KSR Show Thread, 3/5: Tune in to KSR now!

Get to your radio or radio streaming device because we have a lot to address on KSR on this Monday morning. The KHSAA declared its champ over the weekend, the NCAA women too, and tonight we’ll learn Gonzaga’s fate in its chase for the undefeated season.

Plus we’re without Ryan for a fourth straight day as his vacation continues.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

75 Comments for KSR Show Thread, 3/5: Tune in to KSR now!

1. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    9:59 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

I clicked through 50 thousand pics of trucks to say, “RCF, this is for you!”

You’re always talking about the 90s music you love, so I thought you’d get a kick out of this if you haven’t seen it.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:10 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

And BTW, I didn’t realize the drummer was Dave Grohl until I read some of the comments.

• RealCatsFan
      10:22 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

Dave Grohl is an American hero! And I would have loved to have had him as the drummer in my wedding – even if the cake would have been trashed. 🙂

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:29 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

It’s so funny when you think they’re going to start crooning or something, then they start kicking over tables and drinks. Read the comments. One guy says something about this being the best fake band ever and he wants to hear more.

I’m not into 90s music like you (I want to…ahem…do some damage to the thousands of front men that imitated Eddie Vetter after Pearl Jam got hot), but Nirvana had some kick rear end tunes.

2. runningunnin.454
    10:04 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

So, we all supposed to be Reds fans ’cause Matt has been to a few games? I do understand the Reds and Cardinals fandom. I liked going to Tiger games back in the day; for a big city, the people were all very friendly, and loved to talk baseball. Liked to sit next to older fans that saw some of the best; Charlie Gehringer, Hank Greenberg, Jim Bunning, Eddie Matthews. I did see Mr Tiger, Al Kaline (put his name together and you’ve got a battery).
    Sat next to an old timer once that actually saw the Georgia Peach play (that’s Ty Cobb for you youngsters), and no, before you start, I never saw him play, his last game was 1928.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      10:12 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

Haha on that last line. Great stories. Now MLB has been taken over by the mob moving the All-Star game based on a blatant lie about the GA voter bill. My wife just flew Delta. Delta is opposed to the GA bill. My wife had to show her ID to get on the plane.

3. Realme
    10:11 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

I’m in allergy sinus hell these last couple weeks (and / or covid vaccine side effects hell) and every minute of my work day is trying to not have a coughing fit that would scare my co-workers to death. Maybe it’s the Ohio Valley Crud.

• runningunnin.454
      10:14 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

Only cure for Ohio Valley Crud is United Van Lines.

• RealCatsFan
      10:23 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

My older daughter has been suffering with it too. Surprisingly, I haven’t been hit yet. It’s more of a fall thing for me.

10:29 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

It’s pretty bad for me right now, and I understand trying to not have a coughing fit. Somehow I have managed to avoid that. Fall is worse for me normally. Ragweed is my nemesis. I went through a several year stretch where I would completely lose my voice for a week or two each late summer/fall.

• RealCatsFan
      10:29 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

rg, as I understand it, places like Phoenix don’t provide the kind of allergy escape that they once did. All those fancy irrigated lawns and gardens have managed to produce plenty of pollen of their own.

4. Realme
    10:13 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

That last second shot was so sympathy painful. Why do we allow that? Let’s make a rule.

• runningunnin.454
      10:17 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

Thankfully UCLA put up a good fight; the first game was a snooze fest. And, what was with the Ky Sweet Sixteen, never saw so many blow outs, including the title game.

• RealCatsFan
      10:24 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

I really wish Juzang had pulled up for a jumper instead of trying to go inside and getting called for a charge at the end of regulation. The game was theirs to win at that point. Blown opportunity. And what was the deal with them just walking it up the court with so little time remaining?

10:34 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

I was yelling at them to stop wasting time (like I often do when we’re playing at the end of a game). And yes, that charge and the block were the moments that the game was lost / won.

10:52 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

I watch more NBA than college basketball, and I don’t understand why most college teams seem to have so little awareness of time and score.

5. runningunnin.454
    10:21 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

But, but, but if Juzang had returned to UK, he would have played behind Askew, Boston, and Clarke; I have no doubt.

• JTHinton
      10:31 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

He absolutely would have! I don’t blame him for leaving, it’s clearly worked out for Juzang

6. JTHinton
    10:21 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

I’ll never understand the contingent of fans who root against Juzang, and root against Gonzaga solely because they’re not over us blowing the 2015 season. It’s not the Zags fault UK lost to Wisconsin!

