KSR Show Thread 4/16: Friday Fun at KSBar

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Friday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang is at KSBar and Grille to break down the latest news in the UK Sports world, including new potential basketball transfers and what could be an absolutely huge weekend for the football program thanks to the Wade twins and Kiyaunta Goodwin. Plus, another region of the Kids’ Logo Bracket!

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

66 Comments for KSR Show Thread 4/16: Friday Fun at KSBar

1. runningunnin.454
    10:02 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

Enjoyed the volleyball match last night, we were on cruise control. But I thought with the 2 seed we would have had at least one cupcake…how did we get an undefeated opponent? Now on to WKU; at least, that one is going to be on TV, espn2 I think.

10:11 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

Go Cats.

• RealCatsFan
      10:41 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

Being the volleyhead that I am, yesterday was about as non-productive at work as the first 2 days of the NCAA Basketball tournament (when the Cats are in it.) I watched Morehead St against Florida – UF just had too much size for MSU. Their front row goes 6’3, 6’6, 6’7! The announcers even made an Anthony Davis reference when talking about their 6’7 OH/setter. Apparently she was only about 5’9 as a freshman in HS.

I then watched a replay of the Louisville match against San Diego. SDU has Gabby Goddard, who transferred after playing a couple of seasons for the Cats. UL looked like absolute hell the first set, losing by about 12. They eventually got it together and won the match 3-1. I know a lot of you guys hate UL as a general rule, but they have a lot of local and in-state kids playing for them, so it’s hard for me to root against them unless they are playing the Cats.

WKU had a good start, then let Washington St get back into the game during the 3rd set, and that allowed them to grab all the momentum. It was not looking good for WKU at all going into the deciding 5th set. They looked stunned and lifeless. But they were able to get it together just in time to win the deciding set. Now they have to face the Cats on Sunday, and that pisses me off. They should have been in a different region. So the NCAA continues to screw the state of Kentucky even with volleyball. 🙁

• RealCatsFan
      10:54 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

I have to say that it is fun to watch our volleyball team dominate the competition. Makes me long for the days when our basketball team did the same.

2. JTHinton
    10:12 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

If you fall for that you deserve to lose that $50! Sorry, but that’s just ridiculous.

• runningunnin.454
      10:17 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

I doubt he needs 50 bucks that bad; and, I doubt he would go cruising around Eastern Ky.

3. JTHinton
    10:14 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

Saw an article on the app yesterday harping on how our football staff is really honing in on the Mizzou game from last year. I for one love to hear this b/c I think that game is the difference maker for this season being good or great. We’re dead even with them, and the winner is 3rd (or higher) in the East IMO.

4. Realme
    10:14 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

Do you think it’s real? Anyone can make something up and tell it to the text machine.

10:15 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

reply to JTH fail

10:19 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

Not the SH part, the part about a scammer ticking 9 people.

10:19 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

Ugh, tricking. I quit.

5. Realme
    10:19 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

Please speak into my microphone, random stranger in a pandemic.

6. 206Bones
    10:24 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

Please get that boy a set of suspenders.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:28 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

The thought of any of these guys changing oil cracks me up.

• runningunnin.454
      10:31 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

Now watching that would be worth $50.

• RealCatsFan
      10:46 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

I’m picturing the old Aamco commercial from the 80’s where they guy pulls the drain plug and gets covered in dirty oil. 🙂

8. Laker Cat 18
    10:30 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

So does Rutgers beating us out for a Kentucky kid any different?

9. JTHinton
    10:40 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

It’s been a year, I think, since book a guest week. April 2020 When Herschel Walker, that rapper, and some others all came on KSR. Did we ever vote on who won? I thought the winner was supposed to receive $500 …

• ClutchCargo
      10:49 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

Herschel Walker is the winner in my book. I really enjoyed hearing him speak.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:05 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

They should do that again. That was a good time and great content during a slow time.

