KSR Show Thread 4/5: What Final Four?

Image result for wrestlemania

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Friday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will enjoy one last show together before Matt and Shannon head off to New York City for Wrestlemania. Tune in to hear about their adventure, and how the rest of us will cope with the first weekend without Kentucky sports since August.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

89 Comments for KSR Show Thread 4/5: What Final Four?

1. runningunnin.454
    9:59 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

Sestina looks like a good find. Really nice stroke, and seems a bit faster than Reid; may not be as strong on the boards as Reid, but we’ll see.

• ClutchCargo
      10:11 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

Agree. When you can add an experienced, skilled and quality person like that, you do it.

• ClutchCargo
      10:16 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

And I don’t think it really matters what role he plays (starter or backup). The young’ns need a role model/leader who isn’t a coach.

• J-Dub421
      10:24 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

Agreed, he’s a really good pick up and seems mature and decisive.

• runningunnin.454
      10:25 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

And, a really good personality. And he can’t hurt the old GPA.

• If he’s not as strong as Travis, then I’d like to see him get stronger. I say that with some hesitation because he would possibly lose some quickness as a result, but we always have athletes but usually don’t have a bully on the blocks like Travis.

• Maybe “usually” isn’t the word, maybe more like “we don’t always”, because I know we had Randle, KAT, etc. And I know PJ could play bully ball, but Travis freed him up to do more of the other stuff.

2. Realme
    10:18 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

I didn’t think the NCAA saying if you’re going to grad transfer you need to get the whatever degree is that unreasonable. They get to not sit out a year.

• runningunnin.454
      10:21 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

I didn’t like the timing, right after we pick up a 2nd consecutive GT. And, I thought the NCAA wasn’t involved in academics.

• ClutchCargo
      10:22 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

And that was clearly the gist of what Cal was saying that the NYT quoted. That rule wouldn’t even hurt UK, because we seem to always end up with one or two unused scholarships anyway.

10:38 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

Yep! And if dook was doing it I GUARANTEE you that they would not be talking about a rule change.

3. runningunnin.454
    10:18 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

Can’t discount players just because they played at a small school. Larry Bird, Karl Malone, Steve Nash, Scottie Pippin, Dennis Rodman, and of course Steph.

• JTHinton
      10:24 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

Don’t forget the goat, Jeremy Lin

• J-Dub421
      10:27 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

Clay Thompson and Kawhi Leonard too.

And Jeremy Lin is not remotely in the same category with anyone else listed.

• runningunnin.454
      10:27 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

Yep, Linsanity.

• Ja Morant. Of course he isn’t in the league yet, so we’ll have to see how he does.

10:33 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

Jeremy Lin was the classic definition of “Fifteen Minutes of Fame”. (Is Rick Pitino the definition of “Fifteen Seconds of Infamy”?

• runningunnin.454
      10:43 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

I forgot Robert Parish; he went to a little school called Centenary. As I recall, he was headed to UK; but, couldn’t score the ACT minimum.

10:51 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

If you look at Michigan State, they actually had very modest basketball success and tradition prior to Izzo. Magic took them to an Elite Eight followed by a national championship. It had been 20 years since their last Elite Eight at that time, and it took another 20 years before they got there again. Izzo has been primarily responsible for them moving up to elite status. So while Michigan State definitely wasn’t a small school, and they played in the Big Ten, they still weren’t a major player when Magic came onto the scene.

• We beat Magic & co. in 1978. I remember reading the score and article in the paper the next day (nope, didn’t know the score that night) and seeing that Magic was their star. First I had heard of him and he blew up the next year big time, along with Bird of course.

4. So my Auburn alum coworker is off to Minneapolis. I be hatin’ today.

• runningunnin.454
      10:23 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

Go, War Eagle…Go, Raiders.

• ClutchCargo
      10:25 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

This might be the most relaxed I have ever felt about the final four. My bracket at work has Virginia winning, and I will finish in the money regardless. Therefore, I am free to cheer for Auburn and Texas Tech.

• “SHEET……..of integrity!” Does anyone remember that from Mike and Mike? It was pretty funny.

