KSR Show Thread 4/3: Turn on that radio!

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Wednesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang is all together again to discuss John Calipari’s new contract, the looming NBA decisions, and Three Wheel Baptist Church, probably.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

75 Comments for KSR Show Thread 4/3: Turn on that radio!

1. runningunnin.454
    10:05 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

Congrats to Lipscomb Bisons; last night they defeated the Fighting Lynn Marshalls of Wichita State to advance to the NIT Championship against Texas.
    Vandy, notwithstanding, with Belmont and Lipscomb, they do play ball in Nashville.

• Realme
      10:06 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

KSR should have sent someone to cover Lynn Marshall’s antics. Stories about her when they were in the same region as us were so fun.

• Ryan giggling at here and Matt’s talking about Ryan’s reaction was so much fun.

• J-Dub421
      10:44 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

They should have sent Drew Franklin. Lynn Marshall loves him. πŸ˜‰

• speaksthetruth
      11:12 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

Plus the Mathews boy for Lipscombs dad is from Owensboro and was an RA at Blanding3 in the early 90s. He is the all time scoring leader for them.

2. Not only am I having serious withdrawals because we didn’t make the FF, but I’m having them because no Tuesday game either!

Congrats to Lipscomb, formerly known as David Lipscomb. Why they have to drop Brother Lipscomb’s first name for marketing purposes I’m not sure. Anyway, when I was in college, we used to say “There’s no scum like LIP-scomb!” πŸ™‚

• Realme
      10:14 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

My withdrawal hasn’t started yet. I think waking up Saturday morning it will be like a cartoon anvil to the head. * small sob*

• ClutchCargo
      10:18 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

I feel like I’m just over it and don’t care. But maybe I’m actually in the pre-withdrawal stage myself. Not having a team that I hate in the final four is kind of weird, so I think that’s part of it also.

• The first step is admitting you have a problem Clutch. Haha!

• J-Dub421
      10:45 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

I’m a little bummed, and will probably not watch any of the Final Four this weekend.

10:51 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

I’m going to watch the FF; should be a good one, and interesting that only one of the teams have ever won a title.
      Actually, I’ve only missed one title game ever…we had a tornado when the game started…Hah.

• ClutchCargo
      10:54 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

I will definitely watch, but I won’t be stressing over it at all. I will be cheering for the underdogs, but will be happy if Virginia wins it and I get paid. πŸ™‚

• J-Dub421
      10:57 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

Once we lose, I usually don’t watch much of the tournament anymore. It hurts too much.

• I’ll watch, but RG, there was no way I was watching the natty in 2015 after we lost, especially with Duke in that game.

11:41 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

True Chris; that was a tough one, especially since I knew we could have beaten Dook, and that Wisky couldn’t.

3. Realme
    10:12 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

We all know they’ll all announce for the draft and at least get the feedback. We won’t know anything until the withdrawal deadline (in May?). But they will make 800 stories out of it in the meantime.

10:18 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

The three freshmen would be making a mistake to go now. If PJ showed us anything, it is that there is no shame in returning to school for a year, or two.
      The three greatest players I have had the pleasure of watching in person all stayed in college four years; Dan Issel amassed >2000 pts, Pete Maravich >3000 pts, and Travis “Machine Gun” Grant of Kentucky State > 4000 pts.

• Yep. The baseball team is barely above .500 and 1-8 in the brutal SEC, so that isn’t going to get a lot of run like a couple years ago when Nic stormed out of the gate in his first year with a terrific team. I hear softball is playing great, and I want us to win in everything, but softball doesn’t move the needle. If they keep playing well it might some in the post-season.

• Realme
      10:19 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

Fingers crossed that PJ’s example will start a new trend. I wonder if agents will give them good advice, or just try to get them making $ soonest.

• Absolutely Runnin’ & Realme. I have no problem with guys going pro early, especially with the chance of injury, but PJ is going to sign for a whole lot more money because he stayed. Plus, if he wants to get his degree, he’s got 2 years under his belt.

• ClutchCargo
      10:23 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

This time around, I’m content to just wait and see who goes and stays. I really don’t see anybody, outside of PJ, who definitely should go, and I suspect most everyone will stay.

10:26 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

I also saw Ole Miss’ Johnny Neumann play in college. I believe he was the first ever college player to be granted a hardship and entered the NBA after only one year.
      Great player, but his NBA career was less than ideal.

• Realme
      10:27 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

Hope you guys are right. We have seen so many players go when they should have stayed though. I don’t count on keeping anybody.

• I just checked the softball standings and we’re in 6th place. Not quite what I had hoped based on what I thought I had heard.

• Same Realme. I’ve said this many times: ever since Bledsoe, and especially Orton, went after 1, I have to assume they’re all going. I thought Brandon Knight would come back because he was such a brilliant student, but he didn’t. If he had we might have been 40-0 in 2011-2012.

• ClutchCargo
      10:32 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

I’m not counting on anything, Realme. I just feel more confident that the feedback will be to stay in school for most of them.

• J-Dub421
      10:56 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

Bledsoe was right though. He’s a long time starter on every team he’s been on and has been very successful in the NBA. Knight has had a decent career, but has been derailed by a lot of injuries.

• J-Dub421
      10:58 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

Orton probably could have helped us, and definitely needed to stay, but he was such a poop that I don’t care that he left.

• ClutchCargo
      11:03 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

I frequently forget Orton was ever here. Good riddance to that guy. I know he was dealing with losing his mother, but he just wasn’t going to fit in with the culture at UK.

