KSR Show Thread 4/23: The latest on Haarms, NFL Draft preview

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Thursday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio, which is coming to you live from Middlesboro, Lexington, and Louisville. Today, Matt and the gang will give you the latest on the Matt Haarms situation, preview tonight’s NFL Draft, and much, much more.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

76 Comments for KSR Show Thread 4/23: The latest on Haarms, NFL Draft preview

1. Laker Cat 18
    10:06 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

The Haarms Watch… Players sent to the NBA: Kentucky 117. Purdue 38. BYU 23.

If he chooses anyone other than Kentucky, he’s choosing based solely on playing time and not chances to get to the NBA.

• runningunnin.454
      10:10 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

He must be wanting to stand out at the 3 line, and shoot…we don’t need that. He won’t be able to do that in the League, either.

10:14 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

They have to be selling him on Shawn Bradley back in 1993. Come on Pope, do what’s best for the kid. Tell him to come to UK!

10:15 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

RG, I see your point, but AD shoots the 3 (and I know Haarms is no AD). Barkley has said the NBA is a terrible game right now because everyone wants to shoot the 3, even centers, and they don’t want to play the post.

10:16 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

Laker, I agree for the most part, but maybe he thinks more playing time will get more scout’s eyeballs on him. Who knows?

10:18 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

Maybe he’s just a big ole tall Mormon from Amsterdam and doesn’t want to play on Sundays.

• runningunnin.454
      10:18 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

Talk about falling off the face of the Earth; I watch more college ball than anyone I know, and even I don’t watch BYU. Not a smart move at all; and I hope Pope told him he’ll have to give up tea, coffee…and sex.

10:25 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

Not if he’s married RG. 😉
      And there’s always decaff. Double 😉

• RealCatsFan
      10:27 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

Welp, so much for the theory that Haarms was waiting to see if EJ went pro before committing to Kentucky.

10:28 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

Laker, I think I remember that he said he wants to go somewhere that he can showcase his game for the NBA. Since he is not likely to significantly change his game in one season, playing time would obviously be what he is looking for. I watch a fair amount of Big 10 basketball, but is there a reason he only played 20 minutes per game at Purdue?

• BobbyBlue
      10:59 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

Yes Clutch,Haarms said he wanted to display his whole game and not be seen only as a back to the basket guy.

10:30 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

Right RCF. If he goes to BYU, then tell that VCU guy to start spending 10 hours a day working on free throws. He’s got to do better than 55%. If fact, send Kyle Macy to tutor him. People in the past have said Cal should do that in some of the years we’ve had a lot of trouble at the line.

• RealCatsFan
      10:32 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

cg, we can just have him shoot his FT’s underhanded granny-style like Pitino did with that one dude several years ago. 🙂

10:35 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

RCF, Rick Barry approves this message. I think Onuaku did it just to go from terrible to bad at the free throw line.

11:35 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

I remember people saying Shaq should do that but he never did.

2. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:14 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

Anything on Haarms?

Thanks, I’ll see myself out. Enjoy the chicken!

Sorry, I had to do it one more time.

10:24 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

Don’t give up yet! There is still the transfer from VCU. And he has a hyphenated name, which has to be a good omen, right? And I’m not sure I buy that he hasn’t heard from UK yet.

10:27 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

BTW, where is 4ever? He and I agree that Pope is out next coach if he keeps winning.

BTW, which school did Pope transfer to UK from? I forget.

10:39 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

In the replacing Cal sweepstakes, I’m starting and ending that list with Bruce Pearl. I know a lot of people will probably disagree with that.

10:40 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

cg, I was somewhat on board with that until this guy called in and tried to argue why Pope is the best choice when the UK job opens again.

10:42 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

There is a lot to like about Pearl, but way too much baggage with that guy. And not just the suspected kind of baggage Cal had.

10:47 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

I’m also a Frank Martin fan, but not sure he can be consistent enough at a school like UK.

With Anthony Grant’s recent success at Dayton, even though he failed in the SEC already, is he at the top of the list?

I think Jay Wright will be a popular choice.

I like Tony Bennett as a person and a coach, but I absolutely hate his style. He’s the only guy I’ve seen who can only score 48 points and win a ball game. B.O.R.I.N.G.

10:49 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

CC, I had to walk away from the PC. What did the guy say?

Laker, Pearl is almost as old as Cal, so that’s a non-starter IMO even without the baggage.

• Realme
      10:49 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

I don’t like any of these choices. Let’s just keep Cal.

10:51 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

With Pearl though, he’s had 1 infraction that caused his career to derail short-term. He’s paid his dues. I’ll probably go Pearl #1 and Jay Wright #2 on a very short list.

