KSR Show Thread 4/17: Tyler Herro and Keldon Johnson

After announcing they will keep their names in the NBA Draft, Keldon Johnson and Tyler Herro will come on today’s KSR to talk about their time in Lexington and what lies ahead. They’ll be in studio starting at 11 a.m., but there’s plenty of fun to be had before that, so turn on that radio or streaming device and let’s get to it.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

102 Comments for KSR Show Thread 4/17: Tyler Herro and Keldon Johnson

1. Realme
    10:06 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Welcome everyone. Time to play “What words will Matt mispronounce today?”

10:30 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Welp, he’s back on the “porsh” bandwagon again. πŸ˜€

2. Realme
    10:09 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Knew he would / should go, but Tyler made me sad. Weird that we don’t have anyone testing the waters.

10:11 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Aaaaaand we have the KSR “we knew about this all along, but couldn’t talk about it” stuff.

I think it’s more obvious what these players should do this time around, but who knows.

10:13 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

I am just wondering what these kids are hearing that is keeping them from going through the normal process. They have even tried to make it easier – they can get an agent, they can go through all the workouts, etc. What is the hurry?

• ^^^This RCF.

• J-Dub421
      10:36 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

I’m guessing they’re hearing that they’re first round draft picks.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:12 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

I’m sorry for being a selfish fan and all that, but this morning I HATE THE NBA!!

• runningunnin.454
      10:56 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

True that, and I don’t trust agents. The revolving door is really distressing this year.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:15 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

I hope I am wrong, but the Negative Nellie in me wonders where our scoring is going to come from next year. We have to hope that one of the freshmen is an absolute stud, or that we get a really good grad transfer like Blackshear, because I just don’t see much offense coming from Baker, Montgomery, Richards, et. al.

• Realme
      10:19 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Hopefully Maxey will be a CONSISTENT scorer. We had some shooters, but no one could be depended on to shoot well any given game this year. And maybe we get that other grad transfer.

Speaking of grad transfers, why isn’t Count K copying Cal yet?

• J-Dub421
      10:25 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Maxey and Brooks are both pretty good.

10:25 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Go cats, and go Dontaie Allen’s physical therapist!!

• StillBP
      10:27 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Quickley’s going to be on fire next season! I think. I hope πŸ™‚ Montgomery can be really good. Excited to see how much he improves.

• I’ve been wondering about all this too. Y’all know I’m not a basher, but the only ‘ship we won: yes, it was a freshman dominated team, but it was with a generational player, and another who wasn’t far behind him. However, we also had some returning experience that year. Oh well…it is what it is. πŸ˜›

10:35 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

We will need somebody to be the go-to guy when we really need a bucket at crunch time. I don’t see a P.J. Washington right now, but hopefully someone can step up.

5. Iamheasyouarehe
    10:16 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Baby you can drive my car, yes I’m gonna be a star…

• runningunnin.454
      10:20 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

I got no car and it’s breaking my heart; but, I got a driver, and that’s a start.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:23 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Would that be Tyler? He’s got no car so far.

• “I.can’t.drive.FIFTY FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!”
      “My Maserati does 185. I lost my license, now I don’t drive…”

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:32 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

I have a limo, ride in the back, I lock the doors in case I’m attacked…

10:35 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Since we are talking car lyrics, see who can place this one…

“I got a 69 Chevy with a 396, fuelie heads, and a Hurst on the floor
      She’s sittin’ outside in the parking lot, beside the seven-eleven store.
      Me and my partner, Sonny built her straight out of scratch,
      and he rides with me from town to town.
      We only run for the money, got no strings attached.
      We shut ’em up and then we shut ’em down.”

• runningunnin.454
      10:35 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Ha ha ha, don’t know; but, you know “drive my car” is a blues euphemism for sex.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:37 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Isn’t that the Boss?

• runningunnin.454
      10:37 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Springstein, Racing in the Street.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:39 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

“Happiness is a warm gun” is also about sex. Bang bang shoot shoot.

10:40 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

I knew I could count on you guys, Iam and runnin’. Yeah, Springsteen is one of my favorites for all the gear head references he sprinkles into his lyrics.

The Manfred Mann song “Blinded by the Light” was written by him, and the line is “revved up like a deuce”, not “douche”. πŸ˜‰

• “I’m travelin’ down the road,
      And I’m flirtin’ with disaster,
      I’ve got the pedal to the floor,
      My life is running faster,”

10:43 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

LOL RCF! That is my all-time favorite misheard lyrics example. Followed closely by “there’s a bathroom on the right” and “excuse me while I kiss this guy.” πŸ™‚

10:46 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Clutch, someone actually wrote a book about lyrics with that title!

• runningunnin.454
      10:47 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Led Zeppelin “The Lemon Song” also about sex. But they stole the “juice runs down my leg” from Robert Johnson’s “Traveling Riverside Blues”.

• Realme
      10:52 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Might be a shorter list to name rock songs that aren’t about sex.