• I didn’t know he had lost his mom (or I had forgotten).

4. ClutchCargo
    10:28 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

I think it’s fair to rank Ulis ahead of Wall as a college PG. Wall was obviously a better NBA prospect, but Ulis killed it his last year at UK.

5. J-Dub421
    10:50 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

Fun fact: Terrence Jones (in the 2012 season) broke the standing NCAA single season blocks record. He just happened to be on a team with Anthony Davis who obliterated it and had more blocks that season than he did.

10:54 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

I remember against Kansas, one of their guys grabbed a rebound, and TJ ripped the ball from him and started a fast break.
      I also remember he was on the point of a fast break, going in for a dunk, and turned his ankle and fell.
      Thankfully, he was OK.

• J-Dub421
      11:01 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

TJ was a great rebounder. It was also fun watching him kill dudes on dunks. Remember the huge dunk off someone’s free throw miss?

It was also awesome when normally mild mannered Darius Miller would suddenly hulk-out and kill a dude with a monster dunk.

• Realme
      11:05 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

Love TJ. And yes, Darius had one that should make a list of best Cal era dunks. I watched it SO many times. Wish I could remember where and when it was.

• ClutchCargo
      11:10 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

St. John’s, Realme. I remember that one well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRudQe8i8xM

• Realme
      11:14 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

Nice. Now find me the one where WCS came from out of nowhere and just destroyed the whole arena.

11:15 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

Realme, I think that was against Ole MIss in ’12. He also had a one-hand dunk off a lob against somebody, but I don’t remember the opponent.

11:17 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

Yeah Clutch, that was the opponent I couldn’t remember.

• J-Dub421
      11:22 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

Ha ha ha ha! TJ’s face after Darius threw down that dunk was great!

• ClutchCargo
      11:24 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

There’s too many of those to remember, Realme. But my favorite was either the one against Cincinnati where the guy just fell down and laid there, or the one against Florida.

• J-Dub421
      11:25 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

Apparently St. John’s had a bad day. That was also the TJ missed free throw dunk day. Enjoy.

• Realme
      11:28 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

I’ll have to watch some highlights and figure it out. All time fave, but I have no memory for team names and dates, etc.

• J-Dub421
      11:28 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

Willie cramming on Harrell then mean mugging him was pretty great too.

• Realme
      11:31 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

Yeah when Harrell fell down and looked all whiney!

• Here is the Gif of Miller’s dunk. I downloaded it and saved it to my PC:

• J-Dub, I remember well that TJ dunk off the missed free throw. Awesome!

• Clutch, I didn’t mean to steal your phrase.

• ClutchCargo
      11:34 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

Here ya go, Realme. You’re welcome!

• Realme
      11:37 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

Ok, I’ll let y’all know which one I meant.

• Oh (in the Gif I posted), and you can see that for a second TJ thought the lob was for him and then he saw Miller. It would have been a great dunk either way, but the one handed thing…oh yeah!!!

11:42 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

Harrell, who?

• Realme
      11:45 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

Oh, you know, TrezL. Louisville’s all time dunk leader, even though that is not a stat that is kept.

11:50 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

Ha ha, yeah I know; I was just throwing a little jab.

6. Realme
    10:56 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

Quade staying could also have meant that Ashton didn’t surge and we didn’t beat some teams and ended a 5 seed.

• ClutchCargo
      10:58 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

I don’t think it was a coincidence that the team took off soon after he left. It was probably for the best

11:00 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

Somewhat disturbing that we don’t have any bigs in next year’s class. Cal’s Runts, hah.

• J-Dub421
      11:02 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

Nick and EJ will be back, so it will be okay. Both will continue to improve.

• Realme
      11:04 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

Or Nick will get the “I’ve been here 2 years and barely play when it matters, must transfer now” bug.

11:05 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

True, J-D; may be better we don’t sign any green bigs; they take longer to develop (unless they’re named Zion).
      I would be wary of transfers, and I’m still a little worried about some guard transfers.

• J-Dub421
      11:27 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

Nick likes UK and the coaching staff, and his girlfriend is on the volleyball team. He’ll stay.

• Oh, and you can see that for a second TJ thought the lob was for him and then he saw Miller. It would have been a great dunk either way, but the one handed thing…oh yeah!!!

7. ClutchCargo
    11:17 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

The statistics and advance scouting in baseball are changing the game. It’s crazy how often they put on a defensive shift and the batter hits the ball straight at a guy who is way out of his normal position.

• ClutchCargo
      11:21 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

The reason the batter doesn’t just bunt the ball toward 3rd base is the same reason NBA teams shoot a million 3’s each game and pass up layups for 3’s. It’s hard to watch.

11:23 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

Clutch, do you remember Frank Howard? The first baseman would be at 2nd base with the other infielders between 2nd and 3rd, all practically in the outfield.

• ClutchCargo
      11:29 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

He was before my time, or at least the end of his career was when I was a little kid.

8. ClutchCargo
    11:44 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, the people in the van paying $20 for DNA samples seem as creepy as I first thought. Turns out they are not affiliated with Passport.

9. ClutchCargo
    11:47 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

You ask who they are there to pick up, if you think it’s your Uber ride..

10. J-Dub421
    11:50 am April 3, 2019 Permalink

I’ve never taken Uber, but have used Lyft. Lyft tells you that make/model/color of the car coming to get you and the driver’s name, and has a photo of the driver. They also have the Lyft light up logo thingie on the car. I always check to make sure those things match. You don’t just get into a random car with no info.