• RealCatsFan
      10:26 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

When UK is not in the tourney, I usually pull for the underdog in a given game, unless it is a team that I really dislike, like dook, UNCheat, Kansas, etc. And I don’t like UCLA at all either, so I had a serious case of cognitive dissonance. I wanted UCLA to win and then lose to Baylor. Oh well.

And I absolutely reserve the right to remain “butt hurt” about the 2015 game! 😉

• JTHinton
      10:34 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

Something i didn’t remember about that game — the badgers ended on a 15-4 run. One call didn’t cost us that game … Wisconsin just took it to us. That 2015 season was filled with several elite teams (Wisconsin, Arizona, Duke, Villanova) in addition to us. It’s a shame we didn’t take care of business, but I dont get rooting against Gonzaga to preserve Indiana’s undefeated record just because we didn’t get it done in 2015

10:38 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

What can I say? I desperately want Gonzaga to lose. To each his own.

• runningunnin.454
      10:42 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

Well, don’t scream at me; but, Cal is the reason we lost that game. Wisconsin was still trying to score and we held the ball til two seconds on the shot clock. We started that with a four point lead and five minutes left in the game when the Badgers were pulling on their shorts and looking at the scoreboard…telltale signs of a defeated team.

10:47 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

We were a horrible missed shot clock violation of still overcoming all of that, though. But you’re right, rg. It never should have been that close at that point in the game. Can we send Cal and Stoops to some kind of support group that helps them overcome playing not to lose?

10:51 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

Cal was one of the reasons, but he didn’t do that by himself. Our players and the officials did their part, and also that time literally spent the entire season preparing to meet us again after the previous tourney.

10:51 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

*that team

7. runningunnin.454
    10:25 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

Never saw a concert between final four games before; but, she was pretty good. I do think Debbie Harry did a better job on the Blondie song.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:28 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

So our UK Women’s Volleyball team gets the overall #2 seed! Woohoo!

Downside, they put WKU in our bracket to have to play us very early. Those bastards did the same thing a few years ago. So sick of that kind of crap.

• runningunnin.454
      10:33 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

They do it in basketball, too. Seems like we’re always a game away from WKU or UL.

9. JTHinton
    10:30 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

I don’t know one single person who is upset that Powell is not on our roster …

10:35 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

Cal hating twitter was big mad. I’d rather have Grady.

10:38 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

Me either. There is a handful of complainers on here that keep it going, and Powell is just something to latch onto for them. Getting Carr from Minnesota would make a bigger impact on this roster.

• RealCatsFan
      11:04 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

I hate the idea that he is playing for UT and will probably go all Chris Lofton on us when we play them. But I can see why he might not have had a good spot on our roster as things stand now.

• RealCatsFan
      11:05 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

All UK fans will have to accept the fact that there will likely never be a team like the Unforgettables again – of mostly UK players. About all we can hope for is to have a couple of in-state kids on the roster who get some meaningful playing time and can act as the glue-guy, aka Darius Miller.

11:07 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

Additionally, as it stands now, he has to sit out the upcoming season for UT.

10. RealCatsFan
    10:33 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

You guys are going to hate me, but I will be going with my younger daughter on a tour of daVille this afternoon. She is planning to eventually go to dental school, and they have a highly regarded dental program over there. I will do my very best to steer her away from being anywhere near Minardi Hall.

Upside is that she has tours of UK and WKU later this week. 🙂

10:37 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

I thought you were raising them right! Just kidding. Hopefully if she goes there she won’t be converted.

10:41 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

Some of the most die-hard card fans I know actually went to UK for at least undergrad, and vice-versa. My wife even has her masters degree from daVille. That was just because of their proximity to us while she was already working full-time, though.

• RealCatsFan
      10:52 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

No way, rm! She’s a Cat through and through. 🙂

10:53 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

She may find you a nice Card son in law!

• RealCatsFan
      11:02 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

Older daughter’s boyfriend is a Card fan (and LSU – his mom is from down there). They have been together for over 3 years, so ya never know. He’s a good kid though, even though he got lost somewhere along the way. 😉

• runningunnin.454
      11:04 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

If so, make them change your oil.

11. runningunnin.454
    10:51 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

So what is Mintz’s big decision? NBA…really?

10:54 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

Is there an announcement pending?

12. Laker Cat 18
    10:52 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

Mintz as a backup is hard for me to fathom. That’s not happening. He’s not coming back to backup anyone.

