KSR Show Thread, 4/15: Matt Jones is back from vacation

The KSR radio show welcomes back its host from his one-week vacation to the Big Apple. Matt returns to talk about the extremely busy weekend and everything else he missed while he was away.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

99 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 4/15: Matt Jones is back from vacation

1. Iamheasyouarehe
    10:09 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Is it just me or did Matt’s vacation seem too short?

2. RealCatsFan
    10:20 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

I’m no fan of Pitino, but Matt is talking out of both sides of his mouth if he forgives Tiger for his affairs but calls out Pitino for doing the same thing.

10:21 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

I don’t like Tiger, or golf, but that was an amazing comeback.

10:22 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Hadn’t thought about it that way, but yeah. I’m consistent, at least; I don’t cheer for Pitino or Tiger. But good on him for the big win yesterday.

10:23 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

I have to say that physically Tiger looks to be in great shape. Dude looks like he has been pumping some iron. But I have to warn him that 40 was no big deal, but 50 will smack you upside the head and not take names… πŸ˜€

10:25 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

But when he turns 50, he will be one of the youngsters on the Senior Tour, so he has that to look forward to.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:26 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Pitino didn’t blame it on addiction at least. Tiger claimed to be a sex addict and did it because he felt entitled but addicts, from my understanding, doesn’t use because they feel entitled, they do it because they don’t know how not too, they are powerless over addiction. Not judging, just sayin’.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:29 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

*don’t

• StillBP
      10:47 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

It’s a sad day when golf is the conversation everyone is having. Gonna be that way for the next few months, unfortunately!

10:50 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

You are so right, BP. How many days until football?

• StillBP
      10:54 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Realme…too many! Except I do love Spring. Speaking of, there was a spring game last week. And here we are talking golf πŸ™‚

10:59 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

I realized last night that I had forgotten how much I used to hate Sunday nights. I don’t care about GoT, so I don’t even have that going for me.

• Talking about schools not wanting Rick: I’m still scratching my head about UCLA’s paltry (by today’s blue blood standards) offer to Cal. You can’t buy a dump out there for half a mil. You can live in a mansion for that in Lexington. Maybe UCLA doesn’t care about being a blue blood anymore. Maybe they just want to have a winning record and be in the tourney.

Heck, if they had been really serious with a big offer and Cal still turned them down, go after Bruce Pearl! He hadn’t signed yet when they were still looking. But, he just signed a new contract.

11:10 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Iam, at the end of the day, aren’t we all sex addicts? At least in our younger days. πŸ™‚

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:22 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

RealCats, It is what it is…lol. I didnt want anyone to go through a day without hearing that.

• JT919
      12:21 pm April 15, 2019 Permalink

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Tiger has been far more repentant about it publicly and Pitino has. If that were the case I understand how Matt feels.

• Blue Bill
      7:48 pm April 15, 2019 Permalink

At least tiger was half way repentant. Pitino just lies on top of lies.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:22 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

rg, can you offer some professional insight into what kind of back problems Tiger was having? IIRC, that is right up your alley. (He’s a public figure and not a patient of yours, so I guess you won’t run afoul of HIPAA with a reply. πŸ˜‰ )

• runningunnin.454
      10:27 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Don’t know; didn’t think getting hit in the face with a 9 iron would cause back problems.

10:50 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

rg, maybe she aimed low, but not low enough. πŸ™‚

10:52 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

I know violence is bad, and it’s not okay to attack your husband with a golf club, no matter how much he deserves it, but I love that story. I would have just cheered her on.

• runningunnin.454
      10:59 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

What do you do when someone takes a swing at you?
      Ummm, Uhhhh…Duck?
      Next time,..do that.

11:06 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

rg, maybe she was aiming lower than he thought, and he did duck. Either way, she clearly doesn’t play golf. I would have reached for the sand wedge if I really wanted to do some damage. Much heavier than the 9 iron.

• J-Dub421
      11:20 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

She just needed a caddie to help her with club selection.

11:24 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, do you want an iron for maximum lift, or a wood for distance? πŸ˜€

• UK Big Board Update
      2:42 pm April 15, 2019 Permalink

How many of these people, who dont like Tiger for the reasons they mentioned, also voted for – and still absolutely love – Trump? LOL

4. J-Dub421
    10:23 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Golf is boring, and I don’t like Tiger. I get what Matt’s saying about redemption, but cheating on your wife with 20 different women is more than a mistake or a minor indiscretion. That’s an active choice; one that was made repeatedly.

10:30 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

I’m not as into golf as I used to be, but I hear you. The guy clearly had some issues, but almost all his problems were self-inflicted. I don’t hate him for cheating on his wife, but winning a golf tournament and making a ton more money is not a reason for me to celebrate, either.

