KSR Show Thread 4/18: So long, Jemarl

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Thursday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will discuss Jemarl Baker’s decision to transfer from Kentucky, what it means for next year’s roster, and whether it’s further proof of a growing trend in the Calipari era. Plus, they caught those guys driving around Louisville in a white van giving people money for their DNA!

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

76 Comments for KSR Show Thread 4/18: So long, Jemarl

1. Realme
    9:58 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

I think I hate transfers more than early NBA departures. A dude would rather sit out a whole year than try to play here. Makes me sad.

• ClutchCargo
      10:01 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

Does it seem to anybody else like the west coast players just tend to get homesick or never want to leave home in the first place? I’m sure it happens with people from all over, but I can think of a few instances right off the top of my head where it has affected us.

• nocode96
      10:44 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

Clutch, spot on man. They do get homesick, I don’t blame them. Now, I love the rolling hills, green grass, and farms of Kentucky more than anything, to me, Kentucky is beautiful. But…I was born and raised there. Lexington is very underwhelming when you’re used to LA, San Francisco, Seattle, San Jose, Vegas, and even Portland. Not to mention every other city in California alone. I think these kids see UK calling, and think “I can make it in Lexington a year or two”, but if that year or two looks like it’s going to be longer (Wiltjer, Lee, and now Baker), they just miss the family, the entertainment, and the hustle and bustle. Can’t blame them one bit. I lived in Portland for a couple years, and GOD did I yearn for western Kentucky all the time. I’m in a big city up north now and I daydream several times a day about how great it’s going to be to go back home one day.

• ukcamel
      10:08 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

Early NBA departures are fine, it’s the early G-League/undrafted departures that are frustrating.

As far as transfers, some guys are probably better off leaving. Harrow being maybe the best example. He was not the kind of PG Cal wanted and his size made it hard for him to compete in the SEC – but he was great against smaller competition at Georgia State.

I also think Wiltjer made the right choice, and probably Matthews too. I’ll never understand why Marcus Lee left and I think we beat UNC if we had his size and athleticism out there.

10:15 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

I don’t understand why Matthews left. He could have done the same things at UK that he did at Michigan. He was the same player there, just more polished and developed with time and experience. Same with Wiltjer. Staying at UK would have forced him to become a better defender, and he already had the offensive repertoire. Going to Gonzaga didn’t develop him at all, just hid his defensive deficiencies.

• ClutchCargo
      10:16 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

To me, it’s not so much that transferring is the right or wrong choice for them, as much as it always seems like a lateral move at best, and then we’re left with a hole in the roster.

• Further proof that (ahem) “I” am correct in that we need a couple of pure shooters EVERY year Kenny Payne. Where are 3s coming from next year? BEE – (I don’t wear blue) rad?

10:29 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

Every team needs shooters. Quickley can shoot, Brooks and Maxey can shoot as well, I think.

• I hope you’re right. Quickley showed some good signs.

• StillBP
      10:33 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

Quickley shot 35% from the 3 last year, I would expect him to take more next year. Hagans was 28%, hopefully there is improvement there. Look how much PJ improved on his 3s (from 24% in 2017 to 42% in 2018), and he’s not a guard. Here’s hoping our guards work hard on those shots in the off season.

10:35 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

I hope one of them finds consistency. The whole thing where we never knew if we’d be making shots or not in any given game last season was stressful.

• ClutchCargo
      10:36 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

I am confident that Quickley will be a better shooter. And Hagans’ mechanics are plenty good enough to be a good shooter. I think he is just one of those guys who could always get to the rim with ease in HS, so he didn’t need to shoot jump shots and never really got comfortable with it.

10:42 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

Hagans just needs more confidence in himself and his shooting. His shot looks good.

2. ClutchCargo
    10:11 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

I missed the beginning of that, but for a second there I thought Matt was saying he is a thick skinned guy.

10:14 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

I missed it too. Bet he also thinks he’s self aware.

10:17 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

It was the angry texter/caller from yesterday. (Who is clearly NOT thick skinned, but thinks he is.)

• ClutchCargo
      10:18 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, I finally caught on that he was reading a message from the angry caller. Either way, thick skinned does not describe Matt or that guy.

