KSR Show Thread, 4/24: Juzang Watch and Debate Prep

On today’s Kentucky Sports Radio radio show, Ryan and I will see if Matt is ready to host the gubernatorial debate tonight. We will also discuss the latest on Johnny Juzang and hopefully no more drunk people call in before they go to work.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

71 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 4/24: Juzang Watch and Debate Prep

1. Realme
    10:20 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Show thread hopping today! Wooo, good conversations. πŸ™‚

• Realme
      10:25 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

I know, right? Off season is so great!

• J-Dub421
      10:27 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Basketball recruiting has gotten very intriguing recently. I would love to get Blackshear from VaTech and Johnny Juzang. They would round out our team nicely.

• Realme
      10:28 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, that would be huge, and also not a surprise, because Cal’s Got This.

• RealCatsFan
      10:34 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Having Johnny Zang (that’s what I’m calling him) join us a year early would be interesting. But it does make me wonder how it is so easy for these kids to reclassify so easily. My kids are both straight-A students, and I couldn’t really imagine either of them going to college a year early.

• J-Dub421
      10:43 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, I don’t get the whole reclassification thing.

• StillBP
      10:49 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

RCF I don’t know his personal situation but sometimes these guys have been in school longer than you would think. Johnny is already 18, will be 19 on 3/17/20 so he’d be kinda old to be a senior in high school.

• RealCatsFan
      10:53 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, I understand that some of them have late birthdays, or their parents hold them back a year. (That is sometimes called “redshirting” when talking about grade school kids.) And yes, some parents do it to try to give their kids an advantage in athletics, at least at an early age, and sometimes it is more developmental emotionally. But you would still be behind in academics – at least it seems that way to me.

• StillBP
      11:05 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Even with the birthday thing, they typically just turn 18 their senior year (or right before it). I was 17 when I graduated hs bc I have a July bday. It’s not typical to be 19 when you graduate hs unless you were held back a year.

2. Realme
    10:27 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

I’m surprised Matt is safe to drive with those issues.

• J-Dub421
      10:28 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Me too. Sounds like a bit of a hazard.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:29 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

It is what it is…

• RealCatsFan
      10:31 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

When my dad was dealing with his issues, he had a few minor seizures. He was not allowed to drive until he was free of seizures for 90 days. Not sure if it is the same situation for Matt. Prayers to him – that can be tough to deal with – mainly from the embarrassment that it can cause.

• RealCatsFan
      10:32 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Sadly, if Matt does run for office, I wouldn’t put it past some political opponents to try to use it against him.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:37 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Agreed, RealCats, I would be surprised if it’s not used against him. Prayers to him in dealing with this issue.

• Realme
      10:40 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

They are going to use so much material from this show against him too, but we will all be like, “Ha ha, I remember that show. It was hilarious.”

• RealCatsFan
      10:42 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Sounds like what Matt is having is what is called a petite mal seizure. Sometimes that is as simple as a moment of staring off into space. There are probably a lot of people walking around having these on occasion who are undiagnosed. It is totally different than the grand mal seizures that people are accustomed to thinking of when the word “seizure” is tossed around.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:11 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Only wishing Matt the best with his health.
      Stay out of politics. Despite great intentions you can not truly change lives for the better and most importantly:
      The show will suffer.
      Who really listens during annual summer vacation?

• Yeah, I used to work for someone who had some kind of seizure issue like that, and traveling was a part of his job. He once had a seizure and couldn’t drive for 90 days so I had to drive him, kinda like Driving Miss Daisy! I got to eat some pretty decent meals on the company dime while we were traveling, so that was cool.

3. runningunnin.454
    10:38 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

You don’t pronounce it z a n g. It is JewZAHNG, emphasis on 2nd syllable. It is of French derivation.

4. Realme
    10:51 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

That guy deserves an angry call from Ryan.

• J-Dub421
      10:52 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Agreed.

5. J-Dub421
    10:53 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Never say anything online that you wouldn’t say to their face.

6. Iamheasyouarehe
    10:59 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

I’ve eaten the Pickle in a bag on many occasions, not in the last 20 yrs though.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:14 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Clausen remains the bare minimum in pickle quality these days- Always looking for sublime deli Spears or whole dills. But I will never turn down a reasonable cold dill. Yeah, I know…bud- duh- bum.

• I hate dills, but I like sweet pickles. We have a local brand made in AL called Wickles Pickles that does the sweet hot pickles. They’re great! They put a couple of those red Chinese or Thai chilis in the jar and, while they’re not what I would call habanero hot, they’ve got a little more kick than if it was jalapeno.

• Oh, and they toss in some garlic and stuff too.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:18 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

A good cold dill and popcorn, bite of pickle and some popcorn can’t be beat. Sounds crazy I know, but try it.

