KSR Show Thread (4/2): Lifetime contract talk

On today’s edition of Kentucky Sports Radio radio, Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond are back in studio to discuss Coach Cal’s new lifetime contract at Kentucky.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

103 Comments for KSR Show Thread (4/2): Lifetime contract talk

1. Bigblueswami
    10:01 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Wish he didn’t do a lifetime contract. Was hoping Cal was running for governor with Matt as his running mate

10:03 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Why would you want to tarnish Cal’s reputation? Matt’s answer to every issue would be “it is what it is.”

• runningunnin.454
      10:06 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

That’s funny; but, Matt thinks the U.S. Senate is an entry level office. Hee Haw.

• He also thinks it’s not fair that Rhode Island has the same number of senators as California. That tells you all you need to know.

10:18 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

The system is obviously rigged Chris.

10:24 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

What I was trying to say is I’m not a fan of the Electoral College, never have been.

• We’ll have to disagree on that one then.

10:40 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

I believe the people are better served if popular vote elects the prez.

• ClutchCargo
      10:48 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Then you would have Presidents elected by the most heavily populated states. They wouldn’t even bother to campaign in KY and would strictly cater to what gets votes in those heavily populated states.

• runningunnin.454
      10:49 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Have to disagree, Iam. The EC was created for a reason. With the popular vote, you just get the East and West coasts running the show, and the fly-over states have no voice.

• J-Dub421
      10:51 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

If the electoral college is so great, why don’t we use it for all elections?

10:56 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Not my intent to argue because I know you’re way smarter than me runnin’ but…https://www.thealternativedaily.com/electoral-college-is-bad-for-our-country/

• Sorry, but I don’t want New York and Kommiefornia electing the president every time. We’re almost to that point even WITH the EC.

That’s all the politics I will say today.

GO CATS, AND BOO POLITICS & STICK TA SPORTS ON THE SHOW THREAD!!! Haha.

Sorry, that’s my lame shout out to weneedpitino.

• StillBP
      11:04 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

goodness, I would not want the California and New York morons deciding who is President for us.

• StillBP
      11:04 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

haha Chris I was typing my comment and someone asked me a question at work so yours wasn’t up when I typed mine.

• runningunnin.454
      11:05 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Ha ha, I’m not smarter than you; we just have different opinions. I think the Founding Fathers were afraid that a mad man could possibly manipulate public opinion.
      I’m not an authority on Germany; but, didn’t that happen there?

• Realme
      11:05 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Agree I want Kentucky to have a voice in the Presidential election.

11:20 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

runnin’ you’re literally working on people’s brains, if you’re not smarter that me your patients are in big trouble. Haha

• CATandMONKEY
      11:24 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Ahh the tyranny of the majority- regardless of how ill-informed. I do NOT mean you personally IAM ( lyrics from my #1 Fab4song)

As laid out by others, the college is in line with our Constitutional Republican form of government.

No electoral College; we will have Presidents at the whim of 6-9 metropolitan areas.

That is not representative of this country.

11:33 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Let’s change the topic to fave Fab 4 songs.

• runningunnin.454
      11:39 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

But, seriously, Iam…can you actually pick just one? I would get a headache.

11:46 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

No way I could even narrow it down to even 10 runnin’. Been a fan “All My Life”. See what I did there?

2. runningunnin.454
    10:03 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Looking forward to the final four; one team each from the ACC, SEC, Big10, and Big12. Only one blue blood program, Michigan State, and they’re a fringe blue blood.
    Condolences to the talking heads that expected three ACC teams in the FF; they lost two No.1 seeds and underachieved.

• ClutchCargo
      10:07 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Too bad ESPN had to cancel their plans to shut down for a watch party while dook and UNCheat played in the title game.

• ClutchCargo
      10:11 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

But I agree on looking forward to the final four. I’m cheering for Virginia just because they will win me some cash in my office bracket pool if they win.

• Bigblueswami
      10:14 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

I like to refer to this one as the Final Bore.
      First team to 50 wins

10:16 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

I’m rooting for Auburn since they’re an SEC team who we beat twice and who also beat Kansas and UNCheat by 20.

