KSR Show Thread 4/27: Adair and Allen County Spotlight

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Starting today, KSR is dedicating each hour of the show to a different Kentucky county, beginning with Adair and Allen. If you live in either of those counties and want to share some unique, fun facts, please call in.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

64 Comments for KSR Show Thread 4/27: Adair and Allen County Spotlight

1. Realme
    10:12 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

So I thought I’d get dressed and do something with my face this morning and see if I felt more human. Still a zombie, so I put on my favorite dead Cardinal tshirt. I usually save it for U6 / UK games. Now I am full of sunshine and rainbows.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:18 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

Step out into the sunshine! My weather app tells me it’s a beautiful day in Lexington, as it is here.

10:21 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

I may set up my workstation on the table on the deck after lunch. I did that Friday, and it was awesome!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:27 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

I don’t have a fancy deck, but I’ve set mine up outside before. It’s been a while. I’m in office today (we’re alternating who comes in and stuff).

10:29 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

If I only had a roof over at least part of mine, it would be ideal for me. But we do have one of those big umbrellas, so all is well.

10:30 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

Grrr – it rained all weekend in daVille, and now when I have to come into work it is beautiful outside. Go figure…

10:32 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, I completely rebuilt and expanded the deck on our house, and when I did that I built a big vaulted porch over part of it. That is one of the best improvements I ever made to my house – I absolutely love it. My only regret is that I did not do it immediately after we moved in.

10:33 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

Great nap weather all weekend, though, for the silver lining.

• Realme
      10:34 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

I definitely will. Usually avoid the sun because fam history of skin cancer, and allergic to sunscreen, but for the coronapocaypse, I’ve already been sunburned twice.

10:35 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

Our good friends who live next door have a roof like that over their deck. That also allows them to have a TV mounted on the side of the house under there. Jealous, and it’s on my wish list.

• Realme
      10:37 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

My back porch is covered and it’s great. Wish it was also screened in, but that hasn’t worked out.

10:40 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

I have a 32″ mounted on the wall under mine. Going to upgrade to a 40 or 48″ soon. It’s nice on a summer evening. Skeeters can be a problem, but if we get enough citronella candles going and turn the ceiling fan up on high, it keeps them away pretty well.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:51 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

I understand that Realme. Just sit in the shade.

• Realme
      10:55 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

Nah, eventually I’ll tan enough to stop burning. I got walking to do and bikes to ride.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:02 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

You guys are making me jealous with your outdoor TVs! Even more so is when I see those home improvement shows where they put in a TV, an outdoor kitchen, and one of those fire walls (or whatever they’re called). Fancy schmancy! Of course, most of the year it’s too hot for me to be outside in Montgomery.

11:09 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

If I hit the lottery and money was no object, I would still live in my current house and drive the same truck, but I would have one of those fancy schmancy outdoor kitchen areas with a roof over it. Like what you are describing, cg.

11:26 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

cg, air current is the key. I have sat out on a hot humid summer evening with the ceiling fan going on high and been pretty comfortable.

2. runningunnin.454
    10:18 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

Allen County fun fact; WKU’s Jim McDaniels played for Allen County HS. He led WKU to the ’71 Final Four, beating UK by 24 points on the way. (Oh, this wasn’t actually a fun fact, was it?)
    WKU became the first Kentucky team to start 5 African-Americans; John Oldham was pressured not to start all 5; but, he said they’re my best 5 players.
    WKU’s FF was vacated because McDaniels signed early with an agent.

10:22 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

WKU has had some great basketball through the years. They also have had a very solid volleyball program through the years. My older daughter is going to be a Topper in the fall.

10:32 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

I came really close to going to WKU out of high school, and have spent a lot of time on campus for work. I could definitely see myself living in Bowling Green.

• runningunnin.454
      10:33 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

Bowling Green is a nice town; I hope she gets to enjoy the freshman experience.

10:34 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

WKU offered me a full ride out of HS. Sometimes I wonder how things might have turned out if I had followed that path. I didn’t recognize the campus when I went down there with my daughter last year.

10:35 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

rg, I hope so too. It would add insult to injury for her, especially if they elect to go with online schooling.

• Realme
      10:36 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

Western is where almost everyone from my high school went. I had to get further away.

10:38 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

Same here, RM.

