KSR Show Thread 4/1: Group Therapy

Welp, this stinks. The day after a season-ending loss is brutal, but we’ll get through this together with two hours of Kentucky Sports Radio.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

81 Comments for KSR Show Thread 4/1: Group Therapy

1. runningunnin.454
    9:55 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

Thanks PJ and Reid for all your hard work and a wonderful year. You will always have a special place in my heart.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      9:56 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

Totally agree!

• Well said. I am thoroughly embarrassed about the “fans” that questioned PJ’s heart about playing.

10:03 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

I’m really going to miss those guys.

• ClutchCargo
      10:07 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

I really wanted Reid to make it to the Final Four in his hometown. I hate that he won’t get to do that.

• Realme
      10:10 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

Same.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:58 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

Same.
      Gratitude to these guys.
      Lucky enough to see the beat down of Auburn at Rupp.

This was a great team!

• cwillis
      11:11 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

Great Season! Disappointed how it turned out but enjoyed these guys. I know people are upset BUT I will take Coach Cal and what he has done for this program over anyone. I remember the 1980’s where we only went to one FINAL FOUR. Should we have more titles in the last ten years? Yes but how many more titles should Duke have under Coach K?? At least we haven’t lost to Lehigh like Duke. Coach K has a tremendous amount of talent in the last 35 plus years and he doesn’t win them all. Love Coach Cal and just remember the Gillespie days.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:27 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

Agree with all you said cwillis!

2. ClutchCargo
    10:00 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

Well, as bad as our game sucked, it is guaranteed that neither dook nor UNCheat will win it this year. Gotta look for those silver linings at a time like this.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:02 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

Sure did brighten my day after the loss.

• Realme
      10:11 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

Also same.

10:13 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

Duke losing did make me feel a little better.

• Yeah, a little, but just a little.

• friendsofcoal
      11:30 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

It made me feel a lot better but it was momentarily. Once I started thinking and looking at the 4 remaining teams then I got pi$$ed because we could’ve won it all relatively easy imo.

• ClutchCargo
      10:20 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

Part of it for me is that I never honestly believed this team was going to win the title, even if we got by Auburn. I’m just weirdly relieved that it’s over, and I can’t explain it.

• I didn’t either, but I was mostly afraid of Duke. Just like last year, in our bracket it was mostly Arizona, and they got beat. Then we stunk it up against K State.

3. Haha. Great minds think alike. I meant to try to be the first one in and start with “Welcome to group therapy”.

4. J-Dub421
    10:02 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

I love our team as much as I hate a lot of our fans right now.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:03 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

So well said Jdub. Same here.

• ClutchCargo
      10:05 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

I’m proud to say I almost completely stayed away from the online comments after the game. I really need less negativity in my life, not more.

• runningunnin.454
      10:09 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

There were 382 comments on the thread immediately after the game; a lot of them from people I didn’t even recognize. Never seen so much hatred in one place, and I am completely ashamed of some of our “fans”.
      Oh well, we probably won’t see them again until September when they start trashing the football team.

• ClutchCargo
      10:10 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, I saw that there were 200+ comments at the time I looked, so I kept scrolling. You know it’s just a bunch of monkeys throwing poop at one another at that point.

10:13 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

Truth RG. People literally make an account here just to complain after a loss, and then you never see them again. After wins there will be 20 comments, but after a loss 200+. There are a lot of angry, negative whiners out there. I wish they would just get out of our fanbase. If you hate Cal, and you hate 1 and dones, then go find a team more to your liking.

• StillBP
      10:24 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

truth all over this comment and replies!

• CATandMONKEY
      11:00 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

This is my first attempt at KSR since the game.
      Total embargo until now.

My cardiovascular system thanks me.

5. runningunnin.454
    10:12 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

Well, busy day and have to go. Everybody have a blessed day, and hold your heads up high.
    Remember, WE ARE KENTUCKY!

6. Realme
    10:12 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

Am I the only one that has a weird immunity to end of tourney pain since 2015? I completely freak out from nerves before a game starts, but if it goes bad, I’m totally fine.

7. Is part of the problem with Hagans’ defense that teams started figuring out what he was doing after he played so well in Dec/Jan? We didn’t even need the UNCheat Hagans to win yesterday. We just needed half that and we would have won.

BTW, I’m not hanging all this on him. It’s just one observation.

8. J-Dub421
    10:19 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

We got fouled 1000 times on our last possession in regulation and the refs swallowed their whistles.

• Realme
      10:24 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

Rewarded lots of flops too, but of course we lost due to missed free throws and turnovers and not taking it inside for long stretches.

10:29 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

True, but it’s still aggravating. We should have gone to the free throw line with a shot to win it before the end of regulation.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:32 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

They were hacking Reid multiple times every time he touched the ball and no call.

9. Realme
    10:23 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

I hope ESPN and other media collectively feel embarrassed for how they drooled all season over a team that as #1 overall seed couldn’t even get out of the Elite Eight. There are more stories making it sound like Ky failed hardest, but at least we played to our seed level.

• ClutchCargo
      10:26 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

I think they lack the self-awareness to be embarrassed. They will latch on to St. K’s rant about the lack of a plan for college basketball when on and done ends.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:32 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

And the Zion and K lovefest continues on ESPN and everywhere else.

• Realme
      10:33 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

K has done a garbage job with his talent since 2015.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:34 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

agreed realme. He has had more talent than any other team since then.