• runningunnin.454
      10:17 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

After the first game, and we lost to Dook by 34, and we lost to Seton Hall and ‘Bama, UK steadily improved, and Dook regressed. By the end of the season, the Blew Devils were staggering.
      Now who underachieved, Cal or Count K?
      The trolls and Negative Nancy commenters on KSR crack me up; zero basketball acumen.

• StillBP
      10:20 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

I’m rooting for Texas Tech because I don’t know one single person who cheers for them. I won’t have to listen to any bragging.

10:21 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

And duke did not play as a team, Barrett was a ballhog trying to inflate is numbers for the draft. Zion, the best player in the nation didn’t see the ball in the final 2 minutes.

• I have generally pulled for the SEC in bowl games & March Madness, but a Bham talk show host (their show gets pumped to a Montgomery station) made a good point. Why would you pull for Bama (if you’re a fan of another SEC team) in the natty when Saban’s coming into YOUR state and getting YOUR 5 stars by telling them they’ll play for championships at Bama and not the home town/state school? I thought, you know, he’s right (Damien Harris, Jedrick Willls anyone?).

And Cal is going into other states and getting their 5 stars (most notably Monk from Arkansas…most notably because of how that one talk show host reacted to it) telling them the same stuff.

I’m probably still pulling for Auburn, but it made me think.

• Oh, I forgot to add, I remember reading here that a Bama assistant was on the sideline when we played them a few years ago, and looked at Harris (still in HS) and made a basketball shot motion and shook his head no.

• runningunnin.454
      10:30 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Sorry, BP but TT was my dark horse out of the Big12 so I will shriek like a crow. Ha ha.
      And, BigBlueSwami and CG are on a roll, Final Bore and rule of 51…ha ha ha.
      But TT and Auburn play fairly exciting ball.

• Realme
      10:31 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

I don’t choose who to root for based on recruiting. I want Auburn to keep going, so that the SEC can have the championship instead of the ACC or Big Ten. I also appreciate how they beat Kansas and UNC badly (even though the media didn’t notice). War Eagle.

• ClutchCargo
      10:35 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

I cheer for what benefits me! lol In this case, it’s all about the Benjamins. Actually, it’s just one Benjamin.

• My life story is it’s all about the Lincolns.

• StillBP
      11:07 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

lol runnin I’m good w you shrieking since I only “talk” to you on here. Go TT!

• StillBP
      11:08 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

I can’t cheer for Auburn bc after they beat us, all the Louisville and Indiana fans I know were shouting war eagle. F that stupid saying and that team. Sorry.

• RealCatsFan
      11:13 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

HaHa, cg, I have two daughters, so I know what you mean. There was a video out years ago that had a bunch of dads rapping about “The Dad Life” and doing dad things, and one of the funniest lines was “I’ve got dozens of dollars, and that’s nice, it goes straight to my daughters and my wife.”

• runningunnin.454
      11:16 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

You have to admit war eagle is better than rock chalk jayhawk, or whatever it is they say.

• StillBP
      11:24 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Idk runnin, at least Kansas is the Jayhawks. Auburn Tigers…war eagle…yes I know the story but it annoys me.

• StillBP
      11:25 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

especially when they throw in war damn eagle. and then the other day I saw “weagle weagle war damn eagle’ whatever the hell that means.

• RealCatsFan
      11:27 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

There are a lot of mascots and traditions that make no sense. What about UNCheat and that stupid ram mascot? I guess no one could figure out what a “tar heel” should look like, so they picked some random animal instead. C’Mon, they are not the North Carolina Rams.

Stanford is another one that makes no sense to me – they are The Cardinal, and they have a dude dressed up like a pine tree running around the place.

• StillBP
      11:28 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

yeah ‘fear the tree’ is another annoying one

3. BigJohnC
    10:11 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Lol. K underachieving with more talent is priceless

4. It also makes no sense for UCLA to offer Cal less money when they’re in a state/town that costs 100 times as much to live in as Lexington.