10:31 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

I don’t know about redemption, but that was a while ago. I wouldn’t expect him to never play his sport again, or for his legion of fans to never forgive him. I think a decade of shame and injury is punishment enough as long as he doesn’t do anything else terrible.

• J-Dub421
      10:36 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

I also don’t like people who treat wait-staff, hotel staff, etc. like garbage, and by all accounts Tiger is one of those people too. I’ve never liked Tiger. He does not seem like a good person in general.

10:37 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

That’s kind of where I am with Tiger now, realme.

10:38 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

J-Dub, it’s funny you mention that. I had a cab driver in Austin, TX back in 2006 who was telling me about the time he got stiffed by Tiger.

• J-Dub421
      10:43 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

I’ve read tons of accounts from people who said he’s really cheap and doesn’t tip well or at all. He thinks everyone should just be honored to wait on Tiger Woods. I’m not saying he needs to hand out thousand dollar tips all the time, but drop the sense of entitlement and don’t be a jerk and stiff people.

10:43 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Sometimes I wonder if golf has more elitist jerks than other sports. You hear so many stories, and very few of them came from humble backgrounds.

10:53 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

It’s not the type of sport that appeals to people from modest backgrounds as much as a lot of other sports. Of course I am not saying that the sport is not played by people from modest backgrounds, but if you rent a cart, you are usually looking at dropping $50 for a round at most courses, and a lot more at private clubs.

10:55 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Golf probably does have more ELITIST jerks, but that’s because of the demographics involved with golf. By the same token, you don’t hear as much about beating up women and other violent incidents. I don’t think it has more jerks than any other part of society. There’s plenty of jerks to go around.

• notFromhere
      11:32 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Well said , clutch

5. CatManDo
    10:28 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Putting any golfer on a list of all time great athletes is ridiculous to me. Not saying it isn’t a great story and can be entertaining. But putting a guy who walks around in khakis and knocks a little ball in a hole doesn’t compare to football, basketball, etc. greats.

I see golf as a skill sport and not an athletic sport. Putting Tiger ahead of a Walter Payton or Roger Federer?
    To each their own though!

• J-Dub421
      10:32 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Federer should be ahead of Tiger based on wins alone. Tiger didn’t and won’t break Nicklaus record of 18 majors, meanwhile Roger has 20 majors and over 100 total titles.

• runningunnin.454
      10:34 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Kind of like bowling and poker, regardless of what ESPN says.

10:35 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

That’s a good way to look at it. What gets me are the Tiger fanboys who try to say he could have been a dominant player in football or basketball, just because he was in better shape than most of the other golfers. Michael Jordan once cracked “I have a better chance at beating you in golf than you have of beating me in basketball” in reference to Tiger. πŸ™‚

• CatManDo
      10:42 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Agree Clutch.
      Jimmy Johnson and Carl Edwards are really good athletes in NASCAR but that doesn’t make driving an athletic sport. It is difficult and taxing but does not require great athletic ability.

• StillBP
      10:51 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

I agree, Cat. My dad is 75, out of shape, and plays golf several times a week. He won’t go to the gym with my mom because he says his body can’t handle that type of exercise, he even claims riding a bike is too hard on him. Oh but he can play golf. For that reason (and many others) I will never consider golf a real sport.

• StillBP
      10:53 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

I do get that it’s a skilled “sport” but the word sport there is a joke. It’s a skilled competition.

• notFromhere
      11:33 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

CatManDo nailed it

6. ClutchCargo
    10:43 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Keldon is probably gone, but I just don’t see him making a NBA roster. Guys with his size and skill set are a dime a dozen, and he doesn’t really stand out in any aspect.

• runningunnin.454
      10:53 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, they said he’s hearing what he wants to hear; but, 1.5 mil doesn’t go as far as it used to.
      What’s retirement projections these days, 4 mil?
      I doubt he would be able to pay Drew’s bar tab, haw haw.

10:57 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

You mean I will need to save up $4 mil before I can retire? Wow, that just made my mood go “poof”! Guess I better plan on that gig as a WalMart greeter.

11:38 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Okay, I’m going to assume 4 mil is the surgeon retirement amount.

• Blue Bill
      7:53 pm April 15, 2019 Permalink

He didn’t say he was one of the greatest all time athletes, but on the list of most iconic. As far as recognition with the public

7. RealCatsFan
    10:55 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Hearing these guys go on and on like eleven year old boys about wrestlers from the 80’s makes me not so unhappy that I had to take a phone call and cut away.

8. Realme
    10:56 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Did anyone go to the Spring game and see this proposal? I want all the details.

10:59 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

I just saw the thread with the picture. Dude looked like her dad – she looked about 15. I think the authorities need to investigate. But of course, this is Kentucky, so probably nothing illegal about it – at least not in this state.

• J-Dub421
      11:00 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

I watched on the SEC Network, but wasn’t there.

