KSR Show Thread 4/29: Barren and Bath County Spotlight

Welcome to the Wednesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will shine our county spotlight on Barren and Bath Counties. If you’re from there, call in with a fun or interesting fact about your hometown, or, just sit back and enjoy the show.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

95 Comments for KSR Show Thread 4/29: Barren and Bath County Spotlight

1. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:05 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Well, I’m not from either of those counties. I’m from Fayette County, Lexington to be exact. Fun fact: Lexington is the home to the University of Kentucky, which has won 8 NCAA basketball national championships. It is just about 1 1/2 hours south of Cincinnati, home of the 5 time World Series champion Reds, and home of future Super Bowl winning Joe Burreaux led Bengals. 😉 I hope.

10:06 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Oh, and Lexington is the home of future CFP Playoff champions. 😉

• runningunnin.454
      10:15 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Heh heh, I’ll have some of what you’re smoking, there…don’t bogart it.

10:21 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Man, my only vices are carbs, sugar, and coffee. I do have delusions of grandeur at times though. Haha.

10:23 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

I would say cheering for the Bungles is a vice, but there is only negative side effects from that and no high. 😉

10:37 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

lol

A man can dream. We were known as the Bungles only 1 year before we lost our first SB by the skin of our teeth to those fool’s gold prospectors. Same for the 2nd too.

2. ClutchCargo
    10:06 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Maybe Realme can step up and call in with a fun fact about Barren Co.

10:12 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Is it kind of barren down there?

10:13 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Roll call: where is everyone from? I know a few mentioned it the other day, but I don’t think I’ve ever caught where RG is from. CC, you’re from Glasgow? One of my uncles used to preach there and I remember visiting. That’s been forever.

10:15 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

No, I’m Hardin Co., about 45 minutes away. I think 4Ever is also a Barren Countian.

10:20 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Oh yeah, Realme is Glasgow I think she said.

• runningunnin.454
      10:21 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

I’m from the big city of Earlington in Hopkins Co. And, I am the Duke of Earl,

10:26 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Um, they’re all about the Scottish stuff. Bag pipes and kilts for the band, highland games. Also, Realme from the KSR show thread was raised there.

10:27 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

It’s Dinosaur World. And Cave City wasn’t named for Mammoth Cave.

10:28 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Born and raised in da Ville. 🙂

10:29 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Clutch Elizabethtown
      Me Glasgow
      Chris Lexington
      4ever Allen Co.
      I know where a lot of you are now, but that’s what I think I know about childhood homes.

10:30 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

RCF thank God you found UK fandom.

10:31 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Whereabouts is that on the map? I’m sorry I don’t remember my Bluegrass geography.

Also, cool song. Here’s another version:

Keep in mind I digitized a very old cassette with some wear.

10:32 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

That was for RG.

• runningunnin.454
      10:34 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

I’m in Western Ky, Chris, right next to Madisonville, and about 45 miles from Owensboro.

• runningunnin.454
      10:41 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

BTW, The Lion Sleeps Tonight, was written and first recorded in 1939 by a South African singer of Zulu origin, and the original lyrics were in Zulu. The Tokens version was in 1961; but, it made a come back in the early ’70’s.

10:49 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

I love the Scottish stuff Realme! Look for 3 Celtic albums (cassettes actually) uploaded to my channel

10:51 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

RG, I love those African rhythms and harmonies. I have Paul Simon’s “Graceland” CD and it’s great.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:12 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Sounds like the NBA g-league has finally forced the hand of the NCAA.

4. ClutchCargo
    10:13 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

The NIL legislation is way overdue. I’m not in favor of paying amateur athletes, but there is no way they shouldn’t be allowed to benefit from their own identity. And the market will take care of who gets what.

10:19 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

And those illegal recruiting pitches (“Hey superstar kid! Come to Ol’ State U and you’ll get $X for doing an Ol’ Filthy Rich Donor’s Chevrolet commercial!”) he mentioned? Yeah, that’ll never happen. “Hee Haw nyuck nyuck” as RG would say.

10:21 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, they are opening the flood gates for that kind of stuff. Not that it doesn’t happen rampantly already, but it will be even easier to get away with it.

10:32 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Agree with Clutch. Only greed was protecting “amatuerism” from kids being able to get paid for lessons or their own name.

5. ClutchCargo
    10:20 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

That thought occurred to me yesterday. What if football happens in January and February and I can’t do Saturday games during those months? I’m gonna want my money back, or at least be able to apply it to 2021 season tickets.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:27 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Again, it is becoming a little embarrassing that Cal and Stoops have not offered to take a voluntary pay cut or make a major donation to charity. Schools around the country are doing this.

• Not Dan Issel
      10:33 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Why? Tax dollars are’t used to pay either of those salaries. Donation to charity? What do you think Cal has been doing since he got to UK? The man is one walking, talking, charitable contribution. A “RealCatsFan” you are not.

10:34 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Even a lot of D1 assistants are making insane money now.

10:34 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

I think the donating has happened from Cal, and I don’t disagree about the pay cut thing, except that now that Matt is putting that pressure on, I don’t want him to win.