• RealCatsFan
      10:53 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

I guess they just figured that the allure of the City of Angels would make up for it. πŸ˜‰

• J-Dub421
      10:56 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

UCLA is notoriously cheap. Alford used to complain about his travel budget for recruiting.

5. Realme
    10:25 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

I can’t take much more of my co-workers, y’all. There’s the ones who offer condolences. No one died. There’s the ones who say the fan base is disgruntled with Cal. Not that I’ve seen, outside of the normal kooks. There’s the ones who complain about OAD, but can’t explain what Cal should be doing differently.

• Yep, let’s recruit nothing but 2 and 3 stars.

• Bring back the guys that Gillespie was recruiting on that level.

10:34 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Jealousy is a horrible thing realme.

• ClutchCargo
      10:38 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

I really get a kick out of the ones who say we should recruit mostly 4 year players, with a couple of one and done types sprinkled in. It would be great if it actually could work out that way each year, but in reality, you would miss on the stars and have a mid-major quality team most of the time.

• runningunnin.454
      10:38 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Some people are just fools. The OAD is going to change; and Cal may get players for 2, 3, and 4 years.
      Actually, it sounds like Cal is thinking our three freshmen should return. I hope they are not blinded by “potential” walking around money, and think long term.
      They should look at the game tape of the Auburn game, and ask themselves, “can I play in the NBA like that”.

• runningunnin.454
      10:47 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

One thing for sure; if recruiting and the game changes…Cal will improvise; and K will copy. Me too, Me too, Me too.

• RealCatsFan
      10:52 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

rg, you forgot the part about K getting credit by the drooling media of being an innovator after he copies Cal.

• runningunnin.454
      11:12 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Ha ha, RCF; I didn’t forget; but, that’s what a mute button is for.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:32 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

The most effective dismissal of such detritus is to briefly cop the arrogant UK fan posture and.throw out any one of 3 dozen UK superlatives that they will never even sniff…or

Choose any of 400 scandals that they cannot explain away.
      Depends on how much you want to hangout with these peeps in the future.

• Realme
      11:58 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

That’s the thing, C&M. These people are UK fans. I’m starting to wish I had opposing fans trash talking me intead.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:51 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

What could be more redneck than naming your county after what comes out of the end of a gun? πŸ™‚

7. RealCatsFan
    10:56 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Missed posting on the ST yesterday because we took our firstborn on a visit to WKU. I have to say their campus was very nice, and with the schollies she would be eligible for they would basically be paying her to attend there. Going to visit NKU tomorrow, and UK on Thursday.

Mrs. RCF and I were listening in to KSR on the drive down. Hopefully she just listens to the show and doesn’t read all the comments, or I might get busted someday. πŸ™‚

• Realme
      11:03 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

I’ve always wondered if my husband would be able to recognize me on here. Not if I said something obvious, but would he just read my comments and be like “this person sounds like my wife”.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:59 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

I think Pearl has the kind of personality that could handle the spotlight of the UK coaching job, but I don’t think he would be able to recruit as well. And yes, I do realize that Cal had a couple FF’s vacated, but he was never directly implicated nor did he have a show clause like Pearl did.

• J-Dub421
      11:03 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Thankfully, it’s a moot point now. Cal for life!

• runningunnin.454
      11:11 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

J-D; the whiners’ and criers’ heads are exploding.

9. Iamheasyouarehe
    11:13 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Wow, Jerry Stackhouse is being considered for Vanderbilt’s coaching job?

• RealCatsFan
      11:17 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Where did they did him out from?

11:22 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

He is currently a Memphis Grizzlies assistant. Is that what you were asking RealCats?

• Realme
      11:23 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Will this be another Penny situation, or does he have experience and coaching success?

11:25 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

The article in on KSR above realme.

• Realme
      11:29 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

What, you want me to read the answer for myself? πŸ™‚

11:39 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Ha ha Realme. His only coaching experience as far as I can tell is being an asst for the Memphis Grizzlies.

