KSR Show Thread 4/16: Two big topics to debate

Welcome to the Thursday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will discuss two topics on the mind of every Kentuckian right now: yet another rebuilding year for the basketball team and the protestors outside Governor Beshear’s press conference yesterday. Buckle up!

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

75 Comments for KSR Show Thread 4/16: Two big topics to debate

1. Realme
    10:02 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

So, what’s everyone’s grumpiness level today?

• Realme
      10:08 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

I’m a 4 out of 10, but the day is young.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:09 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

Working from my living room with a cup of java and listening to KSR. I’m around a 3 currently.

10:10 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

10 out of 10 because Matt hemmed (so?) and hawed about having Eric Bischoff on but never contacted him.

10:10 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

I meant (sp?)

• ClutchCargo
      10:13 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

When I first wake up, grumpiness is pretty high. Coffee brings it down to a manageable level. I’m about 3 right now, but that could change a few times today.

10:13 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

I mean, the guy almost immediately PMd me after I tweeted him and said “Glad to do it”.

Yesterday Matt said: “Tomorrow, I think, if I can get him, we’ll have Eric Bischoff.” Seriously? All it took was one phone call or reply to his email.

• Realme
      10:15 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

This is Matt we’re talking about, Chris. Follow through is not one of his strengths.

10:17 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

I know not everyone is into wrestling, but I think one reason he was so willing is he knows it might get him a few more listeners to his podcast.

• ClutchCargo
      10:18 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

Combine that with an unreasonable “do you know who I am?” attitude that is developing, and there you go.

• runningunnin.454
      10:19 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

Hah, you grouches; I’m whistling zippity do dah out my butt. I read all the comments on ksr this morning; and, I’ve never laughed so hard in my life.

10:23 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

7.5 and rising. I think this quarantine/virus stuff is getting to me, along with the wholesale migration of our entire basketball roster. 🙁

10:27 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

And I just heard on the radio that Forecastle is canceled, so Mrs RCF’s grumpiness level will be on defcon-five.

10:30 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

And now they are going to run out of bacon and pork chops! Aaaaaauuuuughhhhh!

• Realme
      10:32 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

That is not acceptable.

• ClutchCargo
      10:40 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

There is currently a huge glut of bacon, but that is going to change with the closing of so many meat packing plants. Now if ribs go away, I’m gonna have a problem. I have a few in the freezer, but it might be time to stock up.

• ClutchCargo
      10:41 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

RCF, there are plenty of pork loins at Kroger when I have been there. Buy one of those and cut your own chops.

10:46 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

Just one more (heh) thing about Bischoff: when I heard back from him that day, I texted the KSR machine, and Matt replied and said tell him to email me at (whatever his email is). I PMd the addy to Eric, and a day or 2 later he said he emailed Matt. I’m quite certain he sent him his number. Another thing about him living in Cody: I’m also quite certain there are areas with spotty cell service (just look at those coverage maps), so that’s all the more reason I hope they don’t think they can call him 5 minutes before the show and book him.

Anyway, let’s have a bracket contest: who was the guest booked for today that 97% of us know?

GO!!!

11:13 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

My teenage daughters are fit to be tied about Forecastle. Don’t blame them. Thanks, China. I am slowly becoming anti-China. Had to watch all my trees dying because of a bug that was brought over here from there, and now this. I guess it’s time for us to really start to get serious about buying American, but sadly, for many products that is difficult if not impossible.

2. Laker Cat 18
    10:08 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

Fox News is reporting that a source in the US intelligence said that COVID-19 was created and leaked from a lab in Wuhan, China where they were trying to compete with the US and Italy on virus vaccinations. The craziest part is China suspended domestic flights to the rest of the country, but DID NOT suspend international flights out of Wuhan.

Source: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/coronavirus-wuhan-lab-china-compete-us-sources

• ClutchCargo
      10:15 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

Saw something about that yesterday. Seriously, China?!

