KSR Show Thread 4/21: Just another Quarantine Tuesday

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Tuesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Matt is out again today as his father recovers from surgery, but Ryan, Drew, and Shannon are here to entertain you. Tune in to hear their take on the news of the day, along with whatever else pops up.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

48 Comments for KSR Show Thread 4/21: Just another Quarantine Tuesday

1. Realme
    10:02 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

Major milestone y’all. You can now add tp and paper towels to your Clicklist again. It had been refusing to even let you try to put it in a cart.

• runningunnin.454
      10:08 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

If you’re trying to cheer me up, you will have to do better than that; how’s it look for ncaa football this fall?

• Realme
      10:10 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

Hmmmm. I don’t think they’re gong too have time to get in shape by the time they decide even if it’s yes.

• RealCatsFan
      10:11 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

Mrs RCF deployed the massive industrial roll of TP that she ordered from Sam’s online site when that was all that was available. Hilarious. I need to go TP the neighbor’s house.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:13 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

Well I’m mad because I missed that the preorders for the iPhone SE started Friday, and Walmart is already out of the ones that were on sale for $200. Grrr!!! That was the best deal. A day late and a dollar short again. Story of my life. Okay, I’ll quit with the Bad Luck Schlep Rock.

• Realme
      10:14 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

Walmart website shipping way faster than Amazon for nonessentials fyi.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:18 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

I just feel like throwing in the towel and buying a Jitterbug. I’m tired of smartphone prices!

• ClutchCargo
      10:40 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

I still think there will be a football season in some fashion, even if it’s without fans in the stands the first few weeks. College presidents can say whatever, but football is the breadwinner in all their athletic departments (except the schools that don’t have football), and they know it. Or at least they will realize it when it comes down to it.

• RealCatsFan
      11:23 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

So University-6 has announced furloughs and a 15% pay cut across the board in their athletic department. Wondering if UK will follow suit at some point. I think it would be a huge positive to see Cal and Stoops both pledge to donate their salaries to help pay the salaries of coaching staffs for the non-revenue sports. It is becoming a problem to the extent that some of those sports might go away for good, and that would be a damned shame.

2. Realme
    10:08 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

Also, I got my Jan-Mar 401k statement.

• RealCatsFan
      10:12 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

If you’re like me, you can’t decide whether to laugh or cry. I had to explain to the Mrs that now is not the time to curtail your 401K contributions. Everything is on sale.

• Realme
      10:13 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

I might not open it.

• RealCatsFan
      10:16 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

You might want to do some heavy drinking beforehand. Maybe yesterday (4/20) would have been better.

• ClutchCargo
      10:34 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

I have been taking peeks at my 401(k) online. Like, peeking through my fingers so I wouldn’t be so scared. My investments have done really well over the past several years, so I’m just staying the course. Like RCF said, everything is on sale right now.

3. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:11 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

Any word on Haarms? I’m sorry but I’m going to keep posting that until one of you has an answer! Haha.

• Realme
      10:12 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

Not sounding good. He was expected to commit over the weekend, and seems to have pulled back.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:14 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

Someone on the thread about the VCU guy who’s transferring said tomorrow is Haarms’ bday so maybe he’s waiting for that to announce.

• runningunnin.454
      10:18 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

His birthday is tomorrow; maybe he will give us a nice present.

• ClutchCargo
      10:35 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

My birthday is the day after tomorrow, so I would take a 7′ – 3″ transfer.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:15 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

My older daughter is in mourning today now that official word has come out that she will never get to walk the halls of her high school again, nor have a senior prom, nor possibly even a formal commencement ceremony. They have formed a committee to explore alternate ideas. One was a “virtual graduation” via video. Lame – they have to do something where they physically walk across a stage and pick up their diploma, IMO – even if they have to line them up 6 feet apart and do it one at a time.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:20 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

I agree man. I don’t know the answer, but it seems like they could do something. Of course, even if they tried to have multiple ceremonies and divided them up, you’re going to have folks saying “But my best friend is in the other one!”

• RealCatsFan
      10:27 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

They are also talking about the drive-in option, and maybe making it like a parade. If so, I am going to decorate my car to look like Flounder’s Lincoln Continental in “Animal House”. 😀

• Realme
      10:28 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

That’s a real bummer.

• RealCatsFan
      10:59 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

There was some discussion about trying to hold it on the football field with proper spacing between everyone, but sounds like that might get shot down by the gub’ner. I don’t see how spacing everyone 6-8 feet apart outside on a football field could be any worse than a trip to Home Depot, but I guess that’s just me. Of course, that makes the event weather dependent too, but sounds like there is no escaping that.

• Realme
      11:02 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

Your Home Depot argument is the problem. People can’t be trusted to do it right.