• I’m also hatin’ because I know I wouldn’t have had the money even if UK had won, but oh well.

• Realme
      10:29 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

Ouch, that stings, Chris.

10:30 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

On my daughter’s college visit to UK yesterday, they gave us a 25% off coupon for the student center. We went into the UK Swag store to look for a new t-shirt for her, and there was a rack of “2019 Road to the Final Four” shirts on clearance. Sniff – we should have been buying a new FF t-shirt. πŸ™

• I would have thought those shirts would have been on a boat to Bangladesh RCF.

10:36 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

They actually had shirts left over on the clearance rack for the game against Duke in Indianapolis!

Speaking of shirts, saw a girl walking around on campus in an Auburn shirt. Surprised she didn’t get jumped.

• ClutchCargo
      10:40 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

There’s a pretty good pipeline of UK Ag students to Auburn’s college of veterinary medicine, so let her have her day.

10:44 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

Clutch, at one time I really thought my younger kid would be taking that path, based on her love of horses and other critters. She was dreaming of being a vet, and she thought she would get recruited by Auburn’s volleyball team (their coach is from Louisville). Alas, she did not win the genetic lottery to play Div I volleyball, and her interests have moved elsewhere now that she is a teeny-bopper. πŸ˜‰

• runningunnin.454
      10:49 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

Standing joke in my small hometown; We only had one doctor; and before he went to med school, he had previously flunked out of vet school. Ha ha.

• It’s a he, and he’s taking his son (who’s actually in his 20s now). He’s actually a great guy, and he didn’t rib me about the game. However, he was saying things on text after the game like “I don’t know how to act” and “I’m sorry about your Cats but this is rarefied air for us”.

• J-Dub421
      11:56 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

If you want revenge, just tell your co-worker to act like they’ve been there before. Then say, “Oh wait, you haven’t been there before!”

5. RealCatsFan
    10:31 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

Jemerl Baker reminds me a lot of Julius Mays – although I think Julius was more athletic.

• ClutchCargo
      10:35 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

I suspect that Baker’s athleticism will look somewhat better next season. Up until now, he has just been trying to rehab that knee. Now he can actually train. He will never be a Malik Monk, though.

6. ClutchCargo
    10:31 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

Just give Shannon some kind of breath mint. If he has enough self-awareness, he will realize that you never decline if someone offers you a mint, because there is probably a reason and they are just trying to help.

7. runningunnin.454
    10:38 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

Are you ready for some FOOTBALL?

10:42 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

Ugh – after the spring game we will be rapidly heading into that late spring / early summer “sports dead zone”. I know baseball will be going on, but I just can’t get into it. If I go to a baseball game of any type, my interest goes straight to the cold beer that I will be clutching.

• ClutchCargo
      10:47 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

That late spring/early summer time is prime grilling and smoking season for me, although I do that stuff year round. So I don’t worry too much about the lack of sports.

10:53 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

I’ll be right over, Clutch! πŸ˜€

8. I still say Stoops sounds like the Home Depot voice over guy.

9. ClutchCargo
    10:54 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

Surely Certs can be bought on Amazon. As an aside – for those of you who can appreciate a middle school sense of humor – go read the Amazon reviews of the sugar-free Haribo Gummi Bears. There are some really talented writers with way too much time on their hands.

• Realme
      10:55 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

Second google search result is an Amazon link. They also have a wikipedia page.

• Realme
      10:55 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

Yes, those reviews are hilarious.

• I don’t remember where, but a few years ago I read that this book has hilarious reviews. It was the first I heard about it, and the article (or comment) said people were making a cottage industry out of funny reviews. If you have some time to kill you can read for quite a while. Here you go (“How to Avoid Huge Ships” Paperback – March 1, 1993):

BTW, George Takei (yes, that one) has made a 2nd career out of funny reviews on Amazon.

10. secrick
    10:55 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

Coach K should have a graduate transfer by the end of next week and it will be so great. Has Tenn. hired a Ladies BB coach yet?