• runningunnin.454
      10:39 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

Blast from the past from Kentucky’s own,

• Realme
      10:53 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

Where’d you grow up, Clutch? I’m sure you’ve said but I forget.

10:55 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

E-town.

• Realme
      10:57 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

Okay, Glasgow here. I’m sure our teams sports’d against each other.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:57 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

Several years ago, Bowling Green (Ohio) was about to play Auburn I think, and the football coach was on a local sports talk show (you know, with Barry McKnight of Troy play by play, and John Longshore, star of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbfQdPOU3Mg&t=28s). Longshore asked him “What’s it like having to compete with Western Kentucky right there in Bowling Green?” The coach was aghast, and said “What? How about a little research here???” It was great.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:20 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

Since we are talking about Chestnut trees, I have a mature American Elm tree growing in my back yard. Another survivor of another manmade blight. And of course, I have several surviving ash trees on my property that I have been treating to keep them alive. It really bums me out that relatively few people really appreciate how much we benefit from trees. We are losing so much of our mature tree cover in the world, and they are absolutely crucial to the environment. Your message from your resident proud tree hugger.

10:25 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

I don’t think of myself as a tree hugger, but I do love trees. My wife and I decided to buy our current house when we were looking, based largely on the nice partially wooded back yard.

10:28 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

Good luck with those ash trees, btw. It sucks what those little green bastards have done to them. So far, looks like they only eat on ash trees, but eventually they will have to adapt and start attacking other species.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:31 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

10:38 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, so far so good! I am hoping that I can go from an every other year schedule to an every third year schedule on treating them. Surprisingly, there are a couple untreated trees in my yard that still look good, and a few here and there around the neighborhood. Apparently some have natural resistance to the bug, so I am holding out hope that the species will survive. But it’s a damn shame to see whole swaths of forest dead. I spent a couple grand having dead ones removed from my property just this year. The tree services are making a fortune off of this.

• Realme
      10:43 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

Nothing better than a big awesome tree. Burr oak is my fave.

10:48 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

I’m partial to Northern red oak, and I have a lot of those in my back yard. But a few years ago I planted a tulip poplar and a willow oak (like those huge awesome ones that line the sidewalks in the Kirwan/Blanding complex).

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:50 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

All this talk and the Arbor Day commercial that ran a while ago on WHIR meant I HAD to post that old John Denver commercial.

10:55 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

Being the tree geek that I am, I have all of those on my property. I have a burr oak that is just now getting some size on it. That dude is going to be a monster someday, but probably won’t be here to see it in all its glory. I have a few tulip poplars growing wild (our state tree, BTW), and the huge blossoms that they get in the spring are neat. Unfortunately my red oak got the top busted out of it by the ice storm of 2009 – they hold onto their leaves through the winter, so ice and snow are a problem. It has grown a new leader, but it was disfigured. Two years ago I planted a willow oak in honor of my dad after he passed.

My favorite tree is the white oak. They get absolutely massive and can live for hundreds of years. It is cool when you are driving in the country and see an absolutely huge one growing in the middle of a field, and realize that it may predate the birth of our nation.

• Realme
      10:58 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

11:04 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know if they are all still around, but Seneca Park has some tulip poplars that are some of the biggest trees I have seen around this area. Those suckers can live 300 years and get up to 150′ tall. They are usually the tallest trees you see when you look out across a forest in the eastern U.S. And they grow really fast, which is what I was looking for when I planted mine.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:05 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

My wife and I once went to the Old Mulkey Meeting house in Tompkinsville, KY. It’s a historic site, and it was October when we were there (last time I saw Kentucky…I have to get back!). When we pulled off the road all we saw was tons of beautiful yellow leaves blowing across the road and covering the grounds. White oaks were everywhere and it was very picturesque.

4. ClutchCargo
    10:22 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

Reppin’ Adair County, sort of. I was born in Columbia, after all, but moved away as a kid.

5. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:49 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

I want Rick Pitino to play me on SNL.

6. Laker Cat 18
    10:54 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

I would have to go with Seth Green to play me in a movie. I would choose Ed Sheeran if he were an actor.

7. RealCatsFan
    11:00 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

Getting back to sports, (kind of), do you think they will deploy Dennis Rodman to North Korea to try to find out what happened to King Jong Un?