• grammarpoliceUK
      1:54 pm April 2, 2019 Permalink

He was also an assistant at the Toronto Raptors and coached their G League team. Actually more experience than Penny had.

• grammarpoliceUK
      1:56 pm April 2, 2019 Permalink

Was under our man Dwayne Casey at Toronto.

10. ClutchCargo
    11:14 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Man, that story about the people going around collecting people’s DNA is kind of scary. What if their DNA ends up at some crime scene? No telling what these people are up to.

• RealCatsFan
      11:16 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

The ultimate invasion of privacy…

11:23 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

My sister is big into the family tree on Heritage.com and wanted me to submit my DNA, she got mad when I refused.

• Realme
      11:26 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

I think it’s cool when a serial killer gets caught because a relative adds their dna to a database. But controlling your own sample and choosing to have it analyzed is different than handing it over to a rando on the street. However, we would have to walk around in full body suits if we were worried about strangers collecting our dna to leave it at crime scenes. With touch dna suspects simply touch their car door handle and get busted.

• StillBP
      11:31 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

I agree Real, I love it when on Dateline or 48 Hours the killer is caught bc of a family member doing a DNA thing and they found relative DNA in the database.

• ClutchCargo
      11:31 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

It’s probably a stretch to worry about it being at a crime scene. But in this situation, they would have your DNA and your physical description (and maybe your name) if they wanted to use it for something bad. It just seems really shady.

• Realme
      11:33 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Okay I read an article. They only take samples from Passport Health customers. Is that an insurance company? Still can’t make sense of it.

• RealCatsFan
      11:39 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Yes, Passport is a health insurance company.

11:43 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

I just don’t feel safe about my DNA being in the hands of someone I don’t know.

11. ClutchCargo
    11:27 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Silly caller, there is no ability of Quade Green that would have made a difference against Auburn.

• J-Dub421
      11:33 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

The only thing I can think of is that Quade was a good entry passer, and that is something Ashton struggled with.

• RealCatsFan
      11:35 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Much was made about our guards getting beat on defense, but the turnovers, particularly by Hagans, were a bigger issue in my mind. That is why I thought Cal made a weak argument against playing Quickley more by saying that he was missing shots. Hagans was missing shots AND giving the ball away.

11:50 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

You know RJ Barrett had 7 turnovers too.

• ClutchCargo
      11:52 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Exactly, RCF. The defense was good enough. We just didn’t score enough points due to all the turnovers.

12. J-Dub421
    11:31 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Idiot caller, who are you going to get that’s better than Coach Cal?

• Realme
      11:33 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

That guy might as well be my co-worker. Asked a direct question that points out your absurdity? Do back flips to avoid answering.

• RealCatsFan
      11:41 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

I have yet to see any of the trolls bitching about Cal to offer up a viable candidate to replace Cal who would actually come to UK. They forgot how far down the list Barnhart had to go when Tubby left. And we all know what he ended up with. (Now where’s that Men in Black mind eraser?)

• speaksthetruth
      1:36 pm April 2, 2019 Permalink

I told you all they will wait to see who wins it all and say that is the best coach. That’s the sort of logic they will use.

• J-Dub421
      11:50 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

He wouldn’t answer because he knows he doesn’t want Kevin Ollie and that Ollie is not better than Coach Cal. The haters can NEVER name a coach who’s better than Coach Cal that we could actually get.

13. Realme
    11:36 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Oh for Pete’s sake. How does someone Matt’s age not know that is a Pearl Jam song?

11:52 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

And how can anyone his age not recognize Eddie Vedder’s voice? Which is pretty much the same question.

14. RealCatsFan
    11:37 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

The Foo Fighters’ rendition of “Everlong” that they did on the last David Letterman show was awesome. Even better was the acoustic rendition of “My Hero”. I used that one for a video tribute for my dad on his birthday last year. May he RIP.

15. J-Dub421
    11:55 am April 2, 2019 Permalink

Stackhouse can’t be that smart, he went to UNC and none of them can read.