• runningunnin.454
      11:03 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

I think she said yes; could have said, “AW, HELL NAW”

9. J-Dub421
    10:58 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

She was just emotionally overwhelmed. Also, enough with proposing on jumbotrons, etc.

10:59 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

I’m probably not like most women, but if someone had proposed to me in public where I felt pressure to say yes, I’d have been furious.

11:00 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Mrs RCF warned me before we got engaged to not even think about a public proposal, or she would say NO for sure. πŸ˜‰

• runningunnin.454
      11:04 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Realme would get out that golf club.

11:08 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

πŸ™‚

11:12 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

I feel like the guy is just making it too much about him when they do that. But there are probably situations where the couple just knows, and it’s not so much putting her on the spot

11:14 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Maybe they should offer the girlfriend a golf club for every public proposal so she could decide right then whether she wants to use it. That would make them a lot more entertaining!

11:16 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

That’s another thing I don’t get. If you already are mutually planning to get married, why is a proposal necessary? I’m weird though. I told mine not to do an engagement ring because I find it weird that the woman wears around a sign of ownership and the man doesn’t. Plus I don’t wear jewelry anyways.

11:20 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Guess I’m old-fashioned. I even went over to her parents’ house and told them before I proposed – I guess that was the “ask for her hand” thing. Yeah, I guess a lot of women might look down on that, but not my Mrs. πŸ™‚

11:25 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Nope to that for me. I wasn’t having that, or being “given away” or being announced Mr. and Mrs. My Husband’s First Name / Last Name.

• notFromhere
      11:34 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Yeah. It’s pretty lazy

• runningunnin.454
      11:36 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

RCF, that’s better than her Dad showing up at your house with a shotgun, asking for your hand, HAH.

11:40 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

rg, I am a dad to two daughters, so I will possibly be holding that shotgun someday. πŸ˜€ (Hopefully I am just kidding!)

11:42 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Realme, we’re all different. Some ladies still find the old-fashioned approach charming and romantic. Some women are offended when a guy opens a door for them or has them go up a flight of stairs ahead of them, others find that polite and charming. Depends on your upbringing and personal views. It’s all good with me.

11:45 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Agreed.

10. Realme
    11:19 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Love hockey. Don’t have a team to get behind though.

11:22 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

I can find hockey entertaining for short stretches, but a lot of the rules don’t make sense to me because I don’t know the sport that well. Kind of like watching my niece play field hockey – she’s an all-state Div I athlete, but I don’t know much about the sport. But I do know my volleyball! I guess to each his own. πŸ™‚

• J-Dub421
      11:23 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

I used to go to the midnight hockey games at UK. Those were fun.

11:28 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

I have been to a couple of Predators games in Nashville. Hockey crowds are awesome, but I don’t know squat about the sport. I can’t really get into watching it on TV. I have a cousin from Green Bay who lived nearby me for a few years while he was in the Army. He is a big hockey fan and was on the verge of drawing me in for awhile.

11:30 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Why the hell can’t crowds at basketball games be like that?

11:33 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

There are no lower arena blue hairs in hockey. πŸ™‚

• notFromhere
      11:41 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Miss the Thoroughblade games. Hockey fans are raucous and the atmosphere is awesome

11:45 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Me too. You could pay 9 bucks, sit close and have the best time. I still hate the city for getting rid of them.

11. notFromhere
    11:22 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Oh NOOOOOOOO!!!

WHILE Matt’s gone
    -UK wins in football, baseball, softball, and either S&D OR T&F
    -Basketball players announce they’re staying
    -Tiger Woods makes a comeback and wins the masters (putting a sock in Cowherd’s and several others’ mouths)
    -The offense looked great in t htf spring game
    -no mass shootings

Matt deserves a month or two of vacation 1.5 weeks after football season starts and another right before the NCAA tourney next year

12. RealCatsFan
    11:29 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Matt, please ask him how old this girl is!!

13. ClutchCargo
    11:43 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Matt got a pedicure? I’m shocked!

11:43 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Now we know he is a metrosexual.

14. RealCatsFan
    11:43 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Aaaaughhh! We don’t want any details about your feet, Matt!!

11:47 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

UGH! He shared a photo one time where he was walking around with a jagged broken big toe nail. – wretch! – I hope he tipped really well.

• notFromhere
      11:49 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

I got that image from dumb and dumber in my head… the lady with the grinder working on Lloyd’s toes…

15. RealCatsFan
    11:54 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Well, she doesn’t sound real convincing to me – he’s not holding a firearm on her, is he? πŸ˜‰

16. Realme
    11:55 am April 15, 2019 Permalink

Ha ha after listening to them both talk, I’m still not sure she’s happy. Probably just a low key gal.

17. kuhlkat
    4:21 pm April 15, 2019 Permalink

Matt’s obsession with Tiger is sickening.
    The show was better last week. They actually let the guests and callers talk.