KSR Show Thread 4/8: Lee Cruse joins the crew

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Matt’s on vacation, so Ryan and Drew are bringing in his Hey Kentucky! cohost Lee Cruse to get the week started off right. Tune in to hear the trio talk about their weekends, basketball, and whatever else their hearts desire.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

57 Comments for KSR Show Thread 4/8: Lee Cruse joins the crew

1. ClutchCargo
    10:07 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

Good call getting Lee on the show. I saw him doing stand-up comedy a couple of years ago, and he was pretty good at it.

• Realme
      10:12 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

I could care less about popular culture, but I listen to their podcast because Lee and Tomlin are hilarious together. Especially when they try to decipher rap lyrics.

• runningunnin.454
      11:05 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

Eh, what’s so hard about deciphering b*tch, ho, f this, and f that? Hee haw!

2. Realme
    10:15 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

I don’t like people who pick against UK in their brackets.

• ClutchCargo
      10:20 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

That’s why I do two brackets in any pool that allows it. My UK, from my heart, bracket is busted, but my rational Virginia bracket wins if Virginia wins. So I have a couple hundred rea$on$ to have done that. πŸ™‚ I try to pick what I think will happen, and then cheer for what I want to happen. Then I’m happy either way.

• Realme
      10:20 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

I guess I half don’t like you then, Clutch.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:21 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

No offense Clutch but I’m really hoping TTU wins, can’t stand to see any ACC team win.

• Realme
      10:22 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

Hard to cheer fro a red team, but I will, for that reason, Iam.

• ClutchCargo
      10:24 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

That’s fine, too. I’m just hoping for a good game. If the unthinkable happens, and an ACC team wins a title, I’m a winner too.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:27 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

Agreed Realme, any team who wears red is nearly impossible to cheer for, IU and UL come to mind immediately. TTU has no history that I know about so I can deal with cheering for them…this time.

• Realme
      10:30 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

And Wescornsyn.

• Realme
      10:30 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

*that was for RG.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:32 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

Can’t believe I forgot Wescornsyn.

• J-Dub421
      10:35 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

I’m not gonna lie, I will laugh really hard if Rick Barnes bails on UT. Most of their good players are leaving. I don’t think they have a lot of good recruits coming in either. He could ditch them and leave the cupboard bare on his way out.

• runningunnin.454
      10:36 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

Thank you, Realme.
      And, Clutch; Nathaniel Hawthorne said, “No man, for any considerable period of time, may wear one face to himself, and another to the multitude, without eventually becoming bewildered as to which is true”.
      I think that means, always be true to oneself…and UK. Maybe, I wasn’t an English major ha ha ha.

• ClutchCargo
      10:39 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

I’ll just zero in on the phrase “considerable period of time” and argue that 3 weeks isn’t a considerable amount of time. So it’s all good! πŸ™‚

• Hey, my Reds wear red! And of course they’re awful.

• ClutchCargo
      10:52 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

The Reds were my first though, cg. But I may stop admitting that in public. In fairness, the Cubs and a few other good teams are also off to a bad start, but they will pick it up eventually. Not so sure about the Deadlegs.

3. ClutchCargo
    10:37 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

Starting a basketball game at 9:20 on a Monday night is just asinine.

• J-Dub421
      10:39 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

Agreed. Especially when it’s the only one on.

• RealCatsFan
      10:46 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

Yep. Some of us have to get up for work the next morning.

• ClutchCargo
      10:49 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

Staying up until midnight isn’t out of the ordinary for me, but my youngest kid, who loves watching basketball, has to go to bed shortly after this one starts.

• runningunnin.454
      10:52 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

Hey, RCF, you were talking last week about working on your cars. I’m afraid the automobile industry has passed me by. I’m from the era that you popped the hood, and looked down, and you could see the ground…Ha ha.
      Reminds me the Chuck Berry song, I think Maybelline, “the rain was blowing up under the hood, and I knew that was doin’ my motor good”.

• ClutchCargo
      10:55 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

rg, you just reminded me how annoying it is to drop a tool when you’re under the hood, and then you have to try to fish it out instead of just picking it up off the floor.

• runningunnin.454
      10:58 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

Yep, and first, you have to see where it went.

• RealCatsFan
      11:01 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

rg, you aren’t kidding about that. You just about need an electrical engineering degree to work on cars today. I worry about all the extra bells and whistles the newer cars have on them. I see it as more stuff to go wrong – very expensive stuff. The real problem is when people of limited means need to buy a car that is 10 or 15 years old, and something fails on it. They can’t fix it by themselves, and they are usually looking at thousands of dollars to have someone do it. Years ago, they could fix it themselves or have a shade tree mechanic do it on the cheap. Now it is probably smarter to junk it and find another car.

Case in point – we have an SUV that has the automatic leveling system with air bags that inflate under the rear axle. The bags were starting to leak, so I put new ones in. Now the pump appears to have gone south, and a new one will run about $800 if I get it from Toyota. I simply cannot justify spending that much on a 15 year old vehicle with 240K on it. So now I’m going to have to spend a bunch of time I don’t have figuring out a solution. πŸ™

• RealCatsFan
      11:03 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

Clutch, that is one of the basic rules of mechanics – if you drop a tool, it will immediately roll to the most inaccessible location possible.

4. They want the west coast TV market I guess.

5. CatBlue in LR
    10:50 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

Somebody else probably already pointed this out–sorry, I didn’t take time to read all the comments–but Pelphrey was at South Alabama, not South Florida, before going to Arkansas.

