KSR Show Thread, 4/15: Clarke, Harlow and more

On today’s edition of Kentucky Sports Radio radio, it’s a full house as we talk Nick Richards and Terrence Clarke, go over last night’s Sopranos homework and welcome our third guest of KSR Guest Week, rapper Jack Harlow from Louisville.

Should be a good time.

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

62 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 4/15: Clarke, Harlow and more

1. runningunnin.454
    10:14 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

So, guys can’t play in the nba until age 19, but they can play in the g-league at 18. Really makes sense, doesn’t it. EFF Strickland; when basketball comes back, people will watch college ball and nba, won’t watch that $hit league.

10:22 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

I agree, but if a kid can make 500K, that’s a significant chunk of change, especially if you’re from a family that needs the dough.

• ClutchCargo
      10:26 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

But what does taking $500k now for a one year gig do for your long-term pro prospects? Probably not the best choice if you can qualify to play in college. This kid seems a little more big picture than that.

10:26 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

And I also agree with what Matt just said about competing with grown men fighting for their bball lives in the G league. I’m quite certain a lot of those guys, more so than college ball, don’t mind delivering an elbow to the chops to compete with a kid that’s more talented than they are.

10:27 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

I agree CC, I’m just trying to analyze some of these guy’s thinking.

10:29 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

Didn’t Cal basically bail Strickland out several times and give him multiple chances after his troubles with alcohol? What a great way to say thanks.

• JTHinton
      10:32 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

Strickland is probably just doing his job. Who knows how many other prospects he reached out to.

A full ride scholarship amounts to at most $250,000. If a kid can play G-League and get $500,000 AND avoid 6am workouts + classes, I don’t see why they would go to college

• BobbyBlue
      1:56 pm April 15, 2020 Permalink

Yeah Cal covered up for Stricklands drinking problem. Not sure he left UK to coach with Antiqua , voluntarily.

10:40 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

Did these G-league teams draw any kind of a following with fans? (I’m obviously talking B.C. – Before Corona)

2. RealCatsFan
    10:15 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

Geesh, can someone give me a little bit of good news? All this is getting me down. EJ probably going pro, and now Terrence Clark going to the G-league instead of UK? 🙁

• ClutchCargo
      10:20 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

I’m not listening today, but unless something else has come out, I can’t see Clarke going to the G League instead of college.

• ClutchCargo
      10:21 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

I mean something other than what has already been reported about him being offered a deal.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:16 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

And it is sounding pretty shaky whether we actually have a college football season this fall.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:18 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

Heard on the radio that University of Cincinnati has actually disbanded their men’s soccer program. Not just canceled or postponed the season, but completely dismantling the program. Not a soccer fan, but this is concerning if it becomes a trend across the country. Can we see a world without sports coming to be? eff this effing virus!

10:20 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

Wow. The chicken littles continue to win.

• ClutchCargo
      10:22 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

Sounds like they might have already been on thin ice with the soccer program.

10:22 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

I think their decision had more to do with funding in the athletic department than the virus itself. The sports word has taken a huge financial hit. No stimulus money available for sports programs.

10:23 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, yeah, I think they have had a losing record for several years, so that probably played into the decision. Still, you have to feel bad for the athletes. At least they are doing the right thing and honoring their scholarships until the graduate or transfer.

10:28 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, the budget hits could affect a lot of non-revenue sports.

• JTHinton
      10:39 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

Kind of opens up a broader discussion. Men’s soccer still isn’t sponsored by the sec of big 12. Title IX isn’t a valid excuse b/c the big ten, pac 12, and acc all make men’s soccer work. I saw where UK’s men’s soccer team (UK and S Carolina play in CUSA) loses about $1-$1.2 million a year, but you have to think other non-revenue sports bleed more money than soccer.

10:52 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

Does UK still play in the MAAC in soccer? I remember seeing that in The Cats’ Pause in the 80s, and it was the first I ever knew that any school, much less UK, could compete in different conferences. It was very strange to me.

5. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:19 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

Okay, Matt keeps saying that Eric Bischoff is in, but he PMd me yesterday on Twitter saying he still hasn’t heard from anyone associated with the show, but people are blowing up his Twitter feed saying he’s going to be on. I don’t get it. I looked at his feed, and one UK fan said “They’re probably going to call you out of the blue to get a spur of the moment (or something) reaction” and he said “Good luck with that”. He lives in Cody, Wyoming and is big into hunting, fishing, and horses, not to mention the time difference. I hope that guy was wrong because it would be dumb.

Anyway, I wasn’t in yesterday because I was chain-sawing a large oak limb that fell during the storm Sunday night/Monday morning. I listened though, and The Office guy was funny (I’ve not seen that show except 1 or 2 episodes on a plane), but Herschel is still #1 IMO. I can’t imagine some teen UL fan rapper beating him, but we’ll see.

• Realme
      10:34 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

Chris, Jdub was here yesterday.

10:40 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

I saw that last night when reading the ST! I’m glad she’s okay, and I was also afraid she might be taking care of a family member who had contracted corona.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:20 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

On the homefront, I have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that my senior daughter won’t get a prom or commencement ceremony, and my younger daughter won’t play for her club volleyball team again this season. In fact, I am beginning to wonder if there will be a school volleyball season this fall. Season generally starts in August.

• Realme
      10:37 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

Just assume anything you would normally look forward to (unless you look forward to being trapped at home) won’t happen. Then maybe you’ll get to be pleasantly surprised.