10:38 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

That’s what’s so irksome about all the idiots on here hating on Cal yesterday. Duke got the top 3 players in the class and still lost in the Elite Eight, just like we did and had almost the same record overall.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:40 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

We lost to a team that beat TN twice, beat Kansas bad and beat UNC by 20 and we were in the game until the end.

10:44 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

We also beat Auburn twice. It’s really hard to beat a team three times. Auburn wanted revenge for their prior losses, and were rallying around Okeke.

• Realme
      10:45 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

I am so sorry that Okeke got hurt, but all that bring him to the stadium at half time thing was a bit much.

10:47 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

Oh, it was grossly theatrical. A total publicity stunt.

10. Tyler Herro is gone. I think he could use another year, but I think he’s gone. If by chance I’m wrong, look out!

• ClutchCargo
      10:41 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

If everyone other than PJ who can come back does come back, next year’s team will be amazing.

• Realme
      10:46 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

Clutch, you know that won’t happen. If they can go, they will.

10:49 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

I would selfishly like more of our guys to come back, but if I put myself in their shoes…. If I had an opportunity to go to the NBA and immediately get 5 million dollars or more, I’m gone. I can’t blame them for going and taking the money.

• ClutchCargo
      11:05 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

I never get mad at someone who is a first round pick and stands to be set for life. This year is somewhat different, though. We have a lot of guys who are good, but not great. There is more of an argument for several of them to come back and improve, imho.

11. Realme
    10:51 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

Can we talk about all the weirdos that want Pearl as our coach if Cal leaves? Forget the sketchy stuff. He just went to his first final four ever, after decades of coaching. That’s not UK caliber. For the record, I like him, and I like how he interacts with his players.

• And he’s 59 years old. I want someone who, if successful, will hang around a while. They won’t all coach into their 70s like Kount K.

10:55 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

Agreed.

10:57 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

One of Pearl’s assistant coaches got arrested in the FBI probe. There could be a further reconing for Pearl and Auburn. Heck, their whole season this year could end up getting vacated.

10:58 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

Or a reckoning, that too. 😉

• StillBP
      10:59 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

his level of sweat is unnerving. I felt sorry for his shirt.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:04 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

Wouldn’t want him to take over but could accept him for two weeks as a “guest coach” if Cal were to get a bionic ear implant or similar.

• ClutchCargo
      11:08 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

I like Pearl, but I like him right where he is.

12. J-Dub421
    10:54 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

Thanks to my show thread peeps. You all are making me feel better. I mostly stayed away from the comments sections yesterday, but read a few and was wanting to flip tables in anger. Y’all remind me that there are normal fans out there.

13. StillBP
    10:55 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

Off topic but thought I’d bring some humor in here for y’all. A Louisville fan came over to my office this morning to rub our loss in my face (even though they were bounced game 1…that’s a Louisville fan for ya). After talking basketball for a while, they turned the convo over to football. They said they were going to beat us in football this year because we lost so many players on defense from last year and our offense sucks. I brought up the fact that half of their team transferred and a first year coach in football isn’t going to work miracles but they went on and on about how badly they are going to beat us. I asked if it was an April Fools joke and they said no, we can put some money on the game in November.

10:58 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

Lol, that’s hilarious.

• ClutchCargo
      11:15 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

You should ask them what they are willing to bet right now. Why wait until November? It might not be another 5 TD win, but it should be a win nonetheless.

14. woodeaglevigil
    11:10 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

Tater Day in Benton, KY is always done on the Monday of spring break week when the Marshall County schools (and most other KY schools) are on their spring break.

15. J-Dub421
    11:20 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

I secretly hope Tony Barbee will take a head coaching job somewhere and we can go get Coach O back. (Not that I don’t like Barbee, I just loved Coach O and he’s a phenomenal recruiter.)

• Iamheasyouarehe
      11:25 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

I’m not a drinker but work next door to a kind of shady liquor store and walked over to get some chips in the middle of the day a couple months ago and Tony Barbee was in their haggling over some liquor in full UK gear. Not saying anything, just seemed weird to me. Met Coach O a few years back and he’s very personable, like him a lot.

• Realme
      11:28 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

Agree, Jdub. Not terribly attached to Justice either. They’re both fine, but it’s Robic and Payne I’d hate to lose.

11:41 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

Robic is here as long as Cal is. I do worry about losing KP though.

• ClutchCargo
      11:46 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

I honestly think KP is not really a fan of being in the spotlight, and much prefers to do hands on coaching of the players. A head coaching job would change those two things for him. It’s probably the reason he has been an assistant for so long without landing a HC job at some level. Plus, he’s getting paid more as a UK assistant than as a HC at some entry level smaller program.

11:49 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

KP is welcome to stay at UK as long as he wants.

• ClutchCargo
      11:51 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

I’m sure that is true for him. He is doing what he loves, and has the closest thing to job security as you can have in coaching.

16. Random question: why don’t emojis work on iPad on this site? Did WordPress disable that?

17. J-Dub421
    11:56 am April 1, 2019 Permalink

I just read that out of more than 17 million brackets, only .02% of brackets had these 4 teams in the Final Four. Long story short, almost no one thought these teams would be in the Final Four, and the best teams don’t always win the title.

18. 2thepoint
    12:17 pm April 1, 2019 Permalink

J-Dub, you know uou just jinxed them staying. Don’t be angry with me, but I had to say that tring to reverse the jinx