10:20 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

Darn, missed the whole thing. Bet the guy is still too cowardly to answer the phone.

10:21 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

We’ll find out today.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:22 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

He said he would call in today, can’t wait to hear that.

• ClutchCargo
      10:22 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

Maybe he’s one of the multiple-personality trolls on here.

10:22 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

I hope he catches Matt, Shannon or Ryan in a grumpy mood!

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:23 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

Matt said the texted him several times to ask him why he wasn’t answering his phone and he said he got tied up but would be available today.

• Matt is definitely not thick skinned. He seems to be able to get along with folks he doesn’t agree with politically when he has them on the show, but he’s generally pretty thin skinned.

• Oh, and the best example of that is when he went insane on the guy that said “I never got my Wendy’s”. Granted, that was probably only a 7 dollar combo, but still.

10:30 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

Well, this guy isn’t exactly bringing anything to the table.

• ClutchCargo
      10:31 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

Man, this call sucks. Dude had like 24 hours to think of relevant stuff to say, and he comes with a bunch of garbage that’s barely intelligible.

10:34 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

He’s whiney and arrogant. “James” thinks everything is about him. He needs to get over himself. It’s the same problem VirginaCat and several other posters have. They think the fans and fans opinions (really THEIR opinions) are the most important part of the program and the only thing that matters.

10:36 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

Ugh, make him stop.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:37 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

Didn’t he just say he doesn’t listen to the show then turn right around and say he does?

• ClutchCargo
      10:38 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

If he gets anymore than this one minute, I’m turning it off.

10:38 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

Worse than a Ky Joe call.

10:39 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

Call James a Waaambulance.

3. Iamheasyouarehe
    10:24 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

Matt likes this call me maybe song???

• ClutchCargo
      10:27 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

Of course he does. It’s probably a good tune to listen to while getting a pedicure. 🙂

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:29 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

Hahaha!

4. J-Dub421
    10:30 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

This dude is a rambling, incoherent redneck. I can barely understand him.

5. recliner coach
    10:42 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

For consistent shooters need consistent playing time. Cal will let 1 kid play an entire NCAA game making mistake after mistake then in the regular season 1 mistake for different players and they are out. Sometimes playing 1 minute it seems. Mistakes need to be corrected but yanking somebody after 1 mistake will keep them from playing aggressive next game. Some kids need to learn hands on in live games or practice. Having them watch or coach them on the bench does not work for all kids.

• You and Matt preach it! I love Cal, but some of his moves are infuriating. I have no problem with yanking a guy and giving him an earful when he needs it, but keeping Jemarl out the whole game? Having a 100 foot leash for Hagans and a 12 inch one for Baker? Maddening. Absolutely maddening.

11:20 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

Fair point.

6. runningunnin.454
    10:43 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

Late to the show; caught just a little of that; but, I think I’m glad I missed it.

10:45 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

Yeah. Complaining texter from yesterday gets a loooong call and makes 0 coherent points and says nothing interesting.

10:46 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

But Matt can’t stand someone not liking him so he tried to make friends.

• ClutchCargo
      10:59 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

Matt is in for a wakeup call if he goes forward with his political aspirations. When he gets in situations that are not completely under his control, he just can’t handle it.

• RealCatsFan
      11:25 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

If Matt wants any semblance of a normal life, he will stay out of politics.

7. Realme
    10:47 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

Sports is really over. I took down my schedule / bracket, and am now thinking of it as last season. Sigh.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:48 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

Wow, Matt is throwing out some red meat for the anti-Cal trolls. That being said, I cannot disagree with what he is saying. Many coaches develop favorites and make questionable substitutions, and Cal is no different. Still, it is my sincere hope that he is not letting personal arrogance get in the way of making some decisions during games.

10:51 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

Agree. But you could say that about lots of coaches. How was his highness Count K coaching in the tourney this year? Not good.

• I don’t know if it’s personal arrogance or not, but someone needs to make him check himself (see my comment above in reply to “recliner coach”). Only one can possibly do that IMO.and her initials are Ellen Calipari.

