KSR Show Thread 4/28: Anderson and Ballard County Spotlight

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Tuesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang continues our virtual tour of the 120 counties in the state with a look at Anderson and Ballard counties. If you live in either of these areas, give us a call to share a fun and unique fact.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

54 Comments for KSR Show Thread 4/28: Anderson and Ballard County Spotlight

1. runningunnin.454
    10:06 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

Anderson County gave me two good friends at UK, Jimmy Dan Conner and…Wild Turkey, uh huh.

• Realme
      10:23 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

“One is silver and the other’s gold”.

• Realme
      10:24 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

Now I have terrible song from my stint in the Brownies stuck in my head.

2. ClutchCargo
    10:10 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

I think the grass mowingest thing is partially because of all the staying at home. I have noticed more people in my own neighborhood whose lawns are more manicured than they normally are. It’s a good way to get out of the house and accomplish something, if you need that.

• Realme
      10:15 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

You can tell who is essential and who isn’t based on the front lawns.

• ClutchCargo
      10:19 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

Some of it also has to do with nothing else going on after work. No kids’ activities to take them to, etc. It’s easier for me when working at home to just take a clean break at the end of the day and go outside and work.

• Realme
      10:22 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

Work? What’s that?

• RealCatsFan
      10:42 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

You guys are making me envious. My job is “essential”, so I have to try to mow grass, mulch, chase moles and build fences in the evenings and on weekends. πŸ™

• RealCatsFan
      10:42 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

But I do wish I had bought stock in Home Depot of Lowes before all this crap broke out…

• ClutchCargo
      10:43 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

I’m “essential” but required to work from home, so kind of a ‘tweener.

• Realme
      10:49 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

Sorry RCF. I’d rather be working. Trying to just figure out where to start digging when I get back is going to be hell.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:22 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

You’d better not get caught mowing your lawn in Michigan.

• ClutchCargo
      11:30 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

I can say with total confidence that I won’t get caught mowing in Michigan. I wonder if there has been a run on goats in that area?

3. Realme
    10:17 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

Play in you practice facilities and pretend it’s a scrimmage. Just give us some football.

• ClutchCargo
      10:21 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

Yep. They can say whatever they want right now, but money talks. The big TV contracts don’t pay all the bills, but the bills won’t be getting paid at all if there are no games to televise. They will have to find a way to play games when it comes down to it.

• runningunnin.454
      10:26 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

Will we have nice things…ever again?

• ClutchCargo
      10:41 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

I think we will eventually. But I’m afraid I’m going to be a germophobe giving people a nasty side eye for getting too close, even after this is all over.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:40 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

Sounds like 1080 on iHeart is taking a dump again today…

• ClutchCargo
      10:42 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

Yep, WLAP 630 it is, for today at least.

• Realme
      10:50 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

Listening over the air and it’s going dead.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:24 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

I keep telling y’all man, try WHIR. This stream is totally stable (and of course if everyone gets on it it’ll prolly crash…haha):

• ClutchCargo
      11:28 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

I think it’s largely an iHeart thing. Not really a fan, but it is what it is.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:44 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

Most hated team besides the 92 dook team? How about all the goofy white dudes on the 2015 Wisconsin team?

But the Joakim Noah teams were right up there.

• RealCatsFan
      10:44 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

The 2019 UT Floppin’ Floppers are up there too…

• ClutchCargo
      10:51 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

I wouldn’t even give a second thought to the 2015 Wisconsin team if we just took care of business like we should have. Joakim Noah was one of the most punchable opposing players ever, and I did hate them around that time. My avatar says it all. πŸ™‚

• RealCatsFan
      10:52 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

It’s interesting that so many of the annoying players that they are coming up with played for Florida…

• RealCatsFan
      10:55 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

I may be an outlier, but I actually liked Marshall Henderson. After all, he gave us perhaps the greatest GIF in the history of the internet!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:38 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

He did, and that article where the writer meticulously broke down everything going on in the GIF was hilarious. I guess the 2 funniest things were (both of these guys right in front of Marshall) the old man who was ready to rumble and then the one guy who just stood there with his hands his pockets with a smile just beaming. Awesome!