10:16 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

I’m not shocked if true. These are the same type people in charge who gave the order to mow down the protesters in Tiananmen Square.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:18 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

I’m not shocked either…Americans tend to have a habit to fear the folks in the Middle East most…not me. I’ve always said the most 3 dangerous countries on Earth are China, Russia, & South Korea. All 3 are loose cannons and 2 of the 3 have the man-power to back it up.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:20 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

***North Korea! Apologies to the folks in the South.

10:25 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

Totally wouldn’t surprise me, but it also wouldn’t surprise me if our intelligence reports are wrong – i.e., WMD’s in Iraq. At the end of the day it all comes down to who can we trust? (And no, I sure as hell don’t trust the Chinese government.)

• runningunnin.454
      10:38 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

Iraq did have wmd; Hussein used them in the war with Iran, and also on the Kurds in the North.

• Han
      10:40 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

If it turns out to be true, the international fallout is going to be immense. China’s leadership needs to pay. The WHO still has a lot to answer for internationally, too.

But we also need investigations into why President Trump pulled us out of those labs in China, fired our pandemic team and pointman, ignored warnings in December and January while he golfed and held campaign rallies, claims we’re past the peak when we had our highest total death day as a country yesterday, etc. He had better intel than all of us, and he threw away the chance at more intel and continues to ignore intel. But his name’s gonna be on the printed stimulus checks for some reason.

Why am I bringing Trump into a comment replying to what China did? Because corrupt leadership over there can’t be dealt with when we have corrupt and incompetent leadership here.

10:48 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

I can’t answer all of that, but my understanding is (and I don’t know if it’s accurate) that the number of cases can peak even if the number of deaths is increasing.

Trump is in no way perfect, but to compare him to that murderous regime? No way.

11:10 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

rg, I think those were chemical weapons, right? And while very bad and technically classified as WMD’s, I guess what I should have said was that it was thought that they had developed nukes.

• runningunnin.454
      11:15 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

Yeah chem weapons are classified as WMD; but fair enough, no nukes.

11:17 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

Whether you love him or hate him, any rational human being has to admit that him insisting that his name be on the checks is at best nacissistic, and plain old idiotic. C;mon man, seriously?

11:23 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

I won’t deny that it’s narcissistic, but that’s marketing (for the election in this case).

• Laker Cat 18
      11:27 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

Han – It’s sad that your first thought is knocking the President over his lack of handling a situation that this generation has really never seen to this magnitude. So China does all of this intentionally and the only response you can give is that it’s Trump’s fault he didn’t respond quick enough? This was an INTENTIONAL pandemic caused by China. It never should have left that country. Trump should have never had to make the decisions he’s had to make.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:30 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

Personally, I think Trump has done a decent job on a federal level & Beshear has done a tremendous job at the state level during this whole thing.

With that said, I think Obama would have done a great job had this happened during his tenure…and Bevin…I don’t even want to think about that.

• Realme
      11:48 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

Agree about Beshear and Bevin. No idea about Trump. He’s so busy acting like an a hole I don’t know what is actually happening. One side says he’s doing everything wrong and the other says he’s doing great. I just say no need to be such a jerk all the time.

11:49 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

At this point, we just don’t know for sure if it was intentionally leaked, or even if it came from the lab in Wuhan. Yes, I read that article too, but we cannot take it as legit at this point any more than we could if it cane from another news source such as CNN. We may never know for sure. Am I suspicious of China? Hell yes! And I think going forward, we may need to seriously examine our trade relationship with them. Find a way to encourage more investment in making things over here, especially critical medical supplies.

• Han
      2:30 pm April 16, 2020 Permalink

By the way, everyone be very, very careful spreading this “news.”

The idea that the virus started in a Chinese lab is in no way confirmed by US Intelligence (or anyone else). It’s one of many theories being investigated.

It is very likely that Fox News is presenting this (as true?) in part because the White House has been trying to lay all blame for the virus at the feet of China from the beginning, including childish efforts to only call it the Wuhan Virus or the Chinese Virus instead of Covid-19.

Was it created, accidentally or intentionally, in a lab? Maybe. Is this a fact that we know? No. If Fox News is reporting this as confirmed, they’re going to cause a lot of harm by spreading Fake News.

• Han
      2:49 pm April 16, 2020 Permalink

Also, anyone who acknowledges that Trump putting his name on the stimulus checks is a campaign move, or that he’s playing campaign videos in his Covid pressers, you should be very upset about that. We have safeguards meant to prevent elected officials from using taxpayer money to promote their reelection.