• BTW, I’m signing out now. About to leave for Hotlanta! Haha. Wasn’t it Matt who said he hates it when folks call it that?

10:53 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

Yeah I wouldn’t call it arrogance, he just has a tendency to keep the rotation small, and then shrink it more at the end of the year. It’s what he does instinctively. But I wish Robic or someone would get in his ear sometimes.

• RealCatsFan
      10:57 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

I hate to use the “P” word, but that is one of the things that I liked about Pitino when he used to coach UK. He knew how to use his bench, and he often used it as motivation. Cal is walking a very thin line with not having a full roster of capable players. Foul trouble and injuries happen! It’s fine to have a short rotation in a tough, tight game, but you better develop a bench too, or you could be in a world of hurt if something bad happens.

11:02 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

Agree. Not one of Cal’s best qualities. Doesn’t mean he’s not a great coach, just an aspect of his style that is frustrating.

• runningunnin.454
      11:10 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

May just be coincidental; but two transfers out this year is unsettling. Add PJ leaving, and two freshmen that I don’t really think are ready is making we wonder about things.
      Only Nick left out of an eight man class, wow.

• StillBP
      11:15 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

runnin, I don’t think I’d include the 2 freshmen who you don’t think are ready in there, but that’s just me. Happens all the time here w Cal. Seems like the Maserati’s and Audi’s are more of a draw than walking around campus for a free scholarship.

11:19 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

Some of it is Cal being stubborn, but some of it is also the players. I’m not at practice everyday, so I don’t know anything for certain, but it seems like some players work a lot harder than others and really put in the effort to improve. Those guys are the ones who improve a lot and make it. (See SGA, Booker, PJ, Herro, etc.)

Some guys choose not to put in the effort. (Derek Willis admitted he didn’t until his senior year.) Those guys struggle.

• runningunnin.454
      11:23 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

I’m no draft expert, by any means, but; all of us saw the UT-Knoxville game and the Auburn tournament game; and if we had managed to get to the Virginia game, do we really think Tyler and Keldon could hang with Guy, Jerome, and Hunter?
      I just hope they aren’t getting bad info from bad actors.

11:27 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

But they’re looking at what they think a guy’s ceiling is, not how good they are right now.

• RealCatsFan
      11:28 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

J-Dub, I see that kind of thing at the level of Juniors volleyball that I coach, so it doesn’t durprise me at all that you see it in Div I basketball.

11:40 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

It’s just human nature. Some people are more competitive and want it more. I once had a girl on my high school swim team (a freshman when I was a junior), ask me if I would slow down and stop going so hard in practice. I was the type who’d push myself until I was on the verge of puking, and generally set the pace in practice. If looks could kill, she’d have dropped dead when I told her “No.”

9. runningunnin.454
    10:54 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

Don’t know if they addressed this; but, I can’t imagine why Kerry Blackshear is transferring from Va Tech?
    Seemed to get plenty of minutes at a competitive program; I actually think he’s following his coach; but, don’t know what he’ll do if UK or other top programs come calling.

• ClutchCargo
      11:02 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

My only concern is, if he is really that good (he is) and is testing the NBA waters, he’s probably going to the draft.

11:11 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

I would think he’d stay in the draft as well.

• runningunnin.454
      11:18 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

Then why enter the transfer portal?

11:21 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

To have a back-up option, I guess.

• RealCatsFan
      11:29 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

I sure hope we get him, because we are going to be awfully thin otherwise.

• ClutchCargo
      11:40 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

His coach left and he wants out of Va. Tech, is my guess.

• runningunnin.454
      11:50 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

Very thin; and I’m bothered by Quade and Baker leaving. Generally, homesickness is a transient thing, and usually occurs the first few months. Lee, Wiltjer, Quade, and Baker…after 2-3 years? Disturbing pattern.

11:56 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

Lee, Quade, and Baker all wanted more playing time and want to be more of the star of the show. Wiltjer wanted to only have to do offense, but not defense. I think Kyle was looking for a different stylistic fit.

10. Realme
    11:21 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

IT IS WHAT IT IS!

11. Realme
    11:40 am April 18, 2019 Permalink

Am I eligible for early release? Nah, I’d miss all 5 puts.