10:37 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Voluntary is one thing, but now that Matt and the guys are clamoring for it, I’m kind of against it now. lol

10:37 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Calm down Not Dan.

10:40 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Dan, I was right there with you until that last sentence. Reasonable people can disagree without questioning someone’s fanhood.

10:42 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

That is funny Realme. I’m kind of with you now that Matt has muted me on Twitter. Haha. In fairness to him, I’m not real Twitter savvy, so he may not have muted me if I had known to not include him on replies when I replied to others on some of his political posts (although I’ve seen him go back and forth with some people multiple times). Nonetheless, I don’t follow him any more because of that but it’s okay. I’m not as big a Twitter guy as some anyway.

NotDan, I don’t think that’s totally true about the tax dollars. I may be wrong, but I thought at least a small portion of their salary was from that. I know the majority may be coach’s shows, endorsements, etc.

10:45 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

NDI, I have defended and spoken highly of Cal many, many times, and I am well aware of the fact that he is VERY generous. He is one of the good guys, definitely. And I feel the same about Stoops. The point I am trying to make is that schools are going to be suffering fiscally across the country. There are going to be cuts being made. I would much rather see a person with a multi-million dollar salary doing the belt tightening rather than folks who are much further down the totem pole. I also don’t want to see it affecting scholarships and financial aid.

10:47 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

He’s very very thin skinned on twitter, where tens of thousands adore him and everything he says. I don’t follow him because he gets retweeted so much I was seeing every tweet 8 times. Eventually I muted him because it was still too much.

10:47 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Either way, we don’t know what they’re doing behind the scenes. The Bible does talk about doing what’s right but not standing on the corner and not “tooting your own horn” and announcing it to everyone to bring glory to yourself. Jesus said those who do such, they already have their reward. Ouch.

“Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.”
      Matthew 6:2

10:52 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Matt has the thinnest skin, and he projects…a lot.

10:52 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

“I’ll give them time, but…” And Matt pretends he is never trying to influence his fans to put pressure on UK about stuff. It’s not up to him what UK does, but it’s like he thinks it is.

10:56 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

cg, I agree with you about doing charitable things behind the scenes with no expectation of reward or recognition – that is the greatest form of charity. But on the flip side of things, I think when a well known person does it publicly it can inspire others to follow suit. I have always wished that instead of ranking the 500 richest people in the world more attention was paid to ranking the 500 most generous people in the world.

11:03 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Fair points. I just think some people might struggle within themselves and ask “What is my real motivation here?” and make the decision to stay on the safe side. Your point is well taken though.

11:09 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

I guess my thing is, I’m all for doing charitable things and leading by example. But whether others do it or not is their call to make, and I won’t judge them or draw any conclusions from where I sit. But I’m also very much a pragmatist, and not really into gestures or optics (hearing the word “optics” makes me want to punch the speaker in the throat, btw. lol).

11:32 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, I don’t think it should be on Cal or Stoops to make a donation. But a lot of other schools are cutting coach’s salaries (along with a lot of other administrators) in an effort to cut costs.

7. runningunnin.454
    10:46 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

I told y’all the ncaa would drag their feet on the transfer change.
    Janitor: Boy, that transfer thing will sure help Calipari and Kentucky.
    Emmert: Huh, what? Hey, time out, hold the phone, let’s rethink this transfer thing…catasrophe, eeeeek.

10:50 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Yeah people get so excited about proposals that haven’t been voted for yet. I will believe they are doing a thing when it’s real.

8. ClutchCargo
    10:47 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Aaaand then the two horses break down and have to get euthanized right there on the track. Great solution in search of a problem.

9. Realme
    10:55 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Oh man this is so embarrassing. “Cruising” was so dumb. We talked about it on here before.

10:57 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

I must have been unloading a truck when they were talking about that. Cruising in cars, or on boats? (Hopefully not in bars.)

11:02 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Cars. It was dumb, but really not anything else to do in a small town back then.

11:08 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

I remember back in the 70’s and 80’s, cruising was big even in larger cities like Louisville. A lot of it was centered around the car culture back then. I witnessed a lot of impromptu drag races on rural roads back in the day.

• runningunnin.454
      11:22 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Cruisin’ was a big part of the movie, “American Graffiti”; driving around with the radio blaring…back when cars were cars, you could see a car cruisin’ down the street, and know immediately what it was. Now the cars all look alike.

11:25 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

RG, a few years ago I read an article where the author was at the Detroit Car Show. One lady said all cars today look like a jelly bean. I thought “Yeah, they do!” Almost all sedans are shaped like that.

11:26 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

It was way lamer in Glasgow when I got my dl.

11:30 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

RG, that is one of my all-time favorite movies. I have it on DVD. It was truly an American classic. A few years ago the local drive-in had a classic car night and played it. It was kind of neat driving the old convertible up there and watching it – like a step back in time. too bad they didn’t have the old school speakers that you hang in your window for full effect.

• runningunnin.454
      11:36 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

RCF, yep a lot of that movie reminded me of my small hometown; and, probably in every small town, there was one car no one could beat. In my town, it was a ’63 Corvette and the owner was a mechanic, and he had “messed” with it.
      Guys came from a hundred miles to race him, but he never lost…he wouldn’t get the car out for less than $250.

