:37 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

HAD stayed on…

I didn’t know Tile was from Kentucky either. When I first heard them was actually on PHC ironically enough. When Garrison introduced them he said they were from San Diego (maybe the other 2 were, or they had moved there). I remember him joking about them singing some sad bluegrass songs and saying “You live in San Diego. You have no right to sing those songs!”.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:41 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Different type of music somewhat, but I’m on a Muscadine Bloodline kick right now. Some of their stuff has that similar relaxing touch to it.

10:43 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Some tv station is advertising a Laurel Canyon music documentary that I want to see. They’ve been advertising for a month; but, it doesn’t come on until May 31…talk about keeping me in suspense.

10:49 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

rg, having something to look forward to right now is a good thing. πŸ™‚ I’ll have to check out Muscadine Bloodline.

10:53 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

RG, let us know about that. That way I might be able to catch it if it’s on cable and/or streaming.

• 4everUKBlue
      10:53 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

RG if you’re interested in the Laurel Canyon music scene you should read Dave McGowan’s book “Weird Scenes Inside the Canyon”. He did some pretty extensive research, very interesting.

11:02 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Thanks 4ever, I’ll look for that. I forget which tv network it is; but, I’ll let y’all know when I see the ad again.

• Irwin R. Fletcher
      4:48 pm May 13, 2020 Permalink

Doubt anyone willever see this, as it’s later in the day…. but Thile is from Southern California, just like Sean & Sara Watkins (guitar & fiddle). That’s where they met & began their musical partnership as children. However, Thile moved to Murray @ 9-10 years old, as his dad got a job at Murray State. He now lives in NYC. The Watkins still live in SoCal. They all have their own musical projects away from Nickel Creek, which are worth checking out as well….

Nickel Creek on NPR Tiny Desk Concert after their most recent release (2014)

Watkins Family Hour NPR Tiny Desk

Thile’s Punch Brothers NPR Tiny Desk

Also, “Praire Home Companion” was renamed “Live From Here” following the Keillor debacle. Thile took over when Keillor retired & has been the host since 2016. It airs weekly (usually Sundays) on NPR stations.

3. Bluehender
    10:33 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

It’s a cool miserable day in Henderson. My wife calls it “gloomy.”

10:35 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Good day to get out and walk if you like sharing the paths with other people.

10:36 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

*don’t like. dagnabbitt

• Bluehender
      10:40 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

It would be Realme..

4. Laker Cat 18
    10:39 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

The coach firing is old. This isn’t new. Other districts started it two weeks ago.

10:43 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Was that high school level? I was too busy blabbering about birds to hear what they said.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:46 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Yes. Pulaski started sending those letters out a couple weeks back. I haven’t received mine, but I will I’m sure. It won’t affect assistants as bad, but the head coaches will lose a bigger chunk of their salaries.

5. ClutchCargo
    10:39 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

The idea of hotdog “sauce” makes me want to throw up. And that’s coming from someone who will happily eat Skyline at any opportunity.

10:46 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Don’t tell that to fans of Chris’ Hot Dogs here in Montgomery. It’s a little downtown place that’s over 100 years old and has always been in the same Greek family. When I tried it I thought the sauce was just okay, not great. I don’t know what all is in it but as I recall it tasted to me like ketchup with some “wistah” or soy sauce, and I think a little vinegar or mustard. It’s been a long time though.

10:51 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think the Calloway County hot dog sauce is that kind of sauce, though. Chris’ Hot Dogs sounds like a shameless plug to me. πŸ˜‰

10:52 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Haha. I’m not Greek.

10:57 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

What is their sauce in CC?

11:03 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Not quite sure. Sounds more like a Hormel chili-type concoction than a thin sauce. Again, I have no right to criticize stuff like that, given some of my other food preferences.

11:19 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

The stuff that kroger calls hot dog sauce is chili.

11:22 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

It’s just thick with no beans and the meat is finely ground.

11:29 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Canned chili is disgusting IMO. To each his own.

6. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:52 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

RG, did you see my post about Route 66? I don’t know about Android, but I found 2 or 3 Route 66 apps in the Apple App Store. Maybe one of them would help you with your trip if you guys have smartphones.

10:57 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Thanks, that’s helpful…takes a lot more planning now than my trip in ’74. There are some bridges that are condemned and closed, a large stretches are now just dirt roads. The sad thing is that there are many towns on 66 that were thriving in the ’50’s, and when I40 skipped them, they just died and became ghost towns.

11:06 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

I assume anything like this that was published in the last couple years would help. My aunt and cousin did a big chunk last year out of Chicago. Not sure if they made it to the sad parts.