11:22 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

They also did this photo scavenger hunt thing once and didn’t declare a winner / give out the promised prize.

• ClutchCargo
      11:34 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

Not paying up when there is a winner is a recurring theme. Unless someone else is holding the prize in escrow, I would never expect to receive it from Matt. I would be super worried if I was those guys with stock being held in Matt’s account.

11:38 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

Some guy kept posting on the Lexington subreddit not that long ago when they were giving out cash prizes for something, he wasn’t getting his money either…

10. RealCatsFan
    10:49 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

My aunt used to say the word “oil” like “oral”. And she was a native Kentuckian, so not that uncommon. Also have heard it called “erl” before.

• ClutchCargo
      10:52 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

I have an uncle from Casey County who calls it “erl.”

• Laker Cat 18
      11:06 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

Casey County, huh? That explains a lot! LOL

• ClutchCargo
      11:13 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

Well, he lives in Pulaski Co now and still says it. 😛

• Laker Cat 18
      11:15 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

Casey County was my “Louisville-type” rival in high school. We used to have some battles. I now live in Pulaski!

• sammydog
      11:36 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

Early arrivals from England settled in Appalachia and brought old English dialect with them. Due to isolation of mountain living these dialects were retained.

• ClutchCargo
      11:42 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

True story, sammy. And I find that kind of stuff fascinating.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:51 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

Hey, my mom’s from Casey County! Watch it! lol

She grew up on a farm right outside Liberty/ Which high school did you go to Laker Cat?

Speaking of dialects & accents, that kind of history is extremely intriguing to me. I saw a YouTube video about an island off North Carolina (pretty small and, I think, isolated) where everyone still has an English accent. So fascinating. Fishing is the primary industry, not surprisingly.

I really became intrigued by this when I saw a special called “American Tongues” on PBS years ago. I looked for it on YT and didn’t find it, but there are numerous videos about accents and such, as you can imagine. I watched one about Appalachia.

• RealCatsFan
      12:00 pm April 16, 2021 Permalink

Yeah, it is kind of cool. Kind of like the French and Creole influences down in Louisiana. That was a very enjoyable experience, getting to live there for three semesters. I had a girl ask me to dance at a bar one night, and with her heavy Ca-jun accent I didn’t have a clue what she was saying to me as we danced. She could have been telling me that my fly was open and all I did was smile and nod.

11. RealCatsFan
    11:11 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

“Don’t put money into something you don’t understand” is a quote by Warren Buffett. I am fairly dubious about investing in Bitcoin and other stuff like that, although I know some people who are betting heavily on it. And the stories about the amount of energy consumed to “mine” this “cybermoney” is mind blowing.

12. Laker Cat 18
    11:16 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

CAL WATCH!

Chris Holtmann? No. Not yet.

• ClutchCargo
      11:18 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

We need to hang on to Cal while Mitch is around. I don’t trust him when it comes to hiring the next basketball coach.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:29 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

I’m kind of neutral on that because of Stoops now, but I see what you’re saying. He seems set on one guy that may or may not be a good fit when those times come. That’s my worry with Holtmann. He’s got a lot more to prove for me to buy into that.

11:32 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

We don’t know who Mitch is set on, we just know who Matt guesses he would pick if Cal left today.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:38 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

They may say no, but…

Brad Stevens
      Mark Few
      Billy Donovan

In that order.

11:39 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

I find it interesting that they put Donovan back on the table.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:47 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

The thing with Billy D is that he has probably underachieved in the NBA by their standards. Being a “good coach” can get you fired after a year or two if you can’t compete at the highest level. If you’re not playing in late June, you’re probably on the hot seat.

13. Laker Cat 18
    11:18 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

The Bulls aren’t going to make the playoffs. Plenty of time, but they’re 5 games out.

14. Realme
    11:21 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

Did he just say he’s gonna ask listeners to remodel the bar?