10:53 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

cg, Matt (while repeatedly saying he loves Pope) asked him some very pointed questions about how Pope is better than any of the other coaches out there. Point being, get the best coach who will come here, and that most likely isn’t Pope, based on what he has accomplished. He has done a great job at lower level schools, but that’s all at this point.

10:56 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

I looked up Leonard Hamilton at FSU just for kicks. I had no idea he was 71 years old now and has been at FSU for 18 years as Head Coach. That’s crazy! That has to be his last stop, got to retire from FSU at that point.

10:59 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

That’s why I said if he keeps winning. I don’t put him above, for example, Jay Wright currently, but Matt insists Wright would not come to UK. He could be wrong, but someone has to be willing to step into the hornet’s nest that is UK bball coaching. PJ Carlesimo could have had the job before Pitino but he didn’t want it, and he had just come close to winning a natty at Seton Hall.

• 4everUKBlue
      11:04 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

CG, I’ve been busy taking care of my 89 yr old parents, both failing health. I’m still in on Pope to UK after Cal retires and I’m in no hurry. I want no part of Bruce Pearl, he’s too old for one thing, Jay Wright was turned the job down once if I remember correctly so he’s not coming, don’t want Tony Bennett or Anthony Grant. I like that Pope is an ex Cat and still young and upcoming. Why would you hire a new coach who is already in his 60’s? He’ll be mid to late 60’s by the time Cal retires.

11:09 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

Sorry about your parents man. Prayers for all of you.

11:09 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

Laker, it seems like a lifetime ago when Hamilton was a long-time assistant under Joe B. Hall. And he doesn’t seem much older now than he was then.

• Realme
      11:19 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

Cal famously says when Mitch hired Billy, he was crushed. Just like then, the guy is out there, and he’s not on our radar. We just have to hope he’s on Mitch’s radar when the time comes.

11:23 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

Hamilton doesn’t look like he’s over 50 years old. Time has been good to him.

I doubt Pope would be in my top 10-15 top coaches in the country. Heck, I don’t think he’s in the top 4 coaches in his conference. I don’t understand the theory that because someone went to school here, they’d be a great hire. It hardly ever works out and the fan base will always hold that grudge when it doesn’t. Ask Joker.

11:25 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

I honestly have no faith in Mitch’s radar when it comes to hiring a basketball coach. The initial passing on Cal and the ensuing BCG fiasco did that for me.

11:28 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

Laker, that’s pretty much what Matt told the caller, and I completely agree. Pope could end up being the best coach available when we’re looking, but being a UK alum shouldn’t factor too much into it.

11:30 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

The really good thing about the successor to Cal is that I believe that it will be on Cal’s accord. He will help “recruit” the next guy. I don’t think there is an “elite” coach at the college level in the age range to please. Don’t be stunned if it’s not an NBA guy. Would Brad Stevens, Billy D, or a Luke Walton-type guy be interested? The latter was kind of a joke…I would LOVE if Bill Walton turned into a Cats fan!

11:51 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

Laker Cat, again, I wouldn’t hire Pope if Cal retired today. I’m just basically shaking the Magic 8 Ball for the future here. Again, key words, “if he keeps winning”. Maybe I should have added making at least a deep run or 2 in March.

11:53 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

And I don’t see Billy D ever happening. He’s turned us down twice. Brad Stephens would be intriguing if things aren’t going as well in Boston as now, but if things are going well, he won’t come back to college I don’t believe.

I’ve said many times and I still say we probably don’t even know the name of our next coach yet. He may be an assistant or D2 coach somewhere right now.

• 4everUKBlue
      12:05 pm April 23, 2020 Permalink

Like I said, Pope is still young and is up and coming and I like his character, he’s not ready today like CG said, but give him another 5,6 or however many years until Cal retires (and I hope it’s 10 or more) and he may be ready. Bruce Pearl does not fit the UK culture, just like BCG didn’t. If anyone thinks we under a microscope today, imagine what it would be like if Pearl coached here.

3. Laker Cat 18
    10:19 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

Haarms this morning…”I’m about 51% BYU, but I’m gonna listen to KSR this morning to see if it sways me to UK.”

After the show…”I’m 100% committed to BYU.”

10:28 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

Now that’s funny.

4. Realme
    10:30 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

Matt is surprised that he isn’t the only person that obsesses about negative comments on the internet? Seconds after obsessing about negative comments on the internet?

5. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:32 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

Weird. The audio on WHIR just jumped back about 10 minutes for a few seconds. Did it do that on iHeart?

• Realme
      10:39 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

Yesterday afternoon the website jumped back 4 days. It was weird.

10:58 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

Groundhog Day was in February wasn’t it?

11:01 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

I missed the part about the website jumping back in time. That could actually be fun sometimes.