• RealCatsFan
      11:20 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

Realme, that is probably the main argument that the gub’ner has against it. And I understand. But it still sucks. 🙁

• Realme
      11:22 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

It does. That should have been the most fun semester of her life.

• RealCatsFan
      11:26 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

To add insult to injury, she had to cancel a journalism seminar in NYC, and I think you all might have heard me talking about her volleyball coach being out sick back in the fall and her senior season basically imploding. Well, at least she will be somewhat battle hardened against disappointment in the real world. (In an admittedly first-world kind of way – I fully realize that a lot of people have it WAY worse.)

5. runningunnin.454
    10:35 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

How about another No. 1 blast from the past? This one is for the ST guys; ready to fall in love…bet you never met Johnny Angel.
    From a 1962 episode of the Donna Reed Show. BTW, the backup singers and the guitar player are fake, the actual backup vocals were by the great Darlene Love and the Blossoms, and the guitarist was Glen Campbell.

• RealCatsFan
      10:54 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

I always thought Donna Reed was a classic, all-American beauty. She literally grew up as an Iowa farm girl.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:57 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

RG, if you haven’t seen these GREAT documentaries on “Session Men”, you should:

It turns out the drum intro to “Be My Baby” was a mistake but they went with it and it became iconic.

This video is just part of one of the documentaries. There are videos about session men in Nashville, Memphis, and Muscle Shoals, AL (maybe more). I knew Glen Campbell had played guitar on some Beach Boys records, but I never realized The BB were almost like The Monkees, not playing their own stuff in the studio and then sounding different on stage. A guy says in one of these docs that a lot of people don’t realize that (paraphrasing from memory) most singers didn’t have their own band in the studio, but it’s session musicians. I didn’t back then, but The BB were a BAND, not a singer or a du-wop quartet standing their empty handed.

• Bluehender
      11:01 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

Thanks for putting that on here rg. My wife really enjoyed it.

• runningunnin.454
      11:06 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

More useless trivia rattling around in my head; Donna Reed won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress in “From Here to Eternity”.
      And, Darlene Love and the Beach Boys were from the same town, Hawthorne California. Must have been something in the water there.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:37 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

A 6’7 dude who is not an explosive athlete and not a shooter? Meh. I’d pass. I have a feeling that there is not going to be a lot of interest around basketball next year, at least at the start of the season.

• runningunnin.454
      10:46 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

He’s a wide body and good on the boards; I think we’ll have several scorers. I would like to see Cal get a bunch of transfers, and get a full roster.

• RealCatsFan
      10:49 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

Maybe he can be a Dennis Rodman type rebounder. If that’s the case, I’m good with it. At any rate, I guess it’s 5 more fouls to give and another body in practice. Lord knows we need that!

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:59 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

He’s apparently a 55% FT shooter. 🙁

• RealCatsFan
      11:00 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

We are going to miss the FT shooting of last year’s team. That was by far the best FT shooting team in Cal’s history.

• ClutchCargo
      11:04 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

We really had the pieces to make a strong run in the tournament. That FT shooting would have come in handy, since that has seemed to seal our fate several times over the years.

• Realme
      11:36 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

Can he block shots? Knock some guys around?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:50 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

I don’t know if he’s a shot blocker but apparently he is a banger, and I would love to have that. His best games were apparently against the best competition, like LSU and UT. That FT % though.

• runningunnin.454
      11:54 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

He averaged 1.3 blocks/game…compared to 1.7 for Charles Barkley in college. Yes, I know he’s not another Barkley. But not bad for 6’7″.

7. runningunnin.454
    11:18 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

AD’s house price is really low; it must be in the middle of nowhere.

• ClutchCargo
      11:42 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

It kind of is, for him. That neighborhood is about 40 miles away from the Staples Center, which is a long time in the car in LA.

8. runningunnin.454
    11:43 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

That documentary about UK breaking the race barrier in the SEC was excellent. I thought it was funny when Houston Hogg said the coach put a $10 bill down, and said this is what you get at other schools, and then put down a $100 bill down, and said you get this at UK. Hogg thought he was getting $100 to sign with UK…but after he signed the guy put both bills back in his pocket.

• ClutchCargo
      11:55 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

I meant to record that and completely forgot. I’m guessing it will be on again.

9. RealCatsFan
    11:56 am April 21, 2020 Permalink

OMG, so Nick Roush actually named his child Duke? I understand that it’s a family name, but wow, imagine having to hear UK fans all your life saying how much they hate Duke? Maybe OK as a middle name, but first name for a guy who is a UK fan and KSR writer? 🙂

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      12:07 pm April 21, 2020 Permalink

Maybe he’s a Busch’s Baked Beans fan.