• runningunnin.454
      11:15 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

I suspect his sister killed him.

11:23 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

They released a “statement” that was supposed to be by him, but one of the lackeys simply read it off on the air. It’s kind of like a scene out of “Weekend at Bernie’s”. 🙂

8. Realme
    11:02 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

What’s the college sports return worst case scenario? My husband says next fall at the earliest. I say January at the latest.

11:07 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know, but I hope you’re right and he’s wrong.

11:14 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

Of those two, I think by January is most likely. I still think they can do some form of football season in the fall, maybe without fans, if testing becomes widely available. There has to eventually come a point where pretty much everyone is tested and those who test positive are quarantined.

• runningunnin.454
      11:19 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

Probably be a virus spike in the fall/winter; and, next year’s collegiate sports will be in jeopardy.

11:23 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

And that will be right when flu season hits. Just shoot me if that happens.

9. ClutchCargo
    11:16 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

I love how some people are so generous with other people’s money.

10. ClutchCargo
    11:20 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

My dentist has a sign on the wall that says “You don’t have to floss between all your teeth, just the ones you would like to keep.” 🙂

11. RealCatsFan
    11:21 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

Personally, I find it kind of disappointing that Cal and Stoops have not already announced voluntary pay cuts. Hell, they could both give back half of their pay and still be doing quite well. It’s not like this is the first year that they will be making multi-million dollar salaries. As Matt mentioned, both of these men are known to be very generous, and a lot of the good deeds that they do are under the radar (by design), but this is one time to make it public and make it big. In order for America to get back on its feet. a LOT of coaches, athletes, and CEO’s are going to have to pitch in to help get this economy going again. This is not the time for those folks to just sit on their savings. They should look at it as an investment in the economy that got them where they are.

12. RealCatsFan
    11:39 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

Anyone remember back in the day when Matt used to actually read comments from the ST over the air? When he did, he also usually said the username instead of saying “One person says”. MUCH more entertaining, especially when someone has a really funny moniker.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:44 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

Or now he sometimes says “One person goes…”.

13. RealCatsFan
    11:43 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

AAU sent out letters saying that they are planning to go forward with the Junior Volleyball Nationals in Orlando in June. No fans allowed, just teams, coaches, and players. They will be broadcasting it for the parents. Social distancing as much as possible, and masks whenever possible.

However, here in Kentucky, the KHSAA has ruled out any type of organized competition for HS athletes during the pandemic. This includes club sports, organized practices, and even private instruction. So even if a local club team wanted to go down there to compete, they would be jeopardizing their HS eligibility.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:47 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

RCF, our daughter’s annual youth function in the ATL was cancelled. I can’t imagine how much the hotels, restaurants, etc. lost on that deal between just our convention and that big volleyball tournament (what is that again, “SE Regional” or something like that?). Lads to Leaders & Leaderettes, which is the youth organization, lost a lot of non-refundable funds and it’s held at many sites across the country. There is such a domino effect: the hotel and restaurant’s vendors, their vendors, etc., etc., etc.

11:50 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

We should have been in Gatlinburg this past weekend for a tournament. We had been looking forward to it all season. This stupid virus just needs to go back to China where it belongs. 🙁

14. RealCatsFan
    11:48 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

Speaking of smoky burnouts, there was a tradition of sorts on Friday and Saturday nights after the Street Rod Nationals in Louisville that an impromptu car show would pop up in the parking lot of the Value City on Preston Hwy by the KFEC. After dark, the local rednecks would start having burnout contests directly in front of the store. There would be hundreds of people gathered around cheering them on within a few feet of the cars. I was always watching from a distance, just waiting for something really bad to happen. The amazing thing was that the police would just let it go on for hours, before breaking up the crowd around midnight. The last couple years they put the kibosh on it and won’t let anyone hang out in the parking lot anymore.

15. ClutchCargo
    11:53 am April 27, 2020 Permalink

I was talking to someone this past weekend (about social distancing, etc.) who said something along the lines of “It’s like someone thinking it’s fine to just take off the parachute because it has apparently slowed their fall.” About the best analogy I have heard when it comes to preventive measures and how soon to let up.

12:01 pm April 27, 2020 Permalink

I just hope at some point we reach the ground safely. I’m going to get down on all fours and kiss the ground.