• RealCatsFan
      11:18 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

I guess I may be the weird one here, but I hate pickles. When I was a kid, my buddy up the street used to come over and he would raid our refrigerator. I remember one time when he finished a jar of pickles and then drank the juice, and proceeded to let out nasty pickle belches the rest of the day. That probably ruined me for life.

• J-Dub421
      11:22 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

I don’t like dill period. I leave it out of any recipe that has it.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:25 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Chris those sound incredible- and I don’t usually like sweet pickles but add those peppers!

Best sweets I have tried recently are the Boar’s Head Horseradish bread and butter. Canned too many plain B&B pickles as a kid but that horseradish…

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:28 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Dill is my favorite but I also like a good spicy pickle, also like horseradish.

• And they do have some dills too, also jalapeno relish, a red spicy relish (if you’ve even eaten at a Lenny’s subs, it’s similar to their relish I think).

• CATandMONKEY
      11:43 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Sweet(?) Thanks!

7. RealCatsFan
    11:16 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Ha! Ryan with the classic libertarian take on property ownership. πŸ™‚

• CATandMONKEY
      11:19 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

The correct take on property ownership.
      Minimal restrictions.
      Don’t be loud, don’t make a mess. Don’t be an eyesore.

• J-Dub421
      11:23 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

That’s the problem though. You cannot count on people to not be *ssholes.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:30 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

No you cannot and when they criss boundaries then apply correction.

The idea that all people must be forbidden from doing something because some people will always be @$$hats is dangerous. Would prefer to punish actual rather than potential bad behavior.

Precogs aren’t here yet

8. CATandMONKEY
    11:17 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Go Ryan. Keep on the path of liberty.
    There should be reasonable guidelines.

Matt should DEFINITELY stay out of politics.
    We would all be worse off if his ideas saw the light of day.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:18 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Agree!

• CATandMONKEY
      11:21 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Crazily, I have some philosophical ideas that would make Matt look to the right of Pat Robertson but those are all the areas where Matt fails to be cool. Ha.

• I can’t listen today. What are they fussing about?

• CATandMONKEY
      11:27 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Ryan has rental property and takes the libertarian (small L) angle that he can do whatever he wants with it.

Matt of course…well does his best Matt impression.

• J-Dub421
      11:41 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Ryan is also the bad neighbor who apparently annoys all his neighbors.

• Realme
      11:43 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

What? Blocking off a nearby cul de sac for a concert is not neighborly?

• CATandMONKEY
      11:46 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Ryan totally inconsistent in philosophy and of course, for SO Ryan-reasons.
      Never change!

9. J-Dub421
    11:20 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

The problem with all the air bnb’s is that a constant stream of renters tend to party a lot and be loud and keep people awake in residential areas during the week, not to mention renters don’t take care of the house, stuff gets broken, they leave trash everywhere, etc. Basically they don’t pick up after themselves because it’s not their house. Or at least that seems to be the big problem people are having.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:22 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

That is where owners need to be held responsible for the mess, the noise. You should hold a card just like a hotel.

Rent away but you are responsible for the renters.

• RealCatsFan
      11:44 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

The problem is that often you have to have some kind of laws or regulation in place in order to enforce things like that. It’s kind of funny that Ryan said he would find his parents another house to live in if the neighbors were renting their house out to p0rnographers. The p0rn makers were the ones in the wrong – why should the person who is NOT breaking any laws be the ones forced to move? What if that is your dream house with an awesome view that you have worked your whole life to afford?

As BP said, we need a law against assholeism in general, but then you get nuances on the definition of assholeism.

• RealCatsFan
      11:59 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Oh, and BTW, I found out that the modbot does not approve of p0rn, so obviously Drew is not controlling it.

10. Not listening today or yesterday. Busy, and the show is quite frankly kind of dry in the off season. I might be back in tomorrow.

Anyway,

RCF, the volleyballers were not in ATL this past weekend. I heard they were there a couple weekends ago. BTW, I once asked a bellhop if our convention, or possibly the volleyball tourney, was their biggest weekend of the year, and he said “No. Dragon Con.” I should have known it was a nerd fest like that. Haha.

• RealCatsFan
      11:58 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, doesn’t surprise me – there are a lot more nerds than there are athletes. πŸ™‚

11. Realme
    11:30 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Uh, why would Kroger wash the produce? That’s an at home task.

• ClutchCargo
      11:33 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

Right? I would wash it anyway, under the assumption that they probably didn’t do it right or people have been touching it.

• J-Dub421
      11:40 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

I assume everyone has sneezed on everything and wash accordingly.

12. RealCatsFan
    11:57 am April 24, 2019 Permalink

HaHa, Kentucky Joe as Ryan’s cellmate would be awesome. And give him a guitar.

• Realme