11:38 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

RCF, my mechanic takes his 55 Chevy to car shows, and he hangs a genuine drive-in speaker on the window. He took out the guts and turned it into a bluetooth speaker and has 50s music playing.

11:52 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

That’s cool, cg. There is a local guy who hangs a platter on the window of his old Dodge with a fake cheeseburger and fries, and he puts a lifesize mannequin in poodle skirt and skates next to it as the carhop.

11:54 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

10. RealCatsFan
    11:14 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Eeewww. “Meat showers” in Bath County? Buzzard barf? Yum. Is that where the name Bath County came from? Everyone wanted to take a bath after that. 🙂

11:17 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Wait… what?? I stepped away for a few minutes and missed that. Meat shower?

11:20 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Is it fully cooked Wright Brand Bacon or Conecuh Sausage? I’m in!!!

11:20 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Here ya go:

two gentlemen who tasted it judged it to be lamb or deer” – yuk! These dudes actually ate it?

11:21 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

I’ve listened to a couple podcasts about the Ky Meat Shower. No one can explain it.

11:22 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Oh, okay. I googled it. Read the second paragraph for a good laugh and to be further grossed out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_meat_shower

“…two gentlemen who tasted it…”

11:23 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

What was that cartoon movie? “Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs” or something?

11:24 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Haha! Me too, cg. RCF, I really hate it when I take too long to type a response and find that somebody beat me to it. That’s hilarious, though!

11:25 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Great minds, Clutch. 😉

11:26 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Then there’s the part a little further down that says the meat was analyzed and it was determined that it was lung tissue from a horse or human baby.

11:27 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

That is most disturbing.

11:28 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

I’ll bet that meat shower wasn’t as awesome as the exploding whale in Oregon back in the 70’s, though: https://youtu.be/xBgThvB_IDQ

11:33 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

I have heard of frogs and fish falling from the sky when a tornado goes over a body of water.

11:35 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha there’s a podcast about that too! Is that the one they thought they should dynamite to get rid of it?

11:41 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Another article, complete with a picture of one of the specimens in a jar:

11:42 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

My last comment was about the whale, if that was confusing.

11:43 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Yes, Realme! The splatting sounds of whale meat and blubber raining down had me laughing way too hard. lol

11:47 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

RCF, so two dudes saw that chunk of… stuff, and said to each other “hey, let’s taste it.”

11:49 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

You havve to feel bad for the poor slob whose car was crushed by a huge chunk-o-whale.

11:51 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

The look on his face was priceless, though. lol

11:53 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

The dude with the crushed car would make a great Farmers Insurance commercial, btw. “we know a thing or two because we’ve seen a thing or two.” lol

11. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:19 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

BTW, random thoughts on something I said the other day about the Covid vaccine: there is a Wall Street Journal article (behind a paywall so I can’t share it) that says that the average time to come up with a vaccine is…10.7 years. This is why I said we can’t wait for a vaccine before we get back to living life and opening the economy. We just can’t.

11:24 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

That may be the normal time span, but they are pulling out all the stops for this one. Radio report this morning said that a company has a vaccine that has been tested successfully in animals and is undergoing human trials soon. They are actually producing it now and expect to have millions of doses ready to go by September, when they are hoping to have FDA approval. So it may happen much sooner than expected. The stock market has been rallying today based mainly on the news.

11:27 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Right. The article said Johnson and Johnson may be ready for human trials this fall, which is unusual. We still don’t know it it will work though. The same article said the success rate of trials was about 6%.

If someone out there is a subscriber, cut & paste the article. I’m not, but I heard the numbers on the radio.

11:43 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t hear that the success rate was only 6% – what I heard was that it was tested in 6 Rhesus monkeys, and they were heavily exposed to coronavirus with no ill effects. The control group were all infected.

Apparently the vaccine is based on another vaccine that they had already been working on that was already tested extensively for safety, hence the accelerated pace.

11:55 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

I mean the average vaccine trial success rate…if I heard them correctly.

12. RealCatsFan
    11:27 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

So Tupac is alive, and apparently living in Kentucky. It was pretty funny watching the gub’ner having to apologize to the dude on TV. But I have to give him credit for owning it – certain politicians out there don’t have it in them to admit when they are wrong.

11:35 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Also nice that the Lexington Tupac was cool about and didn’t choose to make a scene, like so many others would have.

11:44 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

So if Elvis also files for unemployment, will Beshear take the bait? I think I saw Jim Morrison in the Highlands the other day.

• runningunnin.454
      11:54 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Morrison was a very underrated vocalist, and the Doors were a great band.

12:07 pm April 29, 2020 Permalink

Ray Manzarek’s music was the engine that drove the band, although Morrison’s charisma and sex-appeal got them all the recognition.

13. ClutchCargo
    11:50 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

One of the best show threads in a while, folks. Have a good one, I’m out!

• runningunnin.454
      11:52 am April 29, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, but I’m not very hungry now…sure don’t want a stromboli.

12:08 pm April 29, 2020 Permalink

I was thinking chipped beef myself.