11:09 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

I have Natalie Cole’s CD “Unforgettable” which is a tribute to her dad’s music if you don’t know. It is great, and her rendition of that song is great. Now I have to listen to it today.

11:12 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Thanks, RM that will help. No, Chicago and St. Louis didn’t suffer the same fate as OK, TX, NM, and AZ.

11:13 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

RG, stop at “Pop’s Diner” on your trip. View this video from my Google Drive. I use it in an online management class:

11:23 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Will do, Chris. I’m going to make a point of staying at the Oatman, AZ hotel where Clark Gable and Carol Lombard spent their honeymoon. I understand there are wild burros freely roaming the streets there.

11:24 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

We expect you to check in from the road.

11:26 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Will do, but it will be a while…after the madness.

11:26 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Oh that would be great!

“Where In The World Is runningunnin.454?”

11:29 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Probably lost, ha ha.

11:39 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Yes, RG on Route 66 is a benchmark for when life is normal again. Like sports and my job opening back up.

7. runningunnin.454
    10:53 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Do they have good football teams in California?

10:57 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

They used to!

I say play without them…but I don’t think that’s going to happen now.

8. Laker Cat 18
    10:53 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

I mentioned starting Hellier on Amazon last week. Early in Season 2 now….HOLY CRAP, they just got to Somerset. I’m scared to go outside and mingle with people now.

10:59 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Gonna binge that next time Amazon offers me a free trial for sure. We are 3 ep’s into The Last Dance. SO good.

11:06 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

I’m just starting season 2 of Deadwood, but I have already recommended Hellier to a neighbor, and I will start that one pretty soon.

• 4everUKBlue
      11:27 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Bluehender, I don’t think he was forced out but he may have felt his playing time was not going to increase enough for his liking.

• 4everUKBlue
      11:31 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Reply fail, that was meant for Bluehender.

9. 4everUKBlue
    10:55 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

I wonder if Juzang regrets transferring to UCLA now.

11:01 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

oof.

11:02 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Was he going to have to sit out anyways?

11:04 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

It seems our guys that transfer get waivers; hope we get the same consideration…but not holding my breath.

• Bluehender
      11:05 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

4ever is it possible that Juzang coulda been forced out? Like, under the radar..With the talent that we have coming in?

• 4everUKBlue
      11:06 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

I’m not sure if he has to sit out or not, being as he’s transferring from KY and not to KY he will probably eligible immediately.

11:11 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Ugh, that’s so true.

• 4everUKBlue
      11:34 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Bluehender, I don’t think he was forced out but he may have felt his playing time was not going to increase enough for his liking….but I guess it’s possible.

10. Realme
    11:16 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

I wonder if I’ll be desperate enough to watch baseball. Probably not.

11:20 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

My baseball fandom is pretty much limited to the Reds. I can’t just sit down and watch two random teams play, like I can with football or basketball.

11:27 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

I would probably watch curling now.

11. Realme
    11:23 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Wonder what happens to Jon Short when his mother passes.

11:30 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Who was it that passed? I didn’t quite hear yesterday.

11:41 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

His brother.

12. ClutchCargo
    11:23 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Well, this diversion from reality this morning has been nice. Now it’s time to roll up my sleeves and figure out how to take the doors off my POS 5 year old fridge so it will fit through the door to take out in the garage. Lowe’s is going to deliver the new one this afternoon, but they don’t do setup or anything during this &^%$ pandemic.

11:25 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

My new rule of thumb for appliances: if they make a good TV, their kitchen appliances are probably garbage.

11:31 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

YouTube is your friend. It’s helped me immensely with some minor things with the cars and the house.

11:33 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

That’s my go-to resource for anything like that. I’m just irritated that I have to do this, so let me be mad for a little while.

13. 4everUKBlue
    11:33 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Anyone been watching Yellowstone? Season three starts June 17, can’t wait, one of the best shows on tv IMO.

11:36 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

I have not, but it looks promising. I’ll check it out for sure.

11:38 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

I haven’t watched it; but I’ve seen the ads. Costner was good in the Hatfield-McCoy thing.

• Bluehender
      11:54 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Is it on Netflix?

• 4everUKBlue
      12:05 pm May 13, 2020 Permalink

It’s on the Paramount channel, excellent show.

14. ClutchCargo
    11:42 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

Ryan and Shannon make good points. The creepy guy taking pics of women in public is definitely creepy, but outlawing that would have unintended consequences. I reserve the right to confront the guy in a not so nice way if he does that to my wife or daughter, though.

11:52 am May 13, 2020 Permalink

I missed that. He’d be getting lots of middle fingers from me. Not legal if he posts them anywhere, I’d think.

1:43 pm May 13, 2020 Permalink

He claimed it was just for his own use or whatever and not for distribution. That makes it way creepier, in my opinion.