11:11 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

If it jumped back about 10 or 12 years and we saw Matt’s battles with Marc Maggard, that would be the best.

11:14 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

Ha! I was a member at Maggard’s site at that time. It was just as much fun to see that from the other side. Fortunately I was smart (or maybe cheap) enough to not fall for the lifetime membership deal.

• Realme
      11:17 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

I thought I had somehow entered my browsing history, but it was just full on only showing articles from the 18th.

11:25 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

What happened to Maggard? It’s been a minute since I’ve seen or heard from him.

11:30 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

I came in when that thing was already in full swing from what I remember, so I wasn’t around for the beginning. But every since then, I have to shake my head when Matt whines about how someone treats him. He has always been merciless with people.

On Twitter he has said he gets the nastiest comments from people who have Christian and such on their profiles. That may be, but I wonder if those just stand out more in his mind. I challenged him fairly strongly a few times on his political views and he snapped back at me once. He may put me in the same category. He had tweeted that the word “thug” is obviously racist and I challenged him on it. He tweeted back with “Thanks for being the arbiter of what is and isn’t racist”, after he had just done the same thing. lol

11:32 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

Let me qualify that a bit: I do think he’s a good guy, but I think he is pretty bad about holding others to a standard he doesn’t hold himself to when it comes to being caustic and political.

11:37 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

Long story short. I agree with you.

6. dave1964
    10:44 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

You have to scratch your head when these kids say they want more exposure to be able to showcase their game then they pick a them where they will hardly ever be seen again.

7. Jayy
    10:53 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

I love Bowden, but I don’t know about the coaching staff hyping his maturity up (I agree they should try and to this). He lost it and punched a guy before his last game. He will be a target for opponents in the NFL with that attitude. Still have plenty of maturing to do IMO.

11:03 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

By all accounts, he takes care of his business on and off the field, and that probably hasn’t always been the case in his life. I’ll trust the word of the adults who are around him every day and have known him for years.

• runningunnin.454
      11:22 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

He “lost it” because some guy was all up in his face…and the guy got popped; no big deal.
      “You need to ease up out my face before somethin’ bad happen to you…too late”
      Will Smith
      Lynn Bowden

8. runningunnin.454
    10:55 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

Odd that UK is not confident about Haarms; and not contacting the guy from VCU…he’s better on the boards. Of course, I think Cal likes to play with a handicap that provides a challenge. He also likes to play primarily 6-7 guys, and doesn’t see the need for a full bench.

10:58 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

Unfortunately, a full bench at Kentucky means a revolving door of transfers after each season.

• runningunnin.454
      11:11 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

That’s true; I know it happens at other schools, but not to the extent that it happens at UK. Maybe hire a shrink to screen for delusions of grandeur…or does he actually instill that.

• Realme
      11:21 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

It’s about to start happening to all schools a lot more with the new rule. At least we know Cal is pretty good at building from scratch.

• runningunnin.454
      11:30 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

That’s a good point, RM; and most college transfers won’t want to play for Southern New Hampshire University…or BYU.

9. Realme
    11:18 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

Phew that Math With Ryan segment was something.

10. runningunnin.454
    11:25 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

Did y’all take the “which ksr member are you” thing? I’m Shannon the Dude…thankfully.

• Realme
      11:27 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

I’m Ryan. Was scared it would say I’m Matt.

• runningunnin.454
      11:33 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha yep, fate worse than death; I wouldn’t have brought it up if I had been Matt.

11:53 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

I completely missed that until you mentioned it, so I went and did it. Turns out I’m Shannon the Dude. This is starting to feel like a scene from Spartacus. lol

11. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:39 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

The other Sunday one of our men at church taught a Bible class on Zoom. He was saying a closing prayer and someone’s little yappy dog started barking. It was great.

• RealCatsFan
      11:44 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

I find it very amusing that Matt gets irritated with dogs barking and small children crying. Someday his world is going to be turned upside down. 🙂

12. ClutchCargo
    11:48 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know about Bullitt County being “southern.” It’s exactly like a lot of southern Indiana, which is not south of Louisville.

13. RealCatsFan
    11:53 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

HaHa, I love hearing “Smack Talk Alex Trebek”. And the fact that Ryan doesn’t like him makes it even better. 🙂

• RealCatsFan
      11:54 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

And listening to them play the Nerd Rap makes me envision Napoleon Dynamite.

14. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:55 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

So are they going to stay on the air for the Haarms announcement?

11:57 am April 23, 2020 Permalink

Well, there you go.

15. Jayy
    12:00 pm April 23, 2020 Permalink

I think enough time has passed that Matt can give us the real reason he cancelled the show in Harrison Co, instead of that lying car excuse he tried to pass off.