• runningunnin.454
      10:57 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Rm, now what fun is that?

• Realme
      10:59 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

You’re right. Keep going. πŸ™‚

11:13 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Even shorter list would be rap songs that aren’t about ho’s, money, or guns. And that don’t have 17 F-bombs.

• runningunnin.454
      11:15 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

O.K. I’ll go back to Robert Johnson from the mid ’30’s. “Terraplane Blues”.
      “Who been drivin’ my Terraplane for you since I been gone”.

6. Realme
    10:16 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

“People shouldn’t be harsh about the car thing” – says a guy who spent a long time bashing the idea yesterday.

7. MadScientist
    10:17 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

The NBA always prioritizes potential. PJ was a National POY candidate and he’s 24 on mock drafts behind Johnson and Herro. Grant Williams is a 2 time SEC POY and a elite flipper and he’s a second round projection with a list of Juniors and Seniors.

10:22 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Probably splitting hairs here, but NBA teams prioritize guys who can make their team better. If there is a guy who will be at that level maybe next year or the next, you might want to go ahead and draft him before someone else does.

8. ClutchCargo
    10:19 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Please, please, please come on down, Kerry Blackshear! You add a guy like that… Boom! Complete roster.

• J-Dub421
      10:27 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, he’s really good and that would be a great pick-up.

10:45 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Yep – that would be an early Christmas present for me. He needs to talk to Reid.

9. Iamheasyouarehe
    10:26 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

How many Porches did Matt say was in Lexington? Whatever it was I knew it was low.

• Realme
      10:28 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

I think he said less than 30?

10:36 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

I don’t know – most older houses have two porches, but a lot of the newer ones don’t have any. πŸ˜€

10. Realme
    10:30 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

I love the Truth. He says such hilarious things.

10:38 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, he’s completely full of it, but I have come to kind of like him, just a little bit. Sorry to hear about his losses this year. That’s tough, no matter who you root for.

11. One more quick thought and I gotta go run errands before our trip to the ATL:

How long does a team have to be bad or average before they’re not a blue blood any more? The news about UCLA not willing to pay Barnes’ buyout and then hiring Cronin makes me say the Bruins are no longer a powder blue blood. I put IU in that same boat. And, if Barnhart had whiffed again on the bball hire after the BCG debacle, we might be in that boat too.

BTW, I believe Cronin is a good coach, but he’s not a home run hire like Cal was. Maybe he’ll turn out to be, but right now he’s not. Alford was a winner too, but didn’t work out in LA.

• J-Dub421
      10:41 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Alford did okay in LA, but I don’t really consider UCLA a current power blue blood program. They, along with IU, are formerly great programs.

10:43 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

I think Lonzo Ball was Alford’s undoing.

10:45 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Absolutely on Lonzo Ball. I would maybe lean more toward Lavar Ball. But that whole sideshow should have never been allowed anywhere near the UCLA program. Alford could learn a lot from Cal about how to not get involved with all that kind of crap.

12. J-Dub421
    10:39 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Romeo Langford and Trey Young are proof to me that Cal knows what he’s doing. He backed off both for a reason, and as the seasons wore on it was obvious why.

13. ClutchCargo
    10:41 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

I would struggle in the media room if all I could drink was soft drinks or Gatorade type drinks. After my morning coffee, I’m straight water the rest of the day. I quit Diet Coke and all other soft drinks about two years ago, and now I can’t stand any of that stuff.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:42 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

I quit soft drinks 4 or 5 years ago, one of the best moves I’ve ever made, lost about 10 lbs right off.

• J-Dub421
      10:42 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

I have an occasional soft drink, but it’s probably one a week or less.

10:44 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

I might have a diet soft drink every once in a while. Some of my co-workers go through 5 or 6 diet Mountain Dews every day.

• StillBP
      10:47 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

I don’t like coffee or plain water. I suffer through the plain water sometimes, but I’m a fan of tea and flavored waters…I know, they have fake sugar and it’s not good but if I only get one life I’m not spending it drinking plain water!

• Realme
      10:50 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

I’m a sparkling water person. Kroger has a cola flavor now that I love. Those are an acquired taste, though. You have to be months out from tasting actual soda and desperate. πŸ™‚

10:50 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

I had to just quit cold turkey and never look back. Moderation isn’t one of my strengths. I was like your co-workers before I quit, RCF

10:53 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Black coffee and plain water for this guy. And then maybe a little of that other brown liquid in the evening.

• StillBP
      11:00 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Realme, I have tried to acquire that taste. You’re probably right, it hasn’t been long enough since I’ve had the real stuff so I can’t acquire the taste. Bc right now it just tastes like someone sucked the life out of a sprite.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:11 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

I drink sparkling water, I was drinking LaCroix until I found out it contained bad chemicals, now I drink Perrier. A little pricey but very good when it’s ice cold. I only drink water that is reverse osmosis, like High Bridge.