10:55 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

I miss doing the things I liked to do before – watching college sports included. But what really hurts is seeing my kids being affected by it. Not just the disappointment for them in missing out on stuff, but I can tell that they are genuinely worried about their folks getting sick or losing their jobs. I guess I can be thankful that for the most part this virus is pretty mild for kids. I think I would go crazy with worry if it hit kids as hard as it hits the old folks.

11:31 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

I hear you RCF. It’s got to be especially tough on seniors in college and HS.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:30 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

If EJ tries to go pro this year, what are the odd that he ends up as a car salesman or insurance salesman in 5 years?

• JTHinton
      10:36 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

EJ can have a good career in Europe or Asia if he wants it

• runningunnin.454
      10:46 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

What is with our program? We lose our whole team; is it unreasonable expectations, is Cal not giving the best council, are the guys ignoring his advice? Some of our early departures have had success in the nba; but, far more have failed.
      If Florida’s Lewis and Johnson played at UK, do we think they would return? Another case in point, if he played at UK, would Cassius Winston have played college ball for four years? I don’t think so. Now I’m really ready to rumble.

8. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:38 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

This CANNOT be dependent on a vaccine! Do people not realize that the flu shot often does not even work? Sometimes after it’s already been injected into people no telling how many times, info will come out saying “Oh, sorry, it turns out that it’s only effective on last year’s strain”.

• JTHinton
      10:42 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

Mark my words, we will end up going back to normalcy by June and develop herd immunity. I don’t see any other way we can survive as a country. 17 MILLION on unemployment b/c of this … in just one month!

10:45 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

It might be all we have – there have been reports in South Korea of people who had recovered from COVID19 and tested negative afterward apparently either having reactivation of the virus or getting infected a second time. Hopefully it was just a false test the first time, but it is kind of alarming if we are depending on “herd immunity” to protect us.

10:46 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

JT, I hope and pray that you are right! If you are, I will gladly buy you the drink of your choice.

10:50 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

Viruses tend to mutate, and I think this is more common with coronaviruses like COVID19 and influenza. But if it wasn’t for vaccines, we would still be battling plagues like smallpox, polio, etc.

10:56 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

Good point RCF, but I think this is a different situation than those diseases.

I did read one glimmer of hope 2 or 3 weeks ago. It said corona is not mutating as much as they feared and that this made a vaccine more possible. If they come up with one, then YAHOO! I just don’t think we can hold our breath and keep the economy shut down for 12-18 months like Rahm Emanuel’s doctor brother is saying. It just isn’t reasonable.

11:14 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

I think our elected officials are cognizant that we are going to have to start opening up the economy again, at least in some form. I think it will have to be done cautiously with a lot of additional precautions being taken. I think even if they just said, “hey everyone, business as usual”, it still wouldn’t be the same because so many people would be afraid of catching it. You could open football season up full blast and start having concerts again, and I bet attendance would be down at least 50%.

11:38 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

I wish I had as much faith in them as you RCF, but the Michigan governor reached a new low with some of her shenanigans. I have no reason to believe she (and some others) would all of a sudden become reasonable.

9. JTHinton
    10:39 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

Sec or big 12*

10. RealCatsFan
    11:11 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

HaHa, if Bevin were still governor, he would have thought we should all just have a big COVID19 party and bring our kids to it.

• ClutchCargo
      11:21 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

That and release a bunch more convicted felons.

11:39 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

Clutch, touche’, and you have a point there. Can’t say I agree with that move either.

11. RealCatsFan
    11:23 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

STD, if you are going to play a really good song by Boston, play “Take a Ride” or “Smokin'” off their first album.

12. Laker Cat 18
    11:30 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

Late to the show…Did I miss Jack Harlow? I’m a rap fan!

11:35 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

I can take a little old school rap like “Bust a Move”, “Can’t Touch This”, and “Rapper’s Delight”, but not much more. But I’m old. Haha.

11:41 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

I like some o the older rap songs too. But a lot of the new stuff that my kids listen to all sounds the same, the words make no sense to me, and the “music” is annoying to me. And get off my lawn!

11:45 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

Well, Kentucky Joe sounds just as good as the rap I hear pumping from some inconsiderate type’s cars in my hood. lol

11:46 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

Oh jeeze, Kentucky Joe doing the white man’s rap. I actually think Jack sounds like a pretty balanced dude for a U6 fan. 🙂

13. Laker Cat 18
    11:34 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

The Sopranos EP4:

1. Jackie dies, opening the door for the new mob boss, Tony concedes to his uncle in a calculated move.
    2. Little Tony figures out the truth about his family’s business.
    3. Tony hires a police detective to follow his therapist to gain information about her. Officer beats her dude up during a traffic stop. 4. A lot of nudity. Do no watch with children.

14. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:38 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

Okay, Herschel is still #1.

15. runningunnin.454
    11:44 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

Rat music still sux.

16. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    11:47 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

Oh well, good luck EJ. Like I’ve said before, I try to not get my hopes up ever since Brandon Knight was a one and done. I really though he would hang around 1 more year since he was such a brilliant student. Of course, part of his brilliance was being able to count money. Haha.

11:55 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

I think there is a very good chance that EJ’s “camp” played into his decision quite a bit.

17. Laker Cat 18
    11:47 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

EJ’s gone? He must have gotten one of those big ticket salaries to the G-League.

18. RealCatsFan
    11:47 am April 15, 2020 Permalink

EJ, good luck in Europe. Time to download your Rosetta Stone foreign language lessons.

19. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door