• RealCatsFan
      11:52 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

They guy standing there smiling was reportedly a Bama fan. πŸ™‚

I like the girl in the Auburn pajamas with the horrified look on her face as the fathead flew by her head.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:46 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

I have maintained for a long time that I have more overall disdain for dook as a program than I do Louisville OR Tennessee.

• ClutchCargo
      10:48 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

I honestly can’t think of any U-6 players I ever hated. It’s more of a rivalry with their fan base for me. Their team winning makes their fans happy, so I cheer against them unless they’re playing dook.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:51 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

Why is it that Louisville always comes up with nicknames that sound like robots off of Star Wars?

8. ClutchCargo
    10:53 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

Easy, the little point guard for S. Carolina (the team that beat us in 2009-10) is my most hated player for them.

9. runningunnin.454
    11:09 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

The Flynn kid they mentioned at UL was a flopper; but, I always gave him a break…his dad, Mike, played on UK’s super freshman team in ’71, and started for UK from ’72 to ’75.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:26 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

When did he play at UL? I don’t remember him, but I remember his dad somewhat.

• runningunnin.454
      11:34 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

Mid ’90’s. Wasn’t the player his dad was; Mike was Mr Basketball in Indiana.

10. ClutchCargo
    11:14 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think it’s accurate to say a mask doesn’t prevent you from getting the virus, and it only prevents you from giving it to someone else. If that was the case, we could all just wear them inside out and be golden.

11. Realme
    11:18 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

So, I just discovered I can log in to part of my job from my tablet. Gonna start doing some sneak work to at least get organized.

12. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:20 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

Matt is being myopic as usual. I wear a mask to the store, but we have gone from the corrupt CDC and uber-corrupt WHO telling us “Don’t wear a mask! It does no good, and in fact, it’s BAD for you to wear a mask!” to cops roughing up people for not wearing a mask and the city of Houston (I think that was the one) telling us “We’re going to put you in JAIL for NOT wearing a mask!” Okay, I don’t know if they’re threatening jail, but they are talking about $1000 fines.

My question is, how did the CDC go from “Don’t wear a mask! It does no good, and in fact, it’s BAD for you to wear a mask!” (and the WHO STILL says don’t wear a mask BTW), to “We have new data. It actually IS good for you to wear a mask” in a matter of a couple weeks? Where did this new data come from? This is just a mask, it’s not flying to Mars or curing Covid. My suspicion is they actually never had data and were guessing before.

• ClutchCargo
      11:25 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

We went through all this hand wringing when seatbelts became mandatory. I’m just going to wear my mask and really hope others do the same. Not worth getting all worked up over something like this.

• ALogicalBeing
      11:32 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

Actually, it is worth it. These steps are just the first steps in the public handing over our whole lives to the government. They won’t want to stop after we let them start. Eventually that will lead to evil, evil things like war and genocide.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:33 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

Again, I’m wearing a mask. It’s just that a lot of this is more nuanced than an all or nothing proposition. I again point you to the Michigan governor:
      1) when grocery stores can’t keep shelves stocked
      2) when people have lost businesses and jobs
      3) when some people grow produce to supplement their incomes in the first place
      4) when “go-bag” or “bug-out” type kits you buy often include seeds for growing food…
      …she has banned the selling of seeds and plants to grow produce, not just flowers.

You can be FOR being careful without being for everything some of these governors are banning or mandating. You can be for wearing masks without being for fining and possibly jailing people for something based on specious and possibly non-existent data. Not all, but I believe some, of the people who don’t like what Beshear said see a Houston type mandate coming next.

• RealCatsFan
      11:34 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

Anyone see that black helicopter flying overhead? πŸ˜‰

• ClutchCargo
      11:36 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

I need a matching foil hat to go with my mask. πŸ™‚

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:41 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

Oh, and I was a man ahead of my time. I wore a seat belt before all the seat belt laws. πŸ˜‰

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:48 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

13. ClutchCargo
    11:32 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

***Dad joke warning***

You know why they put fences around cemeteries?

Because people are just dying to get in.

14. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:35 am April 28, 2020 Permalink

Wow, I’ve never heard of that singer but she sounds GREAT! That reminded me of Iris Dement if any of you know who she is.

What did they say her name is?