KSR Show Thread 4/13: Quickley, Sopranos, and more

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will digest the news that Immanuel Quickley is headed to the NBA Draft, the addition of grad transfer Davion Mintz, and the latest on Matt Haarms potentially joining the team. They’ll also discuss episodes two and three of The Sopranos.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

56 Comments for KSR Show Thread 4/13: Quickley, Sopranos, and more

1. runningunnin.454
    9:58 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

Mood more foul every day; anyone ready to rumble?

• runningunnin.454
      10:02 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

And, so; listen to the only instrumental ever banned on U.S. radio stations. Yeah, you’ve heard it if you’ve seen Pulp Fiction or the Jack Daniels commercial.
      Here is Link Wray and his Ray Men, and….”RUMBLE”

• Realme
      10:11 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

Normally I’d be Monday Grumpy enough to take you up on that, but since I can’t keep track of what day it is, I can’t muster up the energy.

• ClutchCargo
      10:17 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

Good point, Realme. When you don’t know – and maybe don’t care – that it’s Monday, it’s not as big a deal. I’m working at home, but not having to get dressed and go somewhere and deal with people in the morning, makes it a lot more tolerable.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:20 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

RG, the video ended before the rumble. Did they just break out into a rumble dance like in “Beat It”? Haha.

• runningunnin.454
      10:24 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

Ha ha, don’t know; but, in the ’50’s the government took juvenile delinquency very seriously…I know, I were one.

• RealCatsFan
      10:25 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

At least my normally hellish Monday morning commute into work is easy now. Got here in about 19 minutes this morning, and probably only committed a misdemeanor speeding offense.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:27 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

I understand man, and we should more so today.

• Realme
      10:28 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

I think you’re allowed to speed now. And burgle, etc.

• RealCatsFan
      10:39 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

Speaking of speeding, apparently they set a new record for the “Cannonball Run” cross-country trek. They went from NYC to LA in less than 27 hours. To do that, they had to AVERAGE 103 MPH. Kind of crazy, and not exactly safe. I don’t condone something like that, but I have been known to open’er up on a nice, deserted stretch of country road.

• ClutchCargo
      10:41 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

Yep, the cops have announced they won’t do anything about it. Not sure of the procedure I should follow in the event that I shoot a burglar. I wouldn’t want to overwhelm the emergency room.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:48 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

Yeah, I think I mentioned this last week, but on the KSR post about Louisville police saying they won’t respond to burglaries, etc., I posted “Yeah, burglaries never turn violent. Okay.” Some guy, who defended them in another comment prior to mine, responded to me saying “Take care of it yourself! Okay!” I said “I’m prepared to do that, but if I…ummm…make a mess, are they going to clean it up or do I have to do that too?” Of course I don’t live there, and I don’t know that police where I live have said that (either officially or behind closed doors).

2. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:14 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

IQ, we hardly knew ye.

Cat fans, maybe this will help just a little. You’re welcome, and thanks to Lipman 1:

• RealCatsFan
      10:16 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

So sad that we don’t get to watch his Zen-like FT shooting, but at least we got him for 2 years instead of just 1. Still, sad about it.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:54 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

If you all haven’t clicked the link, it’s the UK-Houston game with the Twin Towers Bowie & Turpin v. Akeem The Dream back in 1984. Another year we had a team that could have won it all but, sadly, wilted under the pressure of Georgetown’s defense in the FF. It was Houston that Georgetown beat in the final, BTW.

3. ClutchCargo
    10:14 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

I have become what I used to consider a germophobe. That’s probably not a bad thing, I guess. But now I’m battling the mentality that all other people I encounter in public (when I have to go to the grocery or whatever) are evil. lol I mean, even to the point that I avoid eye contact, and that’s just not me at all.

• Realme
      10:20 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

I’ve always preferred to have my space in public, people get on my nerves. It’s like everyone is just acting like me now.

I was in a store last week, after they started limiting the number of people, and everyone was doing it right. Except for the lady who opened her mouth to yell at someone 20 feet away, right as I was passing. I thought about going Anesthesiologist On A Teenage Girl on her.

• RealCatsFan
      10:23 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

I had to rent the carpet cleaner from Home Depot, and I ran by there on the way home from work last week about 25 minutes before they closed. I was turned away because the line was too long. Sigh…

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:33 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

Since we’re ranting, did you see the Michigan gov banned the selling of seeds and plants, even produce, not just flowers. Yeah, that makes TOTAL sense! Grocery stores can’t keep shelves stocked and you’ve just banned growing your own food! I don’t know which is worse between that and her closing gun stores, but don’t get me started…….oh, too late. That doesn’t even complete the list of things she has nonsensically deemed non-essential. This is what happens when we let politicians decided what is and isn’t essential. Police state on display folks.

Her reasoning: ban anything that makes people have to go get gas and congregate at the gas stations. *face palm*

BTW, she is being pushed by a lot of people to be Joe Biden’s running mate.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:34 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

Oh, and a lot of these emergency/bug out type kits you can buy, guess what they often include? That’s right, seeds for growing your own food.

• Realme
      10:37 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

That’s a little much, Michigovernor.

• RealCatsFan
      10:41 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

I have seen a lot of people arguing that if the garden centers at the big box stores are open, then churches should be free to hold services, but you can make the argument that some people prefer to grow their own food to shelter in place.

