KSR Show Thread 4/7: Live from KSBar and Grille

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Wednesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio, which is coming to you live from KSBar and Grille, where the gang is assembled to talk about the Girls’ Sweet 16, UK roster rumblings, and the baseball team’s win over No. 7 Louisville. Turn on that radio or streaming device!

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

48 Comments for KSR Show Thread 4/7: Live from KSBar and Grille

1. runningunnin.454
    10:05 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

NO Rupp in Bilas’ top ten college basketball coaches? Really? Only a pioneer of today’s modern game as we know it with the fast break and set offense, winner of five national titles. And, Wooden No. 1, the guy with the losing record when he coached hs ball in Kentucky, and everyone knows his titles were bought and paid for, except maybe the first one. Bilas is an idiot.

• Realme
      10:10 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

He’s too woke to not believe the racism narrative.

• runningunnin.454
      10:15 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

Yep, just a smug thinks he knows it all Dookie lawyer. His analysis is dry as toast, he has zero personality, and brings zero color to the commentary. I posted 10 better color guys in the first thread of the day.

• Realme
      10:20 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

He’s the best when he’s calling out the NCAA, and the worst the rest of the time.

10:22 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

So, you’re saying Bias isn’t in your top 10 color guys, rg? ๐Ÿ™‚ I agree. He used to be pretty good, not sure what happened to him. He’s turning into Billy PACCker.

• runningunnin.454
      10:27 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

Yeah, I have watched the game for 60 years; I don’t need his analysis even though he’s usually right. I prefer more entertaining guys who have some personality.

10:30 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

I complain about Bias and Dookie V, but the reality is that I don’t really care all that much about what the talking heads say. It just annoys me when something of interest is going on on the court while they babble about everything but the game we are watching. Basketball is entertaining enough without clowns at the press table.

2. Realme
    10:11 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

Matt thinking he should take the gang to Sturgis is pretty stupid, even for him. I would love to hear all about it though.

• runningunnin.454
      11:14 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

Hah, yeah; they wouldn’t stick out like sore thumbs.

11:22 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

This is exactly how it would go down: https://youtu.be/gyhy7Z71qzE?t=70

• runningunnin.454
      11:28 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

HAH, Hee Haw Clutch; you win the show thread.

• RealCatsFan
      11:54 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

And PeeWee turned out to be a perv… ๐Ÿ˜‰

11:59 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

What do Abraham Lincoln and the guy sitting in the row in front of Pee Wee in the p0rn theater have in common?

3. ArmyCatFan
    10:12 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

Cโ€™mon down to Texas, Iโ€™ll house & feed you guys and have the all important internet to do the show in San Antonio!

4. runningunnin.454
    10:29 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

Well, the guys are right about our recruiting philosophy; Cal created this monster, and he’ll have to be the one to kill it.

• RealCatsFan
      10:32 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

I jumped in late and just caught the tail end of the conversation. Is someone else going pro?

10:33 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

Yeah, I’ve been thinking that for awhile now. I think at this point, he isn’t actively encouraging guys to leave (whether the draft or transfer to get the hell out of Dodge), but kids already have that mentality when they choose to come here. Cal pays lip service to everyone being on their own timeline, but I don’t think that message is getting through to a lot of them.

• runningunnin.454
      10:35 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

Don’t guess, yet. Just the thing about every recruit thinking they can go to the nba after one year; if they can’t, they transfer.

• BobbyBlue
      11:10 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

I spent 3 months in an officers orientation class at Brook Army medical Center at Ft Sam Houston in SanAntonio Texasโ€” the hottest place I have ever livedโ€” just unbelievable, and other than the 600 nurses there, and proximity to Nuevo Laredo, l it was not a pleasant experience.

11:17 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

My only regret was that I spent a fair amount of my time in S.A. wearing a suit because I was there for work. It does get hot in the summer.

• Realme
      11:19 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

I don’t know how y’all stand wearing suits and ties. Looks so uncomfortable.

11:25 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

I rarely wear a suit anymore. So glad.