In fact, President Trump was already (rightfully) impeached for attempting to use his power as President to get help with his campaign. You don’t have to think he should’ve been removed from office for that, but even the majority of Republican congresspeople (who voted not to remove him) agreed what he did was wrong. Very few of them agree with him that he was exonerated. They just said it wasn’t impeachable.

The Hatch Act exists to prevent leaders in power from using the government to keep that power. It mostly applies to people besides the executive leaders, but there are still rules that prevent, say, the President from holding a campaign rally on government property, or from using taxpayer-funded communications to promote his candidacy. That’s dictator behavior. Is Trump the same as Putin or Xi Jinping or Kim Jong Un or Erdogan? Has he ordered deaths or the like? No. But he’s suggested committing war crimes and he’s acted like he’s showing restraint by not arresting people who are negative toward him. And he sure does like to praise how strong those dictators are and congratulate them when they name themselves President for life.

If he wants to praise himself for how he handles this crisis, that’s fine…in his campaign ads. It’s not fine to use his virus briefings as campaign rallies, and it’s not fine to try to trick people into thinking he has anything to do with the stimulus checks.

It’s also not fine to ignore/interfere with the oversight into the disbursement of stimulus money to businesses, or the oversight of his own executive actions by the legislature. People are protesting Beshear because their small businesses are suffering. President Trump is fighting against you seeing who’s getting the money meant for businesses. And when people like our Senators go on TV and accuse the Democrats of delaying the next business stimulus bill, understand that the bills the Republicans put forward continue to have the same flaws that can be abused by billionaires to make more money while your small businesses shut down.

Worry about the fact that President Trump doesn’t want to bail out the post office, and he doesn’t want people to be able to vote by mail. Ask yourself why either of those things is good for America. Ask yourselves how it’s good for America for him to ignore oversight into how stimulus funds are given out. How is a lack of transparency there good for any of us?

In a time of crisis, when people are accusing Beshear of overreaching and acting like a King, those same people need to apply even more of that concern to how the Chief Executive of the country is acting.

Or they can keep complaining about not being able to sit in church and about so-called abortion mills ending unwanted pregnancies (of course all of those same people would be fine with higher taxes so more money can be spent on social services and welfare to help those children if they aren’t aborted, right?).

3. Laker Cat 18
    10:16 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

Calm down folks…

Clarke, Jackson, Boston are all projected lottery picks for 2021. Kind of surprised Askew (5*) isn’t projected. Add Fletcher, Ware, & Mintz (grad transfer), with Brooks staying and we’ll be fine! With that said, we need Haarms! If that happens, step away from the ledge!

• Realme
      10:18 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

I don’t even care if we’re good. Just give me games to watch.

• ClutchCargo
      10:20 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

I have never been overly impressed with Haarms individually (I watch quite a bit of Big Ten basketball), but he would be a great addition to this team.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:22 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

Haarms > Skal…and you can take that to the bank. Skal was a 1st round pick BTW.

• ClutchCargo
      10:23 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

I don’t need all this social distancing + bad basketball, Realme. I have to at least have a football season in that scenario. lol

• ClutchCargo
      10:25 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

College Skal is a fairly low bar, but I agree. Haarms is definitely good enough to help this team.

• runningunnin.454
      10:26 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

Haarms gets his feet set, and gets a lot of charging calls on the opponent; that puts them on the bench for long periods of time. I didn’t say anything about flopping, ha ha.

• Realme
      10:26 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

I’d rather have football. Don’t know how anyone would be in shape though.

10:29 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

I understand guys going to the NBA when they are ready, I’m just tired of seeing guys like EJ leaving because it’s “uncool” to stay in college to get better.

• Realme
      10:30 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

I blame his dad for that “he doesn’t need another year” bs.

• ClutchCargo
      10:36 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

The “why WASTE another year” bs really made me smdh. Did dad not see what PJ did from one year to the next? EJ has the ability to do the same thing.

10:39 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I am sure that Cal takes a long hard look at the parents when he is recruiting these players, but now, even more so.

11:04 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

Not to mention how much Nick improved this year. Some folks just have blinders on. Or maybe dad was just tired of waiting on hi$ cut. Who knows?

• Laker Cat 18
      11:36 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

With Haarms, he doesn’t have to be what we expected from Skal. If he can get us 6-8 boards, a couple blocks, and play solid defense in the post, we’ll have the guys around him to put the ball in the hoop.