11. runningunnin.454
    11:01 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

Cleaning out the garage the other day, I found an old license plate. Kentucky Wildcats, 1978; and, there was a wildcat dribbling a ball with ncaa champs on it. It had been on my ’63 vette.
    Wanted to hang it on a wall; but, wife said no…can you believe that?

12. Realme
    11:04 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

That guy wasn’t the kidnap victim from Illinois! No wonder the story didn’y make sense.

• J-Dub421
      11:14 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

Why on earth would someone lie about that sort of thing?

• Realme
      11:19 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

What a monster.

• ClutchCargo
      11:24 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

Hopefully, everyone directly involved realized from the start that this scumbag probably wasn’t who he claimed to be.

13. runningunnin.454
    11:11 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

MJ should hope he never runs into any of these Reds; they gonna kick his butt.
    BTW, did you see Bledsoe throw the ball at Imbiid? That’s a big guy to pick on, LOL.

14. Iamheasyouarehe
    11:21 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

Bobby Knight is a horrible person, explains a lot about K.

11:26 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

I missed that part of the show due to a customer phone call. πŸ™

• Realme
      11:28 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

Played a new Dakich interview where he is really honest about how he feels about the senile old jerk.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:32 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

Yeah Dakich just became more likeable for me.

15. That garbage is supposed to be country??? I’m with MJ on this one!!! No wonder so many country fans don’t like FL-GA Line and crap like that.

• I guess in all fairness you had a lot of country that crossed over to pop sounds in the 70s and 80s, and then it took folks like Randy Travis & Patty Loveless to get back to more traditional country. But mixing in these rap beats and stuff? Ugh.

• ClutchCargo
      11:33 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

I guess I can blame myself for tuning in to a station that could possibly play an abomination like FGL, Luke Bryan, Dan + Shay, etc. but I feel your pain.

11:35 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

Well, let’s just say that I would hate to hear what David Allan Coe would say about it. πŸ˜‰

• There is a classic country station in Montgomery that calls itself (MJ would love this) The Possum. You can give it a listen here:

• ClutchCargo
      11:46 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

Thanks for the link. That station is a lot like the new one that recently popped up in Hodgenville, KY. They focus on 70’s – 90’s stuff. https://www.abe937.com/

11:52 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

cg, is it called that because that is the owner’s name? πŸ˜€

• Someone told me they’ll even play Jim Reeves & TN Ernie Ford, but I’m not sure since I haven’t listened much. I do see Hank Sr.’s pic on there, but he’s also a Montgomery area legend. A black bluesman in Greenville, AL (south of here, and hometown of Zadarius Smith) taught him to play, but sadly, there are no known tape recordings of said bluesman.

I remember when BB King appeared on a Randy Travis album, he was asked if he thought it was unusual to collaborate with a country singer, and he said “No, because we used to call country music ‘white man’s blues'”.

11:56 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

I sure wish a REAL classic rock or alternative station would pop up in Louisville. Something that is NOT owned by Clear Channel, without the crappy formulaic algorithms controlling the playlist. Something that has actual DJ’s picking out the music. Closest thing we have now is WFPK, but it’s not classic rock except on Saturday’s when they do “Relics”.

• Haha. It is part of Bluewater Broadcasting, and they own a few stations. The owner’s name is not Possum as far as I know, but I suppose it could be a nickname!

16. RealCatsFan
    11:26 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

That is NOT country! It is the artificial, disposable electronic cRAP that my kids listen to. πŸ™‚

11:28 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

And that electronic drumbeat reminds me of the sound that those electronic air filters make – either that, or a bug zapper on a humid summer evening. πŸ˜€

• I guess they’re trying to appeal to the younguns that that are into rap. Oh well.

11:54 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

I am seriously worried about the musical future of our nation.

17. Realme
    11:41 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

I want to go to Waverly so bad. Don’t believe in ghosts, but I’d love for one to change my mind.

11:53 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

Had my daughter sit down and watch The Shining with us this week. I could tell it was getting to her because she kept trying to distract herself with her phone.

• ClutchCargo
      11:59 am April 5, 2019 Permalink

Fun fact, RCF: the guy that played the young boy in that movie is a professor at ECTC in Elizabethtown. Got out of acting altogether not long after The Shining.