11:02 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

I hope you’re wrong. Having Mintz on the roster (or not) would make a big difference.

• runningunnin.454
      11:02 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

I think he would start, and get big minutes; he can also play 2 guard. Mintz and Grady could allow time for Hickman’s growing pains. Think eventually Hickman will be a good one.

11:05 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

I’m basing my hopeful outlook on our history of having multiple guys on the floor who can all play pg.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:07 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

Mintz is a stud. I can’t imaging how good he would have been for us had we not been in the middle of a pandemic with no fans.

11:10 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

Once Cal dubbed him the official dagger thrower, he seemed to relax and take it to another level.

11:15 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

I wouldn’t call him a stud, I would call him the least bad on a team full of bad players. May he return and prove me wrong.

• runningunnin.454
      11:32 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

Ouch, Rm; that’s pretty harsh.

11:33 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

Don’t get me wrong, I love him, but I remember plenty of bad games from him.

11:39 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

I’m going to ass-u-me (if he comes back) that the Mintz we saw late in the season is the real Mintz. He was so much more confident by the last few games.

13. Realme
    10:53 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

I watched an episode of “Iyanla, fix my life” once (idk why), and it was DMX. He was an absolute wreck. Felt bad for him.

14. ClutchCargo
    11:03 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

Strong-ass TWD episode last night! Great way to wrap up season 10, but it probably could have been done sooner.

11:08 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

Something to look forward to.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:11 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

Negan is a badass. Straight up. He’s my favorite character on TWD by far.

11:13 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

BOOOO Negan! He should still be in jail for what he did to Abe and Glenn.

11:15 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

Easily one of the best episodes since the very early seasons. The very end doesn’t seem to make sense with the scene immediately before it, but it makes sense based on what happens next in the comics. I haven’t actually read all of it, but I’m familiar with that particular part of the story.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:16 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

To be fair, that one episode when Negan killed Glen resurrected a dying Walking Dead. It had to happen. Unfortunately, Glen had to be the sacrifice.

11:21 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

I hated it, and wished that I had stopped watching before that season. Seriously regretted ever seeing it, and the following season was so endlessly negative for the “good guys” that it took me a long time to like the show again.

11:27 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

I was fine with that one episode, but the entire next two seasons were just treading water and going nowhere.

11:29 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

I feel like one of the things that made TWD interesting early on was just when you thought things couldn’t get worse, they did, and in an interesting way. Eventually that got to a point where it was just overly negative and no longer interesting.

15. Realme
    11:11 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

I googled that lasagna. Did she cook it? And did a raccoon attack it?

11:20 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

I kind of feel bad for those people who were at some point proud of their work. lol I think better lighting and a different camera angle would have helped Lincoln Riley’s brisket, maybe. If anything, it’s probably just too low a grade of meat to start with. A D-1 head coach needs to be using at least Prime, if not wagyu.

11:21 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

It looked pretty dry, but we only saw the outside edge really.

16. Laker Cat 18
    11:14 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

We watched The Vanished on Netflix this weekend. Started out terrible with bad acting and horrendous producing…Ended crazy. Not sure how much I would recommend it.

11:23 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

I saw that several months ago. In their defense, the bad acting in the beginning kind of has its place, once you have gotten through the story. I actually kind of liked it for something to watch during a pandemic.

17. Laker Cat 18
    11:37 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

I’m not taking Gonzaga seriously until they join the Pac-12 or another power 5. When they lose a few in the regular season, don’t get the 1-seed every year from a weak conference schedule, we’ll see how they do. Kids go there cause they play a [email protected]$$ schedule.

With that said, Few is a great coach. He’s done phenomenal there and has figured out how to work that mid-major system.

18. runningunnin.454
    11:39 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

Late title game start time tonight; maybe they can borrow Bill Walton for a couple of hours. He was on a roll Saturday; didn’t have to wait long to hear, “Conference of Champions”…multiple times. Methinks he puffs the magic dragon, ha ha.

11:42 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

I love that Bill Walton is on the Conference of Champions games, because I rarely watch those. I couldn’t deal with having him on the title game.

• runningunnin.454
      11:49 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

He took one on the chin in the Gonzaga game, though. Still can’t believe there’s a team in the title game called Gonjaga, sounds like a monster in a Japanese movie, Gonjaga vs Mothra.

19. Laker Cat 18
    11:41 am April 5, 2021 Permalink

I thought Kenny Payne was a shoe-in for DePaul. I saw they hired someone else. How did that fall through?