6. Reply fail, but it’s this browser today. Anyway, just checking in for a second. Off today for a checkup and sitting at Dunkin Donuts before heading back home. Surgical oncologist says everything looks clear from my melanoma he removed. Checkup in another 3 months. Go brilliant surgical oncologists, and go Cats!

• RealCatsFan
      10:54 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

So very glad to hear this, cg! God is great! Blessings to you going forward.

• Realme
      10:56 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

That’s great Chris. Enjoy the rest of your day off.

• ClutchCargo
      11:00 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

Great to hear, cg! Melanoma is one of those sneaky dangerous kinds of cancer if it goes undetected.

• J-Dub421
      11:21 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

That’s great! Congrats!

• RealCatsFan
      11:28 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

Hmmm, starting to think about where our friend Weneedpitino came from. πŸ™‚

• ClutchCargo
      11:33 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

That’s funny, RCF. Is it a coincidence that weneedpitino and BoB haven’t been heard from for awhile, starting around the same time?

• J-Dub421
      11:37 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

BoB can go away permanently and take some of the other trolls with him.

• RealCatsFan
      12:03 pm April 8, 2019 Permalink

HaHa, I was facetiously referring to the way that cg worded his post, with the “go brilliant surgical oncologists…” Sounds like something wnp would say. I kind of got the feeling that wnp was one of our regulars good-naturedly pulling our leg.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:54 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

They had a “tournament” at KIVA, the facility where I coach juniors club volleyball, and both of my kids got paid to keep score. It was actually pretty cool – all of the big regional Div I schools were represented, including UK, UL, IU, Murray St, NKU, Ohio State, Tenn, Illinois. It was a blast to watch some real high level athletes in action, up close. And perhaps coolest of all, when I walked in and went up to my younger daughter, she whispered to me, “Nick Richards is here”. Sure enough, I went over to Court 4, and there he was standing courtside. I walked over right next to him, not even 5 feet away. Obviously he was there to watch his girlfriend, Leah Edmund, who is a stud athlete in her own right. When there was a break in the action, I said to Nick, “Dude, you really need to grow a set and play like a real man when you are out there!”

Not really. πŸ™‚ I actually said, “man, I sure wish you guys were playing tonight”, to which he replied, “yeah, me too.” Not wanting to sound like a total goober 54 year old fan-boy, I simply left it with “good luck next year!” He did seem like a nice guy, no air of arrogance around him at all. Very reserved and well-spoken. The whole thing was pretty cool, and my kids had an absolute blast working the tournament. And they each made $70 doing it! πŸ™‚

• Realme
      10:57 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

What a cool experience for your girls.

• RealCatsFan
      11:06 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

You really don’t appreciate how tall a 7-footer is until you are standing right next to one. He has to duck going through doorways.

• J-Dub421
      11:26 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

That’s awesome! Hopefully Nick (and the rest of the guys) get enough good fan interactions like yours to balance out all the jerks online. (I also secretly hope Nick and Leah get married, have tall kids, and send them to play for UK.)

• RealCatsFan
      11:30 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

J-dub, absolutely! Can you imagine the genetic lottery winners their kids could be? The boys will be on our men’s basketball team, and the girls can play for UK Hoops or UK Volleyball! πŸ™‚

8. CatBlue in LR
    10:59 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

Correcting an earlier misstatement: Pelphrey was at South Alabama, not South Florida, for his first head coaching gig.

9. CatBlue in LR
    11:00 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

Sorry–didn’t think my earlier comment was going to be posted.

• Realme
      11:07 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

We don’t usually expect them to have their facts straight anyways. Part of the charm of the show. πŸ™‚

10. runningunnin.454
    11:00 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

What are the odds that all three refs in the Auburn game were in the crapper at ref school during the 14 seconds it took to cover “double dribble”?

• RealCatsFan
      11:05 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

Someone should have warned Auburn about that “SEC school playing against an ACC school” thingy. They never had a chance.

• ClutchCargo
      11:05 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

They were probably day dreaming about the elaborate, theatrical player control foul calls they would one day do in front of a national audience. Big 10 marching band drum majors have nothing on those guys.

• runningunnin.454
      11:13 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

Yep, and jumping in orgasmic ecstasy when they call a foul “on the floor” and wave off a bucket. Maddening, I’m ready for an ncaa continuation rule.Can’t stand rewarding a defender when his guy blows by him.

11. ClutchCargo
    11:19 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

School bus driver may have moved up a notch above youth sports referee/umpire in the rankings of desirable jobs.

• RealCatsFan
      11:21 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

I would say that parole officer may have jumped it too.

12. RealCatsFan
    11:20 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

As much as I disdain some of the calls made by college ref’s, the story they are talking about concerning the high school basketball ref getting punched is disturbing. That goes beyond being upset about a call – that is felonious assault and should be prosecuted as such. I hope that ref slaps the coach with a big fat lawsuit and cleans him out.

• J-Dub421
      11:29 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

Agreed. It was completely uncalled for and wrong.

• RealCatsFan
      11:41 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

I have not seen any physical confrontations with the refs at volleyball games, but I have seen some verbal abuse from parents and coaches. Some of these people need to get a clue. It’s just a game, people!

• J-Dub421
      11:42 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

Anyone getting into a fight over a 4th grade girls basketball game (or boys for that matter), needs to take a step back and rethink their life.

13. Realme
    11:27 am April 8, 2019 Permalink

Could there be 2 kids in Ky that go by Smoke, or is that KSR caller Smoke?