• RealCatsFan
      11:50 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

My first two jobs required wearing a suit and tie. At some point, casual Friday became a thing, and I would get extremely mad at myself when I would show up on a Friday half asleep in a suit because I forgot. Then during my second job, they phased in casual business attire full time – knit shirt and khakis. I recall one particularly stuffy and uptight manager referring to it as “institutionalized slobbery”. So now at my current job with COVID it has turned into faded jeans and flannel shirts for most of the people I work with. During the winter my go-to is a quarter-zip sweatshirt and colored jeans. I’m looking forward to when the west coast attire of shorts and flip flops will get here.

11:54 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

Going back to the office is going to be tough. Shorts and t-shirts every day is how I have been doing it for just over a year now.

5. ClutchCargo
    10:37 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

Chris Mills would almost get an asterisk as a California kid who didn’t transfer. He probably would have stuck around if he had been allowed to.

• runningunnin.454
      10:42 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

He could play; he could do it all.

10:45 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

And he played with heart. UK was getting crushed by UofL but he wasn’t going to get dunked on.

10:48 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

Wasn’t LeRon Ellis also from California? He is another one who probably skews the numbers a little bit. He pretty much had to transfer if he wanted to ever play in the tournament once we got probation.

• runningunnin.454
      11:04 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

Yeah, Ellis was from L.A.

6. ClutchCargo
    10:57 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

I get Kansass wanting to stick with Self as a guy who could get them through whatever trouble is coming. But I don’t get why they double down and tie their own hands with a contract that says he can’t be fired for cause for anything he has already done at the time the contract extension is signed.

• Realme
      11:02 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

To give the NCAA the middle finger and dare them to try to punish a blue blood? Do they count as a blue blood?

11:08 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

Well, the coach who started their basketball program invented the game of basketball and coached Adolph Rupp, Phog Allen and Dean Smith. And they have won quite a few games. I think they qualify. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• runningunnin.454
      11:08 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

I guess they count; NCAA has already punished a blue blood; us. If they don’t smack Kansa$$, they have zero credibility.

• Realme
      11:16 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

They have had no credibility since the UNC cheating went unpunished. BUt rOy wILlIamS, SUch A saINt.

• RealCatsFan
      11:20 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

The NCAA basically hasn’t had any credibility since they punished us in 1988. We had multi-year bans from post-season play as well as TV coverage. That would be unheard of today, but I also think it would be a very effective punishment to get the point across. Nothing would get a program’s attention like cutting the lifeline of TV money and exposure. The UNCheat fiasco proved that there is definitely a double-standard in place for the “sacred cow” institutions.

7. ClutchCargo
    11:12 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

It’s great to hear the offense is taking off for UK football. Going up against an improved offense in practice every day can only be a good thing for our defense, which was already pretty good. Still need to find a way to get pressure on the other team’s QB, though. We have kind of been missing that since Josh Allen left.

• Realme
      11:18 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

I can’t decide whether to go all in on the hype or do what I say I do and temper my expectations.

11:29 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

I’m definitely tempering my expectations. But I reserve the right to just be excited for football again. I’ll start having expectations when we show we can be competitive with UGA.

• runningunnin.454
      11:33 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

Don’t know; but, I’m ready for some football. Want to win 9 games; that’s the gold standard, right?

8. Realme
    11:32 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

I’m with Drew, but to Matt’s example… If my neighbor calls the police for a welfare check, because she really just wants the police to find my drugs, because she hates that my dogs are loud, I can answer the door and say I’m alive. There’s not some automatic whole house search.

9. ClutchCargo
    11:40 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

Ryan may be the most illogical person I can think of. I don’t yell at people very often in real life, but I would be yelling at him a lot.

• runningunnin.454
      11:46 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

Agree, the Constitution protects all citizens, so…it has to protect criminals, too. Ryan is foolish; look up Merry Andrew in the dictionary, and there’s his picture.

• Realme
      11:46 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

I like when Matt tries to change his opinion with logic, and his stubbornness kicks in.

10. Realme
    11:48 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

I love a cuban sandwich, but wouldn’t trust KSR not to put beer cheese on it.

11:56 am April 7, 2021 Permalink

Barf. I’m afraid you’re right. And I hate it when a place says they have a Cuban sandwich and it’s anything but an actual Cuban sandwich. Matt saying he got mustard on himself gives me a little hope, though.