4. Laker Cat 18
    10:34 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

The Sopranos EP5:

1. Tony commits his first murder of the series.
    2. Mrs. Soprano leads us all by letting her pastor stay the night in Tony’s absence.
    3. Meadow comes clean to her dad with 50% of her secret that she has scored speed, but didn’t reveal she got it from Christopher.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:38 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

I was alternately amused and annoyed by the protesters at Andy’s press conference yesterday. They certainly have the right to protest, but the reality is that restarting the economy is not going to happen overnight. Still, I think Andy needs to get a plan in place.

11:08 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

I didn’t realize until after the fact about the protests in Kentucky. I knew ahead of time about Michigan, but their gov went way too far in a few areas. Kentucky might not have had the problems yesterday if he had not banned worship while at the same time leaving abortion clinics open.

11:18 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

He never banned worship services. He just said that if you are going to do that, then quarantine yourself for 14 days. He did not ban the drive-in services.

11:29 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

True, I stand corrected. But still, sending the police to take names? Out of bounds IMO. But my opinion is worth about 2 cents.

11:38 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

A lot of the people protesting probably don’t realize how many of us may be at increased risk of serious complications with this thing. Just being overweight puts you at higher risk, as does high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea – the list goes on. There are probably a lot of people who think they are low risk when they are not.

• ClutchCargo
      11:42 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

Exactly, RCF. All these cases of people with “no underlying health conditions” kind of indicates to me how little we actually know about how this works.

6. Heavy C
    10:47 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

Yea, I don’t know if its a “Cal’s System” thing, but if I said I was very optimistic about where we are, the answer would be a No. The fact that practically every player we get seems hellbent on bolting Ready Or Not, and with no experience the only chance you have to win a championship is to have a simply dominate recruiting class….which we ain’t had in a few years. I mean I’m not anti Cal, nor do I think we wont continue to be successful…but I’m just sayin.

• runningunnin.454
      11:01 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

So, we have how many players for next year now…nine? Even if we get the Purdue and RI players, it’s another short bench. Does cause problems with fouls, injuries, and when everyone bolts for the nba.

7. ClutchCargo
    10:50 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

I’m probably one of the few people around who hasn’t watched “The Wire.” Well, I recently discovered that the whole series is on Amazon Prime Video, so I started it last night. So far, so good. It’s a little distracting seeing actors who have gone on to other prominent roles being in this show.

11:05 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

What is The Wire? haha. We have Prime and I don’t even know what that is.

• ClutchCargo
      11:20 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

It’s a HBO original series that started in the early 2000’s and went 5 seasons. Many claim it’s one of the best shows ever.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:32 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

I haven’t seen it yet. I may need to put it on my list.

• Realme
      11:56 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

Let me know if you decide it’s on the level of Ozark or Breaking Bad.

8. runningunnin.454
    11:08 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

I see Jalen Green has signed a G-League deal…ugh.

11:09 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

He wasn’t coming to UK anyway as I understand. My Auburn fan friend though has to be livid right now.

• runningunnin.454
      11:12 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, Auburn and Memphis.

11:20 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

As if the NBA thing wasn’t bad enough, now we have the G-league. I’m just not a fan of the NBA, and probably never will be, especially with no pro sports in Kentucky.

11:27 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

The NCAA is going to have to get creative here with signing dates, etc. It’s one thing to lose guys to the G League, but this late in the game? Maybe they need to negotiate with that league and tell them their “commitment” date needs to be backed up or something. Maybe players like Green should have been required to sign earlier. I don’t know the solution, but hopefully something can be done so coaches aren’t left in the lurch this late.

11:34 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

Granted though, we just had 3 guys leave early this week, and we’re waiting to hear from grad transfers.

9. runningunnin.454
    11:26 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

Oh Lordy have mercy, Matt doesn’t want callouses on his hands. Yeah, you have to be bada$$ to play guitar. Hey, Matt…little girls play guitar.

• Realme
      11:41 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha why does he say these things out loud?

10. Realme
    11:44 am April 16, 2020 Permalink

I got hit by a 93 year old once. She quite boldly lied to the police but her insurance eventually paid me.