15. RealCatsFan
    11:32 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

Um, I have a pretty good visual in my mind’s eye of the older dude with the mullet driving the Corvette. I am picturing an impressive set of gold chains and maybe a gold bracelet too. Odds are if he has a boat, it is a Fountain.

11:35 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

What is Ky blue? I couldn’t tell if they were talking about the mullet, the car or something else.

• RealCatsFan
      11:42 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

I didn’t catch the “KY blue” part.

16. Laker Cat 18
    11:32 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

I’ve got an interesting strategy when voting on the KSBar logos. I’m picking the best (talent-wise) and my favorite (most likely the worst design) for my 2 votes.

11:35 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

Me too. One good one and one funny one.

• ClutchCargo
      11:37 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

I thought about that. Then I went with what I thought were the two best ones. I felt kind of bad, though. I wanted to pick a younger kid’s logo, but ended up with two 13 year olds.

• RealCatsFan
      11:41 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

A few of them are so good that the inner cynic in me suspects that a parent had a hand in the piece. I sure hope that is not the case with any of them. But some kids are simply talented. I was a pretty good artist in grade school and HS – almost went into something creative as a career. Sadly, that talent has been for the most part squandered.

11:47 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

Me too, art was my favorite class, and I used to really paint, but I stopped after high school and really suck at it now. My disabled brother on the other hand, taught himself to paint as an adult. He has to lie down on his back, hold the canvas in one hand, paint with the other, and can only go for 30 min at a time. The results are beautiful. I have 4 of his paintings up in my house.

• RealCatsFan
      11:49 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

That’s really cool, Realme! What a neat and inspiring story.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:50 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

I was an art guy too. I bumped into my high school art teacher last year. She gave me photos she had taken of my artwork she had kept over the years. I had her in class around 2001. I thought it was awesome she had kept photos of all her students’ artwork.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:51 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

That is great Realme. Someone should throw together a Facebook page or something for his artwork.

11:52 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

My freshman art teacher was batshit crazy (it was really entertaining, but he didn’t teach us anything). He was ranting one day, which we were all used to, and then he picked up a record player and just started slamming it on the floor until it was in pieces. That was his last year.

11:53 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

LC he won’t let us post it online because he uses reference photos he doesn’t own the rights to, but I do wish his stuff could be seen by people.

• RealCatsFan
      11:58 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

We had an ex Eddyville prison guard as our physics teacher my senior year in HS. He was huge, bald, and intimidating, but once you got to know him, he was a teddy bear below his gruff exterior. He used to grab a cup of coffee right before our class in the afternoon, so I knew I had about 5 minutes to draw a quick caricature of him on the chalkboard before he walked in. It became a thing during the year, he would walk in, look at the board, chuckle a little, and say “hmpf, the decrepit artist has struck again” (he didn’t know who was doing it). I had him doing a variety of things, usually related to something he did or said the day before, sometimes tied to current events. I would sketch the picture out in my notebook during lunch. One day he skipped his coffee and nailed me in the act. In exchange for not giving me a week’s worth of detention, he made me promise to give him my notebook of drawings at the end of the year. 🙂

12:01 pm April 16, 2021 Permalink

That’s so fun. I bet he kept it.

• Laker Cat 18
      12:15 pm April 16, 2021 Permalink

That’s great RCF!

17. runningunnin.454
    11:46 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

Saddest song is either “He Stopped Loving Her Today” or “Down From Dover” by Dolly. BTW, it was too damn late showing love for George Jones.

18. RealCatsFan
    11:50 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

Did anyone else notice that the comments were not showing up on KSR site-wide last night?

19. RealCatsFan
    11:52 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

As much as Matt wants to complain about the announcers at the volleyball match last night, but I am glad that they at least had announcers. ESPN originally chose to just broadcast the live streams with NO commentary. They also did not have locker rooms for the players, since they are playing at a convention center. Once again, this sport gets no respect.

11:56 am April 16, 2021 Permalink

You’d think the NCAA would have done better after the women’s bball tourney embarrassment.