• runningunnin.454
      10:45 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

Chris; I think Kentucky Statute 39a listing the Governor’s powers in a state of emergency says, he/she can limit the sale or consumption of goods EXCEPT firearms and ammunition…interesting that.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:50 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

I like that RG.

Apparently Michigovernor thinks she can limit the consumption of food too.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:21 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

So many people who are doing shelter-in-place or working from home are talking about a slower pace of life, getting closets and rooms reorganized, etc. But for me, life is probably even MORE busy than before. I work for an essential business, and when I get home I have 347 projects at home to work on. This weekend I continued my fence rebuild process, cleaned basement carpet, installed a new dishwasher, and the inevitable and inexhaustible yard work. Tonight I get to fix a leaky kitchen sink, and I’m sure something else around the house will break or crap out to give me something else to do. It just never ends…

5. Laker Cat 18
    10:23 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

The Sopranos EP3 seems to start a turn in events with the plot. Must admit, this one cover the most ground in sucking me into the show.

1. Tony’s wife learns a big secret about his past connection with a female family friend. It seems to start affecting their relationship going forward.
    2. Tony’s uncle responds to Christopher’s wild antics, possibly starting a family feud.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:27 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

Got the letter on Friday that the nursing home where my 91 year old mom is staying reported one resident and one staff member with COVID19. Crap…

• Realme
      10:32 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

Well you didn’t have enough to worry about. /s

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:36 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

Oh no man, I’m so sorry to hear that. Prayers.

7. Laker Cat 18
    10:28 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

My wife works in the Columbia facility. Those numbers aren’t accurate. 42 residents, 7 staff currently. It’s not good.

• Realme
      10:45 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

I missed what you’re referring to. Is your wife an employee at a place (nursing home?) with 49 cases?

• Laker Cat 18
      10:50 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

Yes, the numbers Matt reported for the nursing home in Adair County are wrong.

• Realme
      11:00 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

So 2 wives in the medical field, a gravely ill cousin, a mom in a nursing home. Who else should be on our show thread prayer list? I guess you could add my husband who works in public so people can eat.

• RealCatsFan
      11:17 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

We always say a prayer before dinner when we sit down to eat as a family, and we usually ask for blessings for people who we feel need one. But our prayer list has gotten so long lately that the food gets cold and we have to microwave it. 🙁

8. RealCatsFan
    10:43 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

Got an update on my cousin in Mississippi who is on a vent battling coronavirus. Apparently one of the doctors told his daughter that he has a 1 percent chance of surviving. Yep, that’s right, ONE PERCENT. I’m not sure why he didn’t just tell her to go ahead and dig the hole. 🙁

• Realme
      10:47 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

That’s awful too.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:50 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

Wow. No words, but prayers for your entire family.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:51 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

That’s terrible. Here’s to hoping your cousin falls into that 1%.

9. RealCatsFan
    10:52 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

Isn’t Joan Osborne from Kentucky originally? I’ll have to look it up.

• Realme
      11:01 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

Sounds right.

10. Realme
    11:12 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

Best interview so far by a mile.

• RealCatsFan
      11:15 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

Love listening to Heschel. Sounds like a really grounded dude and a genuinely good person. And he was an absolutely amazing athlete.

• ClutchCargo
      11:19 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

Yes! I love his ability to keep things in perspective.

• ClutchCargo
      11:21 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

I think I might love Herschel’s parents even more than Herschel, just from what he has told about them.

• runningunnin.454
      11:26 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

Still SEC rushing leader? I think so.

• RealCatsFan
      11:29 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

Wow, count me as a huge HW fan after this interview! 🙂

• Laker Cat 18
      11:31 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

That was a GREAT interview, one of the better ones KSR has seen in awhile.

• RealCatsFan
      11:32 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

This interview was an instant classic. UGA fans must be understandably proud of him. As an American, I am proud of him.

• ClutchCargo
      11:33 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

I love what he said about working with your QB, even if you don’t like him, hang out with him, etc. Vote for another person when you get that chance, but work with this QB for the good of the team right now. Solid advice.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      11:55 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

I saw Herschel’s last college game live (I didn’t know it would be his last at the time). Unfortunately the wrong team won (Sugar Bowl, and PSU won the natty by beating undefeated #1 Georgia). Me and a friend/coworker who was a UGA student (he only worked with me in the summer) made the trip in his new Mustang and spent 2 nights in that thing like a couple crazy younguns.

11. UKFanSC
    11:28 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

Stevie Wonder could see this one coming. Best of luck IQ, you are a credit to our program.

• RealCatsFan
      11:30 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

I was selfishly hoping he would come back for another year, but I hope he finds great success whatever he does. Fine young man. And I will miss seeing his family in the stands of Rupp.

• ClutchCargo
      11:35 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

I’ll miss IQ. But Cal has a knack for bringing in quality people, and I don’t see that changing. That makes it a little easier to take.

12. ClutchCargo
    11:43 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

Ryan goes on some really dumb rants sometimes. Of course NFL teams don’t completely base a player’s worth on the combine workouts. It’s just another way to quantify their ability when the level of competition on the field isn’t the same across the board. I do agree that an increased emphasis on game tape should help Lynn Bowden.

13. runningunnin.454
    11:46 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

I really want to see Matt and Ryan on a bobsled run…vrooooom.

• ClutchCargo
      11:54 am April 13, 2020 Permalink

Ryan’s flowing locks smacking Matt in the face as he screams like a little girl. lol