11:11 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Anyone tried the Phocus caffienated water? Couple of local guys started it up. My 2nd born tried it at a tournament one time, and she was all over the court! Now we are called “Team Phocus”. πŸ˜€

• Realme
      11:15 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

I like Phocus. Pricey though.

11:16 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

We have really good tap water where I live. I know, strange for anyone to say that, but it’s true. I like it much better than any bottled water.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:20 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

I won’t drink water with flouride and all the other chemicals and I’ve yet to find any tap water that isn’t full of chemicals.

11:43 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

How do you really know what is going into the bottled water? And then we have the problem with all those plastic bottles. I’ll say this – major props to the dude who figured out that he could get people to pay for something that comes out of a faucet for free! πŸ˜€

11:47 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Most bottled water is just tap water that has had the chlorine or chloramine removed, which means that it now has a shelf life before the bacteria can multiply.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:55 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

That’s why I only drink reverse osmosis. I also only drink Perrier in the glass bottles. The plastic drinking bottles are the worst for drinking from, the gallon ones are not nearly as bad.

14. Iamheasyouarehe
    10:43 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Matt is definitely a peckerhead!

15. Orange Vanilla Coke had one of the worst ads I’ve ever heard. During the tourney, one play by play guys did a promo and said, while the graphics were on screen:
    “Orange Vanilla Coke. It’s orange, it’s vanilla, it’s Coke!”

Well no duh Sherlock!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Realme
      10:47 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

They kept saying “drink it with basketball” like we’re all chewing on rubber while we watch the games.

16. Realme
    10:45 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Body Armor Lyte Orange Citrus is one of my favorite things.

• J-Dub421
      11:12 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

I haven’t tried it. I don’t drink a lot of sports drinks because they have too many calories.

17. RealCatsFan
    11:09 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Ask them how to pronounce Porsche!

11:10 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Aaaauuugh! He said “porsh”! And it pronounced “owdie”, not “oddie”.

• J-Dub421
      11:13 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Ugh, I know.

18. J-Dub421
    11:30 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Wow, they are very diplomatic.

11:35 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Agree. They were having none of that. It’s good that they know to still bite their tongues, because they will need to understand that going forward in their careers.

• Realme
      11:38 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Exactly. What if Keldon ends up on a team with Floppy Williams?

• runningunnin.454
      11:44 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Fortunately, I don’t have to bite my tongue. So, Grant Williams is the biggest flopper since flopping was invented, biggest flopper that never played for Dook where flopping is taught in the Science Dept.

11:50 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Keldon couldn’t outflop Grant Williams on his floppingest day, using an electric flopping machine. To paraphrase Homer Simpson.

19. ClutchCargo
    11:32 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

KSR should ban the use of “exponentially” and “incredibly” for a few days and see how much better the writing and conversation become. Those words are overused to the point that they don’t even mean what they actually mean anymore. Grammar police out.

20. Realme
    11:34 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

I love how quiet we get when we’re listening to player interviews. It’s like my husband and me when the food comes at a restaurant.

• J-Dub421
      11:39 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Lol, that’s the truth.

21. ClutchCargo
    11:38 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

It doesn’t do any harm to bring Will Wade back now. They have him saying he knew nothing about any violations to the school and the NCAA, so now they can be free to fire him with cause very shortly when all that stuff comes out. I don’t believe for one second that he will coach again at LSU.

• J-Dub421
      11:40 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

If Drew is right, and they’re doing it to land recruits, that’s really low.

11:40 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

If not,then it’s a perfect example of the inmates running the asylum.

• Realme
      11:40 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Yes and they may have looked at their options to replace him and decided to wait. No one thinks he’s back for good.

11:42 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Landing recruits is about the only reason I can think of to reinstate him.

22. ClutchCargo
    11:41 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Post-season ban and loss of scholarship(s) is the worst UofLOL will get.

23. J-Dub421
    11:41 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Louisville should have the book thrown at them. They got busted cheating while they were already on probation for cheating.

11:44 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

UNCheat should have had their fake books thrown at them, but we know how that all turned out. πŸ™‚ But I do think UofL will get spanked again.

• J-Dub421
      11:45 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

We both know Duke and UNC are untouchable.

24. J-Dub421
    11:45 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Yes, angry caller/texter, we’re all just dying to hear your crap opinion. I wait with baited breath to hear you stupidly complain about things.

• J-Dub421
      11:49 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Ha! And the dude is a coward who wouldn’t take their call.

• Realme
      11:55 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

We all knew as soon as Matt read his insane comment that he wouldn’t answer the phone and own it.

25. ClutchCargo
    11:54 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

Cue lots of other idiots betting everything they own on someone winning a golf tournament. What’s the over/under on how long it takes him to lose all of that money on other stupid bets.

26. ClutchCargo
    11:57 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

I wouldn’t want a perfectly straight 5 foot putt. There is only one possible way to make that one. But once you make that first one, the next four should be easy because there is a path through the grass that the ball will tend to follow.

11:58 am April 17, 2019 Permalink

*I wouldn’t want perfectly straight in that pressure situation.